or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Though the iPad is not available for use directly on Sprint's network, owners of the Wi-Fi-only model have helped to increase sales of the carrier's Overdrive MiFi wireless hotspot, Sprint's CEO has revealed.

In an interview with GigaOm, Dan Hesse of Sprint said that his company has seen an increase in demand for its 3G and 4G Overdrive wireless hotspot since the iPad launched this year. The chief executive of the third-largest carrier in the U.S. said that most iPads being sold are the Wi-Fi-only model, and those users are relying on devices like the Overdrive for connectivity on the go.

In April, after the iPad launched, Sprint was quick to capitalize on the initial success of the device, offering a "4G case" for the tablet. The case holds a user's iPad, as well as a 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot for connectivity shared over Wi-Fi.

Sprint earlier this year also featured the iPhone in a commercial for the Overdrive. The TV spot touted that Sprint's 4G connectivity is up to 10 times faster than AT&T's 3G speeds.

While Sprint has sold Overdrives and cases specifically for the iPad, the carrier still does not have the right to sell Apple's touchscreen tablet. This week, the first two U.S. carriers to sell the iPad -- Verizon and AT&T -- began offering the device at their retail stores.

Like Sprint, Verizon's wireless network is not compatible with Apple's iPad model that includes built-in 3G connectivity. To get around that, Verizon has bundled its own MiFi hotspot with sales of the device. The nation's largest wireless carrier also offers 1GB of data for $20 per month for iPad users.

GigaOm also asked Hesse about the possibility of the iPhone appearing on his company's network. The CEO, however, declined to comment, and noted that his company does not reveal conversations it has with third parties.
post #2 of 27
With Sprint going the wimax route I don't think we'll ever see the iPhone on their network.
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

With Sprint going the wimax route I don't think we'll ever see the iPhone on their network.

I think by the time Apple goes the LTE route Sprint will have announced they will be adding LTE, too. My previous comment assumes Sprint wishes to be viable in the future and that they arent managed by manatees with idea balls.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

GigaOm also asked Hesse about the possibility of the iPhone appearing on his company's network. The CEO, however, declined to comment, and noted that his company does not reveal conversations it has with third parties.

Ah, looks like they have been trained, finally!
post #5 of 27
Very smart. Dont fight progress, jump on it.
post #6 of 27
Of all the big 4 Carriers in the U.S. I think Sprint is very important. ATT served a real big purpose in letting Apple dictate most of their direction. It has been a great if not anxious ride for ATT though. I am sure many a times they wondered , "What in the Hell have we done?"
But Apple has actually paid of handsomely for them. They will probably be the biggest company pretty soon again. (Take that Verizon).

But back to Sprint again. Because of falling numbers. And also because Hesse enjoyed being considered a very important 'Player' in the tech field. He knows that the only way Sprint can stay in competition with the other big 2. Will be in Pricing. They almost had the upper hand with WiMax.
If not for LTE being pushed on so hurriedly by the big 2, Sprint would have been sitting really pretty. They even had Google on board. To bad Android went heavy the Verizon route. Imagine what would be if it would had gone WiMax instead.

Well they cannot cry over spilled milk. Even though I think LTE is gonna be somewhat crippled by
Verizon and or ATT. For sure they are gonna try to overprice it. Don't believe for one minute that they are doing it for our benefit.

But that is why Sprint still can be very relevant. They, more than any of the other guys, know that it will be pricing that can somewhat level up the playing field. Its to bad that they did not cover more of the U.S. with WiMax, (I know, they need money, investors and the like).
But they could continue in the WiFi thru WiMax offering. Or even the MiFi deal. Right now, all my Internet needs are being covered by the Virgin MobileMiFi that they own. Can't beat that on price.

Come On Sprint. Keep bringing the prices lower and lower. The other guys will have to follow you. If not you can still get a lot more customers.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, looks like they have been trained, finally!

I think that involves a Keynote presentation by someone from Apple, featuring Steve's foot and bold type stating "where this will go if you squeal..."
post #8 of 27
With every wireless vendor wanting to have a separate wireless access monthly charge (with its own ETF) for every device, the 3G/4G MiFi routers really are the way to go IMO.

Tethering via my iPhone (iOS 3.0.1) seemed like a good concept, at least until I realized I was running down the battery in my phone in the process. To pay a separate tethering charge in addition to the existing data plan is where I drew the line. If I'm going to do that, I might as well have a MiFi router for similar money, as it's more flexible.

OTOH, I'd just hate to get locked in to a current Verizon 3G MiFi router, knowing that they will be rolling out their 4G/LTE data network in a big way in 2011. Also, Verizon's 3G MiFi speeds are slow compared to AT&T, and downright glacial compared to the Spring 4G/WiMax MiFi (if you happen to live in one of their coverage cities, which I don't.)

That said, the Verizon 3G MiFi monthly data plan rates are pretty good right now -- if you buy the MiFi bundled with a WiFi iPad at their stores.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #9 of 27
What's up with WiMax anyway? It was supposed to be *the* big thing, the last mile solution, the 4G everyone wanted that will be in all devices, as ubiquitous as wifi.

What happened? In the US and even many countries around the world... WiMax kinda didn't live up to the hype at all. More like VaporMax.
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What's up with WiMax anyway? It was supposed to be *the* big thing, the last mile solution, the 4G everyone wanted that will be in all devices, as ubiquitous as wifi.

What happened? In the US and even many countries around the world... WiMax kinda didn't live up to the hype at all. More like VaporMax.

There was a short time frame that it looked promising but by the time Sprint bought Clearwire LTE looked like the much better longterm solution over “Why?MAX”.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why?MAX.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #12 of 27
Maybe Apple should buy Sprint.
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There was a short time frame that it looked promising but by the time Sprint bought Clearwire LTE looked like the much better longterm solution over Why?MAX.

Is LTE mainly a US thing? Are we going to see yet more fragmentation in 4G? Even 2G/3G diversity is pretty difficult at this stage, not just the US, but China as well doing its own thing. I thought all these telcos sit down and sort this stuff out. Interoperability is to their benefit by standardising hardware, components, leveraging economies of scale, avoiding antitrust and free trade issues.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Is LTE mainly a US thing? Are we going to see yet more fragmentation in 4G? Even 2G/3G diversity is pretty difficult at this stage, not just the US, but China as well doing its own thing. I thought all these telcos sit down and sort this stuff out. Interoperability is to their benefit by standardising hardware, components, leveraging economies of scale, avoiding antitrust and free trade issues.

LTE is as close to a worldwide standard as Ive seen from mobile network operators. The biggest contender to standard LTE looks to be TD-LTE from China Mobile due to their huge numbers of subs, but I dont think theyre close to making that a reality.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Is LTE mainly a US thing? Are we going to see yet more fragmentation in 4G? Even 2G/3G diversity is pretty difficult at this stage, not just the US, but China as well doing its own thing. I thought all these telcos sit down and sort this stuff out. Interoperability is to their benefit by standardising hardware, components, leveraging economies of scale, avoiding antitrust and free trade issues.

LTE is supposed to be fairly standardized and widely supported across the world. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't pay exorbitant LTE roaming fees, just that technology won't prevent you from getting a connection.

Also, apparently the initial LTE release is technically only "3.9G" as it doesn't meet all the requirements to be called "4G". About what you'd expect from a technology that Verizon will support. But at least they'll have a snarky ad campaign to go with it!

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #16 of 27
I love it, if fit in my wallet I will get one.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why?MAX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post


Glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.
post #18 of 27
Hope that means they will improve the network here in Chicago. The Sprint/Clear 4G is currently no faster then AT&T 3G.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Also, apparently the initial LTE release is technically only "3.9G" as it doesn't meet all the requirements to be called "4G". About what you'd expect from a technology that Verizon will support. But at least they'll have a snarky ad campaign to go with it!


Sprint WiMAX also doesn't technically qualify as 4G, yet that hasn't stopped Sprint from massively marketing its WiMAX network and WiMAX handsets as 4G.

Also, AT&T's chosen next network is also LTE. T-Mobile is the outlier here in (rightly, in my opinion) focusing on building out its 3G HSPA+ network, which yields speeds comparable to "4G" networks built by other operators

Not sure what your point about Verizon is here.
post #20 of 27
What most uninformed outsiders assume is that Sprint screwed up going with WiMax.

Wrong. It was actually a brilliant move.

WiMax was approved for rollout well ahead of LTE. WiMax is also easily convertible to LTE. So while the other carriers waited for LTE to get standardized somewhat and approved, Clearwire/Sprint began rolling out the infrastructure for a 4G network years ago. Clearwire has been testing LTE conversions over the last few months with outstanding results. In the next year or two, expect an announcement that Clearwire/Sprint will be fully switching over to LTE.

The thing that most people don't understand is that there aren't nearly the same differences between LTE and WiMax as compared to CDMA and GSM. The conversion to LTE will be software based for the most part.

Clearwire/Sprint got a head start on the build, got the publicity for being the first, successfully launched a flagship device in the Evo 4G that has garnered them some respect, and in a year or so, they'll convert over to LTE and still be ahead of AT&T and Verizon in (pseudo-) 4G (none of the early 4G's that we'll see are, well, true 4G) coverage and support.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/10/2...s-down-30mbps/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367429,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_serious.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/clearw...imax-too/37682

http://newsroom.clearwire.com/phoeni...462&highlight=
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwj View Post

Not sure what your point about Verizon is here.

Slower networking speeds + brilliant snarky ad campaigns = Everyone assumes they'll be the best.

Don't read too much into my comments, I'm merely pointing out that none of them have a lock on this, except maybe the marketing angle (which Verizon clearly does better than anyone else).

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Slower networking speeds + brilliant snarky ad campaigns = Everyone assumes they'll be the best.

Don't read too much into my comments, I'm merely pointing out that none of them have a lock on this, except maybe the marketing angle (which Verizon clearly does better than anyone else).

I'd much rather have any networking speed then have not signal. That's why I'm sticking with Verizon I don't know about you but if ATT works in your area then go with them In my area however it is not as good.
post #23 of 27
Seems like every one wants to sell the ipad .

ALL those big box stores and 4 big carriers and 40 of the smaller regional carriers will be selling some sought of data plan 3g or 4g with their ipad sale. And these same players are already filling the enterprise void and marketing sales of 100's or more to businesses. The iphone will be chucked wholesale or adopted or added to the over all SW plan of the business.The fact that ATT/SPRINT can write an individual specific program for a mid cap 500 company and allay their security fears is wonderful. AN sales of 25,000 will be common in 2 yrs.

And the large boys SAP SW IBM INTEL and at least 25 Gov'ts are seeing how this first phase goes . I guess USBless ipads be always be here. And Colleges around the country can chuck 50 million tons of text books and fill ipads with full semester lessons and books to support . A students ipad can guide him from day to day > class to class > test to test > on and on .......YOU see where I am going ? My rant is almost done . and this topic is old enough that not many will read the silly bruce p . >> Students 5 yrs from now will wonder how we ever got along with old an iphone ipad school branded organizer.

I see apple walking compete away from the ipad and letting the market guide how it will evolve. Just like the touch was frozen the ipad will be pliable in a wild west market of ever cheaper gigbyte plans and confusing 19 months deals w/ no contract . Sprint looks like the bad boy here and 7 eleven will surprise us all .

All 3g iphones and ipod touches will be scoured up from the Ebay type markets and collected for the 2nd off market bundlers . India already sells tons of iphones at 250 $ fully refurb by the dozen.The legacy market for anything APPLE is already big . Some old devices sell for more than the original price .

My only thing is why has the ipad not be counted as a computer ???
why is error type 11 gone?
why is the 2 classics being ignored 160g ipod 13in white plastic
why can't two or 2 or 3 types of naNOS EXIST IN TIME AND SPACE ON EARTH ON THE SAME DATE
what ?? Sorry I mean to say the fat boy nano is still fine and the last one was also fantastic just like the video less new one.

I am stockpiling extra devices right now for the day apple for no reason kills them off .
i say bring them back. I own 3 ipod classics and i will buy an unopened ipod fat boy soon.

The ipad will unify the whole apple ios mac pod phone world in one fell swoop
frak me the rant is way to long and CAPRICA IS READY TO PLAY

cheers big ears

9
companies will turn the olden devices into ipad controllers
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #24 of 27
Nice one brucep. ...Played with a Samsung Tab just a few hours ago. Interesting, but after several seconds I got bored of it. The price tag is steep, shop here was trying to sell it at about, USD $850, you can get an iPad 32GB WiFi+3G for that price here.

Apparently in Europe it's ridiculously €730.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/s...0-if-bought-w/

Also http://www.informationweek.com/news/...SSfeed_IWK_All
"T-Mobile is pricing the Samsung Galaxy Tab at the same level that competitor Sprint is -- $400 with a contract. T-Mobile didn't spell out the exact pricing details, but its web site says the price for the Tab will be "as low as $400 with qualifying plan."
T-Mobile will likely follow the path laid out by Sprint, and sell the Tab for $400 with a data plan, as well as offer it for $600 unsubsidized with no plan. T-Mobile didn't confirm that, however."

Hmm... 7" and it feels a little plasticky. I'll pass, but then again I'm a deluded fanboy and hate Flash and the "Full Internet", etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Seems like every one wants to sell the ipad .

ALL those big box stores and 4 big carriers and 40 of the smaller regional carriers will be selling some sought of data plan 3g or 4g with their ipad sale. And these same players are already filling the enterprise void and marketing sales of 100's or more to businesses. The iphone will be chucked wholesale or adopted or added to the over all SW plan of the business.The fact that ATT/SPRINT can write an individual specific program for a mid cap 500 company and allay their security fears is wonderful. AN sales of 25,000 will be common in 2 yrs.

And the large boys SAP SW IBM INTEL and at least 25 Gov'ts are seeing how this first phase goes . I guess USBless ipads be always be here. And Colleges around the country can chuck 50 million tons of text books and fill ipads with full semester lessons and books to support . A students ipad can guide him from day to day > class to class > test to test > on and on .......YOU see where I am going ? My rant is almost done . and this topic is old enough that not many will read the silly bruce p . >> Students 5 yrs from now will wonder how we ever got along with old an iphone ipad school branded organizer.

I see apple walking compete away from the ipad and letting the market guide how it will evolve. Just like the touch was frozen the ipad will be pliable in a wild west market of ever cheaper gigbyte plans and confusing 19 months deals w/ no contract . Sprint looks like the bad boy here and 7 eleven will surprise us all .

All 3g iphones and ipod touches will be scoured up from the Ebay type markets and collected for the 2nd off market bundlers . India already sells tons of iphones at 250 $ fully refurb by the dozen.The legacy market for anything APPLE is already big . Some old devices sell for more than the original price .

My only thing is why has the ipad not be counted as a computer ???
why is error type 11 gone?
why is the 2 classics being ignored 160g ipod 13in white plastic
why can't two or 2 or 3 types of naNOS EXIST IN TIME AND SPACE ON EARTH ON THE SAME DATE
what ?? Sorry I mean to say the fat boy nano is still fine and the last one was also fantastic just like the video less new one.

I am stockpiling extra devices right now for the day apple for no reason kills them off .
i say bring them back. I own 3 ipod classics and i will buy an unopened ipod fat boy soon.

The ipad will unify the whole apple ios mac pod phone world in one fell swoop
frak me the rant is way to long and CAPRICA IS READY TO PLAY

cheers big ears

9
companies will turn the olden devices into ipad controllers
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Seems like every one wants to sell the ipad .

ALL those big box stores and 4 big carriers and 40 of the smaller regional carriers will be selling some sought of data plan 3g or 4g with their ipad sale. And these same players are already filling the enterprise void and marketing sales of 100's or more to businesses. The iphone will be chucked wholesale or adopted or added to the over all SW plan of the business.The fact that ATT/SPRINT can write an individual specific program for a mid cap 500 company and allay their security fears is wonderful. AN sales of 25,000 will be common in 2 yrs.

And the large boys SAP SW IBM INTEL and at least 25 Gov'ts are seeing how this first phase goes . I guess USBless ipads be always be here. And Colleges around the country can chuck 50 million tons of text books and fill ipads with full semester lessons and books to support . A students ipad can guide him from day to day > class to class > test to test > on and on .......YOU see where I am going ? My rant is almost done . and this topic is old enough that not many will read the silly bruce p . >> Students 5 yrs from now will wonder how we ever got along with old an iphone ipad school branded organizer.

I see apple walking compete away from the ipad and letting the market guide how it will evolve. Just like the touch was frozen the ipad will be pliable in a wild west market of ever cheaper gigbyte plans and confusing 19 months deals w/ no contract . Sprint looks like the bad boy here and 7 eleven will surprise us all .

All 3g iphones and ipod touches will be scoured up from the Ebay type markets and collected for the 2nd off market bundlers . India already sells tons of iphones at 250 $ fully refurb by the dozen.The legacy market for anything APPLE is already big . Some old devices sell for more than the original price .

My only thing is why has the ipad not be counted as a computer ???
why is error type 11 gone?
why is the 2 classics being ignored 160g ipod 13in white plastic
why can't two or 2 or 3 types of naNOS EXIST IN TIME AND SPACE ON EARTH ON THE SAME DATE
what ?? Sorry I mean to say the fat boy nano is still fine and the last one was also fantastic just like the video less new one.

I am stockpiling extra devices right now for the day apple for no reason kills them off .
i say bring them back. I own 3 ipod classics and i will buy an unopened ipod fat boy soon.

The ipad will unify the whole apple ios mac pod phone world in one fell swoop
frak me the rant is way to long and CAPRICA IS READY TO PLAY

cheers big ears

9
companies will turn the olden devices into ipad controllers

Once again, you are like a pinball, bouncing all over the place, but you are hitting all the targets -- ringing the bells and lighting the lights.

I suspect that the "p" in Brucep stands for Pachinko!


Aside: As to "why is error type 11 gone?"

I believe the error type 11 suffered the same fate as the legendary "No text associated with this error message" -- first encountered on IBM Mainframes after they committed the "IF-Gate" to silicon. The IF-Gate was designed to emit an impulse 1 picosecond before it received a triggering impulse -- the resulting branch displayed the message. A similar construct was later implemented (entirely in software) in MS-SQL Server,


One point you make is especially intriguing:

I see apple walking compete away from the ipad and letting the market guide how it will evolve.

I think that might happen, but it may not be Apple's choice:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said of iPad's business momentum: "it's being grabbed out of our hands."


Enterprise, including: business; education; media; science; medical; military; government -- yes government are embracing the iPad.


Today, the iPad can deliver on the promise of OTPC ( One Tablet Per Child -- originally One Laptop Per Child).


Why wait?


OLPC delivered a total of 1,500,000 computers in 4 years at the best price of $200.

More iPads are being made in 1 month than OLPCs were made in 4 years.


Why wait?


The promise is for a $70 (maybe) OTPC sometime in 2012 (maybe). India is promoting a $35 (maybe) computer for 2011-2012 (maybe).

Today the iPad is built for $260 or less -- with economies of scale that cost could be much less.


Why wait?


Especially if countries can create jobs (and good working environments) to assemble, package, localize, distribute and maintain these devices and their ecsystem.

Especially if these devices can be used to educate citizens to be come employable assets of their countries (as opposed to burdens)

Especially if these devices allow individuals to realize their creativity, become self-sufficient, and contribute something back so others can stand on their shoulders -- say, creating art, science or writing apps and other training material -- or simply being a positive role model.


Why wait?


It may have already started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYrp31fH-Jk

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
Reply
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Once again, you are like a pinball, bouncing all over the place, but you are hitting all the targets -- ringing the bells and lighting the lights.

I suspect that the "p" in Brucep stands for Pachinko!


Aside: As to "why is error type 11 gone?"

I believe the error type 11 suffered the same fate as the legendary "No text associated with this error message" -- first encountered on IBM Mainframes after they committed the "IF-Gate" to silicon. The IF-Gate was designed to emit an impulse 1 picosecond before it received a triggering impulse -- the resulting branch displayed the message. A similar construct was later implemented (entirely in software) in MS-SQL Server,


One point you make is especially intriguing:

I see apple walking compete away from the ipad and letting the market guide how it will evolve.

I think that might happen, but it may not be Apple's choice:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs said of iPad's business momentum: "it's being grabbed out of our hands."


Enterprise, including: business; education; media; science; medical; military; government -- yes government are embracing the iPad.


Today, the iPad can deliver on the promise of OTPC ( One Tablet Per Child -- originally One Laptop Per Child).


Why wait?


OLPC delivered a total of 1,500,000 computers in 4 years at the best price of $200.

More iPads are being made in 1 month than OLPCs were made in 4 years.


Why wait?


The promise is for a $70 (maybe) OTPC sometime in 2012 (maybe). India is promoting a $35 (maybe) computer for 2011-2012 (maybe).

Today the iPad is built for $260 or less -- with economies of scale that cost could be much less.


Why wait?


Especially if countries can create jobs (and good working environments) to assemble, package, localize, distribute and maintain these devices and their ecsystem.

Especially if these devices can be used to educate citizens to be come employable assets of their countries (as opposed to burdens)

Especially if these devices allow individuals to realize their creativity, become self-sufficient, and contribute something back so others can stand on their shoulders -- say, creating art, science or writing apps and other training material -- or simply being a positive role model.


Why wait?


It may have already started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYrp31fH-Jk

.

thanks dude
sorry for my dis jointed posts
so the ipad 2 is out !!!
and 8 out of 10 fortune 500 companies are making the the ipad/iphone their own .

and the medical world has already stated that the pad can and will stream line many of what they know do by way of phone or post it or whatever

live medical advice given across the world in a video format can and will save lives
i just got a fully load MBP 15'
fast fast graphics
Can't wait for the fedx man

the joke about error type 11 is that many of us typed 11

peace dude 9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

With Sprint going the wimax route I don't think we'll ever see the iPhone on their network.

Sprint will eventually switch to LTE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales