or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor

Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor - Page 3

post #81 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I think they studied the usage, and determined that they didn't want to serve the numbers that were over 2GB with free bandwidth.

As far as I know, as long as we keep our $30 plans, we'll never lose them (well, never is not likely the right word). I don't know what happens if we don't re-up for one month though. I'm not sure who there might be to ask, and I didn't read the entire contract to see what they say about that.

Well I'm keeping my $30 plan till the end. I'll ask my friend who works at a AT&T store if I can still keep my unlimited data if I renew my contract.
post #82 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Well I'm keeping my $30 plan till the end. I'll ask my friend who works at a AT&T store if I can still keep my unlimited data if I renew my contract.

I wonder if they know that at the stores, as we do this through the iPad itself. But, it doesn't hurt to ask. Just make sure he actually knows, as opposed to him thinking he knows. I find a lot of that around.
post #83 of 144
Quote:

I wonder if they know that at the stores, as we do this through the iPad itself. But, it doesn't hurt to ask. Just make sure he actually knows, as opposed to him thinking he knows. I find a lot of that around.

I'll keep that in mind.
post #84 of 144
Quote:

Ok, I don't know why, but I LOVE those Ads.

Maybe but I was imagining the twist on those ads relating to an iPhone 4 by the trolls ... \
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #85 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe but I was imagining the twist on those ads relating to an iPhone 4 by the trolls ... \

I'd be curious as to what they would come up with. Sometimes this stuff looks more like satire than a diss.
post #86 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

if this was the only hint about a Verizon iPhone, you might be right. But as you note in your later "Yawn" post, there is literally a tsunami of evidence (and related stories) about the imminent release of the iPhone on Verizon. This is just one more piece of the puzzle.

I don't care who get s the iPhone, but let's keep it clear, imminent RUMOR of the ....
post #87 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

I don't care who get s the iPhone, but let's keep it clear, imminent RUMOR of the ....

We know, but some sources are better than others.
post #88 of 144
What's the point? You still won't be able to get the POS working with Exchange.
post #89 of 144
It's funny how people assume they know what Verizon did and did not give up to get the iPhone, whenever it does show up. For all we know, vCast will be on there, but no Verizon logo. vCast could even be a downloadable app.
post #90 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's funny how people assume they know what Verizon did and did not give up to get the iPhone, whenever it does show up. For all we know, vCast will be on there, but no Verizon logo. vCast could even be a downloadable app.

I suppose vCast might be a downloadable app. There are others like it in the App Store now, and that could be a good compromise to save face for Verizon. But I just don't see Apple allowing it on the phone as a standard app. That would be giving every other carrier notice that they too can demand something like it. You know, the slippery slope thing? I really can't see Apple wanting that to happen.
post #91 of 144
Quote:

I bought my iPad 3G before AT&T announcement about the data changes but never activated the data plan. If I remember correctly they said that if you bought your iPad before the announcement you can get the unlimited data plan option. However, last week I was thinking about activating the data plan and wanted to check my options.. guess what?! the unlimited data plan is not there anymore (it was there few months ago)! It seems they are pulling it slowly and hoping that no one notice or people forget about it.
post #92 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I bought my iPad 3G before AT&T announcement about the data changes but never activated the data plan. If I remember correctly they said that if you bought your iPad before the announcement you can get the unlimited data plan option. However, last week I was thinking about activating the data plan and wanted to check my options.. guess what?! the unlimited data plan is not there anymore (it was there few months ago)! It seems they are pulling it slowly and hoping that no one notice or people forget about it.

Yeah. I used my plan starting from June, and I've had it ever since. That's why I'm thinking that if I don't get it for a month, I may be stuck with the newer plans only.

I suspect that if I drop to a lower plan, I'll also be out of luck next time.
post #93 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Actually they announced awhile back.
post #94 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I wonder if the Verizon iPhone would carry the Verizon logo on it or require a VCast app preinstalled.
What's in it for Verizon?

I'll bet you a years mortgage, Jobs will NOT allow any Verizon crap on his phone. I think that was partially why Apple didn't go with Verizon in the first place. (They did talk) Verizon wanted some control and Apple wasn't having it. Personally I hope Verizon gets it, but is not allowed to dirty up the phone with all their shit apps. It'd totally kill the experience
post #95 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Yeah, Verizon has really been licking their wounds the last three and a half years. They don't have anything that compares to the iPhone. They really took a pasting. *sigh* Fanboys fanboys.

Like I always said, this forum has a dozen or so people who make absurd statements and the rest chime in with totally agree, plus one and spot on. Occasionally we get a "you got that right" as well.

Verizon does not "need" apple. Nor does Adobe, Java or anyone else. Apple's existence is rooted in their ability to "get along" with the members of the Microsoft ecosystem. When Steve Jobs starts acting like a monolithic elitist, no one will want to have anything to do with him and Apple will wither and die on the vine.

It's happening a little bit more every day. Sad really. But a great test of how far people will go under the influence of the RDF.

More comments from the peanut gallery. Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Get over it troll
post #96 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I call no on the CDMA ipad.

Why?

Because there is nothing stopping Apple from making one right now. No exclusive deals etc.

And yet the ipad you can buy at Verizon starting the 28th is NOT CDMA. It's a wifi with their mifi box. Why would they have to do that, instead of selling a native ipad if Apple could make one or is going to make one in just a few months for them.

As for the phone, court docs showed the deal was until 2012. Until someone addresses how anything before then is legally possible, I'm hesitant to believe any Verizon iphone rumors. Particularly ones this thin.

Contracts can be re-negotiated
post #97 of 144
Wow- So I guess Verizon reads the apple rumor sites too!
post #98 of 144
Quote:

Verizon does not "need" apple. Nor does Adobe, Java or anyone else. Apple's existence is rooted in their ability to "get along" with the members of the Microsoft ecosystem. When Steve Jobs starts acting like a monolithic elitist, no one will want to have anything to do with him and Apple will wither and die on the vine.

It's happening a little bit more every day. Sad really. But a great test of how far people will go under the influence of the RDF.

If it's happening a bit more everyday and Apple is getting more successful everyday as in most cases, call it RDF or what you will, it's working!
post #99 of 144
I assume that you mean pre-loaded which most everyone would agree. Verizon WILL be allowed to have their own apps in the apps store. Anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

I'll bet you a years mortgage, Jobs will NOT allow any Verizon crap on his phone. I think that was partially why Apple didn't go with Verizon in the first place. (They did talk) Verizon wanted some control and Apple wasn't having it. Personally I hope Verizon gets it, but is not allowed to dirty up the phone with all their shit apps. It'd totally kill the experience
post #100 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

I assume that you mean pre-loaded which most everyone would agree. Verizon WILL be allowed to have their own apps in the apps store. Anyone who thinks otherwise is nuts.

Yup. I don't see why Apple would prevent the apps from being in the store like any other app. It's the preloading of apps that can't be removed that I don't see happening.
post #101 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I call no on the CDMA ipad.

Why?

Because there is nothing stopping Apple from making one right now. No exclusive deals etc.

And yet the ipad you can buy at Verizon starting the 28th is NOT CDMA. It's a wifi with their mifi box. Why would they have to do that, instead of selling a native ipad if Apple could make one or is going to make one in just a few months for them.

As for the phone, court docs showed the deal was until 2012. Until someone addresses how anything before then is legally possible, I'm hesitant to believe any Verizon iphone rumors. Particularly ones this thin.

I haven't seen the agreement, but does it restrict apple to make any cell phone for any other provider other than AT&T for 5 years or is it just iphone. My point is if the exclusivity is for iphone then is it not possible that apple makes a xPhone (x = whatever apple names) which runs iOS on a new set of H/W.
post #102 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

I haven't seen the agreement, but does it restrict apple to make any cell phone for any other provider other than AT&T for 5 years or is it just iphone. My point is if the exclusivity is for iphone then is it not possible that apple makes a xPhone (x = whatever apple names) which runs iOS on a new set of H/W.

Contracts are usually pretty explicit and will cover all the bases. I have to assume that AT&Ts legal counsel is no slouch.

Of course, mistakes are made. Just look at Intel and Nvidias current issue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #103 of 144
I'm thinking that att's concession to apple allowing them to drop the unlimited data plans was to shave off a year of exclusivity...
post #104 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Contracts are usually pretty explicit and will cover all the bases. I have to assume that AT&Ts legal counsel is no slouch.

Of course, mistakes are made. Just look at Intel and Nvidias current issue.

Just look at Apple, Microsoft, and windowing technology.
post #105 of 144
Quote:

I'm in this for the money.

We already suspected you were a paid troll. Thanks for the confirmation .... now all that remains to be answered is ..... who was stupid enough to pay you?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #106 of 144
Quote:

$20 billion, a $280 billion + market cap (look out, Exxon Mobil), $51 billion in cash, with Microsoft in their rearview mirror, and the resources to do so many things in-house (or make some key acquisitions) says otherwise.

It's Apple that needs no one, aside from an ocean of developers and consumers ready to line up to buy. That won't change anytime soon. In fact, it's everyone else that either wants to be a part of what Apple is doing, or wants to emulate some key aspect of their business.

it's seems Microsoft is desperate to "get along" with Apple these days. EVERYBODY in the industry need Apple, make no mistake.

Consumers decide where the players will move. They've voted with their wallets for Apple.

Record iPhone sales. Over 14.1 million this past quarter alone, easily surpassing RIM. Record Mac sales. 7 million iPads sold since April. Apple can do very little wrong at this point. iOS is a massive success, and integrating it with OS X is the final move in making the most usable tech across the board in the entire industry. In fact, I can't recall a quarter in recent years that didn't set a new record for the company. Recall that Apple had blowout sales . . . in a recession!

Seems consumers are not just happy with Apple, they're ecstatic with the company's decisions.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/18/...-quarter-ever/

Take-away from the numbers:

Conference Call Highlights:
- CFO Peter Oppenheimer with summary: New all-time records for Mac, iPhone and iPad sales.
- New Mac sales record by over 400,000 - double overall market growth. Double-digit growth in both desktop and portables, led by iMac, MacBook Pro, and MacBook.
- Nearly 9.1 million iPods sold. Market share remains over 70% per NPD.
- iTunes Store revenue over $1 billion for the quarter.
- "Extremely pleased" with 14.1 million iPhones sold. iPhone revenue reached $8.82 billion, up 92 percent. Average selling price of $610.
- iPhone has 166 carriers in 89 countries. Very pleased with response in China since recent launch.
- Enterprise adoption of iPhone 4 continues to grow. 80% of Fortune 500 companies, up from 60% before iPhone 4 launch.
- iPhone sales very strong, but could have sold more if supply had been available.
- iPad sales strong. 65% of Fortune 100 companies using iPad. Expanding retail distribution and filling sales channels, but still below desired levels.
- Have now passed 125 million total iOS devices sold.
- iOS 4.2 coming in November with AirPrint and other features.
- App Store: Over 200,000 registered developers. "Very happy" with iAd performance.
- Retail store revenue at $3.75 billion. 874,000 Macs sold, up 30% year-over-year. 50% of sales to customers new to Mac.
- First-day sales at new Beijing and Shanghai stores set new records.
- Average revenue per store $11.8 million, up 52% year-over-year.
- 74.5 million visitors during the quarter, up 62% year-over-year.
- Fiscal 2011 will see focus on international expansion. 40-50 new stores, with over 50% outside U.S. Also replacing several U.S. stores.
- Cash plus marketable securities at $51 billion, up $5.2 billion.
- Fiscal 2010 saw over 13.6 million Macs sold, 40 million iPhones, nearly 7.5 million iPads, record revenue of over $65 billion. Earnings of $14 billion. 5x the revenue and 10x the earnings of five years ago.
- Guidance: Revenue at $23 billion, gross margin at 36%, earnings of $4.80 per share.

Apple doesn't need anyone to work with them, actually. They have $51 billion in cash on-hand, they're debt-free, they're the hottest company in tech, and in due course, will surpass Exxon Mobil as the most valuable company on the planet. They're the master of their own fate. Microsoft is now in their rear-view mirror. They can do so many things in-house if they like already, or simply make a few acquisitions. All Apple needs are developers to be on board and consumers to continue lining up for their products. And they are. That won't change in the foreseeable future. All Apple needs to do is stick to their vision.

The new low-end for Apple stock is around $300. Did you forget that? Investors seem to think SJ is doing a fine job. In fact, SJ's performance as CEO is widely regarded as unmatched in the industry today. But why would no one want to work with them when Apple gear is flying off the shelves? you can bet there will be no shortage of potential partners for Apple at this rate. Just ask AT&T and Foxconn. See how Apple turned their back on Adobe and Flash? The result: Adobe stock ended up tanking. And Apple ended up selling a record number of iPhones and iPads. No Flash. No consequences. Just a lot of bluster and hot air from wrong-headed analysts and geeks on tech sites. Apple has this habit of proving them wrong every damn time.

You seem to be living in some other world that has no basis in reality. Look at the what the market is saying, not what geeks on tech sites are saying. AppleInsider and Macrumors and other tech sites are not the place to gauge opinion. They are a barometer of nothing. This crowd doesn't know sweet f all about the market. LOL they're still pining away for some kind of desktop headless Mac you can take apart and play with. It would be comical if it weren't so sad.

It seems every year for the past 5-7 years we have this sort of conversation. This nonsense from folks who don't "get" Apple really needs to stop.
post #107 of 144
Why do some of you guys bother responding to Blackintosh? I have him on Ignore and never see what he has to say unless you respond with his post quoted. He's just trolling because he doesn't have a life to get off on anything else.
post #108 of 144
Blackintosh and Whitentosh are the same person. Both accounts banned.
post #109 of 144
Used a second account. Banned.
post #110 of 144
Quote:

Apple's success thus far has been based on their willingness to live in the Microsoft ecosystem. Easy networking, compatibility with Word and Pages, mp3 support in iPods, etc etc.

MS is the creator of easy networking? Explain that.
Apple wouldnt exist with Word support? Explain that.
MS created mp3s? Explain that.

Quote:
Now that Apple is getting too big for it's britches, or too big for Steve's ego, they are moving to a more monolithic "my way or the hiway" mentality and what I am saying is that is not going to work. Why? Two reasons.

1. Apple is not big enough. Yeah, market cap. Jobs said the Mac has a 21 percent market share. Still a niche market in the Microsoft pool. They are not big enough yet to dictate terms to anyone.

1) You start off saying Apple is too big than you imply that they are very small compared to MS. You really think that makes sense?

2) You are comparing a marketshare of Mac, a brand of PC to what exactly? As far as I know MS doesnt make any PCs.

Quote:
2. No one likes being told what to do. This "walled garden" iOS mentality that has spread to Lion will alienate buyers. No flash, no porn, apps rejected for no good reason. No one is going to put up with that and that is why Apple will eventually fail. They look good now, but it's coming my dear friends. Oh yes, it's coming.

Flash isnt allowed? Explain that.
You cant watch porn? Explain that.
You cant install any app you wish? Explain that.
post #111 of 144
post #112 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitentosh View Post

I mean no disrespect Alex, but may I suggest that Blackintosh has as much right to comment here as anyone. If you don't want to see it, can you not just look past it?

Oh, yeah. We're going to side with you; the person whose name is identical to his and who has only posted seven times.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #113 of 144
Quote:

I never said MS was the creator of "easy networking. I said Apple's success was due to their willingness to co-exist in the Microsoft world. And easy networking made that possible. I never said MS made networking easy. Apple made it easier with Tiger and then Leopard.

It would be impossible for (what term should I use??) a lot of people to use a Mac if there wasn't support for Word documents in preview and eventually Pages. Surly you don't deny this? How well would Mac's and Pages have gone over if they were chained to their own proprietary format? How well would Mac's have sold if there was no Office for Mac? Another example of "when in Rome."

I didn't say Microsoft created MP3's. I used MP3's as an example of how Apple tried to co exist in the music player market by offering support for MP3 formatted music. How successful would the iPod have been if it only worked with aac files purchased from iTunes. No support for existing music libraries, pirated or otherwise, or ripped from CD? Remember the old ads, I don't know who the company was, that used to say it would cost 20,000 dollars to fill up a 20 Gig iPod so use our service?

Jeez, Solipsism, you're way off the beam on this one my friend.

So what youve done is disproven your previous comments about Apple not supporting any other standards except their own and shown, without a shadow of a doubt, that Apple isnt the walled garden you first made them out to be.
post #114 of 144
post #115 of 144
Quote:

I said they were too big for their britches and Steve's ego, which they are.

I'm not even sure what this baloney even means. Evidence?

Steve has always had an ego. Today, however, it's dawned on him that Apple is the master of their own fate and they're moving away from reliance on so many other players and beginning to call the shots. The strength of their products allow them to do this. Given their current success with this strategy, there is no evidence this is a negative or ever will be a negative.

You're talking a lot of nonsense that has absolutely no basis in reality. For one, you're trying to make a case against Apple's obvious success. Which is frankly, insane. It's simply not a viable thing to do at this point, especially when the industry at large is trying to emulate Apple or some aspect of their business.

As for Macs, Apple owns the Premium end. The entry fee is $1000+. What angers Ballmer so much is that Windows has been relegated to the bargain-bin along with the lousy hardware churned out by the also-rans. People with $$ to spare are choosing Macs and other Apple gear. The cream of the consumer crop is making Apple a boatload of money - and then Apple turns around and offers iPads and iPhones for everyone else. All on the strength of the User Experience provided by the controlled Apple ecosystem. It's a brilliant strategy that is paying off.

Notice that the more locked-down and controlling Apple seems, the more they seem to sell . . . of everything?

Quote:

They used to be willing to live in the Windows ecosystem. They do it less and less every day with iOS and the App store.

Uh . . . that's the whole point, champ. The road to self-sufficiency.

And it's working.
post #116 of 144
Quote:

I said they had a 21 percent market share compared to MS.

Show us where they compared Apples PC sales to MS OS licensing sales, and not to the sales of other PCs in the US.

Quote:
I am comparing market share of the Mac to PC's in general.

No youre not, but youve either failed to realize because cognitive thinking is an issue for you or you are just trolling these forums, because Macs are PCs. Next time there is informative on PC stats you should realize that Apple makes up part of the numbers hence Macs are PCs. You should also note that MS is not listed in there, its Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc. because they make PCs. MS doesnt make PCs.

Quote:

They used to be willing to live in the Windows ecosystem. They do it less and less every day with iOS and the App store.

Actually, its MS that is willing to work with Apples ecosystem because Apple is the only one with a viable ecosystem right now. Windows is just an OS.

But as for living in Windows less and less everyday, the opposite is true. You just have to look at iTunes and the push to use more and more open web standards that are OS independent to see that. But you wont.

Quote:
I often bore my relatives to death...

I believe it.

Quote:
I still remember Apple Mail in Tiger having a box to check to send emails to Windows users. I don't know what it was for, but it was an attempt to co exist in the Windows world. It aint there anymore is it?

You act like a troll, but then you post crap like this which makes me think you arent very bright. You see some option that you dont know what its for, never googled it, but are now using it as a platform for an argument. Seriously?!

BTW, its to send Windows friendly ATTACHMENTS, and its still in Mail under Edit » Attachments, and checked off by default.

Again youve disproven your poorly contrived point that Apple purposely tries not to play well with Windows.

Quote:

Flash was banned from the iPhone for battery life reasons. There was no cause to ban it from the iPad.

It never existed on iOS, it only came to being this year for a mobile platform, and its still only a very small percentage of Android phones. How is that Apples fault. If you really think battery life is the only issue or that the battery life on the iPad is so great that it wouldnt be an issue even if Adobe miraculously had Flash ready for it, then I refer to my above comment about your mental capacity.

Quote:
Steve Job's stance on Porn is well known. Look it up.

Based on your assessment that hes against Apple directly supporting it, I guess that means anyone who used their system for pedophila, terrorism, adultery, or whatever means that those PC makers or OS makers or app makers support it?

Quote:
I never said you couldn't install any app you wish. I said Apple rejects apps it doesn't like for no good reason. Or so I've heard.

Ive never had a problem installing an app on a Mac and I dont expect that to change with Lion.

Look, despite your curmudgeon jackassary Im really trying to be easy on you as I assume it must be frustrating to not understand what everyone seems to get. But if you dont cut it out I will come down on you like a unsold case of Zunes.
post #117 of 144
Aren't they hiring for the launch of their LTE network. It's a huge launch, covering 38 cities and 60 airports at launch - meaning a huge 75% of the US population from day one.
post #118 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You act like a troll, but then you post crap like this which makes me think you aren’t very bright. You see some option that you don’t know what it’s for, never googled it, but are now using it as a platform for an argument. Seriously?!

It's not an argument, it's a friendly discussion. Why get so upset? Can't you take anyone else's opinion but your own? Are you that insecure in yourself? Or are you just a fanboy who can't tolerate anything negative about your heros?

I was expecting you to tell me that you email videos from your iPhone 4 all the time with no problem whatsoever. Don't you?
post #119 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Aren't they hiring for the launch of their LTE network. It's a huge launch, covering 38 cities and 60 airports at launch - meaning a huge 75% of the US population from day one.

Maybe, but that should be mostly transparent to the user and only an issue with people calling to ask about it or buy the handsets that will eventually use it. Arent these just call center reps? Wouldnt their current reps just need to be briefed on what to tell the customers?

I think that this means they are actually expecting a rush of new customers for specific hardware and I dont think the new LTE handsets would be that reason as they will pricy and likely very poor the way WiMAX is for Sprint in many aspects. IOWs, they wont be a huge consumer draw for awhile.
post #120 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Skil View Post

I agree with everything you said... and will ever say.

Totally agree.
+1
Spot on
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor