or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report - Page 4

post #121 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

And what horrors would this alleged further "fragmentation" cause? You seem to like that word.

I'm not convinced that fragmentation causes any horrors whatsoever. It has been a fact of life since the earliest days of the computer industry. It has been a fact of life for developers since forever.

What I think is crazy is the folks who deride Android as being fragmented, but fight to the death to deny that iOS too is fragmented. It is a meta-comment when I point out the objective reality of iOS fragmentation.

The denials and word redefinitions spawn more interesting discussions (like this one) about the nature and consequences of fragmentation. The denials and word redefinitions also cause much merriment, as those who deny reality fall all over themselves, but that is just an added bonus.

The real benefit is the discussion of fragmentation as a phenomenon, nad why and how it affects the user. IMO, the effects of iOS fragmentation flow through even to iTunes: The apps are no longer alphabetical, but instead, broken up into weird categories, each of which is alphabetical.

That's the worst horror for me. The second worst is that I heard about some great iOS software, looked it up, and found that it was not compatible with my iPhone. It was written for a different fragment of iOS.

That is the way of the world. Software has always had fragments. iOS is fragmented. It is not horrible, it is a fact.
post #122 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

So what do you define as "need" when you say "nobody needs an iPad"? What was it that you had in mind when using the word "need"?

Too boring. Sorry.
post #123 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What insult?

"... you walk into a store and the shopkeeper says "What do you need today" do you stare him down and say "I don't need anything, you fool!"

You know, I bet you do."
post #124 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Google Voice came to mind immediately. I'd have to think to come up with a complete list.

I'll leave the question of benefits and functions of Google Voice as an exercise for the reader.

Google Voice is approved and coming to iOS.
post #125 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Nope. I'm saying that few people are away from a power source with their iPad for more than several hours at a crack. I'm saying that few people require more than several hours of usage between charges.

I'm saying that those who truly require 8 or 10 hours of continuous use are unusual.

But that's the best part... You can be near a power source or away from it, you don't have to worry about hooking it up...! Whether it is "truly required" is besides the point - it's a feature that you have this luxury, this freedom.
post #126 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Too boring. Sorry.

That's alright, at least you're replying to some of my posts, rather than ignoring my responses like in some of your previous incarnations.
post #127 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I'm not convinced that fragmentation causes any horrors whatsoever. It has been a fact of life since the earliest days of the computer industry. It has been a fact of life for developers since forever....

The real benefit is the discussion of fragmentation as a phenomenon, nad why and how it affects the user. IMO, the effects of iOS fragmentation flow through even to iTunes: The apps are no longer alphabetical, but instead, broken up into weird categories, each of which is alphabetical.

That's the worst horror for me. The second worst is that I heard about some great iOS software, looked it up, and found that it was not compatible with my iPhone. It was written for a different fragment of iOS.

That is the way of the world. Software has always had fragments. iOS is fragmented. It is not horrible, it is a fact.

Fair enough. The fact remains Android fragmentation is worse than iOS.
post #128 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Google Voice is approved and coming to iOS.

AFAIK, it is still curated. I've too heard plenty of rumors, but as of now...
post #129 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's alright, at least you're replying to some of my posts, rather than ignoring my responses like in some of your previous incarnations.

In general, I ignore trolls and insults. Additionally, defending oneself when accused of bizarre stuff causes an unacceptably high post count, so I try to respond only to relevant content.

I'll be happy to respond in kind to thoughtful comments. I will continue to ignore many other types of posts. I will continue to lampoon thoughtless on-topic comments.

And because this subject (me) is OT, I am through discussing it. My habits are irrelevant to the topic at hand, no matter how fascinating some posters find them.
post #130 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

The problem is, those kind of apps get curated.

curate 2 |ˈkyoŏˌrāt|
verb [ trans. ] (usu. be curated)
select, organize, and look after the items in (a collection or exhibition) : both exhibitions are curated by the museum's director.


And that's a good thing!

Maybe the "problem" lies elsewhere!

.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #131 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

You have a very unusual usage pattern.

Most people use such devices on their couch, with the power supply at hand. Most people do not stay glued to their screen for more than several hours. The extended battery life is great, but not necessary, and in your estimation, has caused Apple to make it a weaker device overall.

I would prefer a device with more capabilities, even if the battery life allowed only 2 or 3 sessions between charges. I'd just plug it in before going to bed, and it would be all set for the next day's use.

IMO, continuous, all day, every day use of an iPad is an extremely unusual requirement, and a vanishingly small usage pattern for the device in today's world.


I think that many people have a real life and do other things than sit on the couch.

I have 3 grand kids that play soccer. Most years that means, for each child:

2 Evening practices per week, 5:00 PM-7:30 PM, Mon-Wed or Tue-Thu
1 Game per week, Sat anywhere between 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM
Playoffs and Tournaments - 1-2 games per day. 2-3 days in succession.

This begins in August and lasts into November. There are many days when we are away for as much as 7-14 consecutive hours.

During that time the iPads are used:
-- to surf the web
-- update stats, records
-- review mail, forum threads
-- upload photos from several cameras
-- preview home movie highlights of prior games with other parents/grandparents
-- play games. watch movies educational and creative * use by kids between games


Throughout the year we often take day-trips: Our most recent was a 7 1/2 hour round trip to the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz, CA. The iPads provide entertainment (for the kids); low enough noise level to hold a conversation (adults)l and maps.traffic/restauramt/pit stop info (everyone)

During these times, when we're out and about -- it is very difficult to find a receptacle to "Iust plug it in".


* here's an example of "creative" photo editing that Marlowe did of her favorite Grandpa -- isn't he handsome:?




And here's a soccer highlight from last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzAft7b7z4I


Before the iPads, I tried to use my 17" iMac G4 AluBook -- no success: too cumbersome, heavy, bulky -- mostly just surfing (tethered to an iPhone). No entertainment, movies, games, creativity...

Whether you like it or not -- there are some things that the iPad does better than any outer alternative!
.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #132 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that many people have a real life and do other things than sit on the couch......

....* here's an example of "creative" photo editing that Marlowe did of her favorite Grandpa -- isn't he handsome:?


.


Grand daughter Marlowe sure knows how to render a triangulated Grandpa...
post #133 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Am I correct that Apple software cannot accommodate different screen resolutions? That the software needs to be written specifically for a certain resolution?

I get that impression, but I am not a developer.

If I am correct, then how will Apple change the screen resolution of the iPad without further fragmenting iOS?

Simplistically, there are 3 ways to accommodate different screen resolutions -- actually screen sizes, rather than resolutions:

1) The device/OS adjusts the size to display content accordingly -- the iPad displays an iPhone app at 2x size, compensating for the PPI differences. This works better on some apps than others -- but it works.

2) The developer can easily use device independent constructs and/or hardware features to adjust the app output for the correct screen sizes and screen orientations -- a few lines of code.

3) Rethink the application:
-- to take advantage of more screen real estate
-- to compensate for less screen real estate

One way to think of this is you are designing an exercise regimen for use in the water-- you have a different set of exercises for a swimming pool than for the bath tub.

Here, again. the iOS SDK and hardware assist you to develop a single universal app, sharing much of the code, but using device-specific presentations.

I believe that Android OS/SDK does not contain extensive provisions to do much, if any, of the above -- I suspect that this is one of the major reasons that Google says that Android is not suitable for tablet usage.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #134 of 145
Dick, don't waste too much of your life responding to those who don't have one. Not to say that I am the most outgoing person at this point in time... Just badly addicted to this forum and "news" site.
post #135 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Grand daughter Marlowe sure knows how to render a triangulated Grandpa...

Picasso would be proud.
post #136 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

Grand daughter Marlowe sure knows how to render a triangulated Grandpa...

Nah! I just look scruffy because my winter coat is coming in...

Actually, I started it by rendering a photo of Mars as she would look at my age -- she's gorgeous and won't let me post the pic.

But, here's a vid she made with the front-facing camera on the iP4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTVDcjfAnyI

Sent from my iCouch

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #137 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Instead of just making a smart assed comment here, just putting out that this was a forgone conclusion for months, not sure I needed an analyst to put it out in an official report.

Agreed... this was the sort of thing that could have been assumed (and was) the day after the iPad came out...
post #138 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah! I just look scruffy because my winter coat is coming in...

Actually, I started it by rendering a photo of Mars as she would look at my age -- she's gorgeous and won't let me post the pic.

But, here's a vid she made with the front-facing camera on the iP4:

"..."

Sent from my iCouch

.

Who wouldn't be upfront in showing an iFamily such as yours? Lucky you all...!
post #139 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that many people have a real life and do other things than sit on the couch.

.

Then we agree.
post #140 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

"... you walk into a store and the shopkeeper says "What do you need today" do you stare him down and say "I don't need anything, you fool!"

You know, I bet you do."

Seems like a reasonable conclusion, based on the deliberate category confusion you've already demonstrated and which I have carefully described.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #141 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

My habits are irrelevant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Too boring. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Then we agree.

To the above partial quotes, juxtaposed... Yes!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #142 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Seems like a reasonable conclusion, based on the deliberate category confusion you've already demonstrated and which I have carefully described.

"Nope"
post #143 of 145
i think a front camera would have a lot of business use potential as opposed to a casual camera. It could be a point of sale device, much like a bar code reader, however, since it's a camera, it could also capture the serial number for warranty use. Inventory control would be another use. I am in real estate and there is much potential there are well. What if the flyer in front of the home had one of those newer square coding symbols(not sure what they are called) and it would cause your iPad, or iPhone to immediately go to a virtual tour web address of the home?
Taking your car in for service. The service advisor could come to your car, take a photo of your vin # (many are in bar code too) and then enter the services that would need to be performed. The wait time for you to get going to work in the morning would be greatly reduced.
Having the camera will allow for many more uses than just taking photos. It is just limited to a programmer's ideas in implementing its use. Bing's camera feature is pretty cool on my iPhone. I'm sure it could offer a lot of enterprise use as well.
post #144 of 145
I'm not gonna buy ipad until it has 4 cameras- 2 in front for 3d Facetime and 2 in back for 3d viewing.
post #145 of 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansende View Post

I'm not gonna buy ipad until it has 4 cameras- 2 in front for 3d Facetime and 2 in back for 3d viewing.

Yes, we know, you're not going to ever buy an iPad.

I can see the next iPad and probably ever iPad after having simply one FaceTime camera on the front - and that's it. Only one camera.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report