or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Steve says: Screen Lock Switch is Gone for Good!

Steve says: Screen Lock Switch is Gone for Good!

post #1 of 8
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...screen-switch/

Not sure if this qualifies as hardware or software.

Steve must be loosing his mind. I hate when I am trying to read a book or look at a movie and the screen starts flipping around because I accidentally move my hand the wrong way. I liked the screen lock and I keep it on most of the time. I don't want my screen flipping every which way while I am trying to read something just because I tilt my hand a little. Apparently, they want to turn it into a mute button. I'm like why? There is already volume controls right under the screen lock. I think I'll just stick with my iOS 3.2 for Ipad. I liked the screen lock personally. Sorry if this is already posted. I need a way to lock my screen in landscape mode or portrait mode without having to leave the app i am in to get to that mode. Sheeesh!
post #2 of 8
Yep. Completely pointless. No one needs mute when you can hold down for a second. I loved my orientation lock before this stupid 4.2 beta. Just one more reason to jailbreak.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Completely pointless. No one needs mute when you can hold down for a second. I loved my orientation lock before this stupid 4.2 beta. Just one more reason to jailbreak.

The software screen lock works great and it's easy to access.
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The software screen lock works great and it's easy to access.

Swipe, tap, tap, tap, tap, double-click, swipe, tap.

Vs.

Click.

Oh, yeah. REALLY easy to access. And "works great"? What, did you expect it to not work? Come on; stop trying to cover for this idiotic decision.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Swipe, tap, tap, tap, tap, double-click, swipe, tap.

Vs.

Click.

Oh, yeah. REALLY easy to access. And "works great"? What, did you expect it to not work? Come on; stop trying to cover for this idiotic decision.

What are you talking about? Software screen lock (with iOS 4) is:

Double-click (to open the tray) - swipe (to show the controls) - tap (to toggle orientation lock) - tap (to resume your app). That's four steps. Far fewer than the eight you cite.

That's it.

Maybe you're forgetting that iOS 4 for iPad will be out within a month.

And seriously, it's not like you need easy access to turn it on and off all the time. You set it once and only turn it off when you need screen rotation. I access turning on and off wifi far more often than that. Why isn't there a hardware wifi switch then?
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...OS 4 for Ipad.

Not sure if this qualifies as hardware or software.

Steve must be loosing his mind. I hate when I am trying to read a book or look at a movie and the screen starts flipping around because I accidentally move my hand the wrong way. I liked the screen lock and I keep it on most of the time. I don't want my screen flipping every which way while I am trying to read something just because I tilt my hand a little. Apparently, they want to turn it into a mute button. I'm like why? There is already volume controls right under the screen lock. I think I'll just stick with my iOS 3.2 for Ipad. I liked the screen lock personally. Sorry if this is already posted. I need a way to lock my screen in landscape mode or portrait mode without having to leave the app i am in to get to that mode. Sheeesh!

You won't have to exit any app to open the tray, from where you can access the control. Ever. Even those that are not OS 4 compliant.
post #7 of 8
Quote:

Double-click (to open the tray) - swipe (to show the controls) - tap (to toggle orientation lock) - tap (to resume your app). That's four steps. Far fewer than the eight you cite.

Oh, yeah. That helps your case.

Quote:
Maybe you're forgetting that iOS 4 for iPad will be out within a month.

I have it now. What point are you trying to make, really?

Quote:
And seriously, it's not like you need easy access to turn it on and off all the time.

I love that you think you can presume to tell me when I need a feature. It's great.

Quote:
You set it once and only turn it off when you need screen rotation.

Which is quite often.

Quote:
I access turning on and off wifi far more often than that. Why isn't there a hardware wifi switch then?

What do you do that requires you to turn off Wi-Fi this often?

post #8 of 8
Quote:

And that's better than one switch?

Quote:

And seriously, it's not like you need easy access to turn it on and off all the time. You set it once and only turn it off when you need screen rotation. I access turning on and off wifi far more often than that. Why isn't there a hardware wifi switch then?

Wrong, I change screen orientation quite often. Especially when reading. Most of what I read is in portrait but a lot is best read in landscape. Plus many apps work best in one orientation (Angry Birds) or the other. I normally keep screen lock off and switch it on when I need it. I agree, this is a bad move by Apple.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Steve says: Screen Lock Switch is Gone for Good!