or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos claim to show Apple's prototype CDMA Verizon iPhone

New photos claim to show Apple's prototype CDMA Verizon iPhone

post #1 of 53
Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase.

The photos, which were obtained by the blogger Richy Rich, may serve to further corroborate evidence of a CDMA iPhone, but should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt. The report comes just one day after rumors emerged that Apple is undergoing field testing of a CDMA iPhone 4 revision.

Richy Rich believes the live shots "originated from a repair shop in Vietnam" and depict a test operating similar to the "Inferno" operating system seen on photos and video of a prototype iPhone 4, also reportedly in the DVT stage, leaked by a Vietnamese forum in May.

In August, John Gruber of Daring Fireball reported that a CDMA-variant of the iPhone 4, internally known as model N92, had reached Engineering Verification Test status, "one step below DVT." One photo obtained by Richy Rich identifies the test unit as "N92DVT."

The post seconds an earlier report that the CDMA version of the iPhone will retain the micro-SIM slot on the side of the device, speculating that it will either have "global roaming capabilities" or function as a dual-band "one device for all unit."

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have persisted for years, gaining traction earlier this month when major media outlets (1, 2) reported that the device was ready for production and could arrive early next year.
post #2 of 53
Looks like the same form factor! And no Verizon logo! Good for Apple!

PS. Wouldn't that be a coup for Apple if they could make it dual band?

Best
post #3 of 53
Too bad the photo's are so crappy.
post #4 of 53
There it is! What 'it' is, is the question.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #5 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase....

what kind of pathetic loser writes his name all over the pictures like that? How sad.
post #6 of 53
I have to call BS on this. Do you think Apple is going to copy the same design that has an antenna flaw?
post #7 of 53
Well, there you have it. This is indisputable! I'm all-in!
post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Looks like the same form factor! And no Verizon logo! Good for Apple!

PS. Wouldn't that be a coup for Apple if they could make it dual band?

Best

In time for Christmas would be nice!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #9 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngel21x View Post

I have to call BS on this. Do you think Apple is going to copy the same design that has an antenna flaw?

What flaw?
post #10 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

what kind of pathetic loser writes his name all over the pictures like that? How sad.

No different to any picture on the web with the name of the owner embedded. Not saying it makes it true but I fail to see the name has any bearing on the potential veracity one way or the other.
post #11 of 53
Don't fall for this shit.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yep, espionage just isn't what it used to be is it?
post #13 of 53
Pretty damned confident about this I see ...

"Photos, possibly from a repair shop in Vietnam, have surfaced allegedly showing a prototype CDMA iPhone in Device Verification Test phase."
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No different to any picture on the web with the name of the owner embedded. Not saying it makes it true but I fail to see the name has any bearing on the potential veracity one way or the other.

It doesn't except that it paints the photo source as an egomaniacal loser. People with a psychology like that are generally less trustworthy than others, but they could still be real pics.

In any case, I don't' really care if the pics are real or not, it's not exactly a coup either way to get a picture of a phone that's indistinguishable from the current iPhone from the outside.
post #15 of 53
Quote:

It doesn't except that it paints the photo source as an egomaniacal loser. People with a psychology like that are generally less trustworthy than others, but they could still be real pics.

In any case, I don't' really care if the pics are real or not, it's not exactly a coup either way to get a picture of a phone that's indistinguishable from the current iPhone from the outside.

I didn't cover 'egomaniacal paint work' when I did psych at uni but I'll take your word for it, I agree it is most likely a scam.

I looked it up .... I think (3) proves you are correct.

Egomaniacal person:

1) A self-absorbed waste of oxygen who expects us to grovel at their feet like the unwashed masses they see us as

2.) Someone who talks just to hear themselves (because no-one else will listen)

3.) Someone who posts definitions of their name because they think people care who they are.

4.) The French.
post #16 of 53
Quote:

The kind that, when his pictures are posted on many websites, wants everyone to know were the pictures came from.
post #17 of 53
Quote:

I used to watch the Richy Rich cartoon when I was a kid.
post #18 of 53
Quote:

Don't know if this is legit or not (I would tend to think not) but I doubt Apple would make the CDMA phone l look much different from from the GSM phone.

What would be the point?
post #19 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

What flaw?

The flaw that kept Apple to only selling about 14 million iPhone 4's in the quarter (155,000 every day from July 1 through September 30) that they just reported the numbers for.
post #20 of 53
So what's to prove this isn't just a poorly photographed GSM iPhone 4, with an ad-hoc app running? I could take much better pictures of my iPhone 4 and claim it's a Verizon iPhone too! I think AI has been a little too gullible in believing this rumour.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You'd think they'd at least want to take a spy picture of an iPhone using an iPhone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

The flaw that kept Apple to only selling about 14 million iPhone 4's in the quarter (155,000 every day from July 1 through September 30) that they just reported the numbers for.

ha ha .. Oh right, silly me I forgot. Yep it devastated sales for sure. Just as those gripping their fictitious iPhones and writing to every blog they could intended it should. Well done them. (joke ... as some seem to miss this at times)
post #23 of 53
Quote:

You say this as if it's a bad thing. Show me any 3-yr-old cell phone company with any two products that moves as many units combined. And by two I mean 3GS and 4 since Apple lumps the two together even though presumably the 4 is the most popular unit.

Your assumption also assumes that the numbers reflect real demand/consumption in a saturated market when it seems to be constrained by limited supply. Given that current worldwide demand outstrips supply, one could make the argument that shipment numbers would have been higher had Apple been able to meet 100% of demand.

And finally, the flaw you speak of is quite honestly limited only to those areas already in poor reception and it's a phenomenon not unique to the iPhone. So it just so happens that in the US, one of the iPhones largest markets, that AT&T has a lot of weak spots but that says nothing about any of the other 88 countries in which iPhone is sold where reception issues are less prevalent.

Your field of view is so narrowly confined to unit shipments and the US market that I think you've really missed the big picture. Apple's having a great time selling iPhones and anything that expands their potential market (CDMA) will only help to drive even further growth.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

So what's to prove this isn't just a poorly photographed GSM iPhone 4, with an ad-hoc app running? I could take much better pictures of my iPhone 4 and claim it's a Verizon iPhone too! I think AI has been a little too gullible in believing this rumour.

Can't a brutha just get a couple of extra "clicks" for a (likely) phony spy pic or two?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

You say this as if it's a bad thing. Show me any 3-yr-old cell phone company with any two products that moves as many units combined. And by two I mean 3GS and 4 since Apple lumps the two together even though presumably the 4 is the most popular unit.

Your assumption also assumes that the numbers reflect real demand/consumption in a saturated market when it seems to be constrained by limited supply. Given that current worldwide demand outstrips supply, one could make the argument that shipment numbers would have been higher had Apple been able to meet 100% of demand.

And finally, the flaw you speak of is quite honestly limited only to those areas already in poor reception and it's a phenomenon not unique to the iPhone. So it just so happens that in the US, one of the iPhones largest markets, that AT&T has a lot of weak spots but that says nothing about any of the other 88 countries in which iPhone is sold where reception issues are less prevalent.

Your field of view is so narrowly confined to unit shipments and the US market that I think you've really missed the big picture. Apple's having a great time selling iPhones and anything that expands their potential market (CDMA) will only help to drive even further growth.

He was being sarcastic / humorous (I hope LOL)
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can't a brutha just get a couple of extra "clicks" for a (likely) phony spy pic or two?

*takes photos of 13" Macbook Air from 5 feet away, claims it's the all-new 11" MBA, and submits to AI*
post #27 of 53
Quote:

yes. if you think otherwise, you don't know apple.
post #28 of 53
I'll believe it when Apple/Steve Jobs announce it.
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

I'll believe it when Apple/Steve Jobs announce it.

That's "Cap'n Apple" to you!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #30 of 53
Quote:

What flaw?

The flaw that makes the phone lose signal strength when held a certain way.
post #31 of 53
Quote:

Throwing sales figures around doesn't negate the flaw of exposing the antenna and having signal attenuation when held a certain way.
post #32 of 53
post #33 of 53
post #34 of 53
Quote:

The flaw that makes the phone lose signal strength when help a certain way.

Oh. That "flaw!" sheez
post #35 of 53
Quote:

That is what has been widely reported by people in the know.
post #36 of 53
Quote:

Yep, espionage just isn't what it used to be is it?

Made me smile! Very funny!

Best
post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You'd think they'd at least want to take a spy picture of an iPhone using an iPhone.

some people have no sense of symmetry!
post #38 of 53
Quote:

Throwing sales figures around doesn't negate the flaw of exposing the antenna and having signal attenuation when held a certain way.

I'd say it does actually. Not all that many people want to block a weak signal with their hands once they know how to avoid it. I can really mess with my car if I steer and break in a certain way too. So I don't do it. In fact I kind of avoid doing things that lessen the working ability of any device I use rather than deliberately doing them, but that's just me ... oh and many, many millions of other iPhone users it seems judging by the sales and high ratings from users.
post #39 of 53
Quote:

post #40 of 53
Quote:

Just watched the iPad video you kindly linked in your sig. It is amazing to see the stereotypical stupidity and lack of imagination along with the rehearsed anti iPad talking points from Fox at PC World (he only missed out discussing feminine hygiene products). Jason was pretty much on the money. Talk about left brain right brain differences eh? Fox should go to work for Michael Dell, they'd make a good pair when it comes to foresight!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New photos claim to show Apple's prototype CDMA Verizon iPhone