or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

post #1 of 356
Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Wednesday he and his company asked themselves "What would happen if a MacBook and an iPad hooked up?" The result: two new MacBook Airs with screen sizes of 11.6 inches and 13.3 inches and instant-on capabilities, starting at just $999, and now available.

The new MacBook Air has no optical drive and no hard drive, which allows instant-on capabilities. The MacBook Air has memory up to two times faster that is more reliable and 90 percent smaller and lighter, Jobs said.

Both models have a forward-facing FaceTime camera, an Core 2 Duo processor, and Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics.

The new 13-inch model gets 7 hours of battery life (done with "more stringent tests"), with 30 days of standby time. The new MacBook Air has a full-size keyboard and a full-size glass trackpad as well. The 13.3-inch display is 1440-by-900 pixels, and the model weighs just 2.9 pounds.

The larger model starts at $1,299 for 128GB of storage with a 1.86GHZ processor. Doubling the storage to 256GB is $1,599.

The 11-inch model has a display resolution of 1366x768 pixels. It's just as thin, but is even lighter, at just 2.3 pounds.

The low-end model has a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo and 64GB of storage for $999. a higher-end model with 128GB inside costs $1,199.

Memory, rather than being enclosed in a solid state drive, are directly on the motherboard, allowing Apple to save space within the notebook. Jobs showed the inside of the MacBook Air, demonstrating that most of the space inside is used for the batteries.

"MacBook Air is the first of a new generation of notebooks that leaves behind mechanical rotating storage in favor of solid state flash storage," said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. "Weve taken what we have learned with the iPadsolid state storage, instant-on, amazing battery standby time, miniaturization and lightweight construction, to create the new MacBook Air. With its amazing responsiveness and mobility, it will change the way we think about notebooks."

Construction

The new MacBook Air measures an incredibly thin 0.11-inches at its thinnest point and 0.68-inches at its thickest, and weighs just 2.3 pounds for the 11-inch model and 2.9 pounds for the 13-inch. Like iPad, MacBook Air was designed from the ground up to use flash storage exclusively.

Apples custom-designed flash storage is 90 percent smaller and lighter than a conventional notebook hard drive, contributing to MacBook Airs mobile, featherweight design. MacBook Airs flash storage also provides faster data access and is more reliable than notebook hard drives due to its solid state design.

MacBook Air features a full-sized keyboard for typing comfort and productivity, as well as the highly acclaimed glass Multi-Touch trackpad found on Apples MacBook Pro, so you can scroll through web sites, flip through photos, and resize or rotate images all from the trackpad. The built-in FaceTime camera, mic and stereo speakers are perfect for video calls with iPhone 4, iPod touch and other Macs.

Specs

Flash storage combined with power-efficient Intel Core 2 Duo processors and Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics delivers an ideal balance of mobility, battery life and performance.

MacBook Air features an 11.6-inch or 13.3-inch high-resolution LED-backlit display and Mini DisplayPort to connect your 27-inch Apple LED Cinema Display, projector or HD TV. It also has 802.11n Wi-Fi networking.

MacBook Air includes Bluetooth 2.1+EDR for wireless peripherals and two USB ports. The 13-inch MacBook Air also includes an SD card slot.

Full specs:
Size and weight
Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
Width: 11.8 inches (29.95 cm)
Depth: 7.56 inches (19.2 cm)
Weight: 2.3 pounds (1.06 kg)
Processor and memory
1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache; or optional 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache
800MHz frontside bus
2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM onboard (4GB maximum)
Storage
64GB
128GB
Display
11.6-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
Supported resolutions: 1366 by 768 (native), 1344 by 756, 1280 by 720, 1024 by 576 pixels at 16:9 aspect ratio; 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio
Graphics and video support
Mini DisplayPort
Pure digital video output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (sold separately)
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
FaceTime camera
Keyboard and trackpad
Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted T arrangement)
Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
Peripheral connections
USB 2.0
Mini DisplayPort
MagSafe
USB 2.0
Headphone
Microphone
Audio
Stereo speakers
Omnidirectional microphone
Headphone minijack
Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
Communications
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking4 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
Apple USB Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
Battery and power
Built-in 35-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
45W MagSafe power adapter with cable management system
MagSafe power port
Environmental

The MacBook Air is the latest Mac notebook to achieve EPEAT Gold status and meet Energy Star 5.0 requirements. Each unibody enclosure is made of highly recyclable aluminum and comes standard with energy efficient LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. Mac notebooks contain no brominated flame retardants, are PVC-free and are constructed of recyclable materials.

Apple uses advanced chemistry and Adaptive Charging technology to create a MacBook Air battery that delivers up to seven hours of wireless productivity on a single charge and up to 1,000 recharges. The built-in battery design results in less waste, and depleted MacBook Air batteries can be replaced for $129, which includes installation and disposal of your old battery in an environmentally responsible manner.

Software

Every Mac comes with Mac OS® X Snow Leopard and the new iLife 11. The updated software suite features iPhoto with full screen views for browsing, editing and sharing photos; iMovie with powerful easy-to-use tools to transform home videos into fun theatrical trailers; and GarageBand with new ways to improve your playing and create great sounding songs.

Pricing & Availability

The 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air are immediately available through the Apple Store at apple.com, Apples retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 1.4 GHz 11-inch MacBook Air with 2GB of memory and 64GB of flash storage starts at a suggested retail price of $999 (US) with a 128GB model for $1,199 (US).

The 1.86 GHz 13-inch MacBook Air with 2GB of memory and 128GB of flash storage starts at a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US) with a 256GB model for $1,599 (US).

Configure-to-order options and accessories include faster processors, 4GB of memory, MacBook Air SuperDrive and a USB Ethernet Adapter.
post #2 of 356
Looks slick for those who whine about an iPad being limited.

I'll take the regular MacBook Pro.
post #3 of 356
APPLE MADE A NETBOOK!!!!!

(Underpowered, little memory, low battery life.....)
post #4 of 356
lacking a touch screen for one....
post #5 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

you forgot 'flash' ;-)
post #6 of 356
I was right about it being more about standby-time than startup time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #7 of 356
You forgot more than twice as spendy as everyone else's
post #8 of 356
True to my word, I will pull the trigger on a sub-notebook with normal size keyboard from Apple. The 11.6" looks like a winner.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #9 of 356
Totally F'ing WANT...

The only thing i wish they would address, is the ability to sync or at least view files (Primarily via iTunes) back to your primary device. Like a home networking iTunes. I would really like to see something like this in the next iTunes release that would, even more, enhance the experience of a mobile device. Because this MBA is not really meant to be the primary device, just an accessory to your home network, IMO.

The other issue i'm having with the Mac App store is that it's not available for PC, and it doesn't seem to sync with Apps you have one your phone/pad/touch??? Anyone know if this is just not available or is it something they haven't mentioned due to limited demo time for the Keynote?
post #10 of 356
I'm mad. No SQUID interface.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #11 of 356
Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.
post #12 of 356
The "SSD" on these things is actually integrated into the motherboard.

So that means in 6-9 months when the new fabs, for the die shrink on flash chips, are in full production, and you get twice the SSD storage for the same price you are paying today, you can't upgrade this machine. It is another case of Apple being more concerned about making something thinner without regard to the practical disadvantages that result.

They look great but I can't see buying one with such limited upgrade options for storage down the road.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #13 of 356
This is probably the lamest thing I ve said but I am finally going to retire my pbook 12 and (that's the lame bit)...

I think I m in love with this new air.

How long till the UK store shows these products as available.
post #14 of 356
Wait... did I misunderstand, or does it now top out at 1.86 GHz? What happened to the existing 2.13? They made it *slower*?!

I was really hoping for a ULV i5 or i7, but that was probably too much to hope, given the Intel / NVIDIA fiasco.
post #15 of 356
Quote:

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

The 2GB thing though, that's a pity.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.
post #16 of 356
Looks nice, but I agree with mdriftmeyer, my next Mac will be another MBP....or an iMac if my wife gets her way.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #17 of 356
Undeniable ... freaking beautiful design, technically and aesthetically.

Aggressive pricing but most people are going to opt for more storage and so they probably won't sell many at the low entry point pricing.

Funny part is that I'll probably still opt for a new MacBook Pro on my next laptop, since I want the extra power/options.
post #18 of 356
OMG ... the new MacBook Air .. is thinner than a piece of PAPER!!

How in the world ... !!
What will they do next ??
What CAN they do next ??
What is LEFT to do ??

post #19 of 356
well, macbook air is not my taste, and lack of power I need. so it was a long time ago I've never interested in it. so whatever they announced today, it's not for me. but it looks even thinner than previous model. beautiful. nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless.

by the way, it's very funny that Steve Jobs was never interested in producing netbook kind of thing. now, they made it. why? I think ipad is enough. why did they made 11.6 inch macbook air? why? I don't get it. as you know, the price is still expensive with that spec. I pass it. no interest.
post #20 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

2GB, where are you getting that? That was the other problem with the current Air.
post #21 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

...it doesn't seem to sync with Apps you have one your phone/pad/touch??? Anyone know if this is just not available or is it something they haven't mentioned due to limited demo time for the Keynote?

iOS and OS/X aren't compatible (yet). So iOS apps won't run on OS/X. And they expose a touch interface, not a mouse interface. While it should be technically possible to accomplish by the time Lion comes out (you can run iOS apps in the development simulator after all), I don't see how it will work well.
post #22 of 356
OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick
post #23 of 356
I guess I'll go wait in line at the Apple store now...

The 11.6" 128GB will be a nice addition for me...exactly what I was hoping for...
A proud owner of Apple stock since my Apple IIe
post #24 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Yes. http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
post #25 of 356
Yeah. Sure.
We first lay our hands on your new MBA, Apple. We will then charge the battery and will drain it. Or we just shut the system down.
Only then we will know how amazingly instant your on is.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #26 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The "SSD" on these things is actually integrated into the motherboard.

So that means in 6-9 months when the new fabs, for the die shrink on flash chips, are in full production, and you get twice the SSD storage for the same price you are paying today, you can't upgrade this machine. It is another case of Apple being more concerned about making something thinner without regard to the practical disadvantages that result.

They look great but I can't see buying one with such limited upgrade options for storage down the road.

-kpluck

Did you upgrade your current notebook's hard drive to a larger capacity?

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 356
Quote:

It's clearly an ultra-portable. A 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo makes an Atom cry out of shame.

2USB, SD, headphone, mini DP, MagSafe - at least the ports are reasonable this time.

The swap will be fast on ssd, but even so my old Macbook had 2gb and struggled. i can't imagine it would be much better
post #28 of 356
Why the ancient processors? Where's the i3 through i7's???????????
post #29 of 356
How does the 320M compare to the Ati X1600 256MB dedicated on the late 2006 MBP's? I have a 2.33Ghz MBP and am thinking of replacing it with the $1299 MBA and then an iMac (next revision). I was just wondering how the video processing will compare as I will want to be able to watch HD movies on my MBA on the go (if possible) / edit photos / some light gaming.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
post #30 of 356
Hmmm, the Apple home page is currently just black. Fun. Haven't updated the store yet but the new Air product page is up for anyone wondering where the tech specs are coming from.

Specifically says "4GB Maximum" for ram, so upgradable by Apple, at least, even if that means paying their goofy ram prices.

Also comes with a USB system restore stick! The future is now!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #31 of 356
Quote:

The new MacBook Airs do not fit the definition.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&cl...g&ved=0CCAQkAE

Unlike some of the idiots posting here.
post #32 of 356
Quote:

well, netbook is ultraportable, too (and screen size is within what netbook has). new macbook air is category in netbook according to definition. it got very lower power chipset. it's definitely apple brand netbook. don't be ridiculous.
post #33 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

well, macbook air is not my taste, and lack of power I need. so it was a long time ago I've never interested in it. so whatever they announced today, it's not for me. but it looks even thinner than previous model. beautiful. nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless.

by the way, it's very funny that Steve Jobs was never interested in producing netbook kind of thing. now, they made it. why? I think ipad is enough. why did they made 11.6 inch macbook air? why? I don't get it. as you know, the price is still expensive with that spec. I pass it. no interest.

Can we please put this post first in the thread, so anyone else interested of making such a textbook example of a bs post apple keynote post, will see their "views" already expressed?

Btw as I have suggested before there's always macrumors for such type of posting, the good, trusted, garbage bin of posting that are the macrumors forums, may I suggest a link there where you are going to find kindred spirits in trash talking: forums.macrumors.com

Ps. Even by web standards your grammar and syntax are just atrocious. You don't even bother to capitalize letters at the beginnings of sentences. Are you that ignorant or that bored? If there ever was a more fitting example of form fitting content... it reads like a joke actually, maybe it is one, lol.
post #34 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post

OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick

I haven't installed a program on my Macbook Pro using a "disk" in probably over a year. Other than the OS and Apps disk...I'm not even sure I have any...

...I'm sure someone will invent an external optical drive that uses the USB interface
post #35 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Both MBAs accept 2 or 4G memory.
post #36 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Undeniable ... freaking beautiful design, technically and aesthetically.

Aggressive pricing but most people are going to opt for more storage and so they probably won't sell many at the low entry point pricing.

Funny part is that I'll probably still opt for a new MacBook Pro on my next laptop, since I want the extra power/options.

if i were to get a mac laptop the 13" air with 4 gig ram and 256g would be the one. very nice.
post #37 of 356
Quote:

well, netbook is ultraportable, too (and screen size is within what netbook has). new macbook air is category in netbook according to definition. it got very lower power chipset. it's definitely apple brand netbook. don't be ridiculous.

It’s nothing like a netbook.
post #38 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post

Who cares about processors. This thing is the "Sex" and it's "elegant" and "oh so thin". I, like all Apple Fans, can't wait to shell $1000 for this "delicious" laptop with it's Sexy 11.6" screen and 2 WHOLE GIGS of RAM!!!!

Woooo Hoooo This changes everything!!!! Go Steve!!!
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #39 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post

I wish you would think before you ask such questions
post #40 of 356
Quote:

nowadays, what do you with 64, 128GB HDD? no optical drive nothing? totally useless. .

You obviously have no idea what the intent of this device is. Who uses optical drives? I haven't popped a disc in in years. App Store for downloads. iTunes for movies. They are providing an ecosystem for "most" of us. It just isn't right for you.

Do you still need a floppy drive? Antiquated technology has to get retired at some point. Luckily Apple is there to show us the way.

Have you seen a PC laptop these days? They haven't changed in 10 years. Crappy plastic enclosures, super heavy and normally bad display specs.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'