or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac

Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac - Page 2

post #41 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Give Apple a different email address (of yours) to each device. Their servers keep track of where you are from then on. You have to trust them, and the people you give your address(es) to.

Can we all just get along? Maybe t's the new imperative . . . .

I guess that's what I was wondering...is it the AppleID that makes the connection (ie, my friend needs to know my AppleID and have it in his Address Book) or can they use the email address(es) they already have for me. It sounds like it's the latter, which is good (as long as I can give Apple multiple email address since not everyone I associate with uses the same email address to contact me).
post #42 of 87
Has anyone had any trouble verifying their e-mail? The ID server, not surprisingly is getting hammered. Guess I should wait few hours. Damn I was really looking forward to Facetime since it first announced.
post #43 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I guess that's what I was wondering...is it the AppleID that makes the connection (ie, my friend needs to know my AppleID and have it in his Address Book) or can they use the email address(es) they already have for me. It sounds like it's the latter, which is good (as long as I can give Apple multiple email address since not everyone I associate with uses the same email address to contact me).

The protocol uses your e-mail address
post #44 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by damians View Post

The protocol uses your e-mail address

Great. Now I just need to figure out why my iSight camera isn't working (or go buy a web cam).
post #45 of 87
Have you tried seeing if it works in photobooth?
post #46 of 87
Ok... trying like hell to run FaceTime on my Mac, but all I get is the spinning wheel forever when I try to sign in.
post #47 of 87
At first blush, this looks like a stripped-down version of iChat or Skype. Not sure I see any immediate advantages, unless the protocol goes more global. Windows, for a start. Or maybe I'm missing something. Anything?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #48 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Ok... trying like hell to run FaceTime on my Mac, but all I get is the spinning wheel forever when I try to sign in.

Yeah, Apple's servers are getting hammered hard, even if you make it pass the sign. You probably won't be able to verify your apple ID. I've been trying for 90 mins.
post #49 of 87
Quote:

Have you verified the account with the e-mail link? Took me a couple of tries.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.

iChat does video too.

By the way, has anyone tried Mac to Mac Facetime?
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Have you verified the account with the e-mail link? Took me a couple of tries.

That what I've been trying to do. Traffic finally lighted up enough to let me do it.I'm still waiting on Facetime though to finish the verification process. I have the lovely spinner to look at while i wait. But it beta so hopefully it will improve.
post #52 of 87
Quote:

At first blush, this looks like a stripped-down version of iChat or Skype. Not sure I see any immediate advantages, unless the protocol goes more global. Windows, for a start. Or maybe I'm missing something. Anything?

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean? I don't know.

But turn down the volume a ways to avoid nasty feedback.
post #53 of 87
Quote:

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean? I don't know.

But turn down the volume a ways to avoid nasty feedback.

I was able to initiate a FaceTime call from my Mac to my iPhone 4 like this... weird. But how do you initiate a call from the iPhone to the mac?
post #54 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

I was able to initiate a FaceTime call from my Mac to my iPhone 4 like this... weird. But how do you initiate a call from the iPhone to the mac?

You have two different email addresses, right, one on the phone and one on the computer? Once you call one with the other, you add the other to the contact list, and they can each call the other. I've done it both ways now.

But I didn't see a way to manually add my touch as a contact on the Mac. I had to call the Mac with the touch to add the contact. Yes it is weird.
post #55 of 87
Quote:

Give us a holler when you find out!
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #56 of 87
...a realtime view of the back of my head. my neck needs shaving.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #57 of 87
Quote:

Give us a holler when you find out!

Are you sure? I'll work on it tonight . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...a realtime view of the back of my head. my neck needs shaving.

First breakthrough application!
post #58 of 87
Quote:

Are you sure? I'll work on it tonight . . .

Okay, maybe I didn't mean that literally. But you work on it anyway.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #59 of 87
Quote:

Ok... I have a new iPod Touch. I have a Mac. With ONE Apple ID, how on Earth do I FaceTime from my iPod to my Mac!?

Set up a second apple ID tied to a different email address
post #60 of 87
yahoo.............

(As in the cowboy yell of joy, not the crappy internet company who can't figure out how to effectively update their own IM software)

Mac to Mac works great, Mac to iPhone works great. My kid's on the east coast and I'm going to wake his butt up and tell him to go install it.

Ditto for the gf (for much different reasons)
P

Wish list:
Windows version
Publish the open standard
Talk Yahoo into integrating this into their IM client (...less likely since I dissed them above)
Android app of FaceTime
post #61 of 87
Refuses to install on this OSX.5.8. It says I'm missing Security Patch 2010-005 and to check with Software Update. Done that. I'm up to date. Restarted the Mac. Facetime still refuses to install because "You're missing an imprtant Security Patch 2010-005", etc....

But if you want Facetime (Beta) for Mac, get it here.
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Refuses to install on this OSX.5.8. It says I'm missing Security Patch 2010-005 and to check with Software Update. Done that. I'm up to date. Restarted the Mac. Facetime still refuses to install because "You're missing an imprtant Security Patch 2010-005", etc....

But if you want Facetime (Beta) for Mac, get it here.

Youre missing Snow Leopard. The site states: Requires Mac OS X v10.6.4 Snow Leopard or later.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #63 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Youre missing Snow Leopard. The site states: Requires Mac OS X v10.6.4 Snow Leopard or later.

Aha! Yeah, I did miss that! Oh well...
Thanks for clearing that up.
post #64 of 87
It won't work at all, on either my MacBook Pro or my daughter's brand new iMac. It just spins and spins at the "signing in" stage.

I think it might be a port-forwarding thing.

So that leads me to my question:

If I have to use port forwarding, then how the heck do I use Facetime on my MacBook Pro, on my iPod Touch and my daughter's iMac at the same time, on the same network?
post #65 of 87
How do you set this up to work when you want to call yourself from your phone to your computer? I have the same email on both and I can call my computer from the phone no problem but not the other way around. Then I thought maybe it's because of the same email, so I switched my computer to using a different email but I still can't Facetime my phone from the computer, it says I am busy. I guess I need to somehow register that my email on the phone is for Facetime but I don't know how and don't have anyone with another iPhone to test this with...
post #66 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Different purposes, Unix philosophy. Facetime is video chat. iChat is text chat. I think the brand FaceTime makes it profitable to execute the each tool does it's job well idea rather than just bury ever more features into the same wrapper.

Ummm.....Hiro, you knew about iChat AV, right? You know, the one with video chat...

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #67 of 87
I chat has such better features like 3 way calling screen sharing etc. I hope this is not going to replace ichat. I needs to grow and be better than ichat.
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

Just Face Time'd my phone from my Mac. Works well. Forgot how ugly I am!

I'm sure you are beautiful in your own way.

Quote:

Let's see. Call yourself on your iPhone 4 or new touch, put it on the back camera, and point it at your computer's camera. You see screens within screens, receding into infinity, and hear echoes receding into the wifi matrix. What does it all mean?

You are so high right now.
post #69 of 87
Call the phone from the Mac using your number and the Mac from the phone using your email address, mine are in the same contact, easy, peasy and works like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

How do you set this up to work when you want to call yourself from your phone to your computer? I have the same email on both and I can call my computer from the phone no problem but not the other way around. Then I thought maybe it's because of the same email, so I switched my computer to using a different email but I still can't Facetime my phone from the computer, it says I am busy. I guess I need to somehow register that my email on the phone is for Facetime but I don't know how and don't have anyone with another iPhone to test this with...
post #70 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You are so high right now.

How did you know? But I'm always like this, since 1967 anyway.

Seriously though, I'm tellin' y'all that the key difference between FaceTime and preceding video chat setups is the rear camera, and the ease of switching between them. They could have called it PlaceTime, almost. Now any newish Mac has potential tentacles to intelligent, handheld, instantly responsive webcams around the world. "Point it that way . . . lemme see that . . . " and so on. Are you listening, Dr. Milmoss?
post #71 of 87
I'm listening. If I ever have to check the back of my head I'll keep it mind.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #72 of 87
Just downloaded, installed, and tested between my iPhone and Mac.

Works beautifully, both ways. (On the iPhone, just pull up the Contacts list and touch the icon on the bottom right that says 'Facetime').
post #73 of 87
But overall works well. Placed calls from MacBook in Tokyo to iPhones in Atlanta and Minneapolis. Really hoping apple makes a peripheral cam for iPad.
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just downloaded, installed, and tested between my iPhone and Mac.

Works beautifully, both ways. (On the iPhone, just pull up the Contacts list and touch the icon on the bottom right that says 'Facetime').

Oddly, I can call my Mac from my iPhone, but not vice-versa. I'm probably using the same ID on both, but then neither should work, right?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #75 of 87
i tried calling my iPhone number from Mac, but it says i need to 'update to the latest version of FaceTime'.

anyone know why?
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
post #76 of 87
Quote:

Oddly, I can call my Mac from my iPhone, but not vice-versa. I'm probably using the same ID on both, but then neither should work, right?

It would seem neither should, but if it works, it works. Anyway, I just added a second email address to my Mac, that of my wife's, so now I don't have to give out my actual Apple ID as an address, which is the same as my main email. It was easy to add this second email from Preferences under FaceTime. Then I called the Mac, after doing the verification routine, and it just went and worked.

Amazing, really. What's curious is how little delay there is between the two ends of the call.
post #77 of 87
Quote:

It won't work at all, on either my MacBook Pro or my daughter's brand new iMac. It just spins and spins at the "signing in" stage.

I think it might be a port-forwarding thing.

So that leads me to my question:

If I have to use port forwarding, then how the heck do I use Facetime on my MacBook Pro, on my iPod Touch and my daughter's iMac at the same time, on the same network?

I had the same spining at the "signing in" stage here too. Just turned off my fire wall and it worked straight away. Anybody know which ports to open so I can turn my firewall on again?
post #78 of 87
Quote:

You have two different email addresses, right, one on the phone and one on the computer? Once you call one with the other, you add the other to the contact list, and they can each call the other. I've done it both ways now.

But I didn't see a way to manually add my touch as a contact on the Mac. I had to call the Mac with the touch to add the contact. Yes it is weird.

You have me completely confused. I have one email address at both locations... my mobile me email address, which is what I am using for FaceTime on my Mac. When I try to "call" that email address from the iPhone 4, it immediately opens mail and tries to send an email instead.

OOOPS! Well, I have been doing it all wrong. didn't notice that in contacts you have that "FaceTime" button down in the lower right to initiate from iPhone. Lol, its working now, although it appears you have to have FaceTime open first on the Mac to make it work... would be nice if it opened automatically when someone is trying to contact you.
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

I had the same spining at the "signing in" stage here too. Just turned off my fire wall and it worked straight away. Anybody know which ports to open so I can turn my firewall on again?

Once you get past the "signing in" stage you can turn on the firewall again, without opening any additional ports, and it should work. At least that was my experience. Using this method I've been able to activate Facetime on all 3 of my devices (2 Macs and one iPod Touch) and converse easily between them. Each device must be signed in to FaceTime using a different Apple ID.
post #80 of 87
Quote:

Each device must be signed in to FaceTime using a different Apple ID.

You would think so, but apparently having only one ID for both is only a problem with the Mac calling to the iPhone. The other direction still works. My experience, so far. Anyone else try this?
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple adds FaceTime video chat support to the Mac