or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology

President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology

post #1 of 138
U.S. President Barack Obama and Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs are scheduled to meet Thursday to talk about economy and technology issues.

Update: The meeting took place Thursday afternoon. During the meeting, Jobs and Obama "discussed American competitiveness and education, especially reforms such as the President's Race to the Top initiative," a White House spokesperson said in a statement. The two also talked about "energy independence and ways to increase job creation," Reuters reports.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said earlier Thursday that Obama and Jobs would meet at a San Francisco Hotel for about 45 minutes, Bloomberg reports. Jobs, who has supported Democratic candidates and organizations before, last met with Obama in 2008 during the presidential campaign.

This is a meeting the president was interested in having, Gibbs said. Hes eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education.

According to the report, Obama is in the San Francisco Bay Area to help raise money for the Democratic National Committee. Google vice president Marissa Mayer and clean technology venture capitalist Steve Westly will each host a fundraiser at their homes Thursday. Tickets to the event at Mayer's house cost $30,000 a head, reports the San Francisco Chronicle. A Democratic Party official told Bloomberg that the DNC hopes to raise as much as $1.8 million from the two events.

Obama has embarked on a five-state trip to raise money for his fellow Democratic candidates. On Friday, he'll attend an event in Los Angeles for incumbent Senator Barbara Boxer, who is being challenged by former HP CEO and Republican Carly Fiorina.
post #2 of 138
Steve jobs for president 2012
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #3 of 138
How about they find a mutually agreeable way to get a bit more tax revenue from Google?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...loopholes.html
post #4 of 138
I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."
post #5 of 138
Cool. Two amazing minds meet.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #6 of 138
Man oh man, would I love to be a fly on that wall.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #7 of 138
I hope SJ gives our President and iPhone and an iPad and offers to trash his BB
post #8 of 138
once they shake hands, Jobs is cursed. it will be the Obama death touch. Time to sell my stock.

Jobs will be dead in a year.
post #9 of 138
Barack, Barack...all this just to get a free MacBook Air!
post #10 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."

Oh give me a break.

Did it ever occur that he (Obama) might like some insight into why Apple is rocking when the rest of the economy stinks?

IMHO I think our President has discovered all too well that life in the White House is in a vacuum. One that absolutely stifles any new ideas and or imagination. Talking with Steve on how Apple takes great ideas and make them reality would be a much better use of their time together.
post #11 of 138
This is what happens when u announce $51B in cash is available around campaign time.
post #12 of 138
I bet Jobs will talk Obama into getting rid of his blackberry and replace it with an iPhone...
post #13 of 138
Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.
post #14 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

This is what happens when u announce $51B in cash is available around campaign time.

Ha! Good one...
post #15 of 138
This should be a most amusing thread.
post #16 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.

That would be awesome even if it were a pilot program. Too bad it would never fly with our multination-corporate-owned media who would rip it apart like crazy despite it being good for everyone.
post #17 of 138
Quote:

Don't fool yourself. This meeting is all about convincing Steve/Apple to give money to the Democrats.
Since our senile supreme court has opened the floodgate, Apple can give as much as it wants to special interest groups.
And they don't even have to report it.
post #18 of 138
Quote:

post #19 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This is a meeting the president was interested in having, Gibbs said. Hes eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education.

Shit, not education.

I'm a fan of both Obama and Jobs, but they both have the wrong take on how to "fix" education in America.

Neither of their answers will involve actually empowering the teachers... Jobs wants to go charter schools and Obama wants to extend Bush's NCLB.

Both of these are not going to solve anything.
post #20 of 138
1) Maybe we now know what Apple and Jobs are saving up all that money for: United States of Apple

2) I really wish my president wasn’t doing as many things that make it look like he’s just having a good time on the job. I don’t know if he is or isn’t, or how much he’s accomplished cleaning up the last tenant’s mess, but his appearances on The View and this just seem out of place with what he needs to present to the people. What’s next, Obama gets a cameo on the all new Hawaii 5.0?

3) I wonder when Obama will trade up his Canadian Blackberry for an American iPhone? If I were Jobs I’d be offering to put an iPhone in the hands of the President of the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy.

That’s like Head-and-Shoulders logic.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #21 of 138
Run, Steve, run. You've earned your money and lots of it. And that's not fair. Obama wants it. He's going to ask nicely before he attempts to tear it out of your hands. Just like the government is doing to the rest of us producers.
post #22 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I really wish my president wasnt doing as many things that make it look like hes just having a good time on the job. I dont know if he is or isnt, or how much hes accomplished cleaning up the last tenants mess, but his appearances on The View and this just seem out of place with what he needs to present to the people. Whats next, Obama gets a cameo on the all new Hawaii 5.0?

Dude, you do realize that he's had far fewer vacation days than GWBush?
Plus, I know you'd think meeting SJ would be considered a vacation, but this is work for the Pres.
post #23 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

That would be awesome even if it were a pilot program. Too bad it would never fly with our multination-corporate-owned media who would rip it apart like crazy despite it being good for everyone.

It will be a bold statement, we got the products, and we going to make them with our people - at least try to. It would be one-up on all the tech companies who only know how to outsource.

Imagine making 100 some millions of i-Products right here at home - Steve can run for the WH uncontested!!!
post #24 of 138
We desperately need balance between the White House and Congress.
post #25 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

once they shake hands, Jobs is cursed. it will be the Obama death touch. Time to sell my stock.

Wow. That is perhaps one of the weirdest posts ever that I can recall on AI.

Are you suggesting Obama is some sort of voodoo president!?
post #26 of 138
Insert generic political rant here: ____________
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #27 of 138
So The One will visit The Man. One massive ego meets another. What, he wants Apple to come up with some sort of iHope&Change? November 2012 can't get here soon enough!
post #28 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapChus View Post

Barack, Barack...all this just to get a free MacBook Air!

HAHAHHHAHAHAHAH
LMAO! Thnx for the laugh!
post #29 of 138
insult removed
post #30 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. That is perhaps one of the weirdest posts ever that I can recall on AI.

Are you suggesting Obama is some sort of voodoo president!?

Actually it was his own campaign that tried to convince us of that.
Always doubted that O had any "collectivist" witchcraft or "hope/change" magic.

More likely its Steve asking "Don't tax me bro!"
Perhaps Steve will ask him to resign, or at the very least go 180 degrees of his economic policies?
post #31 of 138
I hope Jobs makes a full recovery.
post #32 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Yeah, Obama's death touch killed the economy. It's not like 30 years of shipping all our jobs overseas, lowering taxes to near zero for the ultra-wealthy, and waging multiple-trillion dollar wars and financing them with Chinese money had anything whatsoever to do with it.
post #33 of 138
Quote:

lol never thought of that, but that's probably why.
post #34 of 138
Best news when two great minds meet. I just hope Jobs' gift of iPhone 4 to Obama will finally make the President convert to Apple.
post #35 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

Dude, you do realize that he's had far fewer vacation days than GWBush?
Plus, I know you'd think meeting SJ would be considered a vacation, but this is work for the Pres.

Then you must apply the same standards. You're quoting spun news sources. That's what only going only 2 or 3 Google news results deep gets ya.

If staying at the White House and playing golf all day is not considered a vacation day for Obama, then Bush working/having meetings at Camp David or his Ranch should not be considered vacation days for him. If you count the 'trips' then you can achieve a fewer tally for Obama, but if you count the scheduled activities that's not the case, O's been off the clock a lot more.

Also it should be pointed out that shortly after a crisis, Bush gave up golfing for the remainder of his Presidency, because it set a bad tone for the President to be wasting time while there where major problems. Whether you like the guy or not, Obama would do far better to follow the same work ethic - heck any example of genuine self-sacrifice would be really nice to see from O.
post #36 of 138
I hope Steve Jobs shakes Obama's hand and then politely reminds him that although he himself is a democrat, his business was started and thrived because of capitalism.

Although I'm sure Obama has some 'spread the wealth' ideas regarding Apple's 51B in cash.
post #37 of 138
So from now on every model of Government Motors will be made in China
post #38 of 138
Obligatory: Well, everyone has been saying the president should focus more on "Jobs"...

<groan>
post #39 of 138
Quote:

Can you blame him? Now that corporations can give unlimited amounts of money to any candidate of their choice?
post #40 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hope Steve Jobs shakes Obama's hand and then politely reminds him that although he himself is a democrat, his business was started and thrived because of capitalism.

Although I'm sure Obama has some 'spread the wealth' ideas regarding Apple's 51B in cash.

Right, it's not those OTHER guys who want to give all the power to corporations to lobby for useless regulation that stifles competition and undermines capitalism or anything... It's all that crazy far left liberal Obama!

Oh wait, you're completely talking straight out of your ass! Good little sheep.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology