or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad' - Page 8

post #281 of 356

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #282 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

NO 3G ! (very important for me, and iPad won't do it, don't even suggest)

So buy from a completely different manufacturer instead of whining about it here.

Quote:
No matte screen option (screw APPL).

There's no matte option on any of Apple's low-end machines. Why the heck would you think this would be any different?

Quote:
Does any one cares about this marginal improvements in features?

Apparently you don't understand the purpose of a press conference when compared to a developer conference.

Quote:
Bite me.

Get a life, troll.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #283 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

AWESOME!!!
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #284 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I was really hoping that the new 11" model would be able to replace my hackintoshed HP Mini. Unfortunately it still falls far short on features.

Disappointing.

Buy 3 or 4 new Minis with the money you saved. Network and share all the hard drives. Leave them scattered around your home. Bedroom. Den. TV room.

You'll be glad you did.
post #285 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

This new mcabook is under powered, under storage, and the battery life is unimpressive.
Sorry apple I do not see the value in this one.

Fine. Then don't buy one.

Problem solved.
post #286 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Now they are making it fast ENOUGH and more aggressively priced.

Just like a netbook. The innovation continues...
post #287 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post

So sue me, sometimes 7 hours isn't enough! Plus I doubt you get 5-7 hours playing HD movies.

The Air cannot display HD movies.

Problem solved.
post #288 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

There's a difference between ultraportable and netbook.

Do tell. I love discussing the meanings of words.

I always thought a netbook was one type of ultraportable computer. But do you maintain that they are distinct?

Here's a possible distinction: Netbooks are intended to use the 'net - to access the internet and all the great interactive stuff on the 'net. But the Air cannot access most interactive web sites (unless you install extra software and accept its crashing), so it CANNOT be a "netbook".

Does that help?
post #289 of 356
I'm amazed with the tone of half of the posts on here. While it's completely fine and appropriate to critique Apple where one sees the need for improvement, half of the posters reacted to this press conference like it's a personal affront to you. As if Steve presented the new MBAs, and then punched you in the face, gave you the finger and said, "HAHAHA! I knew exactly what you wanted, and I'm not gonna give it to you, so screw you!!!"

I think Apple is very well aware that the MBA is not gonna suit everyone's needs, which is why they also have the MacBook line and the MacBook Pro line; as well as iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro. Now, if along with We think its the future of notebooks, Steve had said "Because we think this is the only notebook you will ever need, we will be shutting down our MacBook and MacBook Pro lines," then people here would have legitimate complaints about the MBA not having enough storage or being underpowered, etc.

Those complaining about lack of 3Gwhere exactly did Apple actually promise 3G in the MBA? Microsoft and others in the industry have a nasty habit of promising products with fantastic features, and then being unable to deliver on those promises. Apple has chosen not to do that. They don't "pre-announce" hardware products to come "some time in the future". They like the drama and "wow" factor of springing something new on the world. So this whole "I'm mad at Apple because they didn't include 3G in the MBA" is kinda moot since they never promised it in the first place, and because there are other ways to get 3G.
post #290 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I still find the iPad completely useless,

C'mon. It is a great ebook reader. Probably the best.

Other stuff? Not so much. I prefer to sit on the couch with my laptop plugged in via HDMI and use my 46 inch screen with a multitouch trackpad and keyboard. 5.1 channel sound, full web access.

But for reading books? It is better than the Kindle. And that is saying a LOT.
post #291 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) The 16:9 and 5 hour battery is a deal breaker for me.

Then don't buy one.

Problem solved.
post #292 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Then don't buy one.

Problem solved.

UGH! Its going to be one of those days, eh? Perhaps you should learn what the term deal breaker means as not buying is strongly implied by that term.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #293 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think in general most people understand that "netbook" is shorthand for "cheap little laptop that cuts a lot of corners to sell you something for under $300"

Naw. Most people think of netbooks as cute little computers that do most everything except huge number crunching tasks. They do it by putting the compromises in the right places. They are ultraportable, cheap enough to gift to a kid, and capable of doing any consumer-class computing task under the sun, if speed is not the main criteria.
post #294 of 356
you got no one dude, other than inserting your own dialog/spin into other's arguments again.
Quote:

Gotcha. Thought you meant they claimed this. Ive certainly claimed that the ODD is reaching its EOL as were seeing more machines without ODDs from all vendors, the huge amount of space they take up, not seeing Apple add any Blu-ray support and the lack of ODD performance upgrades for years in Mac notebooks.
post #295 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If you want it all, head over to the MacBook Pro.

Can you play Crysis on a MacBook Pro? If you want it all, the MBP may not be the best choice.
post #296 of 356
I am a tech geek. I like to replace my laptop every year. Performance matters to me. So I have a MacBook Pro. It's brilliant.

My wife isn't a tech geek. She's an ordinary laptop user who needs a machine for running all of the seven primary productivity apps: MS Office (iWork), Email, Web browsing and managing contacts, diary appointments, iTunes and iPhoto. She doesn't need a Core i7 processor and she hates carrying around a heavy lump of metal or plastic. Unlike me, she only ever replaces her laptop when the old one is too old to function.

We just compared the new 13" MacBook Air to her near-death 2007 Sony VAIO S-Series. The increase in performance offered by Apple's MBA is, quite simply, astonishing. Frankly, for 99.999% of tasks, it has all the computing power she'll ever need for both business and leisure. Apple figured out her needs perfectly. Result: PC: 0; Apple: 1.

When Steve Jobs grandly stated that the MBA represents the future of notebooks, he was right. SSD has to be the way to go. Who needs a DVD drive on a regular basis? And long battery life is essential. This has it all.

Would have liked to have seen a 500 Gb SSD option, but other than that, it's perfect. She'll be getting one for Christmas, so long as her Sony holds out.
post #297 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Umm...
But flash chips seem indeed sitting on a mezzanine...

'

Very very interesting web page. It argues that the MacBook Pro is NOT a "mobile device".

"A truly mobile device needs to be light, thin, and strong enough to take with you wherever you go. It also needs to perform quickly, spring to life instantly, and have enough battery power to keep up with you. It should have no spinning hard drive, no optical drive, and no unnecessary parts. All of that is true of iPad. And now, its true of Apples most mobile notebook ever: MacBook Air."

The MacBook Pro does NOT "spring to life instantly".
The MacBook Pro does NOT exclude "a spinning hard drive".
The Macbook Pro does NOT exclude an optical drive.
The MacBook Pro, accordingly, is NOT a "mobile device"

What utter horse shit.
post #298 of 356
I think a lot of people would agree with me when i say I think Apple as addressed the idea of the Netbook in the iPad. The problem I have with that, is that it lacks a physical keyboard that's portable and works in your lap. I hear you man about afford-ability, but Apple is known to be a company that doesn't make products that are affordable to the masses of users that can't afford a $1000 laptop for surfing the web. They have a 20% market share with Macs. Plus they don't make Crap products, no to say the competition is crap, but Apple products work from day one and continue to work for years. Most of the competition cannot claim that. So you pay for quality. I too wish the Air would have priced out in the $499 range and the iPad in the $299 range, but that's a pipe-dream and will never happen now that Apple has locked in their prices, as they always do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Apple doesn't make a netbook because they suffer a lack of confidence in their ability to dramatically grow the Mac market, and instead worry about cannibalizing sales.

Here's a question. COULD Apple make a Netbook? Nobody here would doubt it! So why don't they?

It would be the portable mini to their MacBook. The same form factor as the 11" Air, but with compromises made to make it more easily affordable, especially for switchers who already have PCs. Sure, it wouldn't encode HD videos as fast, but most Netbook users are "english majors" and so on who just need to browse the web or use Office to write papers.

We know a Netbook can run Snow Leopard very well BECAUSE IT ALREADY DOES! Safari runs brilliantly, and can even play 1080P videos given the GPU. Hell, even using flash video players. It works today, and the hardware costs under half to under a quarter as much.

Why do people buy Netbooks? Are they unsophisticated barbarians who can't appreciate an $8 biscotti? I submit they don't need a $1000+ laptop to surf the web or run Quicken, so why pay that much?

But no, instead Apple shuns an entire market because they lack the confidence to own it despite having the ability. Instead they spend millions in R&D to cater to a very, very small niche market. Maybe it's because Steve wouldn't use a Netbook, and thus nobody should.

Or maybe I'm full of shit and there is no market for such a product. I suspect otherwise given the Netbook phenomenon, however.
post #299 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

I was about to be all over that 11", but no SD card slot... I wonder why (obviously size) they would concede that? Looks like I'll have to consider the 13".

Tell me about it... Do I i stick with my work dell 4200 with its slow SSD, absolutely godawful keyboard, but has sd slot, or do i dump it, and go with the 11.6" macbookair, and be stuck with (more) dongles.
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #300 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I'm amazed with the tone of half of the posts on here. While it's completely fine and appropriate to critique Apple where one sees the need for improvement, half of the posters reacted to this press conference like it's a personal affront to you. As if Steve presented the new MBAs, and then punched you in the face, gave you the finger and said, "HAHAHA! I knew exactly what you wanted, and I'm not gonna give it to you, so screw you!!!"

I think Apple is very well aware that the MBA is not gonna suit everyone's needs, which is why they also have the MacBook line and the MacBook Pro line; as well as iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro. Now, if along with We think its the future of notebooks, Steve had said "Because we think this is the only notebook you will ever need, we will be shutting down our MacBook and MacBook Pro lines," then people here would have legitimate complaints about the MBA not having enough storage or being underpowered, etc.

Those complaining about lack of 3Gwhere exactly did Apple actually promise 3G in the MBA? Microsoft and others in the industry have a nasty habit of promising products with fantastic features, and then being unable to deliver on those promises. Apple has chosen not to do that. They don't "pre-announce" hardware products to come "some time in the future". They like the drama and "wow" factor of springing something new on the world. So this whole "I'm mad at Apple because they didn't include 3G in the MBA" is kinda moot since they never promised it in the first place, and because there are other ways to get 3G.

Thank you !! ... one sane post
post #301 of 356
For one you obvious missed the keynote, because SJ answers just about all your questions, except for the 3G/GPS one, but I think that's obvious. Even though I too would like to see some 3G added as an options in the future. As far as the touch screen is concerned. SJ answered that question by saying that after testing, they found that touch screens don't work on a vertical surface and causes too much fatigue when using in extended periods of time (his words paraphrased, not mine).

Personally, after thinking about this device last night, I kind of question SJ's logic about this device being the bastard love child of the iPad and the MBP as well as you did. It's really more Mac than iPad. They learned a lot about how to build hardware thin and light from the iPad/phone/pod and incorporated it into the MBA, but that's where the comparisons end. There is nothing iOS about the new MBA. Sure when Lion comes out we will have Apps, but those Apps won't sync to iOS devices. So there's nothing genuinely iOS about the MBA. I think that is turely the only aspect of the new MBA that is a fail. And, I think they could have made the product more affordable to the masses is they did make an iOS Laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post

Steve said this is like the ipad and macbook combined.

Not even close- It it were than there would be a 3g radio built in and maybe a GPS. How about a touch screen.

I currently have a macbookpro 13" That is my primary computer. I am considering an IPAD as my walk around machine.

This new mcabook is under powered, under storage, and the battery life is unimpressive.
Sorry apple I do not see the value in this one.
post #302 of 356
On an Airplane going from Chicago to London, or LA to Singapore, just to name a few.
Quote:

But I wonder, how often will someone find themselves without access to a power outlet for more than 6 hours?
post #303 of 356
A Netbook IS an Ultraportable laptop. The End, Good Bye!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

There's a difference between ultraportable and netbook.
post #304 of 356
Thank you! Wish you had commented yesterday, would have shut a lot of people up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

i think you (and actually several other people in the thread) are conflating several remarks from Jobs, several years apart.

Two years ago, during an earnings conference call (and near the beginning of the recession), he said this in a response to a question about cutting Mac prices to be more competitive:

During the same conference call he was asked specifically about netbooks and said that Apple was taking a "wait and see" attitude and that they had "some interesting ideas" about the segment.

And then earlier this year, during the introduction of the iPad he dismissed netbooks as slow, having poor quality screens and being burdened with Windows software.

I think in general most people understand that "netbook" is shorthand for "cheap little laptop that cuts a lot of corners to sell you something for under $300" and it's obvious why Jobs would have no interest in that idea. And then the idea is further muddied by "netbooks" that keep getting bigger and more expensive, until it's unclear why we are obliged to call them netbooks and not cheap laptops.

So any idea that Apple or Jobs have reversed course with regards to "netbooks" is unfounded, IMO.
post #305 of 356
Oh Steve I just came.... please Steve tell me what should I do next.
post #306 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Battery life? You're crazy. Name another similar laptop that gets more battery life.

so because nobody else offers a similar sized laptop with the same battery life, that makes the MBA's claimed life fit his requirements?
post #307 of 356
We are not mad that Apple reneged on any promise, and we are not mad at SJ for raising the Middle Finger. We're mad because 3G on an Ultra-portable is something of a given when looking at the competition. Even ATT is selling Mini's on their site with 3G built-in. It's as much of a given on a Ultra-portable as a wireless network card.

You completely missed the point of our posts on this forum about the short-comings of Apple product. We're not offended, just frustrated that Apple is not addressing certain obvious requests of their users. SJ claims they went through tons of user/focus groups and incorporated those studies into their new products, but some issues just don't come up in a test lab.
Quote:

post #308 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

On an Airplane going from Chicago to London, or LA to Singapore, just to name a few.

Increasingly, international airlines are including power outlets in their planes. I did a google search for "using laptop on airline" and found a link to this website

Here are some of the airlines that offer laptop power on some of their long-haul economy flights:

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Emirates
Lufthansa
Qantas Airways
Singapore Airlines
United Airlines
Virgin Atlantic Airways

This list is by no means exhaustive, and nearly all of the airlines provide laptop power in business class or first class, so if you absolutely must work for your entire 14 hour flight, then it shouldn't be hard to find an airline that will be able to supply you with that capability. If your work is that important for your company, then they should be willing to shell out the extra money to get you a business-class seat, where you are almost guaranteed to have laptop power.

Problem solved (nod to appl)
post #309 of 356
Quote:

We are not mad that Apple reneged on any promise, and we are not mad at SJ for raising the Middle Finger. We're mad because 3G on an Ultra-portable is something of a given when looking at the competition. Even ATT is selling Mini's on their site with 3G built-in. It's as much of a given on a Ultra-portable as a wireless network card.

You completely missed the point of our posts on this forum about the short-comings of Apple product. We're not offended, just frustrated that Apple is not addressing certain obvious requests of their users. SJ claims they went through tons of user/focus groups and incorporated those studies into their new products, but some issues just don't come up in a test lab.

Apple doesn't do focus groups. And Apple doesn't look at the competition. A side effect of this will inevitably be that some items on users' wishlists won't make it to market. But honestly, I don't think Steve or his engineering teams lose much sleep over this, considering the huge popularity Apple is currently enjoying. Naysayer's comments aside, it's pretty clear that Apple's been doing it right for some time now.
post #310 of 356
Quote:

Increasingly, international airlines are including power outlets in their planes. I did a google search for "using laptop on airline" and found a link to this website

Here are some of the airlines that offer laptop power on some of their long-haul economy flights:

American Airlines
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Emirates
Lufthansa
Qantas Airways
Singapore Airlines
United Airlines
Virgin Atlantic Airways

This list is by no means exhaustive, and nearly all of the airlines provide laptop power in business class or first class, so if you absolutely must work for your entire 14 hour flight, then it shouldn't be hard to find an airline that will be able to supply you with that capability. If your work is that important for your company, then they should be willing to shell out the extra money to get you a business-class seat, where you are almost guaranteed to have laptop power.

Problem solved (nod to appl)

Ah, you are being too sensible.

Add Air Canada.

Bought an airline power adapter for my MacBook Pro a couple of years ago. Have yet to take it out of the package. And that is after a dozen flights in that time to Norita, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, New York, Boston and London.

In fact, I bought a couple of extra batteries at the same time. Rarely had to use them traveling. I carry a auto power converter to charge my battery. Every where I go there is a power outlet available. Even in the cabs.
post #311 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Ah, you are being too sensible.

Sorry. I'll try to be more ranty next time.
post #312 of 356
Quote:

LOL - best post in the thread.

Thanks for the perspective
post #313 of 356
Quote:

UGH! Its going to be one of those days, eh? Perhaps you should learn what the term deal breaker means as not buying is strongly implied by that term.

I think you are seeing a general frustration with people acting like companies like Apple should cater to their every whim and then they feel compelled to throw a tantrum in public Internet forums when they don't.

Dont' worry, it will pass....
post #314 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Can you play Crysis on a MacBook Pro? If you want it all, the MBP may not be the best choice.

Sure you can. With everything cranked to the max? Probably not. If games are your priority, go get a Windows laptop with dual cards - just be prepared to not be able to run it for more than 10 minutes on battery and have a roller bag handy or get a hernia from hauling your 15 lb "portable" computer around. See, compromises...

Life is about choices and compromises. That I even have to point that out boggles...

Besides if we could get exactly what we wanted whenever we wanted, how boring would life be?
post #315 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

We just compared the new 13" MacBook Air to her near-death 2007 Sony VAIO S-Series. The increase in performance offered by Apple's MBA is, quite simply, astonishing. Frankly, for 99.999% of tasks, it has all the computing power she'll ever need for both business and leisure. Apple figured out her needs perfectly. Result: PC: 0; Apple: 1.

When Steve Jobs grandly stated that the MBA represents the future of notebooks, he was right. SSD has to be the way to go. Who needs a DVD drive on a regular basis? And long battery life is essential. This has it all.

To all the "I don't get it" people out there - this. Read this mans post again, carefully. It's rational and based on real world requirements.

Does computer X meet my need? Yes! Therefore, I'm buying it. If the Air doesn't meet your needs, fantastic! But just because it doesn't meet your needs it doesn't mean Apple is stupid or going out of business

I swear, it's like people don't realize the universe doesn't revolve around their wants/needs/desires...
post #316 of 356
Quote:

I hear you man about afford-ability, but Apple is known to be a company that doesn't make products that are affordable to the masses of users [..] and the iPad in the $299 range

I am sick and tired of the complaining about the iPad price.

When someone release a tablet with the same size and quality screen and similar features (heck, it could even be heavier and bulkier and I will concede) then any commentary on price will be justified.

So far no one has been able to touch Apple at their price point - even using cheaper displays (which according to sites like iSupply are the bulk of the iPad cost).

I know people aren't used to thinking of Apple as a price leader, but with the iPad they clearly are and they deserve credit for it.

Just like with Netbooks, if you aren't willing to pay for that level of quality, that's another discussion - but all this talk that the iPad is overpriced or that there should be a $299 version is just plain nuts - it's not going to happen.
post #317 of 356
Quote:

You must really be flying a crappy airline if they don't have power available to you on a transatlantic flight - in fact, looking through a smattering of planes on the major carriers on seatguru.com they all have power of some form available.
post #318 of 356
Quote:

A Netbook IS an Ultraportable laptop.

Yup, a cheap version full of compromises. but you are correct, it is a subset of ultraportables.
post #319 of 356
Quote:

Thank you! Wish you had commented yesterday, would have shut a lot of people up.

Don't bank on it - because you are still going to get the inane comments like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gescom View Post

Oh Steve I just came.... please Steve tell me what should I do next.

If your that incapable of independent thought it's pretty dangerous for someone of your week intellectual ability to be reading Internet forums, let alone posting in them
post #320 of 356
Quote:

A Netbook IS an Ultraportable laptop. The End, Good Bye!

Netbooks are a type of ultraportable, but not all ultraportables are netbooks. The Air is not a netbook since it does not use an Atom processor.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'