or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'

Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad' - Page 3

post #81 of 356
Well... I will be paying a visit to the Apple store to see them in person. Even though I do love my 1st gen MBA, I'm longing for SSD, more RAM, and Nvidia graphics. Since my job has me being very mobile, the 13" has just what I'm looking for.

If there is one thing (minor) I would have liked is for Apple to use a more robust glass screen like the regular MBP's. MBA's being targeted for the highly-mobile consumer, it just makes it so much easier to clean as the displays do get dusty quickly from being carried around.

Looking forward to my next Apple store visit! Next in line will be two 2nd gen iPads if they have what we're hoping they have.
post #82 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatunike View Post

Can the RAM be upgraded? needs 4GB atleast. Willing to pay.

Yep, 4GB RAM is a build to order option thankfully
post #83 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Wow! I can't believe you still use the 12.1" aluminum powerbook! Thats freakin awesome! That was far and away my favorite mac, but I replaced it with a white 2006 macbook. So I thought I was strange using a 4 year old computer, but you are still all the way back to the PB12! This makes me happy.

I have a couple of 24" iMacs too of course, but I really couldn't part with the pbook, it's a computer classic, I would still buy it today just to marvel at it. And as you know you get attached to macs, i would have probably stuck with a macbook too like you did, it's hard to replace them after spending so much time with them, these machines elicit an emotional response as any thing that is well made should.

Ps. Yes to me too it is by far and away the best Mac they built, these new airs included.
post #84 of 356
The battery life is a bit low for my needs but the deal breaker for me is the lack of 3G. even if it was a proprietary mini-PCIe card that Apple had to install, Id be all over that 13.3 MBA.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #85 of 356
Why does everyone here attack anyone that doesn't like something Apple is bringing out? I don't like this air and I think Steve Jobs talks too much -- by talking as much trash as he does he eventually looks like a hypocrite.

I want an updated MacBook Pro. Even if it's just a speed bump.
post #86 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The battery life is a bit low for my needs but the deal breaker for me is the lack of 3G. even if it was a proprietary mini-PCIe card that Apple had to install, Id be all over that 13.3 MBA.

You are joking about the battery life, right?
post #87 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Penryn 3M ULV 45nm 3MB cache

Penryn 45nm 6MB cache

hmm ... interesting. SU and SL lines of the Core 2 Duo? if this is true, then it's not too bad of a choice in the MacBook Air 2010 refresh although i'm sure we'll see ULV i3 or i5 in the next refresh.
post #88 of 356
I have been in love with my SONY VAIO Z for months, but now I'll have an APPLE with about the same specs and much better software for about $700 less!
post #89 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

The "SSD" on these things is actually integrated into the motherboard.

So that means in 6-9 months when the new fabs, for the die shrink on flash chips, are in full production, and you get twice the SSD storage for the same price you are paying today, you can't upgrade this machine. It is another case of Apple being more concerned about making something thinner without regard to the practical disadvantages that result.

They look great but I can't see buying one with such limited upgrade options for storage down the road.

-kpluck

i've supported people that have bought PC laptop subnetbooks since the 1990's. upgrade options are the last thing on their mind
post #90 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickmyface View Post

Wow! I can't believe you still use the 12.1" aluminum powerbook! Thats freakin awesome! That was far and away my favorite mac, but I replaced it with a white 2006 macbook. So I thought I was strange using a 4 year old computer, but you are still all the way back to the PB12! This makes me happy.

here's another 12"powerbook (°06/2005) speaking to you.

The new Air looks very sculpted without the optical drive. I hope the Macbook Pros will follow suit. A Lion powered redesigned 15" Macbook Pro sounds like heaven to me.
post #91 of 356
Quote:

the cell companies are starting to release those mini-wireless 3G/4G wireless hubs that I think will solve the lack of 3G problem. For example if you go on a trip people in the car can connect the iphone, ipads and now macbook air or any airport machine for that matter. Not quite affordable, but getting there fast.
post #92 of 356
post #93 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post

So the Title says Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air

Its really not Instant on. only if you have it in standby mode (like allot of other laptops). From apples web site:

Flash allows you to access data quickly, and it gives MacBook Air the astonishing ability to remain in standby mode for up to 30 days.1 Which means your MacBook Air snaps to in an instant, whether you open it tomorrow, next week, or next month.

So if you have the Mac Air off, it still needs to boot up, i wonder how long it takes.

I can't speak for Apple, but I recent built an i7-based PC with a flash drive running XP. After POST, it took 5 seconds to boot XP. That was quite impressive. I would imagine (because OS X is a bit cleaner than XP) that the boot time is even less.
post #94 of 356
Quote:

What's the problem?
post #95 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

hmm ... interesting. SU and SL lines of the Core 2 Duo? if this is true, then it's not too bad of a choice in the MacBook Air 2010 refresh although i'm sure we'll see ULV i3 or i5 in the next refresh.

Whenever new products come out, I end up referring to pages like this for quick, clear info. Believe it takes most of it's info from Intel's ark site. Corresponding pages for all the i-series processors too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ge.2C_45_nm.29
post #96 of 356
What was it? Hold it... Exactly! PowerBook G4, which is now peacefully sleeping on the shelf in my little Apple museum, had remarkable --- amazing --- ``instant-on capabilities' ', I remember...

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #97 of 356
I WANT ONE !!!!!!!

I am ordering the 13.3, 2.12Mhz, 256GB, 4GB today....!!!!
post #98 of 356
What???
All these posts and no one has yet complained about glossy screens? Did I miss some posts or something?
post #99 of 356
Quote:

There are so many different networks they would have to be compatible with worldwide, it is better IMO, not to be tied to a particular carrier. Instead just buy the MiFi or what ever USB adapter you need. I know they are a bit bulky, but at least with the new squared off design of the Air the USB will fit instead of having to also use an extension cable.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #100 of 356
Is there any possibility that between the flash storage and the improvements to app memory that come with 10.7 with that autosave/autoresume feature will make 2 gb ram plenty for a ultra-portable? It seems like the difference between access speed from ram to hard drive would be minimal enough to make this not a dealbreaking bottleneck, or is my head in the clouds?
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
post #101 of 356
Quote:

So that means in 6-9 months when the new fabs, for the die shrink on flash chips, are in full production, and you get twice the SSD storage for the same price you are paying today, you can't upgrade this machine. It is another case of Apple being more concerned about making something thinner without regard to the practical disadvantages that result.

They look great but I can't see buying one with such limited upgrade options for storage down the road.

-kpluck

Last time I checked, it has a usb port you can plug an external hard drive into, who keeps all their media on the computers main drive anywho? I know I dont, I have a time capsule.
post #102 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

What???
All these posts and no one has yet complained about glossy screens? Did I miss some posts or something?

The glossy without glass is fine, the problem most of us who want matte is with the glass on top of the already glossy screen.
post #103 of 356
Quote:

Its really not Instant on. only if you have it in standby mode (like allot of other laptops). From apples web site:

Flash allows you to access data quickly, and it gives MacBook Air the astonishing ability to remain in standby mode for up to 30 days.1 Which means your MacBook Air snaps to in an instant, whether you open it tomorrow, next week, or next month.

So if you have the Mac Air off, it still needs to boot up, i wonder how long it takes.

Well my mini hackintosh with a similar, albeit smaller, hdd boots Leopard in 25 seconds .
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #104 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Last time I checked, it has a usb port you can plug an external hard drive into, who keeps all their media on the computers main drive anywho? I know I dont, I have a time capsule.

I hope you have another hard drive connected to that time capsule for backup?
post #105 of 356
Quote:

-kpluck

Yeah, they should be more upgradable like a MacPro, but small and instant on like an iPhone.
I wonder why they din't make them like that!
post #106 of 356
I was about to be all over that 11", but no SD card slot... I wonder why (obviously size) they would concede that? Looks like I'll have to consider the 13".
post #107 of 356
Seriously, with this Air, I'd pay for the 100GB upgrade for DropBox.

I actually don't want the Air for myself, having a MBP. But it's going to be great for my wife. And she doesn't need the storage at all. Let me just pay off the iMac first and it's hers. Then we can finally be an all Mac family.
post #108 of 356
There must be something to this that we haven't seen. If you look at the product photos, you'll notice there is no "Power Button" that typically shows up on the upper right of the keyboard. So there must be some way to restart the device, much like the iPhone/Pad/Touch's power button.
Edit: my best guess would bet that you have to restart it from the OS, not a physical button.
Quote:

post #109 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Whenever new products come out, I end up referring to pages like this for quick, clear info ...

i had assumed incorrectly, then, that you ran system_profiler against a new MacBook Air to get the information. once someone actually does a closer inspection of the notebook we'll know for certain (although using a processor from the SU or SL line is one likely possibility).
post #110 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post

OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick

It's called the App Store. Coming to the Mac in 90 days.
post #111 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i had assumed incorrectly, then, that you ran system_profiler against a new MacBook Air to get the information. once someone actually does a closer inspection of the notebook we'll know for certain (although using a processor from the SU or SL line is one likely possibility).

Well unless they're buying a custom chip from Intel, you can look at L2 cache and processor speed and typically figure out exactly which processor is being talked about. FSB tends to be a tie-breaker in some cases Also no, I'm not at the Apple event, I live in Kentucky and I'm at work heh. The new MBA is showing a 1-2 biz day ship time tho, so normal joes like me would be able to look at it by this time next week. I'm sure some hands on reviews will appear very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

It's called the App Store. Coming to the Mac in 90 days.

Not to mention external USB drives and/or the MBA's ability to access other computer disc drives. Plus Dropbox and other cloud-based storage methods. Lots of options.
post #112 of 356
Quote:

-kpluck

Don't take this the wrong way but...Your comment is just another case of a nerd who is transferring his/her quirky desires onto a decision making process that was clearly not targeted toward his/her niche. Apple clearly designed these machines for people who ARE MORE CONCERNED with thinness and battery life than memory capacity. That is an equally valid market to address especially considering that said market was being addressed by Apple's oldest product design.

I feel it was a very savvy design decision. There are plenty of choices available if you want an upgradeable laptop. And if you are really a power user, the MacPro cannot be touched!

This is a machine you need to keep clean. Move work off of it as you complete it. I do this all the time on my MB13. It has a small drive. I might bring a big Lightroom project on a plane ride to work on but as soon as I'm back home I copy all the data back to my giant 27" iMac for long-term storage.

nothing to see here

nothing to see here

post #113 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Yeah, well, what's wrong with sexiness and elegance? Do you have a problem with sex, go on, tell us, everyone has had some sort of problem with sex in their lives. Maybe if you speak about it you can start buying powerful and beautiful laptops instead of garbage, and you might solve your sex problem too.

Oh couldn't agree more with you!!!! As you know, all other laptops are "garbage" except Apple's!!! I bet you feel special buying products with Apple logos, don't you????

That should be Apple's new advertising line for the Air.

"The MacBook Air, 2 Gig of Ram, a 3 year old processor, an 11" screen and prices start at $1000. What a Steal!! And if you don't agree, you have a sexual problem.."

Thanks again for your wonderful and well thought out post. Obviously you're going to grow up and make a fine adult someday!

Hey, in other news, are you going to take your sexy and elegant Macbook Air to the Star Trek convention this year??? Please do, and please wear your Mr. Spock ears again!!!!
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #114 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

well, netbook is ultraportable, too (and screen size is within what netbook has). new macbook air is category in netbook according to definition. it got very lower power chipset. it's definitely apple brand netbook. don't be ridiculous.

It's much bigger than a netbook. Even the 11" one is much bigger than a netbook.
post #115 of 356
Has Apple ever made a "base model" that people regretted buying without upgrading the processor or hard drive? It seems like they want users to be happy with the base model so presumably the upgrades are really for the power user or the people with extra cash in their pockets. I think the base MBA will be just fine and will last as long as you need it too, i.e., until the net model comes out. If you trick it all out you wind up investing quite a bit into a computer that you'll probably replace before it becomes obsolete in any event.
post #116 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck View Post

OK so no optical drive. How do you/I install new programs? I missed the presentation so I guess I have to wait.

Rick

This quote from Apple:

DVD or CD Sharing
"Without a built-in optical drive, how do you install new applications? Simply use DVD or CD Sharing. This convenient feature of Mac OS X lets you wirelessly borrow the optical drive of a nearby Mac or PC. So you can install applications from a DVD or CD and have full access to an optical drive without having to carry one around."
post #117 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Today is "No Moving Parts", tomorrow is "Liquid Metal"... Can you connect the dots?

Apple is going to send a MacBook Air back in time to murder Jason Chen?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #118 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Apple is going to send a MacBook Air back in time to murder Jason Chen?

It is only a matter of time before one of these things is used to kill somebody.
post #119 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

jobs looks and sounds bored and tired.

Maybe because when he gets "passionate and excited" people complain that he is whining!
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
post #120 of 356
Very cool laptops, but I'm thinking they valued a little bit too much form over function. I'd be perfectly happy to have the Air taper to .22 inches instead of .11 to accommodate larger batteries and a faster CPU.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple unveils new, instant-on MacBook Air: 'MacBook meets iPad'