or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sad Commentary on Apple Service
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sad Commentary on Apple Service

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Posted to Apple and to Mr. Jobs:

Sorry to have to bother you with this. Below is a sad perspective of the goings on at the front lines. Please get this addressed.

Respectfully,
A Mac user from '82:

There has been a new development on this issue. After trying for two years to get me.com to act like .mac with it's Homepage after you killed it, I finally blew a fuse when one of your folks hung up on me during my last failed attempt.

A Third Party Mac App developer provided not only the answer and major fix to the original issue, but showed me that the method I was using, as your staff were unwilling/unable to correct, was wrong. This last part bears directly upon this particular problem. The Forbes Folder I was trying unsuccessfully to put into iDisk/Sites actually needed to go into the Web Folder. It was successfully loaded there, by the Third Party App, and replaced several times with updates as I was creating them.

To boot, the Third Party App provided the actual homepage URL your folks weren't capable/willing to provide and here it is after all this time:

http://web.me.com/patrickforbes/index.html

There are still two (2) outstanding problems with that original issue, but the very last fella I spoke with @ Apple may just have found possible fixes for them. I await a CD via snail mail containing some 'Magic'.

The Sites Folder Loading, Issue 122515119, still may be a problem needing a fix, but I now can't see any use for it in my environment. Now that my "Homepage' is somewhat resurrected from the apparent dead, I'm back on track with the change to me.com.

Am extremely disappointed with the total ineptitude, poor attitude, apparent incompetence and complete unwillingness of a large majority of Apple/Mac/Me folks I've been stuck dealing with since the moment .mac was bestowed with its death sentence to assist me. I was absolutely blown away by the buck shuffling they adamantly insisted upon which did nothing but to raise my blood pressure. At my age, that is not a suggested course of action, not if you want any more Mac sales from me. This sea change with Apple Assistance seems to have begun about three years ago and is getting worse. Even my friends/relatives I've steered your way have noticed and commented. I'm finding it more and more difficult to defend you now.

And a Third Party App Developer did it! That speaks VOLUMES. Now I have lost a good deal of confidence in Apple Help and will now be turning elsewhere for Mac App assistance.

HOWEVER, I must give credit where credit is quite due. You, in this thread, and the fella I spoke to a day or so ago who is sending me a secret fix with no promises. Its the optimism I got from him and am looking forward to seeing this proposed fix.

You two have kept me loyal. My Mac environment has resulted in Mac purchases by friends, coworkers and relatives amounting to the upper 5 digits. You can't buy that kind of publicity. On a negative note, should this entire problem have gotten flushed, the Internet is there for me to vent and no one can un-ring THAT bell.

My next step would have been to dump Mac OS and Linuxize my PowerBook, iMac and iPod. I work with a super Linux Guru who's done it. That is the very last resort.

Thank you,

Patrick
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

You, in this thread, and the fella I spoke to a day or so ago who is sending me a secret fix with no promises. Its the optimism I got from him and am looking forward to seeing this proposed fix.

You two have kept me loyal.

Are you on the right forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

My Mac environment has resulted in Mac purchases by friends, coworkers and relatives amounting to the upper 5 digits. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

I'm pretty sure Apple can:

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/...google_adwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

My next step would have been to dump Mac OS and Linuxize my PowerBook, iMac and iPod. I work with a super Linux Guru who's done it. That is the very last resort.

If it's the last resort, why even mention it?

At the end of the day, if you can't get a web page to work in two years when others manage it just fine, you either hire someone who knows what they are doing or you don't bother. What you shouldn't do is complain at anyone and everyone that it's their problem.
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

At the end of the day, if you can't get a web page to work in two years when others manage it just fine, you either hire someone who knows what they are doing or you don't bother. What you shouldn't do is complain at anyone and everyone that it's their problem.

I would have said this, but I wasn't sure if it was kosher. Good to have a moderator's approval.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

<lots of unnecessary heartache>

Gee, my .mac pages all got sent over to the Web folder of my iDisk just like Apple said they would. ALL the relative links worked just like they did before.

All I needed to do was click "Visit" on the homepage's preview in the iDisk browser and I have the URL for my website. It looks exactly the same and it has stuff that's almost 7 years old as well as newer stuff.

Why make anything more complicated than that? I'm going to guess either you were a VERY rare case where something didn't copy over correctly, or that you did something unintentionally that caused the copied over pages to go away. At that latter point I'm not sure what the Apple folks were supposed to do. If it was the former case Apple should have just needed to do a simple file recovery. Either way, none of it would have needed to be anywhere near as complicated as you made it into.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

...

Respectfully,
A Mac user from '82:

...

How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that there were no Macs in 1982?
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that there were no Macs in 1982?

Likely an Apple ][ user, then. Good to see someone who grew up on the same equipment.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Are you on the right forum?



I'm pretty sure Apple can:

http://www.maclife.com/article/news/...google_adwords



If it's the last resort, why even mention it?

At the end of the day, if you can't get a web page to work in two years when others manage it just fine, you either hire someone who knows what they are doing or you don't bother. What you shouldn't do is complain at anyone and everyone that it's their problem.

1- Right Forum? Probably not, but needed to vent somewhere.

2- No they can't.

3- I'm not a 'Developer' nor do I work code. I just use Apps and Yes, I needed to complain about Poor Customer Service "Somewhere".
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would have said this, but I wasn't sure if it was kosher. Good to have a moderator's approval.

I don't work 'Code' nor am I a 'developer'. I just use tools to do thing I wish to do. When an App provider can't provide proper Customer Support for their product, the Web needs to hear about it. Don't you think?
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Gee, my .mac pages all got sent over to the Web folder of my iDisk just like Apple said they would. ALL the relative links worked just like they did before.

All I needed to do was click "Visit" on the homepage's preview in the iDisk browser and I have the URL for my website. It looks exactly the same and it has stuff that's almost 7 years old as well as newer stuff.

Why make anything more complicated than that? I'm going to guess either you were a VERY rare case where something didn't copy over correctly, or that you did something unintentionally that caused the copied over pages to go away. At that latter point I'm not sure what the Apple folks were supposed to do. If it was the former case Apple should have just needed to do a simple file recovery. Either way, none of it would have needed to be anywhere near as complicated as you made it into.

You're absolutely right. None of this should have happened. It started when Apple killed my .Mac and I asked how to migrate my site to me. Everything went south from there. That's why the time was so prolonged. Reunion found the defect and solved the problem that Apple refused to.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

How do you reconcile this statement with the fact that there were no Macs in 1982?

Sorry, it was my cousin's Apple II and its app about flying fighter jets in '82 that hooked me on Apple's stuff. Should have been more precise. I finally caved and bought my first Apple, a Mac Performa, in '95 which I still miss for it's hardware and a few of it's apps that have since died. I donated it to a Winnipeg school wanting to expand while staying uniform.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Likely an Apple ][ user, then. Good to see someone who grew up on the same equipment.

After seeing and using my Cousin's Apple II in '82, I got stuck at work with a Tandy 104 and a Zenith dual floppy later that made me yearn for an Apple. I finally caved and bought a Performa in '95 which I still terrible miss. I'm now into my 7th Mac and headed to 8 and 9 .
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

You're absolutely right. None of this should have happened. It started when Apple killed my .Mac and I asked how to migrate my site to me. Everything went south from there. That's why the time was so prolonged. Reunion found the defect and solved the problem that Apple refused to.

But you didn't have to do anything to migrate your site. It was all explained ahead of time that Apple would do this as part of the .mac homepage functionality being put down.

And I doubt Reunion actually did anything. You probably finally pointed it at the right MobileMe iDisk directory and it just displayed the URL of that path. It's kinda hard to remove a physical file location defect if there wasn't one to begin with.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

But you didn't have to do anything to migrate your site. It was all explained ahead of time that Apple would do this as part of the .mac homepage functionality being put down.

And I doubt Reunion actually did anything. You probably finally pointed it at the right MobileMe iDisk directory and it just displayed the URL of that path. It's kinda hard to remove a physical file location defect if there wasn't one to begin with.

That's where the problem began. They DIDN'T explain the details on the 'how' it was to happen.

No, Reunion new how to do it. I just found the single button that did it all by itself. No config, prefs, nothing. Just hit the iDisk button. Their Manual showed me where the button was.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

That's where the problem began. They DIDN'T explain the details on the 'how' it was to happen.

No, Reunion new how to do it. I just found the single button that did it all by itself. No config, prefs, nothing. Just hit the iDisk button. Their Manual showed me where the button was.

Apple explained twice in notification emails, once about 4 months ago and another last month. And the fact that Reunion knew how to do it just by hitting the iDisk button proved Apple did exactly what it told you it would do.

I have a hard time providing sympathy for a PEBCAK "I don't have time to read my emails" problem. It only gets worse when you could have Google'd "mobileMe homepage" and this was the first page MobileMe: .Mac HomePage Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) with

Quote:
Will my content be deleted after November 8, 2010?

No. All of your content is still on your iDisk and can be accessed by going to me.com/idisk and clicking Home in the sidebar. The HTML files that make up your site can be found in the Sites folder, and any pictures or movies you have used for your pages can be found in the Pictures and Movies folders respectively. You must remain an active MobileMe member to access your iDisk.

Which happens to be the same text in the .Mac Homepage closing emails.

The Apple reps were thoroughly confused because you were complaining about a problem that didn't exist! We can only imagine your description of the issue, and what they could have been thinking in response.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Apple explained twice in notification emails, once about 4 months ago and another last month. And the fact that Reunion knew how to do it just by hitting the iDisk button proved Apple did exactly what it told you it would do.

I have a hard time providing sympathy for a PEBCAK "I don't have time to read my emails" problem. It only gets worse when you could have Google'd "mobileMe homepage" and this was the first page MobileMe: .Mac HomePage Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) with



Which happens to be the same text in the .Mac Homepage closing emails.

The Apple reps were thoroughly confused because you were complaining about a problem that didn't exist! We can only imagine your description of the issue, and what they could have been thinking in response.


No, they did not explain it in a fashion that a non-code reader/writer could understand. As just an App user, I need Step-by-Step, clear and detailed instructions and expected them. They were not provided. Hence the battle with Apple (un)support.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pforbes View Post

No, they did not explain it in a fashion that a non-code reader/writer could understand. As just an App user, I need Step-by-Step, clear and detailed instructions and expected them. They were not provided. Hence the battle with Apple (un)support.

My Gawd Man. I quoted the current FAQ, which is exactly what was linked in those emails, all the way back to April 9, 2009. The text never changed! In the follow on emails or in the FAQ. It's also got to be the starting point the Apple reps were working from (I bet this FAQ is even why the Reunion programmers knew what to do when you couldn't figure it out). If the text

Quote:
All of your content is still on your iDisk and can be accessed by going to me.com/idisk and clicking Home in the sidebar. The HTML files that make up your site can be found in the Sites folder, and any pictures or movies you have used for your pages can be found in the Pictures and Movies folders respectively. You must remain an active MobileMe member to access your iDisk.

isn't crystal clear to you, nothing is. Therefore, I can see EXACTLY why the Apple reps couldn't help you.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

My Gawd Man. I quoted the current FAQ, which is exactly what was linked in those emails, all the way back to April 9, 2009. The text never changed! In the follow on emails or in the FAQ. It's also got to be the starting point the Apple reps were working from (I bet this FAQ is even why the Reunion programmers knew what to do when you couldn't figure it out). If the text



isn't crystal clear to you, nothing is. Therefore, I can see EXACTLY why the Apple reps couldn't help you.

Please take the time (sorry) to read this. Don't just skim it.

I think I need to correct a few of the responses from several respondents to my original post. I may not have detailed all my efforts over the years enough but needed to save space and get the main point across. Which was that Apple let me down (for marketing reasons) and Reunion came to the rescue.

NONE of the Apple/Mac iDisk help/knowledge/faq's provided ANY information about the iDisk/Web folder. Reunion did because they knew how iWeb works. See below.

Only iDisk/Web/Sites folder has an actually functional URL permitting anyone to go DIRECTLY to my Web Site with ONE CLICK as created and quite successfully published by Reunion. Any other method looking into the iDisk/Sites or iDisk/Public folders only provides a Finder View of the folder files and viewers are forced to fish around for the index.htm that starts the Web Site.

My old .mac Homepage for which I pay, and have been for many years, $100+/year, thanks to it's perceived Mac prestige, provided an actual URL along with a Password entry option that I enabled. The URL Reunion provided in it's publishing process opens the .me Web Site DIRECTLY with ONE click only. Apple has refused to provide that little bit of assistance and still won't probably until I buy their iWeb.

The password option to iDisk/Web/Sites/index.htm is now gone with no subscription payment reduction. The other folders have the password option but NOT iDisk/Web/Sites.
What they are doing by denying me that info is trying to get me to pay extra to get iWeb where they say I can get my Password option back. Cool eh.

One of the TWO (yes, two) Apple folks that did manage to provide excellent information informed me that my particular Powerbook predated iWeb by only a few months. That is why it's not on my machine. No prior Apple person bothered to investigate why I didn't have their iWeb despite their insistence that I was supposed to have it.

The legal issues: I pay for .mac which HAD Homepage and a password. They took it away without providing the CORRECT info on it's alternative (iDisk/Web/Sites...) (Reunion found it for me) AND no password. They require me to PURCHASE iWeb ($90) to get the password option back.

This is where I shall finally end this thread. If there are still those who don't get the gist of this, I cannot help them other than to encourage them to read my entire thread more carefully than just 'skimming' it.

Apple search engine failed to find ANY reference to iDisk/Web usage or access. That reinforces the fact that they want me to BUY iWeb.

Your info:

What was .Mac HomePage?
.Mac HomePage was a feature of the .Mac service that allowed users to publish web pages using their .Mac account.

When was the .Mac HomePage application discontinued?
The HomePage web application was discontinued on July 7, 2009. As of that date, members were unable to create new pages or edit pages they had already published.

What should I use for creating my own website?
iWeb (part of iLife 08 or later) comes with your Mac and enables you to create a custom website and publish it directly to MobileMe. iWeb provides Apple-designed templates for creating photo pages, blogs, travel sites, and more. Please read this article for instructions on moving HomePage movies to iWeb.

I published content to homepage.mac.com using my own HTML editor and my content is located in the Sites folder of my iDisk. Do I need to do anything?
Content within the Sites folder of your iDisk will still be available for viewing on the web and can still be edited with an HTML editor. However, any website content stored in the Pictures, Movies, or Public folders of your iDisk will be unavailable in your web pages after November 8, 2010 (although a folder called Pictures within the Sites folder would continue to work). If your web pages reference content from any of those folders, you will need to move the content to your Sites folder and update your HTML accordingly. Can't. See above "When was the .Mac HomePage application discontinued?"

Can I still delete my published pages?
Yes, you can delete the published pages from the Sites folder in your iDisk. The website address for a page you want to delete might look like:
http://homepage.mac.com/membername/PhotoAlbum1.html
To delete this page, go to me.com/idisk and open the Sites folder.*Locate the file (named "PhotoAlbum1.html" in the above example) and delete it.* That will remove the page, and you and others will no longer be able to visit the page. Can't. See above "When was the .Mac HomePage application discontinued?"

from:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2049

No mention of iDisk/Web folder Web Access here either:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...mfbe80fed.html

What I was sent. Note the iWeb reference AGAIN:

MobileMe members who have published web pages using iWeb will not be affected by this change. If you have used other software to publish web content to MobileMe or .Mac, or have questions about this change, please read this FAQ.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Sad Commentary on Apple Service