or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones

Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones - Page 4

post #121 of 193
NO

1. Adobe is overvalued (from the standpoint of Apple).

2. Facebook is overvalued.

3. Google has value. However, it would make Apple too big and is culturally incompatible.

4. Microsoft has value with its business products, and its brands, and sales accounts. Buying Microsoft would be a historic event. Apple can then build their own Windows virtualization layer right into the OS and treat it like Carbon, slowly suffocating it and nudging developers towards Cocoa. However, this would hardly fly with antitrust agencies.

CRAZY

5. Tesla. First you buy iPod, then iPad, then iMac, then iCar. Both computing devices and electric cars need high-efficiency batteries. Being the biggest customer for batteries (as it is now for Flash chips) would help Apple accelerate the research in chemistry.

6. Some robotics company. Fully automated factories for producing all the products. Move production back to the USA. No more leaks of the manufacturing processes to Taiwanese/Koreans. No more high-profile suicides. However, this will not happen because Apple is actually helping move the poor rural population to cities, while constantly insisting on higher standards of employee treatment.

MAYBE

7. Nuance. Would provide best-in-the-world speech recognition and synthesis for all world's languages. Currently recognition is available for what, English only? Potential problems with antitrust agencies, since Nuance currently owns almost everything related to speech.

8. EMI/Warner to introduce music innovations faster.

9. Film studio(s). This would help push the internet distribution channel as the golden standard and kill cable companies.

10. All the troubled satellite projects (Iridium etc.), which are currently undervalued. Merge them into one single global network, put one single satellite modem into iPod touch and get rid of mobile operators altogether. (This would hardly work since satellite does not work inside of buildings, but maybe they can use Wi-Fi inside of buildings, which will provide a use for then-defunct cable companies?) Potential problems with antitrust agencies. [Maybe SpaceX Technologies as well, to launch thousands of satellites on the cheap; this will provide Musk with necessary financing to turn Tesla into a big serious player.]

REAL

11. Skype is overvalued (from the standpoint of Apple), but it could be valuable simply because of the large existing user base (which could be seamlessly transitioned to Facetime). Apple already has infrastructure apps like iTunes for Windows or Safari for Windows, so a third one is not out of the question.

12. Luxology is undervalued. Would round out Apple's portfolio of creative apps with a 3D editor.

13. Even bigger stake in ARM/PowerVR. The only thing holding Apple from moving all computers to ARM processors is Light Peak, which they want to get from Intel before dumping them. (Read about all the ARM server/workstation companies springing up lately on http://eetimes.com)

Really, when thinking about acquisitions, I tend to think about two things: a) things that are not yet complete (e.g., Luxology modo completing Final Cut Pro and Logic pro apps, Voice Recognition only working with English); b) things which Apple spends the most money on, and is dependent on. As a complete outsider to the industry, I can only imagine what these latter things are, but probably it's Infineon baseband chips and Intel processors. So buying Qualcomm or creating a real global satellite data network makes certain sense. Moving to ARM makes sense (not too hard to imagine Intel/ARM Universal binaries, which would start with Trojan MacBook Air ARM).

Finally, I think Apple might just continue investing more into basic research. Chemistry, materials, chips, manufacturing processes etc. Basically, bringing us into the future faster than would happen otherwise.
post #122 of 193
If only they could afford Sony. With Apple's marketing sense and Sony's A/V expertise, they would be unstoppable in the home theater department.
post #123 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

That would be great! My only complaint with Apple is they prefer to build in China and put all their products on gas guzzling 747's.

I know the economics and the non-existant environmental controls...Autoworkers here in the USA, including the foreign transplants get $28/hr, Mexico gets $7/hr, India, $4/hr and China a $1/hr.

The Chinese will buy 11 million cars next year.

Also, next year China will be the largest manufacturer in the world and by 2020 will have the largest economy....not good!

Apple, could we have a few factories here? I would be happy to pay an extra $10 for my iPhone!

I couldn't agree more. Look at Intel's press release today:

Intel said it will spend between $6 billion and $8 billion to expand U.S. manufacturing, including the new Oregon factory. Overall, Intel said the projects will support at least 6,000 construction jobs and at least 800 new, long-term production jobs.

The company said it will upgrade its two Hillsboro research factories, D1C and D1D, and add a third -- D1X. The newest factory will open in 2013. Two factories in Arizona, Fab 12 and Fab 32, are also slated for upgrades.

"Intel makes approximately 10 billion transistors per second. Our factories produce the most advanced computer technology in the world and these investments will create capacity for innovation we havent yet imagined," Intel vice president Brian Krzanich said in a written statement. "Intel and the world of technology lie at the heart of this future. Contrary to conventional wisdom, we can retain a vibrant manufacturing economy here in the United States by focusing on the industries of the future."

Intel cares about American jobs where Apple ships them to Asia to accumulates obscene profits. I love Apple - but they are cutting out American suppliers left and right to save a buck (no Intel SSDs, new A4 chips fabed in Asia, Hard drives are usually Japanese and the list goes on and on and on.)

It's time we get on the case of the second biggest American corporation - we want the $51 billion invested here at home - we are in the middle of a depression here and Apple should step up and help it's home country or there won't be anyone left with enough income to afford apple products in the future! I love Apple but Intel and Microsoft are more "American" and are better for the economy.

Anyone willing to start a protest? Consumer outrage can make a real difference - look at the environmental movement - how about a jobs in the USA movement?
post #124 of 193
On a second thought, maybe Steve will just take the company private?
post #125 of 193
Buy Netflix

Then a wireless company for infrastructure (access to towers and spectrum), ubiquitous coverage, and then start installing "tv whitespace" technology on those towers.
post #126 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Yeah - I agree! That would be so funny and stir up the entire tech community in an unprecedented way. Simply because Steve would make true what he said recently: kill flash.

(This doesn't mean I think it was the best move of Apple to abandon it - but this would surely kill it.)

Adobe is pretty expensive and not what Steve is talking about. But it might be nice to get Adobe and then either take the good bits and sell off the bulk or take most of it and sell off the creft. Creative Suite could go to Filemaker, lots of juicy patents, postscript, etc.

Why kill Flash if you can sell it on (along with a bunch of other stuff.)
post #127 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Buy Adobe. Buy Microsoft. Buy Google.

I read that as 'bye'.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #128 of 193
Buy Twitter. If they'll sell. Which they won't. Ha.

I think Apple buying Twitter could be very interesting. Buying ARM probably isn't worth it. Buying Adobe? I'm not so sure if that would be a good idea. Apple buying FaceBook just seems odd. You can never tell with that crazy Steve, though. I couldn't see Zuck selling anyway.
post #129 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakovlev View Post

On a second thought, maybe Steve will just take the company private?

Do the math.
post #130 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeMine View Post

If only they could afford Sony. With Apple's marketing sense and Sony's A/V expertise, they would be unstoppable in the home theater department.

That wouldn't be the best way to spend 40B.

With a market CAP of just over 1B, they could buy Pioneer. Pioneer make the best TVs money can buy. That would be awesome. All of Pioneer's stuff is top-notch.
post #131 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post

I think at one point that was going to happen. It seems though that Apple's internal strategists have decided that Adobe will die off by itself... or at least is on such a decline that it would be wiser to buy later.

The tech world would cry foul at this point anyway if Apple bought them.

I always thought it would be interesting for Apple to buy a controlling interest in Tine Warner after the NBC merger happens. They might just do that.

Brilliant.Two birds, one stone. Force demand for the apple livingroom experience. Finally get NBC on board.

Maybe they could buy Fox just to shut them the hell up or turn them into a news organization.
post #132 of 193
The Killer APP for the living room
post #133 of 193
Quote:

3. Google has value. However, it would make Apple too big and is culturally incompatible.

Apple has 50B, not 200B.

Quote:

4. Microsoft has value with its business products, and its brands, and sales accounts. Buying Microsoft would be a historic event. Apple can then build their own Windows virtualization layer right into the OS and treat it like Carbon, slowly suffocating it and nudging developers towards Cocoa. However, this would hardly fly with antitrust agencies.

You have officially lost it. Where is this cash coming from? Microsoft are worth more than Google. Whoever they buy has to be under 50B, and if recent history tells anything, I don't see them spending over 10 or 15B on any acquisition.
post #134 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple has 50B, not 200B.

You have officially lost it. Where is this cash coming from? Microsoft are worth more than Google. Whoever they buy has to be under 50B.

They will have 200B. I am thinking about what might happen in future. Sorry if I didn't express that clearly.
post #135 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny-boy View Post

The Killer APP for the living room

I've said it before many-a-time. The killer app for the living room is very simple; subscription TV shows (one monthly fee) - but Apple can't get that deal inked, and perhaps never will.
post #136 of 193
Quote:

They will have 200B. I am thinking about what might happen in future. Sorry if I didn't express that clearly.

And, of course, they don't have to pay the full price out of pocket. They can work with banks and venture funds.
post #137 of 193
Quote:

You can't just throw out: "They will have 200B." They far more likely won't.
post #138 of 193
Quote:

And, of course, they don't have to pay the full price out of pocket. They can work with banks and venture funds.

I don't see that happening. There are much better ways to spend that hypothetical 200B.
post #139 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Facebook would seem to be a strange buy to me. Social network users are incredibly flickle, and I think Facebook is a short term thing. MySpace seemed worth paying a lot of money for to News International a couple of years ago, then everyone moved to Facebook and it seemed like a lousy buy.

I could see the same happening to Facebook.

I agree with that assesment. Facebook could be the next MySpace and fade into obscurity a lot faster than most people think now. I can't see Apple spending the kind of money Mark Zuckerberg would ask for Facebook now. A strategic collaboration, yes, an acquisition, no.

But how about AMD? Apple has taken the first step towards chip independence with the PA Semi and Intrinsity acquisitions for their iOS devices. How about going all in, and make their own CPU's for desktops and laptops, and free themselves from Intel? Graphics from ATI come as part of that package. It's certainly a big deal that would require the kind of cash Apple has been saving up, and furthermore it fits Steve's philosophy of owning and/or controlling the key technologies that Apple's products depend on. AMD - Apple Micro Devices?
post #140 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion View Post

I agree with that assesment. Facebook could be the next MySpace and fade into obscurity a lot faster than most people think now.

I can see your point, but I think Facebook are probably closer to Google than MySpace at this stage. FaceBook are too intelligent to simple fade away. That said, buying FaceBook would be a very weird move to say the least. Buying Twitter however would seem 'right' somehow. The only small issue is Twitter don't want to sell.
post #141 of 193
Quote:

But how about AMD? Apple has taken the first step towards chip independence with the PA Semi and Intrinsity acquisitions for their iOS devices. How about going all in, and make their own CPU's for desktops and laptops, and free themselves from Intel? Graphics from ATI come as part of that package. It's certainly a big deal that would require the kind of cash Apple has been saving up, and furthermore it fits Steve's philosophy of owning and/or controlling the key technologies that Apple's products depend on. AMD - Apple Micro Devices?

AMD has been suggested on Twitter yesterday a lot of times. It would be interesting, ATI (soon to be rebranded AMD) and all that. You have to wonder if it would be worth it though. Buying Palm would have been a smart move, I think. Even simply for their patent portfolio. But we all know they were beaten to the punch there.
post #142 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

The last time Apple made a big purchase like these investors are suggesting brought Steve Jobs back to Apple along with the brilliant crew of Next. Since then purchases have been a small chip maker here, a specialized software company there, the jukebox company which iTunes is based on (sorry the name escapes me) none of which are household names.
Apple doesn't seem to subscribe to the mentality of companies like, Microsoft-Yahoo, HP-Palm, Time Warner-AOL, etc... who's mergers or acquisitions have not proven to be great successes. Rumors and suggestions that Apple buy Adobe would benefit nobody but Adobe stock holders. Apple seems to look for technologies that have something new and exciting to offer allowing Apple to realize a product fully. Buying a large expensive company like Facebook (which may have peaked in popularity by now) is not how Apple does business. Why buy when you can license or make a deal to integrate a technology that seems timely giving you a way to drop it when the world has moved on.

The company name you were searching for was SoundJam (or the product was anyway).
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
I never get tired of being right all the time... but I do get tired of having to prove it to you again and again.
post #143 of 193
seriously this would make for a very interesting buy. They fit perfectly with Apples iOS platforms and there is plenty of opportunity to clean up the company. Plus iOS devices won't really take off until cell data rates drop significantly. Also they can get ride of some of the restrictions that current iPhone users have to deal with.

Dave
post #144 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can't just throw out: "They will have 200B." They far more likely won't.

You are right. I owe you a proof. Let's take the net profit data for the last 5 quarters:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL&fstype=ii

That would be $2,532M, $3,378M, $3,074M, $3,253M and $4,308M (net profit per quarters). Assuming linear growth of the net profit, they will amass additional $150B in 20 quarters, i.e. 5 years. So that's what I was talking about. Mid-term future. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

post #145 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Why would Apple want to spend the money to buy Adobe, then trash the crappy code, probably rebuild it from scratch and get stuck with the most expensive turd in the tech world, Flash? Let Adobe do all the heavy lifting with its apps. The day Adobe abandons its CS apps for Mac is the day they through away half of their income. Before that time comes watch for Apple to be out shopping for a little know company that has been working on the next great photo editing app.

You actually use any Adobe products? We make a lot of money using them - there is nothing out there to compete with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Flash (I know you don't like to hear this but there is no other program that offers the interactivity that Flash offers yet.) Premier Pro is better than FCP right now (event though we have stuck with FCP, we are testing Premier Pro and it has been pretty much rewritten from the ground up I believe) and I guess it is a tossup between Lightroom and Aperture but I do prefer the former as do others in our office even though they could use Aperture. Then there is After Effects (and please don't say Motion measures up). I do love Color but AE with some RGS plugins makes it very competitive and Color is a very unApple app and had a real learning curve. Acrobat Pro is also a great program and while Preview is fast to open, it does not offer the feature set up AP. Adobe would be a great purchase for Apple if they could make it through the regulatory hoops.
post #146 of 193
I don't think Steve Jobs comments imply in any way that they even have an acquisition in mind.
post #147 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I don't think Steve Jobs comments imply in any way that they even have an acquisition in mind.

Agreed.
post #148 of 193
Can't think of obvious choices, but that's why I'm not a CEO. Perhaps cover the spread, put minority but substantial investments in key areas to influence to apply the reality distortion field and influence direction.

Also I'd like to see technology endowments set up at US universities
US production facility
Free MobileMe with free traffic alerts/info and weather info in widgets.
An Apple research park, funding startups, 50/50 ownership
A satellite and it's own network(start with US)

What else? Ideas so far are mostly 'in the box'
IMO if they don't act soon, they have to start dividends.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #149 of 193
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say buy AMD.

AMD is cheap, a small fraction of their cash hoard.

Huge amount of IP

I suspect Apple is not happy about Intel being so important to them now, for example when they want to make you take the CPU with the GPU that sucks.

At first when Intel and Apple cozied up I got the feeling Intel was bending over backwards to do things apple wanted, now Apple has a greater market cap than Intel, they know Apple needs them, and are less inclined to "make them happy".

Apple could buy Intel too but that'd be a company changer / more of a merger and those 2 cultures would clash so badly.

AMD is a smaller fish, would give Apple immense control over their computing future, would probably get them first dibs at Global foundries chip factories, and take the secret stuff to a whole new level. It would also let them intermix software and hardware to an extreme level. It would take years to really see the collaboration, but I think that has a lot of long term potential.

AMD has been poor for so long, think what they could do with the financial clout of apple, plus PR wise AMD get's a huge burst from Apple's positive opinion in the marketplace. First apple was Chic and an underdog against Windows, next can be AMD. I think this has a lot more potential than any of the other mentions if you are looking for a shocker.
post #150 of 193
Quote:

You are right. I owe you a proof. Let's take the net profit data for the last 5 quarters.[/IMG]

Your mathematical chart doesn't account for things like Apple spending some of the money. And other companies also growing in value. Nice try, though.
post #151 of 193
Quote:

That could be interesting for sure. I have to admit I don't know enough about AMD's current IP to be able to comment on the merits of this, but given the success Apple have had with making their own processor for the iPad/iPhone, you can imagine them being interested in making their own processor for the Mac.

That could suggest ARM as being a worthy purchase and people here have commented on that, but I can't see it. Firstly, much of ARM's strength is that it's licensed, so it's everywhere. It's dominance makes it more likely to dominate (sadly like Windows). I also wonder how much being able to run Windows natively has helped Mac sales. If it's significant, surely the Mac won't move away from the x86 architecture?

That would play into the AMD theory.

Obviously this is all speculation. One thing I've learned from watching Apple is that they will do what you don't expect. I do think that they will have to do something with this cash at some point, so it's going to be interesting to find out what.
post #152 of 193
Nano Technologies.

Think small.....
post #153 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

These stories are always for clicks. We know they have acquisitions in mind, but the questions are: what companies? And how big are they? People always assume crazy stuff.
post #154 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkimKlaw View Post

AMD is a smaller fish, would give Apple immense control over their computing future, would probably get them first dibs at Global foundries chip factories, and take the secret stuff to a whole new level. It would also let them intermix software and hardware to an extreme level. It would take years to really see the collaboration, but I think that has a lot of long term potential.

I doubt buying AMD would give them any claim on Global Foundries, nor would I think they would want it. Chip manufacture is a spectacularly low margin business - why would they bother?
post #155 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkimKlaw View Post

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say buy AMD.

AMD is cheap, a small fraction of their cash hoard.

Huge amount of IP

I suspect Apple is not happy about Intel being so important to them now, for example when they want to make you take the CPU with the GPU that sucks.

At first when Intel and Apple cozied up I got the feeling Intel was bending over backwards to do things apple wanted, now Apple has a greater market cap than Intel, they know Apple needs them, and are less inclined to "make them happy".

Apple could buy Intel too but that'd be a company changer / more of a merger and those 2 cultures would clash so badly.

AMD has been poor for so long, think what they could do with the financial clout of apple, plus PR wise AMD get's a huge burst from Apple's positive opinion in the marketplace. First apple was Chic and an underdog against Windows, next can be AMD. I think this has a lot more potential than any of the other mentions if you are looking for a shocker.

You're over-simplfying it there. Think Different.
post #156 of 193
Since this is basically a "buy this" thread

I say buy Autodesk - get a multitouch AutoCAD program out.

Autodesk puts them into millions of corporate pockets (including mine at work). We use AutoCAD and Maya.

Imagine - Renderman included in every license of Maya...

They just released a AutoCAD for Mac (which my boss is looking into), and Maya has been on Mac for ages.
post #157 of 193
The 2 things I hope that Apple do look into buying are Adobe for the Creative Suite and Parallels Holdings, for the ability to incorporate the parallels interface into 10.7 or 10.8.

This way the OS would be creativity focused like it used to be and it can run windows apps so the business sector will not feel left out.
post #158 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously this would make for a very interesting buy.

AT&T are one carrier out of many many carriers worldwide that Apple deals with. Sometimes American's forget that. Besides, their market CAP is over three times the cash Apple has.
post #159 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Since this is basically a "buy this" thread

I say buy Autodesk - get a multitouch AutoCAD program out.

Autodesk puts them into millions of corporate pockets (including mine at work). We use AutoCAD and Maya.

Imagine - Renderman included in every license of Maya...

They just released a AutoCAD for Mac (which my boss is looking into), and Maya has been on Mac for ages.

Way too niche for Apple, considering it's 7.5B. When you consider Twitter, if available, would be worth about $4B.
post #160 of 193
FaceTime + MacBook = FaceBook....

That's about the most logical reason for Apple to buy FaceBook I can think of... and obviously it's pretty lame... just to be clear Apple buying FaceBook would be a ridiculous move.

I think the first 5 commenters covered it all. FB is not a long term investment for Apple and would be grossly over-valued the moment. In the last 12 months I've seen valuations range from $3B ro $33B.

If Apple wanted the could easily build it's own FaceBook leveraging iOS devices, MobileMe to get started with an extension to other devices via iTunes. They could do so having learned from FB's many mistakes and short comings. I'm not saying in doing so Apple would kill off FaceBook like FB has to MySpace, but it's entirely possible over time... which goes back to FB being a horrible acquisition target.

Apple could buy Adobe. It'd be a good move for Apple and bring them back towards broader and more advanced software development in house for computers. It would probably help Apple's floundering software division, meaning both Pro Tolls (Final Cut, Logic) and consumer apps (Pages, Numbers, etc...). That said I think Adobe is doing fine on there own and so I'm not really hoping for this.

I see acquiring something like NetFlix more likely... something the value being leveraging their existing content distribution deals into iTunes.

I could also see Apple getting into cloud services like AWS, RackSpace and Google... and no I'm not suggesting they'd target consumers with cloud services, I think they'd be targeting businesses in direct competition with the existing players.

Finally, Apple has had a big couple years and I frankly think they'd be fine slowing down and refining what they've created, rather than start a big new project.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Steve Jobs: Apple will use $51B for big moves, not 'stupid' ones