or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Broken charger

Broken charger

post #1 of 3
I have a 85W MagSafe Power Adapter. It came with a MacBook Pro I ordered 2 months ago. The charger stopped working a few days ago, although it did work from time to time depending on the position of the cord. Today, somehow the magnetic connector and wires inside got disconnected. Here is a picture. I always used the charger normally; it was not abused in any way, or caused by any accident. I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar at the local Apple store in 2 days. I should be entitled to a free replacement, covered by the warranty, correct? My concern is, they will view the damage as clear abuse of some kind. What should I do?

post #2 of 3
It depends on who you talk with. I've talked with 2 different people regarding the same issue and received completely different answers. My problem was with a cracked Macbook case.

As for your issue, probably won't hassle you too much, looks like a lousy job of assembly. If you don't get satisfaction with them, call the apple care line and see what they will do. Try being persistent, calling or going to the Genius Bar often.

Lastly, if neither of them replace it, try ebay or one of the online mac resellers. Sometimes you can find used/refurbished items with the resellers. I've used Other World Computing in the past and they seem pretty fair.
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fj00 View Post

I have a 85W MagSafe Power Adapter. It came with a MacBook Pro I ordered 2 months ago. The charger stopped working a few days ago, although it did work from time to time depending on the position of the cord. Today, somehow the magnetic connector and wires inside got disconnected. Here is a picture. I always used the charger normally; it was not abused in any way, or caused by any accident. I scheduled an appointment with the Genius Bar at the local Apple store in 2 days. I should be entitled to a free replacement, covered by the warranty, correct? My concern is, they will view the damage as clear abuse of some kind. What should I do?

This happened to me the charger was not working and they gave me a new one right away.You have no problem you are covered by a warranty policy from Apple. Good Luck
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Broken charger