or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field' - Page 4

post #121 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

A man of integrity would learn from Jobs, yeah. But the clowns running Apple's competitors really aren't much of anything. You could make better men out of bananas.

Oh come on I think you could use any fruit, why be so adamant about bananas?
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #122 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

I think it'd be worth seeing - I don't think the problem is touch on 7" - it's probably the visuals which may not be up to the iPad experience at a smaller size. Let's face it they're not touting thr web experience on the iPT so much as gaming.

I'm on my iPad right now. Pity the poor iOS developer - the thought of programming for yet another screen size must be unbearable. Imagine having to collect another 99 cents from every single person who wants your app.

BTW how do you type the cents glyph on an iPad or have pennies been banned as well?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #123 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My Dad died in 2008. Same boat. Touched me, dude.

My dad died this year at 87. He was sitting at his new 27" iMac and had an aneurism. I have 23,000 e-mails from him to go back over, Dad's are a great miss.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #124 of 345
Steve is right, and wrong at the same time. The iPad screen is an ideal size for the iPad's interface. A 7" screen is too small to be efficient and would be extremely cramped. However iPhone screens are 3.5" and perfectly usable. It's all about how you design the UI.

I agree with Steve that the 10" iPad is the ideal size, but he is either intentionally deflecting or failing to understand that the competition is going to sell millions of 7" tablets even if they're not the ideal size.
post #125 of 345
A device with a 7 inch screen is too big to put in your pocket and too small to do anything useful with.

Steve Jobs is right.
post #126 of 345
.

Let me see if I have this right?

This co-guy, Balsillie, conducts an event to introduce the PlayBook Tablet

He shows some video of something -- a touchless touch interface

He walks around stage with a slab with something that looks like XMAS wrapping pasted on the front
-- that he never even looks at or holds it up

He announces that the highly-efficient Flash will provide the GUI

He announces some mondo specs
-- 1 GHz Dual Core Processor
-- 1 GB RAM
-- Dual Everything
-- Support for every programming language known to man
-- Cell radio support for 0G, 1G, 2G, 3G, LTE, 5G
-- 17 connecter orifices - including 1 for a winch
-- yadda, yadda, yadda


He doesn't know what it will cost.

He doesn't know when it will be available.

He doesn't know it's battery life.

He can't show you one because, it doesn't exist.



Now, that's a reality distortion field!


Steve Jobs could learn from him!


... not too interested in the device...

... but, can I buy me some of those specs... separately?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #127 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So yet another great reason for the larger format! Thanks for explaining.

Now lets consider that other vendors need to use more powerful chips that subsequently use more power because the OS is less idealized for the HW. Then add in the less engineered components that take up more room than what Apple can achieve with their top to bottom refinements.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #128 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Steve is right, and wrong at the same time. The iPad screen is an ideal size for the iPad's interface. A 7" screen is too small to be efficient and would be extremely cramped. However iPhone screens are 3.5" and perfectly usable. It's all about how you design the UI.

I agree with Steve that the 10" iPad is the ideal size, but he is either intentionally deflecting or failing to understand that the competition is going to sell millions of 7" tablets even if they're not the ideal size.

It will be interesting to see if this is the case. I am not willing to bet either way just yet. Also I recall Steve ridiculing the idea any one would watch a small screen then a year later proudly showed the iPod with color screen and movie playing ability. You never know if he is just throwing curved balls at the copycats or not.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #129 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now lets consider that other vendors need to use more powerful chips that subsequently use more power because the OS is less idealized for the HW. Then add in the less engineered components that take up more room than what Apple can achieve with their top to bottom refinements.

Well that's even better news.

At some point you have to wonder why every computer / phone hardware manufacturer feels they have to ape everything Apple does. There are infinite possibilities out there!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #130 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My dad died this year at 87. He was sitting at his new 27" iMac and had an aneurism. I have 23,000 e-mails from him to go back over, Dad's are a great miss.

My heart goes out to you, friend.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #131 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not exactly. it also shaves off screen-size, which saves battery. The battery wouldn't be much different.

Now, let's enter the real world and use our brains.

Let's make all the assumptions as favorable to your argument as possible. Now:

- A 7" screen has roughly 1/2 the area of a 10" screen. So let's assume that the case thickness is zero and the thickness of a 7" iPad is the same as a 10" iPad. That means that the internal volume of a 7" iPad would be 1/2 of the volume of a 10" iPad.

Now, let's look at internal volumes:
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc volumes would be the same in the 10" and 7" iPads. So the battery volume in the 7" would have to reduced by MORE than 50%.

Power usage?
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc batter usage would be the same. Let's assume that screen energy usage is proportional to its area, so it would be 50% lower (again, it would actually use MORE than 1/2 the energy of the 10", but we're biasing everything your way).

So, battery volume would be considerably LESS than 1/2 the iPad, but energy usage would be considerably MORE than 1/2 of the iPad.

Result? Dismal battery life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Didn't think i needed to list them? Anyway, for anyone outside the reality distortion field....

Any SONY MP3 player is far better noise production wise than anything the iPod has ever offered. Heck even the Creative ones are better and the Zune HD is better for noise and picture..

the iPad is a lovely piece of hardware, crippled by useless production software. Browsing the web, watching a movie its Ok but if I want to do something professional, productive and compatible then I pull out a PC laptop which was half the price and will likely last twice the amount of time an Apple laptop will last (in my experience).

OSX is held up as the bastion of OS development..... but Win 7 is clearly better in nearly every way. Heck the new Ubu is better than OSX.

Any phone..as a phone is better than the iPhone, pick any manufacturer you like. iOS UI is so dated and poor now its not funny. Android just wipes the floor with it. You can set Android up so that the number of times you have to press an icon is so small it doesn't matter.

Pressing icon buttons to get to a Wifi network setting is so 2007!!!

lets not forget the TCO of iPhone too, in some places its 3 or 4 times the cost of other 3g phones.

Vertical integration always fails.....always will.

Enjoy the good times, they won't last forever

And I see nothing supporting anything you've said - except your own delusions. If you ever have facts, feel free to present them.

Windows 7 better than OS X in every way? Only if your an IT guru relying on customer support for your job security.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #132 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My heart goes out to you, friend.

Thank you. Appreciate it.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #133 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

your colleagues are either useless or lying, both my android handsets outperform both iphone 3gs and iphone 4 in battery life by a handy margin.

maybe its the extra calls they can take because of the improved reception??

Move on troll. Throw your bs on people who care. The reception on ATT is location specific. If you don't like it pick another carrier. Outperform, what is your metric? A handy margin spoken like a true engineer or is that a salesmen? The reality is all these devices are battery constrained and Apple is currently making a great performance vs battery compromise. Show real data ro STFU
post #134 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corax View Post

So true

Yes indeed.
post #135 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

IMO Mr. Jobs is out and out lying about some of this stuff and it's really quite apparent this time that he is. Perhaps the reality distortion field is finally breaking down. I know it has for me.

And yet you seemingly continue to buy his products .... hmmmm .. strange, very strange.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #136 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

For those of us that want a small, efficient portable computer but don't necessarily need a phone, or a TV watching machine, a 7" tablet is the sweet spot.

Or so you imagine. Apple has already imagined all sort of screen sizes, plus Steve says they done the math (ie. testing) and the idea is dumb. Time to reset your reality gauge, because in this universe, opinions about computer design by Steve Jobs are much more valuable and insightful than yours.

Maybe you have a special physical condition that precludes an iPad? Have you ever thought about trying a gym? Build up a little muscle and you can increase your carrying capacity a tenth of a pound to carry a 10 inch. Look at it this way, Steve Jobs has had pancreatic cancer twice and he seems to be able to sport an iPad with ease. I think a little strength training would help you in all sorts of ways.

I understand that there are also people who are very small in stature. I saw a movie called 'Stuart Little' about someone with this condition. In this case, it's understandable why you might want a smaller tablet to carry. However, I think you would be much better off with the larger screen, laying it on the floor, and jumping on the screen with your tiny mouse feet. If the touch gestures are too difficult, you can try using your tail in conjunction with one leg to achieve scrolling, pinch-zoom, and rotation.
post #137 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corax View Post

Os X is on only Apples Macs, compared to Windows on so many different manufacturers...

Is that why apple's market share is so low? Why not fix that?
post #138 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now, let's enter the real world and use our brains.

You use yours, I'll work mine.

Keep in mind I'm comparing a 9" iPad to a 9.7" version. I'm not talking about 7" tablets.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #139 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by pats View Post

Move on troll. Throw your bs on people who care. The reception on ATT is location specific. If you don't like it pick another carrier. Outperform, what is your metric? A handy margin spoken like a true engineer or is that a salesmen? The reality is all these devices are battery constrained and Apple is currently making a great performance vs battery compromise. Show real data ro STFU

You used to have to stop and consider a comment for a second, but between Arch, appl and jfanning the caliber of trolling has really become pretty weak.

Take Archs comments about the battery life. He makes no specific statements about Android models and states no actual testing hes done (the first two clues). Add in independent sites actually testing these handsets and you see how these guys are really just talking out their asses.

Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #140 of 345
It doesn't surprise me that iPad sales have tanked, there are just to many glaring issues with this rev one device. For one people are starting to realize the thing doesn't have the RAM to make it a good investment. More so they are realizing the screen size of the device really sucks. It is simply to big for many uses and is combined with a terrible aspect ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Although the iPhone and the iPad share the same OS, the user interface elements are quite different. I think Steve's point was that an iPad like interface would not work for a 7" screen (not sure I agree, but I am pretty confident thats what he meant). An iPhone like UI would work on the 7" screen.
But that brings us to his second argument (which most outlets have ignored) that the slightly greater mobility 7" gives you, is not worth the loss of usability. Essentially, the 7" only adds the ability to stow away in handbags, to what the iPad can do (or maybe large jacket pockets).

This is all BS, there is absolutely nothing stopping the construction of usable Controls on an intermediate iPad. Nothing.

Besides the sales of similarly sized E-Book readers ought to cause people to wise up here. Sometimes portability for a given level of functionality is everything.
[quote]
OTOH, the slightly greater usability the 7" screen gives you over the iPhone, is not worth the extensive loss of portability
[quote]
The screen area difference is massive.
Quote:
(the iPhone or iPod Touch can literally go everywhere). So his point was basically that 7" was a compromise not giving you enough usability as the iPad, nor enough portability as the iPhone.

Frankly I think his point was to confuse the market!
Quote:
I disagree with these comments of his (but its not like I have used a 7" tablet, so take my opinion for what its worth) but I do agree with his other comment. The ONLY reason all these companies are promising 7" tablets is because they cannot compete with Apple on price.

I don't think this is the case either. IPad is a device with extremely limited functionality that has to be supplemented with very expensive add ons. Be it the cellular modem or the camera connection kit. In the end iPad is one expensive kit.
Quote:
I think Apple's reputation for charing an Apple Tax is blinding people to the amazing cost efficiencies Apple is achieving.

Well if you look at iPhone that advantage isn't being passed on to consummers. IPad of course doesn't have competition right now but you would have to be delusional to think it is a good buy. All I need to do is offer up Apple TV and its low price to squash any arguement about iPad being a good buy. For the most part the same basic hardware.

Beyound that why in the hell does iPad get so expensive for modest increases in flash memory? Seriously if Apple is getting such good deals on parts why doesn't it pass along these savings.
Quote:
They have cornered the markets on most components, and got the best prices (locked in years ago). They have brought a lot of component design in house, saving extensively in costs (best example is the A4). Their software is fantastically tuned to the hardware, meaning that the same amount of hardware goes far further running iOS than Android and the likes. Their supply chain is Walmart like efficient.

The biggest problem I have with the above is this idea that the sofyware is so perfectly tuned for iOS devices. Clearly it isn't as can be seen by the rapid drop in support for older iOS devices.
Quote:
Not only are the able to control costs like none other, they are able to control selling prices like no one else in the industry.

And that is a good thing?
Quote:
AT&T would love to give an iPhone away for each iPhone you buy, like Verizon does with Droids, but Apple prevents them from doing this because they know people are willing to pay the money they ask for the iPhone.

This is the real "Apple Tax". People are willing to pay the actual price for Apple products, rather than waiting for them to drop to below cost level bargain bin rates.

The real Apple tax is convincing people that their high prices are in actuality a bargain. Snake Oil salesman could learn a thing or two from Apple.
post #141 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Why is it people who don't like apple products come here and outright lie about this stuff?

Simple ..... because their opinion is not supported by the truth.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #142 of 345
I don't know, maybe the RIM guy is on to something. Look how well all those 7" netbooks have done. Fully 5% of the netbooks NewEgg carries are 8.9" or smaller. Clearly, that's a pretty huge market, and consumers are excited to check email and watch movies on 7" screens. </sarcasm>
post #143 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

I'm not talking about market share, I'm talking about bragging rights.

Oh. Bragging rights?

Wait until the 4th quarter results are in, and see if "team iOs" will be bragging.

iOs does not now have dominant mindshhare. go to Google News and check out the smartphone section. the iPhone is barely mentioned, with HP and Android and Win7 being the hot topics.

Again - in a few months, after Xmas, and if market share and mindshare are something that makes you feel good, well, do your enjoying in the past.
post #144 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) Based on RiMs CEO comments about openness I have to assume that BB OS is an open OS

You know what they say about you when you assume?
post #145 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Again - in a few months, after Xmas, and if market share and mindshare are something that makes you feel good, well, do your enjoying in the past.

Who cares about market share? Heck, RIM could get back to 80% market share if they simply gave away their product. Honda Civics, perfectly decent cars, far outsell BMW's. Who would you say has greater mindshare among consumers?

Android's a great commodity platform, and everyone knows it should have twice Apple's market share in 5 years or so. But platform fragmentation, lower margins, and the natural friction among all of its players will make it a less cohesive platform. Great for college students, hackers, and those on a budget. Apple will continue to lead when it comes to innovation, profitability, and brand image.
post #146 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You used to have to stop and consider a comment for a second, but between Arch, appl and jfanning the caliber of trolling has really become pretty weak.

Take Archs comments about the battery life. He makes no specific statements about Android models and states no actual testing hes done (the first two clues). Add in independent sites actually testing these handsets and you see how these guys are really just talking out their asses.


I'm amazed that the Droid X gets such long battery life. It has a HUGE screen. Apple could learn something about design trade-offs from it.
post #147 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone

I kind of wondered where SJ was coming from on that one. If 7" is too small for a touch interface isn't that sort of a problem for an iPhone and iPod Touch as well.

Jobs' strongest argument against the 7-inch tablet is that it can't compete with the phone in terms of mobility, and can't compete with the 10-inch tablet in terms of usability. The problem is not that it's too small in of itself. Obviously, a phone is even smaller.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2307...all-transcript
Apple's CEO Discusses F4Q10 Results - Earnings Call Transcript
October 18, 2010
Third, every tablet user is also a smartphone user. No tablet can compete with the mobility of a smartphone, its ease of fitting into your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd. Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in our pockets is clearly the wrong tradeoff. The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.
post #148 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Oh. Bragging rights?

Wait until the 4th quarter results are in, and see if "team iOs" will be bragging.

iOs does not now have dominant mindshhare. go to Google News and check out the smartphone section. the iPhone is barely mentioned, with HP and Android and Win7 being the hot topics.

Again - in a few months, after Xmas, and if market share and mindshare are something that makes you feel good, well, do your enjoying in the past.

Deny the past and pray for the future. Sounds like Steve Balmer's MSFT strategy.
post #149 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

.

Let me see if I have this right?

This co-guy, Balsillie, conducts an event to introduce the PlayBook Tablet

He shows some video of something -- a touchless touch interface

He walks around stage with a slab with something that looks like XMAS wrapping pasted on the front
-- that he never even looks at or holds it up

He announces that the highly-efficient Flash will provide the GUI

He announces some mondo specs
-- 1 GHz Dual Core Processor
-- 1 GB RAM
-- Dual Everything
-- Support for every programming language known to man
-- Cell radio support for 0G, 1G, 2G, 3G, LTE, 5G
-- 17 connecter orifices - including 1 for a winch
-- yadda, yadda, yadda


He doesn't know what it will cost.

He doesn't know when it will be available.

He doesn't know it's battery life.

He can't show you one because, it doesn't exist.



Now, that's a reality distortion field!


Steve Jobs could learn from him!


... not too interested in the device...

... but, can I buy me some of those specs... separately?

.

Did he just give the specs of a laptop??
post #150 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Wow! This is what I have been saying all along! And I have been attacked, insulted and repeatedly banned for it. Glad to know there are SOME normal people in the world.

You know, I believe you and Balsillie really are "cut from the same cloth". Balsillie acted like a clueless, boorish oaf in his "dealings" with the NHL while trying to buy a franchise until the NHL just got tired of his actions and basically told him ... don't call us, we'll call you. He's still doesn't own a franchise.

If I were you I'd look for someone else to "follow".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #151 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Who cares about market share?

I think Steve does. He seems to bring it up often. Indeed, he just brought it up during a conference call.
post #152 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You use yours, I'll work mine.

Keep in mind I'm comparing a 9" iPad to a 9.7" version. I'm not talking about 7" tablets.

First of all, there's no such thing - even in rumor.

Second, if you do the math, the result is the same. You would significantly reduce battery life in order to save that 1/2".
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #153 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Thirdly, I agree, integration trumps fragmentation. Many times on this board I have said that although Google software is free, it is still too fragmented when compared to Apple.

I completely agree. The more Apple products I've purchased, the more integrated everything has become and the more seamless and efficient my computing devices have become. It would be hard to move away from this and because of this, when I wanted a new phone recently, the iPhone was the ONLY smartphone option for me. I either got an iPhone that played well with everything I had or got a basic mobile phone for just making calls (and used my iPod Touch for everything else). I'm so glad I got my iPhone.
post #154 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

problem for most CEO's competing with Apple is that they likely have a better product but people still buy Apple.

it's a headscratching exercise for most.....

you can list half a dozen products in the relevant sectors (mp3, phone etc.) that are better than anything Apple has offered or will offer.

Macs are rubbish for the money and iTunes is a joke.

they are masters in 'desperately average'


I fully agree with Mr RIM and I hope he finds a solution soon.

From a guy who obviously has never used a Mac, or iTunes on a Mac.
post #155 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now, let's enter the real world and use our brains.

Let's make all the assumptions as favorable to your argument as possible. Now:

- A 7" screen has roughly 1/2 the area of a 10" screen. So let's assume that the case thickness is zero and the thickness of a 7" iPad is the same as a 10" iPad. That means that the internal volume of a 7" iPad would be 1/2 of the volume of a 10" iPad.

Now, let's look at internal volumes:
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc volumes would be the same in the 10" and 7" iPads. So the battery volume in the 7" would have to reduced by MORE than 50%.

Power usage?
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc batter usage would be the same. Let's assume that screen energy usage is proportional to its area, so it would be 50% lower (again, it would actually use MORE than 1/2 the energy of the 10", but we're biasing everything your way).

So, battery volume would be considerably LESS than 1/2 the iPad, but energy usage would be considerably MORE than 1/2 of the iPad.

Result? Dismal battery life.

Good analysis. Except the iPad has a lot of extra room in the case.


I believe that Apple could engineer an acceptable battery for a 7" form factor.


If Apple ever does offer a 7" iPad, likely, this is how it will go:

Steve:

We've listened to our customers who want some thing between the iPod Touch and the iPad.

We've looked around and the 7" tablets out there really don't do the job.

Well, We've found a way -- we re-thought the requirements and redesigned an integrated hardware and software solution from the ground up
-- better display
-- better UI 3-Access elements
-- better battery life - 11 hours
-- thinner lighter weight
-- Dynamic resolution independence
-- all the Touch and iPad apps will run unmodified
-- all the advantages of a 7" tablet with none of the disadvantages
-- all the typical Apple goodness
-- fits in most larger pockets-- Suit, Shorts, Camos, LabCoats...

... and the price will start at $279...

... it's available, for pre-order today!

... shipments starta at the end of the month.

Let me show it to you, now...

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #156 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

I'm amazed that the Droid X gets such long battery life. It has a HUGE screen. Apple could learn something about design trade-offs from it.

On 3G, the iPhone gets 50% larger battery life compared to the Droid X which as a 22% larger screen (by diagonal size) but fewer pixels.

So what's that about trade-offs?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #157 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

when I wanted a new phone recently, the iPhone was the ONLY smartphone option for me

My condolences. This sort of lock-in is both annoying and not necessary. It is too bad that open standards don't exist, so that you have choice. I think some companies like to use open standards, and others are closed so they can lock you in.
post #158 of 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

On 3G, the iPhone gets 50% larger battery life compared to the Droid X which as a 22% larger screen (by diagonal size) but fewer pixels.

So what's that about trade-offs?

The Droid has a big, beautiful screen AND great battery life. Seemingly, Motorola didn't let the balance tip too far one way or the other, and got the trade-offs both into a sweet, sweet spot.

Your arithmetic and specsmanship don't appeal to average consumers.
post #159 of 345
That point is that a considerable portion of iPads power budget goes to lighting up the screen. You don't take this into account below and then mis on other issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Now, let's enter the real world and use our brains.

Let's make all the assumptions as favorable to your argument as possible. Now:

- A 7" screen has roughly 1/2 the area of a 10" screen. So let's assume that the case thickness is zero and the thickness of a 7" iPad is the same as a 10" iPad. That means that the internal volume of a 7" iPad would be 1/2 of the volume of a 10" iPad.

Now, let's look at internal volumes:
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc volumes would be the same in the 10" and 7" iPads. So the battery volume in the 7" would have to reduced by MORE than 50%.

You make assumptions above that aren't supported by currently shipping hardware. In fact iPhone 4 ships with more RAM. IPad with its rather large PC board also ships with plenty of free space inside its case. Given all of this info building a seven inch class device with even more battery life should be easy.
Quote:
Power usage?
A4 processor, SOC, RAM, etc batter usage would be the same. Let's assume that screen energy usage is proportional to its area, so it would be 50% lower (again, it would actually use MORE than 1/2 the energy of the 10", but we're biasing everything your way).

So, battery volume would be considerably LESS than 1/2 the iPad, but energy usage would be considerably MORE than 1/2 of the iPad.

It should be fairly easy for Apple to pack the same capacity into a seven inch machine. As to power usage of the back light it is not a given what the usage will be like. Power could be significantly less as they improve LED back lighting.
Quote:
Result? Dismal battery life.

Or not! Besides whos to say that theydon't have a process shrunk A4 ready or a new Cortex A9 based chip ready to go. Remember we are talking a future product here which would likely be based on future hardware.
Quote:


And I see nothing supporting anything you've said - except your own delusions. If you ever have facts, feel free to present them.

So where are your facts. You gloss right over the main issue here which is power to the screen. You say they can't cut it in half but then don't back up your statements.
Quote:
Windows 7 better than OS X in every way? Only if your an IT guru relying on customer support for your job security.

Well that I can agree with. However IT gurus actually trying to cut support costs are very likely to look at iPad seriously.
post #160 of 345
I wouldn't want a 7inch display but I would happily take a 7.4 inch display. One with a retina display resolution of 326pixels per inch in a 5.89 x 4.42 inch unit giving 1920 x 1440 resolution.

That would be awesome. Great for in car video watch in full HD, but enough resolution to be able to read safari on a small display.

My wife complains that the 9.7 inch unit is too big and too heavy. She also complains that the iPod Touch is too small. She would like a medium sized unit around 7-8 inches.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM: Problems with 7-inch tablets only exist in Apple's 'distortion field'