or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 27 inch Cinema Display Issues: Sound, light sensor

27 inch Cinema Display Issues: Sound, light sensor

post #1 of 2
hi,

this is my first post in this forum and i'd like to ask your help.

two weeks ago i got my 27" ACD, which initially worked beautifully.
now i have the following symptoms (appearing randomly):

- sound output through display stops
- sound input through display stops
- onscreen volume indicator appears lagging behind after input (and has no function)
- no auto adjustment of brightness to ambient light
- display mic input incredibly low (compared to built in MBP mic, which is situated about half a meter away).

here is what i tried:

- installing LED Cinema Display Software Update 1.0 (twice): no effect
- resetting SMC: fixes the issue - for about a day
- unplugging ACD power: fixes the issues - for about 4 days
- unplugging ACD USB & MDP: sometimes fixes the issue - four a couple of hours
- deleting the preferences .plist files (com.apple.driver.AppleUSBDisplays.plist; com.apple.audio.DeviceSettings.plist; com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist) : no effect

additionally, installing the software update doesn't give me an option to output the sound through MDP, but USB only (see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4293).

called apple support, but they have not heard about the issue, have no help to offer, asked me to monitor the issue for another week or so and if re-occuring, i could exchange the display. judging from what i read across the web, replacing the display does not help.

although the issue is being discussed in two other forums, i thought i ask for help here, since this forum seems to be populated by a technically adept crowd.

many thanks in advance all!
17" MBP 3.06GHz C2D 8GB
OSX 10.6.4
17" MBP 3.06GHz C2D 8GB
OSX 10.6.4
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohto View Post

- sound output through display stops
- onscreen volume indicator appears lagging behind after input (and has no function)

Yes, I have had these problems. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Quote:
- sound input through display stops
- display mic input incredibly low (compared to built in MBP mic, which is situated about half a meter away).

Haven't really tried out the mic yet, but I certainly can.

I'll be calling Apple support, too; as well as posting feedback on the website. That seems to occasionally work.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › 27 inch Cinema Display Issues: Sound, light sensor