or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology

President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology - Page 3

post #81 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

That's because Steve doesn't have to worry about pissing people off, and he doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, or elected in general.

Not to mention he's an f'in genius.
post #82 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."

Jobs drives a vastly superior Merc SL55
post #83 of 138
I would like to see Apple continue to diversify for long term growth.

In my opinion, it's remarkable that the company acquired the expertise and ability to produce the iPhone.

Clearly the iPhone has created a large and profitable market for the company.

Al Gore sits on Apple's Board, would it be possible that Apple could further diversify and create another market for itself in the field of energy production similar to Bloom Energy?

UPDATE !

Yesterday, October 21, 2010, Steve Jobs met with President Obama. One of the topics they discussed was energy independence. In a previous interview with Walt Mossberg, Steve had mentioned that he was interested in alternative energy.

If Apple could acquire the expertise and ability to produce a device, a fuel cell the size of say a microwave oven, that would power your house, imagine the market. Imagine the value of a share of Apple stock!

I remember a few years ago reading that General Motors was working on such a device and they expected it to come to market within 3 to 5 years. It didn't.

Today, Apple is the company that could make that big move. Apple is the company that could succeed where others have failed. Apple would be the most important company in the universe and Steve Jobs' legacy would be unparalleled. At this point it's about legacy.

This is a copy of an earlier post of mine - think big people
post #84 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hope Steve Jobs shakes Obama's hand and then politely reminds him that although he himself is a democrat, his business was started and thrived because of capitalism.

Although I'm sure Obama has some 'spread the wealth' ideas regarding Apple's 51B in cash.

Such incredible arrogance that after what Bush did to the economy that Clinton gave him, republicans are still convinced that they are the ones who understand capitalism. Republicans worship capitalism but have no understanding of it.
post #85 of 138
Education....definitely a problem. The US spends twice as much as we did 30 years ago...and like health insurance we get worse results.

1 in 52 US doctors get fired.

1 in 97 US lawyers get fired, but,

1-2,500 US Teachers get fired?

2,000 high schools are described as "Drop-out Factories," where 1,000 freshman enroll and only 300 make it to sophomore year. If you remove the impoverished children from the mix, the test scores are somewhat similar to other industrial countries.

The top three problems are poverty, the Teacher's Union (which is more concerned about the adults in the system than the children) and, lastly, lack of parenting.

The Good News is, out of the top 20 universities, 18 are in the US. Out of the top 50, 32 are in the US. More Nobel Peace prizes come from the US than anywhere else.

Best
post #86 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerge3d View Post

Jobs drives a vastly superior Merc SL55

Yep, Aston Martins are "garage art!"

Best

PS. I think it's Ives that drives the Aston...I may be wrong on this though.
post #87 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

If this is your attempt at humor or political philosophy it fails on both counts.

I frankly have never read anything like this on any tech blog.

Tasteless and crude.

Agreed! Most unfortunate.
post #88 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Steve jobs for president 2012

Nah !!!! Obama forApple president 2013
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #89 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

once they shake hands, jobs is cursed. It will be the obama death touch. Time to sell my stock.

Jobs will be dead in a year.

my god
you are a real crass tasteless jerk
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #90 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Don't fool yourself. This meeting is all about convincing Steve/Apple to give money to the Democrats.
Since our senile supreme court has opened the floodgate, Apple can give as much as it wants to special interest groups.
And they don't even have to report it.

Steve doesn't need convincing—he's been supporting Democrats basically forever.

I find it funny how people always call those with opposing views/platforms "special interest groups"—like it's an epithet. Liberals call pro-business/anti-gay/anti-abortion lobbies "special interest groups" and conservatives call pro-choice/pro-union/pro-environment lobbies "special interest groups". Stupid politics.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #91 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

His economic policies are tax cuts for small business and the middle class. The opposite of that is exactly what republicans want: Tax cuts for big business (as well as pretty much full control of the pig's votes) and tax cuts for rich.

Oh but wait, the trickle down effect will help us all! It's all those RICH people that create the jobs!

The comments here are worse than the shit I read on youtube, and there are plenty of imbeciles there.

<LIBERAL RANT> The "trickle down effect" is the rich pissing on the poor. </LIBERAL RANT>
post #92 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Obamas just looking for money for the Democats. His meetings etc. are all for show and publicity.
For those that aren't convinced of Obamas intentions just look at how the U.S.A. is looked upon by other countries.

Actually, almost the entire world breathed a collective sigh of relief when Obama won the election.
post #93 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

It's just too bad that Obama took his vacation days while the USA was in the middle of the single most devastating environmental man-made catastrophe in the worlds history.

Your point?

<LIBERAL RANT>
This "single most devastating environmental man-mad catastrophe in the world's history" to which you refer, happened as a consequence of 8 years of massive deregulation motivated by corporate greed, with the collusion of the previous administration.
</LIBERAL RANT>
post #94 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think you are referring to political advertising, not to campaign contributions.

Please go read what's happening http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us.../22scotus.html

It's amazing how willfully ignorant people are about what's happening to our country.
post #95 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What's with all the Obama hate??

You're seeing the power of neocon propaganda.

Some people just can't think for themselves. It's really sad. These people can easily be spotted when they drool at the mouth whenever you say the words "Fair and Balanced." Like Pavlov's dog.
post #96 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Education....definitely a problem. The US spends twice as much as we did 30 years ago...and like health insurance we get worse results.

1 in 52 US doctors get fired.

1 in 97 US lawyers get fired, but,

1-2,500 US Teachers get fired?

2,000 high schools are described as "Drop-out Factories," where 1,000 freshman enroll and only 300 make it to sophomore year. If you remove the impoverished children from the mix, the test scores are somewhat similar to other industrial countries.

The top three problems are poverty, the Teacher's Union (which is more concerned about the adults in the system than the children) and, lastly, lack of parenting.

The Good News is, out of the top 20 universities, 18 are in the US. Out of the top 50, 32 are in the US. More Nobel Peace prizes come from the US than anywhere else.

Best

You have to take inflation into account, but yes, we ARE spending more and seemingly getting less. The DOE has set the proficiency level too high for all the dumbed down American children, which is why you see lower test scores.

The flip-side to that is the children who make it through are getting an education that let's them at least COMPETE with the rest of the world.

See, it's not a matter of us doing it wrong per say, it's a matter of our children being just too damn dumb. Also, teacher unions EXPECT the entitlements they receive, even if they don't do a very good job.

The system is a little screwed up and the teacher unions aren't helping. You know they wouldn't even take a 1% pay cut in NJ to help with the budget?
post #97 of 138
Quote:

You know they wouldn't even take a 1% pay cut in NJ to help with the budget?

Primary and secondary ed teachers get paid crap salaries to begin with, so it's not surprising that they would be opposed to a pay cut.
If you make $1,000,000 a year, losing $10,000 stings a bit, but is survivable. If you make $30,000 a year, losing $300 hurts a lot more.
post #98 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I can understand the 'technology' thing, but I find it amusing that Obama wants to talk about the economy with the CEO of one of the few companies that's actually doing spectacularly in this economy. Jobs will likely say, "Economy? I didn't realize there was a problem with the economy. Our company is doing awesome! Oh, and let me show you my new Aston Martin out in the parking lot...."

I guess you missed the whole point

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #99 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.

Nice point!

TechnoMinds

TechnoMinds

post #100 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Don't fool yourself. This meeting is all about convincing Steve/Apple to give money to the Democrats.
Since our senile supreme court has opened the floodgate, Apple can give as much as it wants to special interest groups.
And they don't even have to report it.

Sadly, you may be right

TechnoMinds

TechnoMinds

post #101 of 138
Quote:

ahem... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3p9y_OEAdc

As far as Obama taking more vacation than Bush, please stop, you're embarrassing yourself. A vacation day is a vacation day, and comparing Obama to Bush in this regard is ridiculous. 1020 days. That's how many days Bush took. About a third of his presidency.

Really, the things you people forget. It's amazing.

It REALLY IS AMAZING things people forget...

The Obama's would make Mary Todd Lincoln proud! Sorry YouTube wasn't around back then to link to!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #102 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I guess you missed the whole point

Its like the Head and Shoulders commercials: But you dont have dandruff., "Exactly!

Maybe Obama should talk to Michael Dell about resolving economy issues.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #103 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1)
2) I really wish my president wasnt doing as many things that make it look like hes just having a good time on the job. I dont know if he is or isnt, or how much hes accomplished cleaning up the last tenants mess, but his appearances on The View and this just seem out of place with what he needs to present to the people. Whats next, Obama gets a cameo on the all new Hawaii 5.0?

I would rather see him on the View or meeting with Steve than on the golf course or taking his 100th vacation on the Ranch. It is a new world and this president gets it. He knows that to reach the people he needs to go where they are. The people are on their iphone or sitting at home during the day watching the View.

TechnoMinds

TechnoMinds

post #104 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

What's with all the Obama hate??

I dunno... I'm STILL trying to find the George "W" love!!!

You SAW the power of the liberal Progressive 'Goebbelslization" of the truth from the left and the media - oops, one and the same.

Some people need to be told what to think. It's really sad. These people can easily be spotted when they faint at the mouth of the big O whenever he say the words "Spread the Wealth" and "I do believe you can make too much money" (I haven't made all mine yet). Faint-Faint-Faint... Yes... Yes very much like Pavlov's dog. (see bipartisanship) Obama smoking... yet he wants to tell us how to run our lives! One termer, fer sure!

post #105 of 138
I really wonder what SJ wore to this meeting. was it his usual turtle neck/jeans uniform or was it a nice Armani suit?
Hope to see some pix surface at some point.
post #106 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Steve jobs for president 2012

Oh, Hell No.
post #107 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Cool. Two amazing minds meet.

I beg to differ.
post #108 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

We desperately need balance between the White House and Congress.

Agreed. The White House, Senate, and House of Representatives are currently all rules by the same one party. And yet they continue to blame the opposition when they can't get bills passed. Pathetic.
post #109 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. That is perhaps one of the weirdest posts ever that I can recall on AI.

Are you suggesting Obama is some sort of voodoo president!?

If he isn't, I am. Democrats running for re-election right now are actively avoiding President Obama. They don't want to be associated with the policies that he's enacted.
post #110 of 138
Quote:

His economic policies are tax cuts for small business and the middle class. The opposite of that is exactly what republicans want: Tax cuts for big business (as well as pretty much full control of the pig's votes) and tax cuts for rich.

Oh but wait, the trickle down effect will help us all! It's all those RICH people that create the jobs!

The comments here are worse than the shit I read on youtube, and there are plenty of imbeciles there.

And you're contributing here. Your comments also lack depth.
post #111 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

<LIBERAL RANT> The "trickle down effect" is the rich pissing on the poor. </LIBERAL RANT>

<CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE> The "trickle down effect" is the rich keeping the poor in jobs by buying the products they make. Thus creating/maintaining jobs .</CONSERVATIVE RESPONSE>
post #112 of 138
Am I the only one that thinks the entire country would be much better served if rather than giving money to political parties that ends up directly in the hands of ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC we should be giving that money to charities that, ya know, actually make a difference? What does your political giving get you? A TV ad to try to convince other people to think like you. What does giving to something like Habit for Humanity (insert your charity of choice here) get you? A home built for a person that doesn't have a home. It's embarrassing that some people would choose the former over the latter...

You really can't think of something better to do with over 5 BILLION dollars than push political views? Really? That's sad

(that's a proverbial "you" btw)
post #113 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno View Post

I would rather see him on the View or meeting with Steve than on the golf course or taking his 100th vacation on the Ranch. It is a new world and this president gets it. He knows that to reach the people he needs to go where they are. The people are on their iphone or sitting at home during the day watching the View.

If the people who are voting and deciding what course this country should take are sitting around watching the View I think we're more effed than anyone ever thought possible...
post #114 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

If theO O people who are voting and deciding what course this country should take are sitting around watching the View I think we're more effed than anyone ever thought possible...

Steve jobs has direct control over tens of thousands of jobs world wide if you include all the 3rd party fish who supply apple with goods and services .

SO President Obama talking to Steve Jobs about American workers is sorely needed considering 9 percent of American not working at all.

And Obama talked so much green and has done little While STEVE has saved countless lives by making Apple 80% green .

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #115 of 138
Just goes to show racism is alive and well in America today, this president has done way more for the middle class than Bush has ever done, yet the average citizen treats him like he is a nazi, even the tea party folks have cartoons of him as the devil himself, and these are people that probably make less than 30K per annum.

Keep hope alive though I guess.
post #116 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

Would like to see Apple bring some of the manufacturing jobs back to the States, with incentives from the States and Administration, of course. I have no probelm paying a few dollars more for Apple porducts if they were truly made in the U.S.

I totally support that idea.

Consider, that the North Carolina server farm could have been built anywhere in the world.

I'd also like to see Apple subsidize iPads to be used as OTPC (One Tablet Per Child) with as many of the jobs (manufacturing, assembly,distribution and servicing activities as possible) going to the target countries.

I would enthusiastically support a BOGO - Buy One Give One!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #117 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacChad View Post

Obligatory: Well, everyone has been saying the president should focus more on "Jobs"...

<groan>

Wow! That joke goes back to the 1984 nomination of a Democratic Candidate for President.

Gary Hart had the support of many Apple executives and I remember Woz joking:

"I'm supporting Gary Hart -- because he's good for Jobs".

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #118 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst View Post

If Apple could acquire the expertise and ability to produce a device, a fuel cell the size of say a microwave oven, that would power your house, imagine the market. Imagine the value of a share of Apple stock!

I don't want Apple to get into areas outside their expertise, however, their knowledge of systems integration and power control make them experts in some aspects. They could conceivably license some of their patents to others for use in certain energy or battery-related fields.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #119 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Politics and technology. Not good!

Technology and politics. Not good!

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #120 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by algr View Post

Such incredible arrogance that after what Bush did to the economy that Clinton gave him, republicans are still convinced that they are the ones who understand capitalism. Republicans worship capitalism but have no understanding of it.

This applies equally to Democrats and Republicans. When one party has too much power they act solely in their party's interest. Bush did it and Obama has been doing it. Unfortunately, both parties have way too much entrenched power in Washington and neither is answerable to the American people. Toss them all out on their ears.

Also, just a suggestion to the mods... Maybe this thread needs to move to Political Outsider as it is now hopelessly off track.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › President Obama meets Steve Jobs to discuss economy, technology