or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 13" mba will the SD card go all the way in?

13" mba will the SD card go all the way in?

post #1 of 6
Will the SD card go all the way in? Or does it goes halfway in like those in iMac?
Thanks!
post #2 of 6
The SD card will be completely absorbed : the MBA will crunch it and eat it, and you'll never get the card back, MUHAHAHAAA !

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by selmer View Post

Will the SD card go all the way in? Or does it goes halfway in like those in iMac?
Thanks!

A standard SD card will, of course, stick out a little. There's no mechanism to throw it out again, so that's the way you get it out again.
It seemed equal to the iMac port to me, when I tried it out in a store.

I asked a SanDisk representative if they'd maybe see a market for small SD cards that are shorter ... but he didn't have an answer straight away. Who knows
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by electonic View Post

A standard SD card will, of course, stick out a little. There's no mechanism to throw it out again, so that's the way you get it out again.
It seemed equal to the iMac port to me, when I tried it out in a store.

I asked a SanDisk representative if they'd maybe see a market for small SD cards that are shorter ... but he didn't have an answer straight away. Who knows

it would be nice if they make a short version, then we could use the SD to add the storage size of MBA easily
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by electonic View Post

Not happening. The SD spec is set. You want a smaller card, you buy MiniSD or MicroSD. Half-size cards would work absolutely nowhere but in these Macs.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #6 of 6
A half-size card spec completely compatible with the SD spec has existed for years, and can still be found. It's called RS-MMC, and it does indeed fit and disappear inside the MacBook Pro and iMac and MacBook Air 13" without sticking out. I have one in my MBP. Unfortunately, it caps out at 2GB and is insanely slow.

The best it seems someone could do now would be to create an adapter that uses a mini- or micro-sd and fits into that slot without sticking out.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 13" mba will the SD card go all the way in?