or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's 2010 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air

Review: Apple's 2010 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air - Page 4

post #121 of 132
What those of you who don't have an MBP to compare the MBA to may be missing is that the keys on the MBA are already considerably more shallow than on the MBP. I'm pretty sure it was a space issue. They simply couldn't spare the extra 2mm to fit a backlight under an already slimmed down keyboard. Either way, while it may be a missing feature to some, it's certainly not a dealbreaker. You either need an ultraportable, or you don't.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #122 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Well, I can understand its use for something like an iPad or an iPhone, but I'm still puzzled how an accelerometer/SMS would be useful in an notebook with an SSD.

Doodle Jump!

Seriously though if there is going to be an App Store for the Mac the accelerometer a key to many of the games to be ported.

Assuming Apple blesses the API to that...
post #123 of 132
I really LOVE my new MacBook Air 13"... 
Really, really fast boot, 12 seconds (from pushing powerbutton, to loaded desktop).
As a surprice I also noticed a significant overall performance boost compared to my MacBook 13" aluminium unibody (released end 2008 model, bought in febr. 2009 with 2,4GHz and 4GB RAM).
At last, I do enjoy the new screen BIG TIME, 1440x900.
I'm enjoying the Air even more than I thought before purchase (I planned buying it). 
 iPad mini 3G 16GB  MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2012) 2,3GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Flash storage
 iPad mini 3G 16GB  MacBook Pro Retina 15" (2012) 2,3GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Flash storage
post #124 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

Doodle Jump!

Seriously though if there is going to be an App Store for the Mac the accelerometer a key to many of the games to be ported.

Assuming Apple blesses the API to that...

You can already use the SMS as a kind of accelerometer for the Mac. There have been apps out for a while that use it but no significant games or stuff like that AFAIK.

http://semaja2.net/cool-mac-apps

What's really fascinating is this all was out before the iPhone and iPod touch first hit. 4 years can change almost everything.
post #125 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

I don't understand what's so important about backlit keyboards. Until something like 8 years ago, nobody even knew backlit keyboards. Plus, if you're typing black on white background, the screen is plenty bright enough to let you see the keys too, if you absolutely need to see them. I applaud Apple for shaving off more thickness instead of adding the illuminated keyboard on top. I don't miss it at all.

It all depends on how much you want to look down, OR, whether you sometimes use your MacBook in an international mode-- for me that's Japanese and it sometimes requires looking at the keyboard to get things right.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
post #126 of 132
For those MBA buyers, Monoprice has a USB-A 2.0 to Ethernet adapter for under $5.
http://twitter.com/monoprice/status/1696760904814592
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #127 of 132
Quote:
A4 application processor and 1GB of RAM.

Its 256MB for the first iPad that was in this comparison. Even the iPad 2 has half the stated amount of RAM as here.
post #128 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

There's always someone who complains. If th room, using the one finger at a time method. Or they'd complain about the keyboard reflecting on the glossy screen or something else.

best post this month

!!!!!!

i hurt my self from root beer going fizz up my nose

peace

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #129 of 132
So when they produce the retina screen version of the MBA later this year you'll be able to fold the screen back on itself and it will immediately boot up iOS and the screen will become touch sensitive and the device will become an iPad. My computing experience will then be complete apart from all the dongles I have to carry around to hook the thing up. Oh just one more thing - don't forget the security port.
post #130 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlese View Post

So when they produce the retina screen version of the MBA later this year you'll be able to fold the screen back on itself and it will immediately boot up iOS and the screen will become touch sensitive and the device will become an iPad.

It might happen, tsshyeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
post #131 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlese View Post

So when they produce the retina screen version of the MBA later this year you'll be able to fold the screen back on itself and it will immediately boot up iOS and the screen will become touch sensitive and the device will become an iPad. My computing experience will then be complete apart from all the dongles I have to carry around to hook the thing up. Oh just one more thing - don't forget the security port.

Yes. YES.

I see no reason they couldn't actually build this. Even with a very high price I bet this would sell. iWant MBA Touch edition!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #132 of 132

I know this is an old thread, but I was collecting images of the late 2010 MBA logic board and find this one...

...and, if I'm not mistaken, the CPU and GPU have been incorrectly labeled here.

This is the image from this review:

http://photos.appleinsider.com/2010MBA.006.jpg

(this image appears at page #3 of the review)

And this one is from the iFixIt teardown of the same machine:

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Late-2010-Teardown/3745/1#s17837

As you can see, the CPU and the GPU are "mirrored" in these images... I think the one from ifixit is right, because you can clearly read "nvidia" if you zoom in the huge image version.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Review: Apple's 2010 11.6-inch and 13.3-inch MacBook Air