or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple to sell iLife, iWork apps individually via Mac App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple to sell iLife, iWork apps individually via Mac App Store

post #1 of 71
Thread Starter 
Promotional screenshots of the forthcoming Mac App Store show the digital storefront will offer individual sales of iWork applications for $19.99, and software from the iLife suite for $14.99 each.

On Apple's official page for the Mac App Store, the three newly updated iLife '11 applications -- iPhoto, GarageBand and iMovie -- are all shown available for purchase at a price of $14.99 each. Together, the three applications would cost about $45, or $4 less than the suggested price of $49 for iLife '11.

However, iLife '11 also ships with iWeb and iDVD. Though they remain part of the iLife bundle, those applications were not updated in the latest version of the software suite.

The Mac App Store also shows applications from Apple's productivity suite, iWork, available for purchase and download. The iWork applications -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- come in $5 higher than their iLife counterparts, costing $19.99 each.

The iWork pricing would be a discount from the boxed bundle, which Apple sells for $79. The 2009 bundle includes the same three applications: Keynote, Pages and Numbers.



Currently, applications found in iLife and iWork for the Mac cannot be purchased individually. All of the software can only be acquired by obtaining the respective bundle.

Apple first began selling iWork applications separately, however, on its mobile App Store for the iPad. The multi-touch versions of applications in the productivity suite sell for $9.99 each, and have remained among the top-selling iPad applications since Apple's tablet launched earlier this year.

The Mac App Store will be coming to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in the next three months, Apple announced on Wednesday. Like on the iOS App Store for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, developers will keep 70 percent of what they sell, while Apple will take a 30 percent cut.
post #2 of 71
They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.
post #3 of 71
Cool, because I'd hate to have to pay for the current version of Numbers just to get an update to Keynote.

Just sayin'.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #4 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.

Updates are free! Upgrades you pay. It's like this in whole the industry, Apple is no different.
post #5 of 71
Cool. Pages and iMovie, here I come.
post #6 of 71
KEYNOTE>>>>>>> is da bomb

Damn Steve is still holding out on us... I definitely see some transitions and effects in his recent presentations not yet in the latest version of Keynote.
post #7 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.

Well, Apple's habit is they wanna see some profit tied to their R&D.

Personally, I think people should pay for it so they appreciate it more. Muah ha ha ha ha ha
post #8 of 71
So let me see if I understand this.

Only three components of iLife '09 have been upgraded, but I can still buy the whole set (five components) on a DVD (in my case as a Family Pack) as iLife '11.

iWork on the other hand has not been upgraded but the three individual components of iWork '09 will be available in the app store. These will eventually be upgraded as well, but since they are now separate components in the app store, Apple is not required to simultaneously upgrade all at the same time as they would have to for a new DVD. OK, I think I got it.
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

KEYNOTE>>>>>>> is da bomb

Damn Steve is still holding out on us... I definitely see some transitions and effects in his recent presentations not yet in the latest version of Keynote.

I've not seen the last couple of keynotes so I'm not sure which transitions you're referring to, but it's not uncommon for people to enhance their presentations with effects generated outside of Keynote. You're right, it's the schiznit and utterly blows PowerPoint away (I recently had to collaborate with some colleagues and was forced to recreate my Keynote presentation in PowerPoint. I related the experience to tying my hands behind my back being forced to type with my nose), but even as easy as Apple has made transitions, Keynote still is nowhere near as flexible as the enhancements you can generate inside of Motion or Final Cut.
post #10 of 71
This is obviously Apple's plan to stem piracy of their apps. Since they removed the serials on retail packages of iWork last year, people have been filesharing it like crazy. Now, with Lion and the Mac App Store, you won't be able to just download a copy and install it since it's not authorized for your computer. Won't be long before the same thing happens with the OS itself, although I'm sure somebody will quickly hack it. Jailbreak for Lion, anyone?
post #11 of 71
Maybe this will be the prices for Pages11, Keynote11 and Numbers11 with a complete iWork11 coming in at $54.99. Presumably iWork11 will be released sometime before the Mac App Store opens.
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

This is obviously Apple's plan to stem piracy of their apps. Since they removed the serials on retail packages of iWork last year, people have been filesharing it like crazy. Now, with Lion and the Mac App Store, you won't be able to just download a copy and install it since it's not authorized for your computer. Won't be long before the same thing happens with the OS itself, although I'm sure somebody will quickly hack it. Jailbreak for Lion, anyone?

I think the best thing Apple's done to stem piracy has been to price their apps reasonably. With my corporate discount (most people who work for a larger company has access to discounts through Apple), iWork cost me $65. Even if I didn't prefer it wholeheartedly to Office, I'd still spend the full $79 price over $200 for Microsoft's version. I think if Apple doubled the cost of the software, a lot more people would pirate it. But with what they're charging, I think it's a bargain and well worth the cost.

Even the prosumer apps like Final Cut Express, Logic Express, and Aperture are all running $199 and well worth the price for what you get.

If you're right though (although I suspect piracy is simply a net benefit and not a primary goal of the App Store), Apple's scheme also gives us a great advantage. Typically software is sold on a per-seat license. The App Store ties a license to a user account, and theoretically I should be able to install my iWork software on all of my systems.

The obvious drawback however is for families. Does that mean that my copy of iWork will not be usable by my children? Will I have to pay $20 so that he can use Pages even though I've already got a copy? I hope there's an answer for this shortcoming...
post #13 of 71
Hooray for separete downloads and prices!
Hoorary for app authorization through iTunes (5 machines is great).
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

This is obviously Apple's plan to stem piracy of their apps. Since they removed the serials on retail packages of iWork last year, people have been filesharing it like crazy. Now, with Lion and the Mac App Store, you won't be able to just download a copy and install it since it's not authorized for your computer. Won't be long before the same thing happens with the OS itself, although I'm sure somebody will quickly hack it. Jailbreak for Lion, anyone?

Interestingly, how will Apple recognise a pirated iWork 09 and you reinstalling it from a DMG? But yeah eventually pirates, jailbreaking and Cydia and repos for Macs will emerge. Hackers are probably watching very, very closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I've not seen the last couple of keynotes so I'm not sure which transitions you're referring to, but it's not uncommon for people to enhance their presentations with effects generated outside of Keynote. You're right, it's the schiznit and utterly blows PowerPoint away (I recently had to collaborate with some colleagues and was forced to recreate my Keynote presentation in PowerPoint. I related the experience to tying my hands behind my back being forced to type with my nose), but even as easy as Apple has made transitions, Keynote still is nowhere near as flexible as the enhancements you can generate inside of Motion or Final Cut.

I am reasonably familiar with Keynote, Steve always runs his own build of Keynote which has additional effects and transition. I don't think they go out of Keynote to generate effects, it's in-Keynote animations etc, and they just switch to video clips and ads as needed. That's cool that you're using even more motion graphics, of course that's the go to solution when you need more out of Keynote. That said, PowerPoint must have been absolutely hideous for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

So let me see if I understand this.

Only three components of iLife '09 have been upgraded, but I can still buy the whole set (five components) on a DVD (in my case as a Family Pack) as iLife '11.

iWork on the other hand has not been upgraded but the three individual components of iWork '09 will be available in the app store. These will eventually be upgraded as well, but since they are now separate components in the app store, Apple is not required to simultaneously upgrade all at the same time as they would have to for a new DVD. OK, I think I got it.

Yup, that's about it.
post #15 of 71
At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?
post #16 of 71
Also better for the environment, less plastic and packaging. Retailers (bricks and clicks) must be SH*TTING themselves though. They are the middleman and they are about to be cut right out of the deal. Not that the margin is fantastic anyways, but the direction is really going to digital downloads now. No developer would not want to be on the Mac App Store, unless they object seriously to Apple's cut, which many will do but will eventually cave in.

I can see developers offering cheaper pricing if you buy direct from their website... Best of both worlds for them.
post #17 of 71
I like the idea of a la carte.....I personally do not use Garageband so I will only upgrade the other two and only spend $30. I think Apple did a great job pricing this product. It gives us, the consumers, many different options to upgrade. Most companies wouldn't do this!
post #18 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

This is obviously Apple's plan to stem piracy of their apps. Since they removed the serials on retail packages of iWork last year, people have been filesharing it like crazy.

Given that Apple has never done any serial number verification for iWork in the past, I can guarantee you that people have been pirating iWork with great ease - they distribute (or provide a link to the demo) and give you a serial number. This happens hours after it's release. Every single time.
post #19 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F. View Post

Updates are free! Upgrades you pay. It's like this in whole the industry, Apple is no different.

Whole industry? Really? The WHOLE industry? I use ChronoSync on my Mac, it's great. Upgrades for life are free. I have Windows Live Essentials on my wife's laptop....Windows Live Essentials 2011 just came out....FREE.

Just saying....you must not know the whole industry....
post #20 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.

Interestingly, that's the App Store for iOS. I've been getting free upgrades on some apps for about 2 years now.

But your point of course makes sense. It will be intriguing to see this play out. I for one think Parallels charges for updates a bit too enthusiastically. But I'm no developer.
post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?

You are correct.
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.

Actually this is a very interesting question. When you buy an app through the App Store all updates are free. If you want to sell an update to an existing user you have to submit a new app and then delete the old app off the store. Developers generally don't do this because it pisses off customers. Apple has never done this either.

So how will apple handle all this with iLife when it is put on the store. Will apple have two tier pricing? One lower price for an update ... and a higher price for the first time purchase? It will be interesting to see if there will be a new update price option on the mac app store.
post #24 of 71
It's about freakin' time. Though I still have no use for any of them. I toyed with iMovie for a while...when it was free.
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Actually this is a very interesting question. When you buy an app through the App Store all updates are free. If you want to sell an update to an existing user you have to submit a new app and then delete the old app off the store. Developers generally don't do this because it pisses off customers. Apple has never done this either.

So how will apple handle all this with iLife when it is put on the store. Will apple have two tier pricing? One lower price for an update ... and a higher price for the first time purchase? It will be interesting to see if there will be a new update price option on the mac app store.

Yes it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. One thing I'd say to the folks feeling it should be free is at these prices they virtually are!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #26 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?

That's how I assume it will be. The family pack becomes the default. It makes you wonder if Pro Apps will ever be on the store and if so will they also be allowed on five machines? Their size may be an issue (FCPro Studio for example) but there could be options for shipped or downloaded as many companies already do. Manuals are PDFs these days so that's not a problem.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Also better for the environment, less plastic and packaging. Retailers (bricks and clicks) must be SH*TTING themselves though. They are the middleman and they are about to be cut right out of the deal. Not that the margin is fantastic anyways, but the direction is really going to digital downloads now. No developer would not want to be on the Mac App Store, unless they object seriously to Apple's cut, which many will do but will eventually cave in.

I can see developers offering cheaper pricing if you buy direct from their website... Best of both worlds for them.

I concur. The only negative some will feel maybe the perceived price drops that are inevitable to their industry. However, if you factor in free exposure, free web site for delivery plus financial transactions taken care of. Then no manuals to print and no packaging! The prices should obviously fall considerably. Add in an increased sales opportunity and it all leads me to think few will be opting out even if they balk at first. I bet most are salivating. I would have been all over this back when I was CEO of a Mac software company in the 1990s. Of those that are vocally against this I wonder how many have run a software company?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That's how I assume it will be. The family pack becomes the default. It makes you wonder if Pro Apps will ever be on the store and if so will they also be allowed on five machines? Their size may be an issue (FCPro Studio for example) but there could be options for shipped or downloaded as many companies already do. Manuals are PDFs these days so that's not a problem.

It took me 5 hours to install a FCP Studio 4 using 6 DVD's. Don't think that will download on the mac anytime soon.
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

It took me 5 hours to install a FCP Studio 4 using 6 DVD's. Don't think that will download on the mac anytime soon.

Agreed it is a pain (I did it a bit faster than that though I think ... but then again maybe not, I was doing other things) but remember 90% of that (or more) was media not the apps. So updates at least could be. I only have 25/25 Mbs but I work from home, many pro studios have way faster.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

KEYNOTE>>>>>>> is da bomb

Damn Steve is still holding out on us... I definitely see some transitions and effects in his recent presentations not yet in the latest version of Keynote.

Can you please elaborate, because so far I've found everything that people claim arn't in '09
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Interestingly, how will Apple recognise a pirated iWork 09 and you reinstalling it from a DMG? But yeah eventually pirates, jailbreaking and Cydia and repos for Macs will emerge. Hackers are probably watching very, very closely.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the next version of iWork, as well as all other Apple software, which will almost certainly be available only on the Mac store, with no retail packages.
post #32 of 71
And why do you feel that you deserve something for free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

They should be free and just update through the Apple Software Update. How many billions in sales does the Mac do? It is nice you get it free with a new Mac, but it should just be free for upgrades too.
post #33 of 71
The current update didn't sound too exciting, but I never purchased the last upgrade and would like to get Faces and Places. I couldn't see paying $50 for the entire suite since I never use Garage Band and only have used iMovie a couple of times.
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I'm sorry, what? Do the developers of iLife work for free? Do their banks not insist on mortgage payments every month? Do the grocery stores in Cupertino not charge for food?

Do you work for free at your job?

I'm afraid I don't understand why you believe if you buy something from someone once, that they're bound to keep working to improve what you bought for free.

Seriously, you think Apple can't afford to pay the developers? You think the profit from this software makes or breaks their bottom line? This is chump change for Apple. Do they charge for iTunes?
post #35 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

And why do you feel that you deserve something for free?

I paid $1800 for a laptop....pretty sure I'm not asking for anything for free.
post #36 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

I paid $1800 for a laptop....pretty sure I'm not asking for anything for free.

Great Answer!
post #37 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by OskiO View Post

I paid $1800 for a laptop....pretty sure I'm not asking for anything for free.

If you buy a Sony laptop for $1800, do they give you any productivity or lifestyle applications for free (with free updates and upgrades) or do you just get shovelware?

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #38 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

At one point in the presentation yesterday, I thought SJ mentioned that an app that is downloaded on one Mac can be used on all of one's home/personal Macs. In other words, I assume, the app by app download is now priced more like a 'family' app.

Anyone else catch that, or am I misinterpreting things?

Well apps you download from the App Store can be used by all of iDevices authorized to use that account...figured it will be the same for the Mac store.
post #39 of 71
I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I want to make sure I am hearing most of you correctly. You will now have to pay for what once was free and you are happy about that....

Did I get that correct?

Nope. You got it completely wrong actually.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple to sell iLife, iWork apps individually via Mac App Store