or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What is the GOP going to do?

What is the GOP going to do?

post #1 of 12
At this point, it's safe to say that the GOP will control the House of Representatives. Right now, I think the odds of a Senate takeover are 30/70 or 40/60 against (though it's more than a remote possibility). The following discussion is based on the assumption they take one house.

I suppose the question then becomes: What can they do? Before I get flamed, let me make a disclaimer: I am not trying to play the expectations game here, so don't even start with that. I'm interested in what's actually possible and likely.

From what I've read, they plan to propose $100B in cuts right off the top. They may also have weekly spending cut proposals. A discussion on an immediate return to 2008 spending levels has been discussed as well. By the time Congress comes into session, I expect that at least most of the Bush tax cuts will have been renewed--but if not, they'll push that as well.

The big pieces...repealing Obamacare, major tax reform, social security reform, etc...I don't see how they get done even if they have both houses. They will lack a veto proof majority either way. I suppose the caveat would be how upset the Blue Dog Dems are with Obama and the party. If they peel them off as well, they may end up having a big enough majority to overcome any veto by Obama. I don't think it's likely, however.

In the end, I see them being to slow down things (spending, quasi-nationalization) through controlling the purse strings and committee chairmanships. They still won't be able to do much about the "Czar Republic" that governs by regulatory fiat through the Obama Administration.

Unfortunately, I think that both Obama and the GOP are going to try to get into "who's got a bigger set" contest by blaming each other for obstruction. Obama will try to run on Republican legislative obstruction in 2012. The GOP will try to run on Obama obstructing the will of the people as expressed by Congress. Who wins is anyone's guess, but it's going to be ugly. My hope is that enough will happen (or heck...NOT happen) to get the economy back on track and get the debt situation under control.

Your thoughts...
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 12
IMHO, with a split Congress, it will be hard to get anything done. More gridlock in DC. Not sure even if the Republicans will be united in the House. Don't think that the Republicans will get their agenda through either house. If the Dems control the Senate, they will not be able to get SB's through the House. Both Dems and Repubs will be focused on 2012, gaining a majority in both houses andon the WH.

無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #3 of 12

The same thing they do every day, Pinky - try to take over the world!
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #4 of 12

Be distracted from any matter of national interest by infighting with the factions and schisms of the Tea Party erupting in civil war and back-biting as the party implodes from within.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

IMHO, with a split Congress, it will be hard to get anything done. More gridlock in DC.

Ya think so?! I was getting worried that maybe not, but hopefully you are right.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Be distracted from any matter of national interest by infighting with the factions and schisms of the Tea Party erupting in civil war and back-biting as the party implodes from within.

You said it before I did! I was going to say splinter from the different factions. And yes they'll be too busy with their own agenda's.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #7 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You said it before I did! I was going to say splinter from the different factions. And yes they'll be too busy with their own agenda's.

IMO you're both demonstrating wishful thinking in your posts above.

I thought that might be the case a year or so ago. But now I don't see that happening (not that it won't....just that I don't see it right now). The Tea Party has aligned itself with the GOP. In fact, it seems to be helping to remake the GOP from the inside out. It's still possible, but right now the GOP seems to be cutting ties with wedge issues (god, guns, gays) and focusing exclusively on fiscal policy and national security. That is really what needs to happen with the party. At one point, it looked like the Tea Party folks might fracture the party. I think that has already happened to a degree, though...hence the primary victories. The GOP, for its part, was smart enough on the whole to embrace the tea party.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

IMO you're both demonstrating wishful thinking in your posts above.

I thought that might be the case a year or so ago. But now I don't see that happening (not that it won't....just that I don't see it right now). The Tea Party has aligned itself with the GOP. In fact, it seems to be helping to remake the GOP from the inside out. It's still possible, but right now the GOP seems to be cutting ties with wedge issues (god, guns, gays) and focusing exclusively on fiscal policy and national security. That is really what needs to happen with the party. At one point, it looked like the Tea Party folks might fracture the party. I think that has already happened to a degree, though...hence the primary victories. The GOP, for its part, was smart enough on the whole to embrace the tea party.

I agree that the TP seems to be re-making it....but that will be the problem I think. I agree it looks ok now (more or less) but there is no doubt violence and extremism will come to the fore.

I think the violence is inherent in the hatred which manifests in the TP but you don't even have to accept that - the very fact they have alliances with British far-right racist and neo-Nazi movements mean that if the TP don't move violently these groups for sure will.
post #9 of 12
Quote:

I agree that the TP seems to be re-making it....but that will be the problem I think. I agree it looks ok now (more or less) but there is no doubt violence and extremism will come to the fore.

I think the violence is inherent in the hatred which manifests in the TP but you don't even have to accept that - the very fact they have alliances with British far-right racist and neo-Nazi movements mean that if the TP don't move violently these groups for sure will.

This is where you're really buying into the nonsense that the mainstream media has put out there. There is as much violence-inciting, racism and bigotry in the Tea Party as there is anywhere else. That is, it's out there...but it doesn't constitute the party itself (even though it's not really a "party" itself...more of a movement). In fact, there have been few if any confirmed incidents (supported by any evidence whatsoever) of that kind of behavior.

The media has put forth the notion that the Tea Party is racist, bigoted, angry, male and white. Of these, only the last is true. It seems to be a predominantly white movement, though not entirely so.
post #10 of 12
Quote:

This is where you're really buying into the nonsense that the mainstream media has put out there. There is as much violence-inciting, racism and bigotry in the Tea Party as there is anywhere else. That is, it's out there...but it doesn't constitute the party itself (even though it's not really a "party" itself...more of a movement). In fact, there have been few if any confirmed incidents (supported by any evidence whatsoever) of that kind of behavior.

The media has put forth the notion that the Tea Party is racist, bigoted, angry, male and white. Of these, only the last is true. It seems to be a predominantly white movement, though not entirely so.

You're ignoring the bit I posted about the UK groups who are definitely racist and violent.

The same Neo-Nazi groups that are now linking up with the TP.

So unless these Neo-Nazi groups change - unlikely - trouble will follow.
post #11 of 12
Quote:

You're ignoring the bit I posted about the UK groups who are definitely racist and violent.

The same Neo-Nazi groups that are now linking up with the TP.

So unless these Neo-Nazi groups change - unlikely - trouble will follow.

Huh? Which Neo-Nazi groups are "linking up" with the Tea Party. They might try to align themselves, but it's not a two way street. I'm sure there are some of these wackos in the TP, but there are some of them everywhere. I don't see who violence and extremism are guaranteed to come to the fore. If they are, why are they not also guaranteed to come to the fore with liberal groups?
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Huh? Which Neo-Nazi groups are "linking up" with the Tea Party.

How about these?

Quote:
The English Defence League, a far-right grouping aimed at combating the "Islamification" of British cities, has developed strong links with the American Tea Party movement.

An Observer investigation has established that the EDL has made contact with anti-jihad groups within the Tea Party organisation and has invited a senior US rabbi and Tea Party activist to London this month.

The league has also developed links with Pamela Geller, who was influential in the protests against plans to build an Islamic cultural centre near Ground Zero. Geller, darling of the Tea Party's growing anti-Islamic wing, is advocating an alliance with the EDL. The executive director of the Stop Islamisation of America organisation, she recently met EDL leaders in New York and has defended the group's actions, despite a recent violent march in Bradford.

Link

Quote:
They might try to align themselves, but it's not a two way street.

Seems like it is...

Quote:
I'm sure there are some of these wackos in the TP, but there are some of them everywhere. I don't see who violence and extremism are guaranteed to come to the fore. If they are, why are they not also guaranteed to come to the fore with liberal groups?

I guess because the violence is directed at Muslims and a false allegation of 'Islamification' and the left-wing groups do not oppose this, see it for the lie it is and are not racists.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What is the GOP going to do?