or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo - Page 3

post #81 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Er...Finger Works?

Yeah, and then you have all the suggestions that Apple should buy Adobe and kill off their Windows products.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #82 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Hearsay from a biased source. Wow. How many times will we hear from whiners who can't separate fact from hearsay, who would rather believe the worst of someone, especially someone an order of magnitude more successful and well-known. This continuing morbid fascination with the personality of Steve Jobs, known for his intensity and directness, is really rather silly. How in fact did you get to "narcissistic personality"? And as compared to whom? What CEO is not driven, direct and intense? Know any personally in the Fortune 10? 100? 500? You sound more "trapped" than committed. Perhaps a change is in order, because I can deduce from your comments that you would rather deal with the "quality control" of say Dell, or Acer or HP - who have much better QC than Apple. Don't they? So how about some tolerance for diversity in personality? How about lauding the personalities that drive innovation (not worship, just laud) and chuckle with a knowing wink when the Gateses, the Ballmerses, the Jobses, Schmidtses and so on demonstrate a little personality and intensity. Even when it is most rumor and innuendo.

It's easy to 'chuckle' when you're not one of the people working there under such conditions. It's easy to attribute such behavior to "drive" and "genius" when talking about a few individuals that you can count on half a hand. But let's see how people will like it if every manager at every company starts acting like a pissed off Jobs or a raging Balmer. How long before such behavior becomes tiresome? Instead of just managers, how about we let every employee in every business start acting like that? After all, shouldn't people aspire to "greatness"?

And as a pop culture reference, how many people still enjoy watching House after 3 seasons, and haven't been completely turned off by that character?
post #83 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

In your opinion.

In fact Apple sold a lot more Macs in the time frame than Microsoft has sold Xbox.

Lots of the early adopters of Xbox bought it for Halo, do you think they may have bought Macs instead maybe?

Your assumptions are a bit of a stretch.

Not all Macs or Xboxes were sold for the single purpose of playing Halo. Definitely not all Macs were bought to play games at all. I don't know how many "Lots" are, but I doubt as many people would buy a $1000 computer vs a $300 gaming console for a single game.

Halo just worked out great on Xbox, more-so than it would have on a Mac. You can't possibly try to sell me on this idea that the Mac version would have done just as well. That's completely idiotic, to be honest with you.
post #84 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Oh couldn't agree more. As we all know, Halo struggled on the unsuccessful XBOX Platform. It could of been a major success on the Powerhouse Gaming Platform, the Mac!!

Thanks again for your well thought out and intelligent post!!!

Except when compared to the XBox the Mac IS a far better gaming platform. When you see a game developed properly using OpenGL then have that game play on Windows and Macs then you see the Mac, even with lesser specs, actually out performs the PC.

The XBox is a complete waste of PPC processors and proof that Microsoft doesn't have a clue. Sure Halo did well on the platform but in reality it was only due to the licensing deal with Microsoft who only made the game for XBox. People didn't play it on the Mac because they already played it to death on the XBox so shelling out more money for it later on down the track doesn't make sense.

That being said Halo sucks balls. What the hell is everyone on about thinking it's a great game? It's a steaming pile of dog turds.
post #85 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwildman View Post

good on you jobs. He should be allowed to do that make a good game then let a Microsoft take over. bungie you have fail so bad if you stayed on you will be making lots more money.

You're right, Halo turned out to be a complete failure on the Xbox, a gaming machine. It would have been so much more successful on the Mac, a platform well known for its gaming community.
post #86 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

STOP SPELLING "Mac" IN ALL CAPS!!

Perhaps the poster MEANT to EMPHASIZE the word MAC as opposed to say PC - by using all caps to as you might stress the word in speech - yes I MEANT to say MAC.
post #87 of 130
Also, we all know that if this story was reversed, you know, Apple buying out some developer that was committing to be releasing a game for Windows, every comment here would be exactly the opposite. How Apple "made the developer better," how the developer made the right choice being bought by Apple, how the games did so much better on the Mac than on Windows, etc.

Remember, it's always sunshine and rainbows when Apple buys out a developer, but gloom and doom when Microsoft buys out a developer. Never change.
post #88 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Except when compared to the XBox the Mac IS a far better gaming platform. When you see a game developed properly using OpenGL then have that game play on Windows and Macs then you see the Mac, even with lesser specs, actually out performs the PC.

The XBox is a complete waste of PPC processors and proof that Microsoft doesn't have a clue. Sure Halo did well on the platform but in reality it was only due to the licensing deal with Microsoft who only made the game for XBox. People didn't play it on the Mac because they already played it to death on the XBox so shelling out more money for it later on down the track doesn't make sense.

That being said Halo sucks balls. What the hell is everyone on about thinking it's a great game? It's a steaming pile of dog turds.

KEY PHRASE: "When developed properly."

Also, you only dislike Halo because it was released on the Xbox. You know that had the exact same game been released on a Mac first, you'd be praising it as one of the best and most original games of all time.
post #89 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's most definitely true. It was one of the most egregious examples of poaching in the industry.

The first anyone heard of Halo, was when Steve Jobs introduced it on stage at an Apple event. It stunned the crowd because at the time it was beyond leading edge graphics and so forth. He finished the announcement with a statement that it was coming "exclusively to the mac" in the near future.

You don't get any closer to a "done deal" than that, but then Microsoft bought them out from underneath Apple for the express purpose of shutting Apple out.

It was a very dirty deal IMO. I'm not sure who's most at fault, Bungie or Microsoft, but someone (probably lots of someones) seriously compromised their morals with this deal.


How exactly do you figure it was a dirty deal? Microsoft needed a flagship product for their XBOX they offered to buy Bungie and Bungie accepted. No different than Nintendo buying Rare years earlier...
post #90 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Microsoft managed to bring that game to far more people than it would have seen on a Mac.

Exactly. The Mac does not currently have and will never have the market share that Windows has. Anyone who claims otherwise is completely ignorant of the truth. Had Halo been released either exclusively on the Mac or been on the Mac platform first, it wouldn't have gotten nearly the exposure it ultimately did on the Xbox or PC, and that's a fact. It's not inherently a good or bad fact, it's just the truth: The Mac install base is nowhere near the Windows install base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Get over it.

Exactly. Is this site really bringing up a story that would have taken place more than a decade ago? Guess what? Halo made its way on the Mac anyway, end of story. In the end, the game got more exposure by being available on multiple platforms, and that's only a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

and where is the Apple Pippin2?

Unless Apple is developing a home console, I don't know what company is gonna write a AAA game made only for the Mac.

And once again, spot on. Developers go where the money is, and there's a lot more money to made developing games for the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 then there is for the App Store, where Apple has to manually approve every game and most apps are quite simple in nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue27 View Post

Steve making an angry call to Microsoft over the Bungie buyout was common news 10 years ago. Why is it being posted today?

Because obviously the fanboys on this site didn't get enough relevant articles today that worship Steve Jobs and Apple so they needed another one. Expect an article tomorrow about Steve Jobs that took place 50 years ago.
post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

How exactly do you figure it was a dirty deal? Microsoft needed a flagship product for their XBOX they offered to buy Bungie and Bungie accepted. No different than Nintendo buying Rare years earlier...

Remember the site you're on. When Microsoft makes a deal to a developer and they accept, it's a terrible, horrible thing. When Apple does exactly the same thing, it's the most wonderful act ever accomplished by humanity.
post #92 of 130
And in other news the widow of Abraham Lincoln was also upset when her husband was murdered in cold blood... Sorry but I'm not seeing this as news...
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #93 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

How many times will we hear about Steve's kurt and inappropriate comments? Is it not enough to be leading one of the highest valued companies? His narcissistic personality was old last century and I can only hope that his "handlers" would get a tighter rein on him. I love their products even though many of them have had to be replaced because of poor quality control. But I am committed to the system and going over to a PC would be counterproductive. So, how about a little more innovation and a little less conversation.

Oh, come on, don't be a little priss. BULLETIN: when any of these guys gets the wool pulled on them, they shout and scream, all of them. If you're so afraid of Daddy, go to therapy.
post #94 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Perhaps the poster MEANT to EMPHASIZE the word MAC as opposed to say PC - by using all caps to as you might stress the word in speech - yes I MEANT to say MAC.

MAC is the MAC address. Mac is short for Macintosh.
post #95 of 130
Apple were to blame 100% for that disastrous acquisition.

Their lack of support for gaming has always been lamentable. Game Sprockets being the last faltering gesture toward game development on the Mac. Apple blew it completely with OS X and Jobs was behind that management decision.

Even today there is no commitment to the latest GPU technology/drivers or a concerted financial incentive to entice game developers to use OpenGL instead of MS DirectX which would make their games far more platform agnostic.

Just stick to your pretty wee toys Steve. Let MS do what it always does best, support developers, developers, developers.

It's all well and good bragging about the number of developers coding for Apple products but how many of the current innovative indie (like Bungie was in its heyday) or AAA games developers are showing any interest in the Mac?

You're wallowing in cash and some of that could be earmarked for a seriously dedicated Apple Mac gaming division.

Rant off.
post #96 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

how many of the current innovative indie (like Bungie was in its heyday) or AAA games developers are showing any interest in the Mac?

Valve. That's all that matters. Steam's the key to the future of gaming on the Mac. It's only one step, but it's about as good a first step as anyone could have imagined.

Also, force fricking nVidia and AMD to use EFI on their cards and THEN maybe we'd have a larger base.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #97 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Valve. That's all that matters. Steam's the key to the future of gaming on the Mac. It's only one step, but it's about as good a first step as anyone could have imagined.

Also, force fricking nVidia and AMD to use EFI on their cards and THEN maybe we'd have a larger base.

Valve is a start. Good as some of them are, it is still only bringing ages old games to the Mac. I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming. Apparently iToy gaming took Apple by surprise. But anyone who follows gaming knows how big a driving force it is in consumer consciousness. I've known 100's and 100's of people who would have preferred a Mac over a PC if Apple had supported gaming. I'm just one Mac user, we all know PC home users who fire that specific arrow at Apple's Achilles heel.

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

There's probably some sort of deal struck that ensures Apple continues to use Intel CPU's so long as Intel keeps EFI from replacing BIOS in the wider PC market. Apple would hate to see OS X so accessible to Hackintoshists.
post #98 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Are we sure this story is accurate? All the junk I've read on the web over the decades is that Steve Jobs has been extraordinarily anti-game on the Mac platform. He wanted the Mac to be treated as a serious business machine (for the rest of us?). Hard to believe he'd then have a fit when a gaming vendor left the platform. Then again, he's supposedly a fairly mercurial personality.

On the other hand, it may not have been about games at all. Maybe he just took the whole incident personally, talking up Bungie on stage at Macworld only to see them snatched away by MS.
post #99 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

And being on the Blu-ray association's board of directors, doesn't Apple have some responsibility to promote Blu-ray?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html
post #100 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Who are you talking about
The only ones crying today are Microsoft and Bungie.
Certainly not Apple.

How is Bungie crying? Seriously? They're doing QUITE well. They're now a part of Activision (that's another topic of it's own), and they're developing a NEW IP.

Also, a LOT of you seem to have selective memory. The BIG thing about Halo was that it was not the FPS that everyone knows of today UNTIL Bungie began developing on the XBox. At the time, it was primarily being seen as a third person shooter. Before that? Halo was a real-time strategy.

All of the success that Bungie had on Halo as we know it today DID NOT OCCUR until it was being developed on the XBox.

w00master
post #101 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And being on the Blu-ray association's board of directors, doesn't Apple have some responsibility to promote Blu-ray?

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

I've never been convinced by Blu-ray on home PC's. The HDTV standard isn'tand now there's bloody nonsense 3D to contend with! TV's come in all resolutions. I think dedicated Blu-ray players, coupled with 720 streaming, is the way ahead (for the foreseeable future).

People gladly accept MP3 and AAC for audio, and, though part of a whole, human ears are less easily deceived than eyes. I've watched HD and conventional versions of the same film and HD made not the slightest difference to the quality of the film.

I do believe it would have been a bag of hurt but I also think that whilst I believe it was not right for home computers, Apple should have made it an option. BTO, you'd pay more, but you'd get what you want and not what Steve thinks you ought to have.

I still think it ironic that Steve thinks its alright for him to replace and upgrade bits of his body but refuses Mac customers the same privileges with their computers. Just what would he have done if he'd had to choose between hospitals run by Apple, MS or Google?
post #102 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Back in 2000 Apple was hardly flush with cash, "one of the highest valued companies", or in a position to buy Bungie as others have suggested. In fact I think it tended to still have "beleaguered" next to its name whenever a journalist wrote about it. Jobs is leading "one of the highest valued companies" because he MADE it one of the highest valued companies, and that was in no small part because of his in-your-face attitude, so I'd cut him a little slack there.

Although Bungie is now independent, Microsoft owns all the Halo-related IP so there's no point in acquiring them to "get back" at Microsoft? Bungie can rot for all I care.


precisely.

back in 2000, Apple stock was a mere $25 a share, split and dropped down as low as $7.44, and i was marveling over the dual processor G4 500 mhz machines in my alma mater's lab... they were hardly a company considered worth staying in business, let alone one that could attempt to buy a success such as Bungie. I cannot fault Bungie for taking their payday.


http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=A...urce=undefined
post #103 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I've never been convinced by Blu-ray on home PC's. The HDTV standard isn'tand now there's bloody nonsense 3D to contend with! TV's come in all resolutions. I think dedicated Blu-ray players, coupled with 720 streaming, is the way ahead (for the foreseeable future).
I do believe it would have been a bag of hurt but I also think that whilst I believe it was not right for home computers, Apple should have made it an option. BTO, you'd pay more, but you'd get what you want and not what Steve thinks you ought to have.

You spend the whole post making the case for not having Blu-Ray on a home computer .... but then criticize Apple for not having the option? Jeeze Louise .... Nothing personal, but I don't get that ... I really don't.
As you stated, the option exists ... a stand alone player! Apple is known for being a minimalist ... in design especially. They are not like "the others" where they try to be everything to everybody. What they do ... they do well. IMO we should embrace that philosophy ... it's working.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #104 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming

Jobs doesn't understand gaming. It's kind of funny because he is such a genius with what people want out of their devices, but then as soon as it comes to gaming... poof! the man is clueless.

It's crazy that it's taken them 3 years to release the piece of crap that is Game Centre.

They should...
  • Buy out Open Feint and re-release Game Centre as a decent social gaming platform, linked in to other existing social networks.
  • Buy out EA and Zynga and start hunting for more "up and coming" studios, and\\or do a bunch of smart hires and start up Apple Game Studios
  • Release another variation of Apple TV that can do games as well. Make it a cross between the PS3 and the Wii.
  • Tie it all together. Apple Game Studios and subsidiaries creating games across all platforms. All games sold through respective App Stores. Game Centre integrated across iDevices, Apple TV + gaming, Mac.
post #105 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Yes, please, it gives me goosebumps and makes you look like a complete tech illiterate.

For cryin' out loud ... relax. It's not like we're splitting the atom here!
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #106 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

KEY PHRASE: "When developed properly."

Also, you only dislike Halo because it was released on the Xbox. You know that had the exact same game been released on a Mac first, you'd be praising it as one of the best and most original games of all time.

No I wouldn't. I've played the Mac version and it's the same boring crap that FPS games all tend to be.

Pretty graphics a game do not make and Halo is proof of that. Half Life 2 however is the only FPS I've liked since Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on the N64. Halo is crap.
post #107 of 130
I've been a Mac user for 5 years now but I loved my XBOX and Halo. I use my Xbox 360 and Mac everyday. I for one am glad Microsoft bought Bungie all those years ago. Besides the only games I play on the computer are made by Blizzard and they support Mac so no problem there.
post #108 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This statement is way far overboard. For one thing, the antitrust suit against Microsoft was filed during the Clinton administration. That was quite a bit less than 20 years ago. Antitrust law enforcement was hardly decimated at that time. For another, it's hardly clear that Microsoft buying Bungie was any kind of antitrust law violation. In fact it's nothing more than a fantasy. Finally, we've had several thread full of cranky posts about the FTC's investigating claims against Apple, as though the entire capitalist system is under threat the moment the FTC even looks into a complaint. Sounds like we're experiencing a whole lot of wanting to have it both ways.

I'd suggest that you learn a little bit about antitrust laws. Your post demonstrated conclusively that you don't understand them a bit.

From Bush 1 to present, Antitrust prosecution has gotten steadily weaker - to the point that companies would have to take out a full page ad in the NYT admitting that they had conspired to set prices for any prosecution to occur.

The FTC complaints against Apple are irrelevant:
1. They are only complaints. There's still no evidence that the government would ever prosecute them.
2. They're completely unfounded - since Apple has a low single digit share of mobile phones and a 20 something percent share of smart phones. The entire premise of monopolizing a market with 25% share is absurd. THAT Is why there's so much fuss about the FTC complaints.

Microsoft acquiring Bungie was an entirely different story.

Microsoft had an overwhelming market position which had already been legally declared to be a monopoly and they were already being prosecuted for illegal abuse of that monopoly power. Then, Apple starts doing things right and has a partnership with Bungie that looks like a great step forward for the platform. Microsoft comes in and cuts them off at the knees by buying a key developer and shutting down the Mac version of the software.

If this had occurred 30-40 years ago, the DOJ would have been all over them. But with George ("I don't care what companies do as long as they're making money and contributing to the Republican Party") Bush 2, it was completely ignored - there wasn't even an investigation opened.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #109 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Valve is a start. Good as some of them are, it is still only bringing ages old games to the Mac. I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming. Apparently iToy gaming took Apple by surprise. But anyone who follows gaming knows how big a driving force it is in consumer consciousness. I've known 100's and 100's of people who would have preferred a Mac over a PC if Apple had supported gaming. I'm just one Mac user, we all know PC home users who fire that specific arrow at Apple's Achilles heel.

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

There's probably some sort of deal struck that ensures Apple continues to use Intel CPU's so long as Intel keeps EFI from replacing BIOS in the wider PC market. Apple would hate to see OS X so accessible to Hackintoshists.

EFI isn't gaining traction because of Windows not because Intel can't be bothered with it.

EFI support is in Windows 7 but not on any version of previous Windows and even then EFI is barely supported in Win7.

Game developers are lazy and have been for years so getting OpenGL support has to do with changing game developer's minds and most won't change until the people behind OpenGL prove that it's a better system than DirectX. Technically it's a far superior system but developers have been kludging DirectX for so long they don't know how to do anything else.

It takes companies like Valve to change people's minds so next year is going to be very interesting with NATIVE Mac games being released at the same time as PC games.

Jobs isn't the only person to blame for lack of games on Macs. Hell, the Amiga was the best gaming platform on the planet but game developers jumped ship to the PC despite being absolute crap for gaming all chasing the larger market for profits.

The fact that Mac gaming is more or less non-existent has nothing to do with Jobs but more to do with money hungry developers who like to fleece the most amount of people at once. I'm looking at you EA.
post #110 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

How many times will we hear about Steve's kurt and inappropriate comments? Is it not enough to be leading one of the highest valued companies? His narcissistic personality was old last century and I can only hope that his "handlers" would get a tighter rein on him. I love their products even though many of them have had to be replaced because of poor quality control. But I am committed to the system and going over to a PC would be counterproductive. So, how about a little more innovation and a little less conversation.

You sound so smug and silly.
All the second hand account says is that Jobs "was mad" and that he "raged" at Balmer. It doesn't say "out of control," "inappropriate," or "narcissistic." In fact Microsoft must have decided he had a point since they decided to do a deal with him. Your view of the hearsay account says more about your own view ofJobs than it does about Jobs' behavior. Your confidence in your grasp of the event belies a, dare I say, narcissistic world view.
post #111 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

Valve is a start. Good as some of them are, it is still only bringing ages old games to the Mac. I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming. Apparently iToy gaming took Apple by surprise. But anyone who follows gaming knows how big a driving force it is in consumer consciousness. I've known 100's and 100's of people who would have preferred a Mac over a PC if Apple had supported gaming. I'm just one Mac user, we all know PC home users who fire that specific arrow at Apple's Achilles heel.

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

There's probably some sort of deal struck that ensures Apple continues to use Intel CPU's so long as Intel keeps EFI from replacing BIOS in the wider PC market. Apple would hate to see OS X so accessible to Hackintoshists.

Apple doesn't need force EFI on any one. The industry BIOS leaders, Intel, AMD, Dell, IBM, Microsoft and more are moving towards it.
post #112 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I would argue that Steve's personality has helped to steer the company in the right direction. You need to make bold changes and not be afraid to upset a few people. Steve has it mastered.

Q: What do automotive repair, soybean farming, and the manufacture of processed cheese food have in common?

A: Those are the three industries Jobs hasn't pissed off this year.
post #113 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd suggest that you learn a little bit about antitrust laws. Your post demonstrated conclusively that you don't understand them a bit.

From Bush 1 to present, Antitrust prosecution has gotten steadily weaker - to the point that companies would have to take out a full page ad in the NYT admitting that they had conspired to set prices for any prosecution to occur.

As I said, a bad case of trying to have it both ways. You might stop to consider whether Apple even complained to regulatory authorities about the Bungie buyout. I know I can ask, but I'm sure you won't be be doing it. Because that might lead you to different conclusions about how the enforcement system works. The government almost never takes up an antitrust case without a competitive complaint. It has always been this way.

No, antitrust law enforcement has not gotten steadily weaker, and your ludicrous example goes a long way towards illustrating the weakness of your argument. You either have little concept of how antirust law works, or a very selective memory. Both, I suspect.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #114 of 130
LOL... this is ancient history. Besides, who's raging now? Hint: you don't see Steve Jobs stomping on his employees' iPhones

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #115 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Oh couldn't agree more. As we all know, Halo struggled on the unsuccessful XBOX Platform. It could of been a major success on the Powerhouse Gaming Platform, the Mac!!

I... don't think so. Although, I do think it was unfair for Microsoft to buy it and make it a Xbox & Windows exclusive when it was originally a cross-platform game.

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply

HP Omni 100-5100z, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; ASUS Transformer, 16GB, Android 4.0 ICS
Although I no longer own Apple products like I did before, I'll continue to post my opinions.

Reply
post #116 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

$51B in cash can buy a lot of revenge. Buy up every significant development firm and discontinue all of their PC development to focus on Mac and iOS development. Adobe, Intuit, game developers, etc. No PC Photoshop, Lightroom, Quicken... All PC users are left with are apps made by MS.

and kill gaming. Apple would have to start shipping a LOT better hardware to make that happen
post #117 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

No I wouldn't. I've played the Mac version and it's the same boring crap that FPS games all tend to be.

Pretty graphics a game do not make and Halo is proof of that. Half Life 2 however is the only FPS I've liked since Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on the N64. Halo is crap.

You're a dick and plenty of people disagree with you. Halo reach is the best game I have played in years
post #118 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

You're a dick and plenty of people disagree with you. Halo reach is the best game I have played in years

There's NOTHING new in it at all and I know heaps of people that disagree with you so the dick is you.

It's the same linear crap we've had for the last 20 years. When are people going to realise the gaming industry is boring? There is NO real innovations in gaming. All this power going straight into the graphics. Were's the amazing AI? Where's the unlimited landscapes? If you want to spend your money on the same game that was around 10 years ago only with better graphics then do so but for people with more discerning tastes we like to spend our money on titles that push platforms to their limits. That's why the iPad and iPhone as gaming consoles are so exciting. Real Racing pushed the limits of a phone and made us realise that portable gaming can be amazing.

I've spent more money on my iPhone and iPad than I have even spent on my DS Lite which I loved to death because the games were fun and immersive and held my attention.

Half Life 2 held my attention all the way to the end even though it's linear and tiring but it was fun and played well. Portal was also linear and had no real action but the puzzles gave it an amazing edge that made it fun and worthy of my attention. Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

N.O.V.A on the iPad is just stunning and while it's a prick to control it shows what the iPad can do and so I keep coming back to it.

Games need to be more than just pretty graphics, they have to blow you away with storylines and playability and humour and everything else that makes gaming fun. An awesome game with crap graphics kills a crap game with awesome game EVERY time.
post #119 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

Far be it from me to tell someone which games they should and shouldn't enjoy. Everyone has their own opinions.

However you should have learned in Posting about games in forums 101 that you don't call a game crap that you haven't played. It's bad netiquette.
post #120 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You spend the whole post making the case for not having Blu-Ray on a home computer .... but then criticize Apple for not having the option? Jeeze Louise .... Nothing personal, but I don't get that ... I really don't.
As you stated, the option exists ... a stand alone player! Apple is known for being a minimalist ... in design especially. They are not like "the others" where they try to be everything to everybody. What they do ... they do well. IMO we should embrace that philosophy ... it's working.

It's called choice. Apple is on the Blu-ray Board, FFS!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo