or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update

Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update - Page 3

post #81 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

LOL. No I don't work for Microsoft of any of its partners. I have never even used a Zune. Get a grip. If you are going to paranoid join a group like the 911 Truthers or something and keep that stupid crap off this forum.

bullhead, extremey is just a home-grown token troll here. You can respond, ignore (very handy for most of his postings) or zip right past as you feel the need. For the record, one doesn't have to be paid by Microsoft to be extreme, adversely opinionated and dismissive, just dysfunctional.

>Since Bill Gates can afford to have an in-house Microsoft consultant to manage his smart-home systems on Windows boxes, and keep all the other Redmond kit running smoothly, why would he have any Apple stuff? It's good to be insanely rich!

>I noticed eTrade commercials feature Apple kit rather obviously - and as other postings have offered, there is a blend of product placement, and product recognition that occurs - it works both ways. Characters who need to have a certain type of profile will be shown to be using certain equipment. Likewise, popular shows are good venues to show-off your kit.

>I hope these companies can get the suit dismissed - I want Allen to work for a living like the rest of us.
post #82 of 127
Honestly, I don't care what Mr and Mrs Gates wants in their house, it's their property and it's their own business.

I know a lot of people who don't want x and y products in their households due to political, religious, business or personal reasons and for both Bill and Melinda Gates, it is logical for them to ban Apple products in their household because A) Apple and Microsoft are competitors and B) to all the techies out there, they know Mr and Mrs Gates is Microsoft and if they buy a single Apple product, they are implying that Microsoft as a company produces products that even the founder and his family find inferior to that of Apple. It will be a PR coup for Apple and a PR nightmare for Microsoft and the Gates are not fools.
post #83 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

I've never seen "allowed" spelled that way. Gawd, you guys are stupid.

my iPhone's auto-correct has a mind of it's own.
post #84 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

I'd call that superb brand placing and marketing.

exactly. Microsoft is spends more money on advertising than just about anyone...the Microsoft astroturfers are out in force anymore. Look at the carpet bombs from this guy.
post #85 of 127
Quote:

You could be right on that, his is most likely putting his effort into beating them down keeping them from getting an Android phone that runs Flash.

Am I mistaken?

Is there an Android phone that runs Flash yet?

HTC Hero to be first Android Flash phone
Caroline Gabriel/Rethink Wireless | September 27, 2010
http://www.telecomasia.net/content/h...id-flash-phone
post #86 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

that pose is somewhat disturbing.. but wow where did you get that picture of a mac in Bill's office?

It may be disturbing now, but in the day it made geeks around the world get all hot. If that's not an even more disturbing thought, then I don't know what is.

Probably circa 1985. For the record, Bill had nice things to say about the Mac back then. Microsoft was developing software for the Mac, after all, and the first usable version of Windows was still five years off.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Honestly, I don't care what Mr and Mrs Gates wants in their house, it's their property and it's their own business.

I know a lot of people who don't want x and y products in their households due to political, religious, business or personal reasons and for both Bill and Melinda Gates, it is logical for them to ban Apple products in their household because A) Apple and Microsoft are competitors and B) to all the techies out there, they know Mr and Mrs Gates is Microsoft and if they buy a single Apple product, they are implying that Microsoft as a company produces products that even the founder and his family find inferior to that of Apple. It will be a PR coup for Apple and a PR nightmare for Microsoft and the Gates are not fools.

...Apple both competes with and licenses Microsoft technologies, and Microsoft in turn develops for Apple and tries to produce competing products. Apple has pretty much ceded the corporate business space to Microsoft - and doesn't actively compete there, unless demand (as in the case of the iPhones and iPads) requires it. And the perception, whatever that may be (and I think you are dead correct on this) of Gates using anything other than a Redmond product would compromise the integrity of his support of all things Microsoft. He may not be directly at the helm anymore, but he is not going to let his legacy be sullied.
post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Does he still have a Mac in his office, at least? (Look over his shoulder.)

Is that the "Blue Screen of Death" on the PC behind him?
post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What a silly and narrow minded attitude to take. At least he always made sure his R & D department had everything Apple ever produced to they could get a clue as to what to do next.

The article is about personal use. Do you really think SJ uses a Windows 7 machine at home?
post #90 of 127
I made the "mistake" of attending a meeting at the Gates Foundation offices a few years back with my MacBook Pro. Bill Sr. made a joke about it, a couple of former MS employees working at the Foundation snarled, but most folks there looked longingly at my laptop
post #91 of 127
The Gates' family doesn't use Apple products? Is this seriously an article on this site?

Guess what? There's probably a good chance that the Jobs family doesn't use Microsoft products on a regular basis, either.

All this article does is start yet another unnecessary flame war.
post #92 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Wow! Being a Gates child is worse than being a poor starving child in Africa. At least the poor starving children in Africa are getting 1st generation iPhones now.

If I were a Gates child, I would contact Steve and see how much money I could get for filming an iPod ad.

The kid wouldn't even need to get paid--they'd inherit more than any advertiser could pay when their parents died of heart attacks
post #93 of 127
Quote:

And Steve Jobs isn't narrow minded when it comes to his products. Are you kidding me? Steve Jobs makes an extra effort to bash others.

That's not the point. It seems to me that you want to understand your competitors. Steve might not have any PCs in his house or use competitors' products regularly, but I can guarantee you that he has taken a close look at competitors' products, especially phones, because he seems to have a very good understanding of what other people are doing.

Although Gates is not supposedly involved in the day-to-day at Microsoft anymore, it seems to me that especially when your kids want to use your competitor's products, you'd want to understand why. Furthermore, Microsoft produces Office for the Mac, so it's still an important market for them. If you were in charge at Microsoft, wouldn't you want to study the Mac and iOS interface and browser? It's obvious that others at Microsoft have because they copy almost everything Apple does (although usually badly) as have all of the phone operating systems.
post #94 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not to mention kind of cruel in this particular case, denying kids an iPod and insisting they use a Zune. Imagine the mocking they got!

Let's hope they don't turn out to be like Will & Griff Whitman-Harsh at Princeton.
post #95 of 127
That's like a product manager at some junk food company saying, "Sorry, kids-no fruits or veggies for you. Here, have a donut and some fritos instead. Ha! We just schooled those healthy foods!"
post #96 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post

Why is this even a story? Does anyone pretend for even a minute that Steve Jobs has any PCs in his home?

He has Windows on his Mac. Doesn't that count?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #97 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

That's never going to happen. Apple maybe a lot of things but they're not that stupid to go that far. They know the backlash that could result. They don't have to lockdown the Mac, the Mac App Store will eventually be the only place regular casual Mac users will know how to get Mac apps.

I read an article last week at the Back to Mac event where in Jobs said that "not at this time" when he was asked if Apple would allow other ways (besides the App Store) for users to download apps to iOS device. He didn't flat out say NO. So now that people are so used to going to the App Store to get apps that Apple might eventually allow other alternatives to getting apps and that it wouldn't really hurt the App Store.

But then again everything remains to be seen. It might or may not happen.

"Not at this time"? He said, twice, during the event, that the Mac App store would NOT be the only way to get applications on Lion. First, it would be foolish to do so, and second, it would shut down many long-standing sales avenues, including some used by very major producers. Would Adobe put CS6 on the Mac App Store? They have their own channels, as does every software biggie. Some MIGHT put their software there, but others will not until they are sure about the impact of joining. It's small-to-medium businesses that will jump on as soon as they can.
post #98 of 127
These horribly cruel billionaire parents are obviously abusing their children. Have they no shame?
post #99 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Steve Jobs complemented Microsoft several times on their success, he even complemented Gates during TV shows. But like a true artist he criticized Microsoft's lack of creativity.

Gates on the otherhand, never complemented Steve or Apple on any of their accomplishments after releasing Windows.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
post #100 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

That's why we're here, bucko! We love to incite and pour gasoline on whatever embers are glowing around here! It's the comic relief of the day.
post #101 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComboApp View Post

I'm not sure that I can call them poor, but still - poor kids....

Anyone know the number for Child Protective Services in Redmond?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #102 of 127
If they can't play with Apple products, how are they going to get ideas for new products of their own!
post #103 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

As opposed to our normally off topic and disjointed threads? \

Ha ha
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

The article is about personal use. Do you really think SJ uses a Windows 7 machine at home?

I was referring to the 'ban' rather than it being personal life style decisions. The kids wanted iPods after all!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #105 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Steve Jobs complemented Microsoft several times on their success, he even complemented Gates during TV shows. But like a true artist he criticized Microsoft's lack of creativity.

Gates on the otherhand, never complemented Steve or Apple on any of their accomplishments after releasing Windows.

It's called guilt!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #106 of 127
Quote:

The Gates' family doesn't use Apple products? Is this seriously an article on this site?

Guess what? There's probably a good chance that the Jobs family doesn't use Microsoft products on a regular basis, either.

Not true. Steve owned a ThinkPad when he returned to Apple 13 years ago. What was he going to use, a PowerBook?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #107 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPads are similarly off limits and when one of her three children recently argued, “Mom, I have to have an iPod" she responded with "You may have a Zune.”

... said, as she slaps her child. "No iPod for you! And you are never to mention that word in this house ever again! Go to your room, get on your PC and MSN your dad for forgiveness!"
post #108 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

The kid wouldn't even need to get paid--they'd inherit more than any advertiser could pay when their parents died of heart attacks

Actually, from what I've read of the matter, Gates is leaving very little of his fortune to his children, because he doesn't want them to be spoiled. He wants them to actually have to work for their money, which I fully agree with.

I know everyone here hates Bill Gates, but he's actually a very genuinely nice person, at least in terms of philanthropy and other non-business areas. As is Steve Jobs.
post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not true. Steve owned a ThinkPad when he returned to Apple 13 years ago. What was he going to use, a PowerBook?

I'd imagine he'd probably have used a NeXT portable, had such a machine existed.
post #110 of 127
Quote:

When Apple reported earning he bashed RIM and really took a good amount of time to bash Google which I found even more interesting. For the amount for time he took talking about Android he must be thinking about Android alot.

Now while I agree that not letting a product in your house is over the top and sounds stupid, I think we can all agree that Jobs is also over the top on certain issues.

extreme ... as you know. you and I have "butted heads" on more than one occasion ... and have even agreed on some things from time to time, as well .... so don't take this as a personal attack on you .... as it is not meant that way. Rather, I would only like to point out how "over the top " language can be viewed as either "fanboi"(ism) or troll like behavior .. depending on ones' point of view.

The "bashing" that you allude to, and the remarks that followed from Rim and HP are a part of a normal point, counterpoint, dialogue that occurs between competitors all the time. IMHO, Steve Jobs has shown an ability to respond to, but not initiate, this behavior rather well. I suppose that's a result of Apple being in the position where most others are trying to catch up and therefore have to be more aggressive with their words.

I think when either one of us makes it our personal goal to "defend" our choice of CEO/computer we sometimes get carried away and hence "earn our respective titles" of troll/fanbois. I, too, get caught up quite often in the passion of debate, but in the interest of trying to remain relevant, if it isn't already too late, I'm trying to cure myself of this habit. I welcome your company because, when you dial down the rhetoric you have many interesting things to say.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #111 of 127
Quote:

Steve Jobs is without a doubt over the top and in my opinion borderline nut case but to be honest that has been to the benefit of Apple and people like me that own stock.

Oh well, I tried.
post #112 of 127
Quote:

I know everyone here hates Bill Gates, but he's actually a very genuinely nice person, at least in terms of philanthropy and other non-business areas. As is Steve Jobs.

Why would you say such a thing? Sure a lot of people bad mouth him in the context of this or that argument about PC vs. Mac stuff. But hate? Like most people, I've never met the man. From what I've seen of him though the media he seems modest, gentlemanly and even self-effacing. His politics, from what I've heard are fairly progressive. I like his stance on inheritance. He picked a "normal" wife--not some trophy starlet. There's a lot to like about him. The only thing I don't care much for are his products.

I expect if Bill and I had a beer I'd like him. All I'm saying is try to avoid sweeping generalities about "everyone here."
post #113 of 127
I was ski-ing last season in the French Alps and hocked up with a nice bunch of people ... one day we stopped to have lunch and to chill out and chat ... The conversation turned to our day jobs and what we all did to fund our ski holidays ... A lovely young girl from the UK had just landed a new job with the Bill Gates Foundation and we were all slightly envious as she told us she was flying out to Seattle after the holiday to meet her new colleagues and start her new job .... Being a mac guy I was really interested in this story ... How lovely to be employed in a job where you are helping to spend Bill's money! .... The best was yet to come though .... 'One thing I was really surprised about though she said' ... ''The guys from Bill's office rang me and asked me what kind of mac I wanted? ''

This is a true story ...
post #114 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Why would you say such a thing? Sure a lot of people bad mouth him in the context of this or that argument about PC vs. Mac stuff. But hate? Like most people, I've never met the man. From what I've seen of him though the media he seems modest, gentlemanly and even self-effacing. His politics, from what I've heard are fairly progressive. I like his stance on inheritance. He picked a "normal" wife--not some trophy starlet. There's a lot to like about him. The only thing I don't care much for are his products.

I expect if Bill and I had a beer I'd like him. All I'm saying is try to avoid sweeping generalities about "everyone here."

Nicely said.
post #115 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I'll bet you that Steve Jobs doesn't have any type of rule preventing his kids from getting a Zune, or any other lame product from Microsoft.

Thompson

I honestly don't know, but it would either stem from some ideological stance, or an extreme personal disdain for your competition. I just don't see Steve exhibiting either characteristic. Problem is: Microsoft competes with everyone these days, and as a result, they have an extreme case of NIH (Not Invented Here). Does Melinda Gates also block Google from her home network? Or police her kids' laptops to make sure they haven't installed Firefox? Or allow her kids to have a Nintendo DS? The fact that Microsoft has to compete with everyone is why you don't see Google on Windows Phone 7, but you will find it on iPhone and iPads.

It's also why Ballmer wants to stomp on his employees' iPhones. He's just pissed it took off in popularity.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #116 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post

I was ski-ing last season in the French Alps and hocked up with a nice bunch of people ... one day we stopped to have lunch and to chill out and chat ... The conversation turned to our day jobs and what we all did to fund our ski holidays ... A lovely young girl from the UK had just landed a new job with the Bill Gates Foundation and we were all slightly envious as she told us she was flying out to Seattle after the holiday to meet her new colleagues and start her new job .... Being a mac guy I was really interested in this story ... How lovely to be employed in a job where you are helping to spend Bill's money! .... The best was yet to come though .... 'One thing I was really surprised about though she said' ... ''The guys from Bill's office rang me and asked me what kind of mac I wanted? ''

This is a true story ...

Many non-profits I know use Macs. So this is quite believable.
post #117 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I wouldn't read too much into his public demeanor, especially recently as he's aged and apparently mellowed. His tantrum-throwing episodes at Microsoft are legendary. Modesty also doesn't fit into the Gates profile. He's well known to generally think of himself as being the smartest person in any given room, with all that implies. I don't hate the man for any of this, I just mention it for perspective. Surface appearances aside, I don't think he's any more personable than, say, Steve Jobs.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #118 of 127
I was waiting for the Melinda story to show up.

If the Gates family had Apple products in their home, fanboys would be hooting it up at MS's expense as a self-justifying data point about Apple, regardless. MS/Gates can't win either way, because much of the attitude here doesn't allow it. This is why I've always preferred AI stop with the troll food stories.
post #119 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Yes, i have used a Zune HD, and I threw it away after a week...what a feeble ipod knock off. The UI is horrible...everythign scrolls off the screen to the right. the Zune Marketplace software crashed several times and there are next to no apps for it. the audio quality is sup par. Everytime i used it i thought about my iPhone and my old ipod. After a week, i could not stand it, and i bought i new ipod touch to complement my iphone 4.

Alls your post tells me is you work for Microsoft or one of their "partners".

There's a 30 day return policy, and you threw it away?! I find this hard to believe.
post #120 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Does he still have a Mac in his office, at least? (Look over his shoulder.)

This is so nostalgic! Thanks for bringing back some memories !
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: No Apple products in Gates household; iPad in Hollywood; lawsuit update