or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update

Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update - Page 4

post #121 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

whats stopping you from using chrome? or at least IE8?

Seriously. You'd be doing us web developers a favor if you at least IE8 or FF, Safari or Chrome or Opera.
post #122 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

I was waiting for the Melinda story to show up.

If the Gates family had Apple products in their home, fanboys would be hooting it up at MS's expense as a self-justifying data point about Apple, regardless. MS/Gates can't win either way, because much of the attitude here doesn't allow it. This is why I've always preferred AI stop with the troll food stories.

That's soo true. This is a troll food story.
post #123 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Of course many of them. My Evo has run Flash for two months now. I believe the Incredible and Droid 2 and Droid X also run Flash 10.1 and have 2.2 Android. I could be wrong on one of them but I am certain the Evo has it because I own one.

Yeah, you are right: Apple is awesome, and Melinda Gates is right to keep this level of awesomeness away from her family. Think of the scandal!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #124 of 127
Did anyone even consider that Melinda's remarks might have been completely tongue-in-cheek? Were I in her position, it might be fun to throw such remarks into the world and observe the comments on sites like these.

Just saying. Love Gates, love Jobs. Without either of them, I wouldn't be enjoying the things I'm enjoying in the form that they are in. The primary difference between the two companies is purpose. Apple's purpose seems to be to make products that they are passionate about, and Microsoft's purpose seems to be to make a lot of money by being involved in a lot of different areas of the market. Different purposes, different results.
post #125 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

He's well known to generally think of himself as being the smartest person in any given room, with all that implies. I don't hate the man for any of this, I just mention it for perspective. Surface appearances aside, I don't think he's any more personable than, say, Steve Jobs.

It's a common malady among the rich that they assume that the only intelligence that really means anything is the kind of intelligence that lends itself to success in business. They see their success as wholly due to their hard work and brilliance. Factors such as good parents, good genes, good (often free) education, money, good environment, and good luck are seen as peripheral and rather insignificant.

Whether Gates (or Jobs for that matter) reflect this and to what degree I cannot say. I hope not.

Warren Buffet, for one, seems to have come away unscathed by this malady.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #126 of 127
Has anyone bothered to think about what will happen if the children of one of the founders of microsoft were to be caught using apple products? Geez give them a break.
post #127 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's a common malady among the rich that they assume that the only intelligence that really means anything is the kind of intelligence that lends itself to success in business. They see their success as wholly due to their hard work and brilliance. Factors such as good parents, good genes, good (often free) education, money, good environment, and good luck are seen as peripheral and rather insignificant.

Whether Gates (or Jobs for that matter) reflect this and to what degree I cannot say. I hope not.

Warren Buffet, for one, seems to have come away unscathed by this malady.

True story. Bill grew up in an affluent family, which came with a lot of built-in opportunities, and to put it mildly, he has no self-esteme issues. He also always took great joy in beating other people out of something. At Harvard it was all about playing poker. He was known to be remarkably good at cards in college. Bill is a smart man, no question -- but being smart is rarely enough. He was also extremely lucky. A couple of times, he's almost admitted it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update