or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

post #1 of 145
Apple's next-generation iPad, set to launch in the first quarter of 2011, will include a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat, in addition to a second rear camera, according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm.

The note from Detwiler Fenton & Co., issued this week and obtained by Barron's, claims that OmniVision will supply CMOS image sensors for the second-generation iPad. The report alleges that the next iPad will have a forward-facing VGA camera for FaceTime video chat, like the iPhone 4 and latest iPod touch.

The firm also claims that OmniVision will supply a second, 5 megapixel camera, presumably to be placed on the rear of the new iPad. One competing touchscreen tablet, Samsung's Galaxy Tab, sports two cameras, with the rear lens highlighted for use in augmented reality applications.

Detwiler said that Apple is expected to build 2.5 million units of the next-generation iPad in the first quarter of 2011. OmniVision also supplies sensors for Apple's iPhone.

AppleInsider contacted Detwiler Friday in an effort to determine why Apple would place a high-resolution camera on the back of a 9.7-inch tablet, and why Apple would only build 2.5 million units of a device that sold more than 4 million last quarter. Multiple e-mails and voicemails were not returned.

In September, AppleInsider exclusively reported that Apple plans to move aggressively in pushing its FaceTime open video chat standard. In addition to the iPhone 4 and latest iPod touch, Apple added the Mac platform to its FaceTime connectivity earlier this month.

People familiar with Apple's plans told AppleInsider that a version of Apple's iPad with a built-in video camera and FaceTime support had already progressed to advanced testing stages by September. It was indicated that a FaceTime-equipped iPad would be introduced no later than the first quarter of 2011.
post #2 of 145
Instead of just making a smart assed comment here, just putting out that this was a forgone conclusion for months, not sure I needed an analyst to put it out in an official report.
post #3 of 145
In related news, the next iPad will be newer than the old one.
post #4 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Instead of just making a smart assed comment here, just putting out that this was a forgone conclusion for months, not sure I needed an analyst to put it out in an official report.

Better a smart one than a dumb one.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #5 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's next-generation iPad, set to launch in the first quarter of 2011, will include a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat, in addition to a second rear camera, according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm..

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?
post #6 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider contacted Detwiler Friday in an effort to determine why Apple would place a high-resolution camera on the back of a 9.7-inch tablet, and why Apple would only build 2.5 million units of a device that sold more than 4 million last quarter. Multiple e-mails and voicemails were not returned.

Thank you, AppleInsider, for having more common sense than Detwiler Fenton. A rear-facing camera on a tablet makes about as much sense as a 7" model that was supposedly coming down the pipe.
post #7 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Thank you, AppleInsider, for having more common sense than Detwiler Fenton. A rear-facing camera on a tablet makes about as much sense as a 7" model that was supposedly coming down the pipe.

You're right. Front facing makes sense, not much else.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Or, about as much sense as a rear facing camera on an iMac.
post #9 of 145
I would not be surprised to see only 1 camera. Despite these 'rumors'.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #10 of 145
The addition of the camera to iPad 2 is just to shut the critics up..
post #11 of 145
I don't know about other current iPad owners, but the addition of a camera or two is not going to entice me to upgrade. I see little to no use for such functionality.

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade. About all I can think of are the standard things like slimmer and lighter with more hard drive. The current iPad is darn near perfect in my eyes.
post #12 of 145
OMG OMG OMG, this is revolutionary!! The iPad is going to get at least one, maybe two cameras!!!

I hope the rear camera is a revolutionary and magical .7 mp camera like the amazing iPod touch has!! At second though, maybe they should save the rear camera until the 2012 update, and in 2013 Steve could add an AMAZING 512 meg of RAM to it!!!

It's a game changer.... It's so SEXY and delicious looking. Doesn't everyone agree????? The hell with "clunky' and "crappy" netbooks that can do actual work - I like all of you want to spend my entire existence "surfing the web", "checking my email", "enjoying my photographs and music"!!!

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #13 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade.

How about a Retina Display?
post #14 of 145
If there was a camera, it would be just a front facing for Facetime. The iPad's form factor, as a pad, is a bit awkward for video conferencing due to the camera angle from the device, unless Apple took that into account (maybe two switchable front facing cameras?)
post #15 of 145
Quote:

The current iPad is darn near perfect in my eyes.

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #16 of 145
Retina display is the only feature that would make me upgrade.
post #17 of 145
But Johny Ive said having no camera was a good thing.

Why the iPad has no front facing camera and no Alarm clock is complete crap.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #18 of 145
My thoughts are that Apple is going to release a higher end version of the iPad. A version running OSx. A higher res rear facing camera has many uses that come to mind. Graphic arts, cad, and other programs could use imported photos. You would obviously have to hold the pad up like a big digital camera, but so what...... for a quick pic? Sure... I'd do it.

Might also explain the reported lower manufacturing numbers. Smaller market for a higher end iPad. Don't forget Apples latest news on the next OSX release. Lion is bringing features of the mobile units back to the desktop. Who DOESN'T see that loop continuing with bringing a mobile version of OSX to the iPad?
post #19 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?

I don't believe that any official Apple spokesperson or Steve Jobs made such claims!

Do you have a citation?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #20 of 145
I want 2 USB ports...
post #21 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Retina display is the only feature that would make me upgrade.

Other than retina display, which I think is very unlikely as it will increase the cost and not allow apple to price at 499 dollars, higher memory (128 gb) ; atleast 512 ram, better than VGA frontcamera ( 2mp for large 9.7 inch screen) and some software upgrade like " gestures" in safari would make me go for it.
post #22 of 145
We could see two face-cameras. One in the portrait position and the other in the landscape position i.e. one in the center of the short side and one in the center of the long side.
bb
bb
post #23 of 145
Quote:

... I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade. About all I can think of are the standard things like slimmer and lighter with more hard drive. ...

All I want is slimmer side bezels (like on the iPhone) so I can actually type on the thing, and a software preference to get the home screen to only slide sideways like the iPhone instead of doing gymnastic flips every time you touch the device.

I will probably upgrade just so I can take a Dremel to the old one and shave down those sides. It's so irritating how they get in the way and have no purpose other than making it a bit easier for "teh stupids" to manipulate the device. The additional knowledge that there is nothing but air inside those parts of the iPad makes it even more infuriating.
post #24 of 145
Always wondered if someone could make a camera dongle for the thing. Plug it in to the connector port, and have two cameras on it. Sell them for $49 and you'd probably have a hard time keeping up with demand.
post #25 of 145
The App that links your iPad with your iPhone via bluetooth to take pics is actually pretty good. I used it while on a family vacation and the photo's were decent. It would be handy if that handled videos as well. I think a majority of iPad owners probably also have iPhones and the app was only $5.
post #26 of 145
Quote:
according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm

Must be true then.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #27 of 145
Front FaceTime camera
Faster A4 processor
Retina Display
SD card slot
Larger capacity Flash HDs across the line
Support for MULTIPLE USERS
post #28 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS on a phone.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple should not allow non-Apple dev tools for iPhone.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
post #29 of 145
Think Skype Folks, a ton of service folks use it. Facetime might be nice, but not if folks on PC's or some other computer can't video chat because of it. At least with Skype any one can video chat.

It's a great tool for those who want to talk to there children, grandkids, friends in far away places.

Skip

PS As for a front/rear camera. If this is for taking pictures, rumor has it, Nikon might be coming out with something called a camera, used just fro taking pictures.
post #30 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!

That would be... 'loser'.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #31 of 145
mark this news down under obvious!!
post #32 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I think it's for FaceTime. What better way for Apple to leverage FaceTime as a standard than to have ALL newer iOS devices to be able to use it?

I agree I really don't see a use for a rear-facing camera on a tablet, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't use it.
Cheers,
Yuta
Cheers,
Yuta
post #33 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

OMG OMG OMG, this is revolutionary!! The iPad is going to get at least one, maybe two cameras!!!

I hope the rear camera is a revolutionary and magical .7 mp camera like the amazing iPod touch has!! At second though, maybe they should save the rear camera until the 2012 update, and in 2013 Steve could add an AMAZING 512 meg of RAM to it!!!

It's a game changer.... It's so SEXY and delicious looking. Doesn't everyone agree????? The hell with "clunky' and "crappy" netbooks that can do actual work - I like all of you want to spend my entire existence "surfing the web", "checking my email", "enjoying my photographs and music"!!!

It's fun to read this and then then read the actual thread (in which the responses range from "Sure, I guess, whatever" to "Why?") and wonder what's wrong with you.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #34 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.

Don't get out of the house much?

I for one would love an iPad and I have a MacBook Pro. While I can take my MacBook Pro out, it's a bit of an ordeal having to pack my bag and go out. If I had an iPad, just pick it up and I would be on my way to the nearest coffee shop.
post #35 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

and

Do I remember correctly?

No, because they did not figure how to make it work the way they want, picky as they are, Apple designers of course.
Of course the competition think designing is not a synergy between form & function but adding accessory.

: Boy, Do they facilitate  work!
: He (certainly!) was joking!
post #36 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkaul View Post

Other than retina display, which I think is very unlikely as it will increase the cost and not allow apple to price at 499 dollars, higher memory (128 gb) ; atleast 512 ram, better than VGA frontcamera ( 2mp for large 9.7 inch screen) and some software upgrade like " gestures" in safari would make me go for it.

How do you figure it would drive the price up? It didn't for the current iPhones.
post #37 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Lost of people lamented the lack of a camera on the iPad. Others didn't care. If they add one some will be pleased, other will continue not to care. Same as every other item on the list.

When you snort snarling about "fanbois" it lets us know you don't really have anything to say.
post #38 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

It seems like I've read that recently. Where was that again?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=38
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=89
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=10
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=40
post #39 of 145
I wouldn't upgrade to an iPad with camera(s) either... which is why I'm holding out until at least a facetime camera is available.

I'd like to ask AppleInsider this: why put a 5 MP camera on the front side of an iPad or iPhone? Of course the high-resolution camera should be on the back side. It would look silly trying to compose a nice picture or movie (other than a self-portrait) using a frontside camera. These imagers are so inexpensive and so convenient, there's no reason not to include them, if only to have in a pinch.

What if production is 2.5 million units in the first quarter and the new model isn't announced until the end of the first quarter? What if Apple retains the previous model at a reduced price? Apple doesn't need to make many millions of iPads with camera(s) in the first quarter under either of these scenarios.
post #40 of 145
Quote:

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade.

Have you been an Apple fan long? They do a pretty good job of making you want the "next" thing regardless of the actual need.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report