or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Many obese people see no need to lose weight

Many obese people see no need to lose weight

post #1 of 42
A substantial proportion of obese people don't think they're too fat, new research shows.
Among more than 2,000 obese Dallas County residents surveyed in 2000-2002, 14 percent of African Americans and 11 percent of Hispanics -- but just 2 percent of whites -- believed that they did not need to lose weight, Dr. Tiffany M. Powell of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and her colleagues found.

Rest of the article:
post #2 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

A substantial proportion of obese people don't think they're too fat, new research shows.
Among more than 2,000 obese Dallas County residents surveyed in 2000-2002, 14 percent of African Americans and 11 percent of Hispanics -- but just 2 percent of whites -- believed that they did not need to lose weight, Dr. Tiffany M. Powell of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and her colleagues found.

Rest of the article:

This is insane. Obesity leads to heart attacks, diabetes,strokes, high blood pressure and eventually death. Good luck to these ignorant people who say this.
post #3 of 42
I have read articles that say that the ideal BMI is too low - highest life expectency is with a BMI between 25 and 30, not 20 and 25 - the the highest health risk is for people with BMIs below 20 and above 40.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #4 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

Rest of the article:

Obesity is not the problem, food addiction is. An addict will never admit to being addicted.
We have an expensive war against drugs which is going no where but if anyone would wage a war against food addiction the right will cry "liberty" " big government" "I want the freedom to roll around in my feces".
Obesity only cost us $ 147 billion per year. Enough to send everyone one who wants to go to college for free.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Obesity is not the problem, food addiction is. An addict will never admit to being addicted.
We have an expensive war against drugs which is going no where but if anyone would wage a war against food addiction the right will cry "liberty" " big government" "I want the freedom to roll around in my feces".
Obesity only cost us $ 147 billion per year. Enough to send everyone one who wants to go to college for free.

I fail to see how political parties have anything to do with this.

Obesity crosses all demographics. It's a war between idiots and the informed.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #6 of 42
It's all about self-control.
It is NOT an addiction... food does not trigger a chemical change in the brain like addictive substances do.

Many people just lack the self control to stop eating when they should.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #7 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I fail to see how political parties have anything to do with this.

Obesity crosses all demographics. It's a war between idiots and the informed.

Same thing.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It is NOT an addiction... food does not trigger a chemical change in the brain like addictive substances do.

What...? Are you kidding? You can not be this uninformed, that's impossible, wow...!
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #9 of 42
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #10 of 42
Quote:

Same thing.

I hate [insert your political party here]. That goes for [insert political party of whoever's also reading this post here], as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Obesity caused by a virus, maybe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenovirus_serotype_36

Oh, yeah, that'd be great. A nice clean excuse for the people who won't stop eating.

I was obese as a child. We're talking near-morbid/definite health problems obesity. I then chose not to eat lunch at school and have since progressed to only three meals a week. You wouldn't imagine the money saved and I've gone from 60% body fat to around 12%.

It's amazing how much time people waste eating that they could be using to work. Get ahead of the game, you see.

post #11 of 42
Quote:

Obesity caused by a virus, maybe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenovirus_serotype_36

Yea RIGHT. Obesity is caused a virus that forces people to stuff their pie hole (that and HFCS). But NEVER our fault!

I work in a hospital and I tell people all the time that you need to stay healthy in case you get sick. Got cancer? Whole lot more difficult to cure in over weigh people. Need surgery? Anesthesia is so much more difficult and recovery longer when you are unhealthy. Need a joint replacement? Yea because that extra 200 lb you carry wore them out early!

Here's my diet plan. Everyday eat a little better and a little less. Stop and maintain when you are skinny. Get some running in.
post #12 of 42
Quote:

Oh, yeah, that'd be great. A nice clean excuse for the people who won't stop eating.

I was obese as a child. We're talking near-morbid/definite health problems obesity. I then chose not to eat lunch at school and have since progressed to only three meals a week. You wouldn't imagine the money saved and I've gone from 60% body fat to around 12%.

It's amazing how much time people waste eating that they could be using to work. Get ahead of the game, you see.

Well, personally I would have had myself tested before I posted something like you posted. IMHO, you only have the right to post that if you actually have the virus and beat it.

I doubt it works by making you eat more.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #13 of 42
Quote:

What...? Are you kidding? You can not be this uninformed, that's impossible, wow...!

OK... in GENERAL, food does not cause the same addictive reaction that certain "drugs" do ... I suppose we have to admit that you could make a salad from coca leaves and that would be as addictive as Cocaine. Or putting certain types of mushrooms on your salad could have a similar effect. certain foods can trigger a release of endorphins and such... but not at the level of the chemicals we consider addictive!

Yes, our bodies require food, and will crave it when we are hungry... but that is NOT the same as an addiction like we see with Heroin.
Calling obesity an "addiction" is just plain stupid. It's making excuses for a lack of self control.
post #14 of 42
Quote:

Well, personally I would have had myself tested before I posted something like you posted. IMHO, you only have the right to post that if you actually have the virus and beat it.

I doubt it works by making you eat more.

Yeah, heaven forbid I post an obesity success story without having the "obesity virus". I realize now that it's obviously meaningless to change your lifestyle for the betterment of your health without having a medical reason to do so.

post #15 of 42
Quote:

Yeah, heaven forbid I post an obesity success story without having the "obesity virus". I realize now that it's obviously meaningless to change your lifestyle for the betterment of your health without having a medical reason to do so.

No, you were putting people down without knowing if you had the same weakness. Like if I criticized an alcoholic - "why can't you quit drinking? I had no trouble, you must be a loser" when I don't have the gene that makes it hard to stop drinking. I have a bmi of 26, btw, so I am pretty sure I don't have the virus because I eat like a pig and love every minute of it.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #16 of 42
Quote:

No, you were putting people down without knowing if you had the same weakness. Like if I criticized an alcoholic - "why can't you quit drinking? I had no trouble, you must be a loser" when I don't have the gene that makes it hard to stop drinking.

Terrible analogy. Food isn't an addiction. You make ONE conscious decision not to eat as much and boom, lifestyle change. The difference between obese me and and me now is willpower. Absolutely nothing more.

Quote:
I have a bmi of 26, btw, so I am pretty sure I don't have the virus because I eat like a pig and love every minute of it.

Now you we can criticize, you're saying.

post #17 of 42
Quote:

Many people just lack the self control to stop eating when they should.

Ever hear of the word self control that is what most people lack today and another word moderation.
post #18 of 42
Quote:

Terrible analogy. Food isn't an addiction. You make ONE conscious decision not to eat as much and boom, lifestyle change. The difference between obese me and and me now is willpower. Absolutely nothing more.

Now you we can criticize, you're saying.

You have willpower, but not math skills - there was a statistically significant difference in weight gain between the people with the virus and the people w/o.

And criticize me however you like.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #19 of 42
Quote:

I hate [insert your political party here]. That goes for [insert political party of whoever's also reading this post here], as well.

3 meals a week is unhealthy in itself, you've "progressed" from one extreme to the other and sound anorexic. People don't need to "stop eating". The best approach about a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Not this kind of sick control.
Signatures are boring.
Signatures are boring.
post #20 of 42
Quote:

...the people with the virus and the people w/o.

You're missing the subtle point I'm making: THE VIRUS IS A CROCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post

3 meals a week is unhealthy in itself, you've "progressed" from one extreme to the other and sound anorexic. People don't need to "stop eating". The best approach about a balanced, healthy lifestyle. Not this kind of sick control.

It's surprisingly not. I gain weight if I eat any more than that, and I'm not psychologically or physically compromised by eating this amount. I completely agree that balance is the proper way to go about things, but there are aberrational cases, like myself.

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Yea RIGHT. Obesity is caused a virus that forces people to stuff their pie hole (that and HFCS). But NEVER our fault!

I work in a hospital and I tell people all the time that you need to stay healthy in case you get sick. Got cancer? Whole lot more difficult to cure in over weigh people. Need surgery? Anesthesia is so much more difficult and recovery longer when you are unhealthy. Need a joint replacement? Yea because that extra 200 lb you carry wore them out early!

Here's my diet plan. Everyday eat a little better and a little less. Stop and maintain when you are skinny. Get some running in.

Excellent advice
post #22 of 42

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #23 of 42
Quote:

I think the definition of obesity is part of the problem. For example, I am overweight, but I am technically considered "obese." I see a need and have a desire to lose weight (and have before), but I'm also not panicking over the notion of staying where I am.

What I have a problem is what's going on in government right now concerning this. From Michelle Obama telling everyone what to do and then ordering a cheeseburger on a recent trip, to local governments/school districts and their health and wellness policies...it's the march of Health Nazis.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #24 of 42
In a world that has private health coverage, and not nationalized, universal coverage, this isn't an issue. You reap what you sow. However, when I am paying a large portion of my taxes to support health services for the obese, or smokers, or basically anyone with an egregiously unhealthy lifestyle, then it is a real problem.

The first thing we need to do is start watching world football (soccer) instead of American football. When the de-facto male sex symbol is a guy who is way above his natural weight, it doesn't help one bit. Any guy who has spent time in soccer-loving nations can vouch that the girls there are much less interested in large men than they are in the states. After a few generations of that, believe me, obesity won't be an issue.
Cat: the other white meat
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac View Post

Health is observable in itself, not a hidden product of other factors. If the subject exhibits signs of being healthy, then the subject is healthy.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

In a world that has private health coverage, and not nationalized, universal coverage, this isn't an issue. You reap what you sow. However, when I am paying a large portion of my taxes to support health services for the obese, or smokers, or basically anyone with an egregiously unhealthy lifestyle, then it is a real problem.

The first thing we need to do is start watching world football (soccer) instead of American football. When the de-facto male sex symbol is a guy who is way above his natural weight, it doesn't help one bit. Any guy who has spent time in soccer-loving nations can vouch that the girls there are much less interested in large men than they are in the states. After a few generations of that, believe me, obesity won't be an issue.

Yeah, that'll work. Let's start watching another sport. That's the ticket.
By the way, soccer is dumb.
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, that'll work. Let's start watching another sport. That's the ticket.
By the way, soccer is dumb.

I wrote that part mostly chuckling, which I'm sure you realize. That said, there is some truth in it. As for soccer, well, this year's world series reminded me of a good soccer game: suspenseful and low scoring. I'd be interested to see what the ratings were, compared to other years.
post #28 of 42
Quote:

It's all about self-control. It is NOT an addiction... food does not trigger a chemical change in the brain like addictive substances do. Many people just lack the self control to stop eating when they should.

Quote:

This sort of shocking "ignorance" stems more from the inability to see from another point-of-view, especially a POV that differs drastically from that of their own. Some people--intelligent as they are--simply cannot be dissuaded by even the most solid of evidences, once their minds are made up.

Obstinacy & obesity are equally unhealthy for the mind and destructive to your loved ones. Seek help or self-help, everyone. The least we can all do is not judgmental jerks.

My 2 ¢ on the topic at hand is that it's clearly just a step farther of "being ok with who you are". Y'know what, it's their lives, it's their choice. We don't know all their back stories, ergo, we've no right to judge them one way or another. Just let be.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heure limite de retour View Post

Y'know what, it's their lives, it's their choice.

My money. My healthcare system. My insurance premiums. Even though I'm not one of them.

post #30 of 42
Quote:

I wrote that part mostly chuckling, which I'm sure you realize. That said, there is some truth in it. As for soccer, well, this year's world series reminded me of a good soccer game: suspenseful and low scoring. I'd be interested to see what the ratings were, compared to other years.

I heard it was pretty bad. As a Philadelphia sports fan, I certainly didn't watch one inning.
post #31 of 42
Quote:

This sort of shocking "ignorance" stems more from the inability to see from another point-of-view, especially a POV that differs drastically from that of their own. Some people--intelligent as they are--simply cannot be dissuaded by even the most solid of evidences, once their minds are made up.

Obstinacy & obesity are equally unhealthy for the mind and destructive to your loved ones. Seek help or self-help, everyone. The least we can all do is not judgmental jerks.

My 2 ¢ on the topic at hand is that it's clearly just a step farther of "being ok with who you are". Y'know what, it's their lives, it's their choice. We don't know all their back stories, ergo, we've no right to judge them one way or another. Just let be.

It's also my environment. Morbidly obese persons do use more energy to drive around, to fly and to cook food. Even their clothing takes more energy to make than my 33x32 jeans do.
It is a problem for all of us.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #32 of 42
Quote:

It's also my environment. Morbidly obese persons do use more energy to drive around, to fly and to cook food. Even their clothing takes more energy to make than my 33x32 jeans do.

Morbidly obese people? Yes. But I really think their impact on the environment is negligible.
post #33 of 42
Quote:

Y'know what, it's their lives, it's their choice. We don't know all their back stories, ergo, we've no right to judge them one way or another. Just let be.

I am ALL FOR THAT.
The problem is, these fat folks want to take MY money to pay for health problems that are due to their weight... due to their own choices in life and their lack of self control.
Same goes for smoking... I don't care if they smoke, but they need to quit thinking that tax-money should be spent to help them when they get emphysema or cancer.
post #34 of 42
Quote:

Morbidly obese people? Yes. But I really think their impact on the environment is negligible.

Negligible ≠ 0
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #35 of 42
Quote:

Negligible ≠ 0

OK. What is the impact, then?
post #36 of 42
Quote:

I heard it was pretty bad. As a Philadelphia sports fan, I certainly didn't watch one inning.

I checked: pretty lousy ratings, although the world series ratings have steadily declined in recent years. They have upticks when a major market is involved (i.e. NYC), but otherwise it's clear interest is waning in baseball. Nonetheless, I enjoyed watching SF in the playoffs this year, which is rare because I'm not really a baseball fan, nor do I have much history with the Giants (I'm from DC).

Are we still talking about obesity? Tomorrow I am going to wash-down an entire pecan pie (albeit a small one) with rye whiskey and dogfishhead.
post #37 of 42
Quote:

I checked: pretty lousy ratings, although the world series ratings have steadily declined in recent years. They have upticks when a major market is involved (i.e. NYC), but otherwise it's clear interest is waning in baseball. Nonetheless, I enjoyed watching SF in the playoffs this year, which is rare because I'm not really a baseball fan, nor do I have much history with the Giants (I'm from DC).

Are we still talking about obesity? Tomorrow I am going to wash-down an entire pecan pie (albeit a small one) with rye whiskey and dogfishhead.

LOL. Agreed. This is not a good weekend to discuss obesity!
post #38 of 42
Originally Posted by Wormhole

Quote:

Ah, the Apple elite, driving around in their BMW's. I really think the resources used to make all of the stupid disposable toys and $60,000+ cars is a little more than a little cotton to make some jeans a little bigger. Give me a friggen break... A bunch of opinionated, judemental idgets.
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Ah, the Apple elite, driving around in their BMW's. I really think the resources used to make all of the stupid disposable toys and $60,000+ cars is a little more than a little cotton to make some jeans a little bigger. Give me a friggen break... A bunch of opinionated, judemental idgets.

What about those of us who feel the same way about fat people, but drive well-maintained 10+ year old vehicles and live in modest houses?

They can be fat on their own dime... they've got no business taking tax-funded help to pay for problems of their own creation!
post #40 of 42
Quote:

Of course obese people use more energy but because they die earlier in the end it balances all out.
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
I disagree, and could prove you're wrong; care to offer any proof that you're not wrong?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Many obese people see no need to lose weight