or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Teardown of Apple's 11.6-in MacBook Air shows six internal batteries

Teardown of Apple's 11.6-in MacBook Air shows six internal batteries - Page 2

post #41 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

I will be upgrading from my 2006 17" MacBook Pro to the 13.3" MacBook Air. Though I'm puzzled why Apple opted to go with USB 2.0 instead of the faster USB 3.0. The latter of which is faster than firewire. I'm also confused why Apple opted to make FaceTime a separate app instead of including it in iChatAV. One app active is better than keeping both active.

The FaceTime service does run in the background, listening for incoming calls even when the app is closed. You DO have to manually launch it to initiate a call, but unlike I'M, at least you don't have to keep it open and broad sat that you are online.

Ultimately, it feels more like a module for something bigger that apple is testing. I fully expect that FaceTime will be fully integrated into programs like Mail and Address Book and iLife so you can initiate from any program and not just video chat, but share content as well much like you currently do with iChat.

My understanding is that iChat video uses either Bonjour or AOL's relay servers depending on where on the network or Internet your party is, but FaceTime looks to be a protocol of its own; maybe it's Apple's way of bringing more functionality under its own roof as opposed to relying on a 3rd party (like AIM relay servers).
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In its teardown, the solutions provider found that the onboard 64GB of flash storage easily disconnects from the logic board, but the part is completely custom, meaning an off-the shelf part cannot be used to replace it.

Ya'no... Exterior torx screws are completely custom, too. Still iFixit managed to break the thing.
In honesty, I predict the future of 30-pin connector accessories for this opportunity. ``Everyone can cook; not that everyone should' '.

Quote:

Inside, they found the six battery cells which "dominate" the space inside the thin-and-light machine.

Aren't they too many? Still, the approach is interesting. And I do love the direction in which Apple develops their appliances nowadays.

Quote:

The unique 64GB of onboard memory

Would appreciate AppleOutsider calling apples apples. Wish I had 64GB of memory in my desktops, though.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Teardown of Apple's 11.6-in MacBook Air shows six internal batteries