or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Mac and Retail bosses cash in on over $55 million in options
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's Mac and Retail bosses cash in on over $55 million in options

post #1 of 55
Thread Starter 
Two of Steve Jobs' top lieutenants saw big pay days during the month of October, with Apple's Mac hardware chief and retail mastermind both cashing in on stock options that combined to total of more than $55 million.

First was Bob Mansfield, who a little over a week ago exercised 40,000 stock options at a strike price of $36.54, selling them on the open market for $308 a share to net a profit of $10,858,400 before taxes and fees, according to a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mansfield made his way to Apple following its acquisition of Raycer Graphics in 1999 and within just a few years emerged as one of the leaders of the company's then ailing Mac division. In 2008, he was subsequently promoted to Senior Vice President of Mac Hardware Engineering, becoming the first public face of Mac systems development since the rocky departure of Tim Bucher back in November of 2004.

Since then, Jobs has entrusted Mansfield with heightened responsibilities, assigning him the new role of Apple's Senior Vice President of Mac and Devices Hardware Engineering this August to cope with the abrupt exit of Mark Papermaster, who oversaw iPod and iPhone engineering for a year and change leading up to this summer's iPhone 4 "Antennagate" debacle.

Meanwhile, Apple retail 'Genius' Ron Johnson on Thursday took receipt of his third mega-million dollar payload in as many years. According to SEC filings, he exercised 150,000 options at a strike price of $11.73, selling them in multiple trades at a weighted average of $306.07 per share to clear a whopping $44,151,000 in profit before taxes.

Johnson was lured away from Target by Jobs in 2000 to spearhead the company's fledgeling retail business. He's renowned not only for crafting an international chain of 317 retail stores that are among the world's most profitable per square foot, but also for pioneering the extremely successful "Genius Bar" concept found inside those stores, in the face of initial stiff opposition from Jobs.

Almost three years ago to the date, Johnson exercised the 700,000 options at $23.72 apiece, raking in a profit of nearly $113 million after selling the shares on the market for between $185 to $185.21. He followed that up this past March by moving 200,000 options for a profit of roughly $46 million.

In years prior, Johnson also completed sales of Apple stock for profits of $9.6 million, $22.6 million, $7 million, and 8 million, bringing his combined total of stock-based compensation while at Apple to at least $250 million.

According to filings with the SEC, Johnson still holds 232,875 beneficially owned shares of Apple.
post #2 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Johnson was lured away from Target by Jobs in 2000 to spearhead the company's fledgeling retail business. He's renowned not only for crafting an international chain of 317 retail stores that are among the world's most profitable per square foot, but also for pioneering the extremely successful "Genius Bar" concept found inside those stores, in the face of initial stiff opposition from Jobs.

I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of someone within Apple standing up to stiff opposition from Jobs who continued to be successful there...
I guess it was all worth it, that's a lot of $$$.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #3 of 55
Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #4 of 55
Good for them. They earned it.
post #5 of 55
Quit dribbling, AI.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #6 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

If I read the story correctly, which I likely didn't (or ever do, ha), Jobs [initially] opposed the "Genius Bar" concept Johnson spearheaded.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

Huh?
Where did this comment come from?
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #8 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

Stock options are part of their remuneration package. Exercising their options is just cashing in on the fruits of their labor. AAPL is trading near all time highs, This is a good time for them to cash in. When you are at that level in a publicly traded company, the window of opportunity to cash in options is small, since they are privy to inside information that could affect the stock valuation. Hence there are only certain times in the year when they can exercise their options. Right after quarterly results is one of those times.

Of course the possibility that capital gains tax could increase may also be a factor.
post #9 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Huh?
Where did this comment come from?

Brain > fingers > keyboard.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #10 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Brain > fingers > keyboard.

Well, I agree on the last two...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #11 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

So you think we we were better off under George "M" Bush?
post #12 of 55
Let's not drive down the political alley on this one.

Just congratulations for work very well done, and for setting a bar high enough that the rest of the (retail) world can only stand there and gasp (or drool in envy).
post #13 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of someone within Apple standing up to stiff opposition from Jobs who continued to be successful there...
I guess it was all worth it, that's a lot of $$$.

What in the world are you talking about?
post #14 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

Yeah... the possibility of having to pay a couple percent more to pay for the commons that make that windfall possible is just oppressive.
post #15 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

It's obvious we were better off under Bush and Cheney right?

/facepalm
post #16 of 55
Sorry, was there any news here?

Also, Obama = Bush so you can all stop arguing.
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

What in the world are you talking about?

Sorry. If neither you nor Spam could figure it out, I guess I wasn't clear.
My point was supposed to be that Jobs has a reputation for being a "my way or the highway" kinda boss. I don't say this in a negative way--his vision and his refusal to compromise it is what has made Apple what it is today.

So when this story comes along and mentions that this guy championed the Genius Bar over strong opposition from Jobs, I just thought it was interesting.

I'm not sure how that ended up confusing people and bringing politics into the thread, but there it is...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #18 of 55
<So when this story comes along and mentions that this guy championed the Genius Bar over strong opposition from Jobs, I just thought it was interesting. >

i guess that jobs didn't like highway driving and picked the scenic route. it's virtually impossible to quantify how much the retail stores helped apple to get to where it is today.
post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post


i guess that jobs didn't like highway driving and picked the scenic route. it's virtually impossible to quantify how much the retail stores helped apple to get to where it is today.

Wow, my point was not to argue the value of the Genius Bar either. I should just give up...

But I'll take the bait.
I think it would be a mistake to underestimate the importance of the Genius Bar in Apple's Mac resurgence.

If you were considering "switching" back then, a big question was where could you go for service or problems with Macs? Best Buy? Curcuit City? Comp USA? The local computer store? Of course not!
Sure, die-hard Mac folk were comfortable sending their systems to Apple, but switchers were going to need a little more comfort than that.
And not just for service. For stupid questions too. The neighborhood geek who you asked for help restarting your Gateway would just shrug if you asked about a Mac back in the day. The GB offered people the quick and friendly hand-holding that they were going to need.

The halo couldn't do it alone...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #20 of 55
I agree with Bageljoey: the interesting part of the article (besides the "wow, that's a lot of money" aspect) is the bit about Jobs a) initially opposing the Genius Bar and b) being convinced to accept them anyway. How about that, Jobs listens to and accepts the judgement of his key people. You'd never know it based on the conventional "wisdom" about the man.
post #21 of 55
Apple would be 50% what it is in every way if not for the Genius Bars. Come to the countries or cities where there are no official Apple Stores and the Apple experience is an order of magnitude lower.

That said, Retail jobs are a real b*ch. Can't imagine going back to it. But who knows, you learn a lot of things about humanity.

Overall, the Apple Store experience is still a notch above the Authorized Reseller experience. As such... I hope for more Apple Stores around the world. I also hope they continue to address issues that are raised about employment dissatisfaction (which happens from time to time) at Apple Stores.

*sigh*
Life is Complex
but
Can Be Simple
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

In Ron's case, he's cashing in on the fruits of the labor of all those peons at the Apple Retail Stores. Besides his own labor, of course.
post #23 of 55
APPLE rewarding those that have brought success and innovation to a great company. EVERY COMPANY should follow in Apples foot steps.
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

So you think we we were better off under George "M" Bush?

I think nearly all US presidents in my lifetime have all been horrible, because the parties from whence they rise are horrible.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #25 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah... the possibility of having to pay a couple percent more to pay for the commons that make that windfall possible is just oppressive.

Yes. Of course it is. Anyone who is interested in protecting their own interests will be concerned about tens or hundreds-of-thousands of dollars of unnecessary taxes taken from their pockets only to be misspent on wrongheaded public policies or siphoned off to fight wars one does not agree with, or to pay for more ridiculous pet projects for some crooked Senator off in backwater country.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #26 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

It's obvious we were better off under Bush and Cheney right?

/facepalm

Think outside the left-right lie you've been spoonfed since childhood.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post

Sorry, was there any news here?

Also, Obama = Bush so you can all stop arguing.

Aha. Someone's been paying attention.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

In Ron's case, he's cashing in on the fruits of the labor of all those peons at the Apple Retail Stores. Besides his own labor, of course.

Hats off to the peons.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes. Of course it is. Anyone who is interested in protecting their own interests will be concerned about tens or hundreds-of-thousands of dollars of unnecessary taxes taken from their pockets only to be misspent on wrongheaded public policies or siphoned off to fight wars one does not agree with, or to pay for more ridiculous pet projects for some crooked Senator off in backwater country.

Or perhaps reducing the depth of the recession unfettered capitalism has wrought? Interesting sig you have. You could say exactly the same thing about recent governments of any colour.
post #30 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

First was Bob Mansfield, who a little over a week ago exercised 40,000 stock options at a strike price of $36.54, selling them on the open market for $308 a share to net a profit of $10,858,400 before taxes and fees, according to a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.


Meanwhile, Apple retail 'Genius' Ron Johnson on Thursday took receipt of his third mega-million dollar payload in as many years. According to SEC filings, he exercised 150,000 options at a strike price of $11.73, selling them in multiple trades at a weighted average of $306.07 per share to clear a whopping $44,151,000 in profit before taxes.
]


Generally insider selling is treated as a weak indication that the stock is poised to fall in value. Insider buying is definitely a good sign, but insider selling can sometimes be a major down signal for a stock.
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing Steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in Washington... home of the anti-business mob.

So where will they put the cash? Into something that produces less capital gain? I don't see how your rationale makes any sense.
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple would be 50% what it is in every way if not for the Genius Bars. Come to the countries or cities where there are no official Apple Stores and the Apple experience is an order of magnitude lower.

IME, the Genii are average kids with average knowledge. They are no better than the average kids who work at Best Buy or anywhere else in low-level retail.

They have made statements to me that were contradicted by Apple's own webpages. Too many assume that they know more about computers that the customer.

The Genii are useful, just like the kids at Geek Squad. But they are no better or worse than other typical PBTCs in retail support roles, or at typical help-center phone banks.

If Steve was opposed to having tech support in his retail stores, it would surprise me greatly. I don't know what to make of the story, but I can't believe it is so straightforward as has been reported. It sounds like it has been translated too many times to be accurate, like a game of telephone.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

misspent on wrongheaded public policies or siphoned off to fight wars one does not agree with, or to pay for more ridiculous pet projects for some crooked Senator off in backwater country.

Your problem seems to be with how tax money is spent. No percentage increase or decrease in rates will have any affect on that stuff whatsoever.

You may be barking up the wrong tree. You don't oppose paying a fair amount of tax, you oppose waste.

Two different things.

Keep in mind, however, that many folks cry about waste, when really they just want more disposable income for themselves, so they can buy a third Jet-Ski or the deluxe cabin on the cruise. But that's not you, is it?
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamsandwich View Post

exercising their right to sell their stock has nothing to do with opposing steve, it's likely to avoid the capital gains tax increases thanks to our glorious leader in washington... Home of the anti-business mob.

++++1
post #35 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Huh?
Where did this comment come from?

Oh please. Do you follow business and politics?
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

So you think we we were better off under George "M" Bush?

The president doesn't write laws. The Democratic Congress did.
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

IME, the Genii are average kids with average knowledge. They are no better than the average kids who work at Best Buy or anywhere else in low-level retail.

They have made statements to me that were contradicted by Apple's own webpages. Too many assume that they know more about computers that the customer.

The Genii are useful, just like the kids at Geek Squad. But they are no better or worse than other typical PBTCs in retail support roles, or at typical help-center phone banks.

If Steve was opposed to having tech support in his retail stores, it would surprise me greatly. I don't know what to make of the story, but I can't believe it is so straightforward as has been reported. It sounds like it has been translated too many times to be accurate, like a game of telephone.

Come to the cities and countries with no official Apple Stores, many don't have actual tech support desks, just salespeople and collection points. Where there are tech support desks at these Apple Reseller retail stores, the kids are below-average with below-average or little knowledge.

In the US I'm not sure if the Genius Bar is no better than other retail support or phone help. I'm not in the US or a country with an official Apple Store so I'll have to pass on judgement on this one.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two of Steve Jobs' top lieutenants saw big pay days during the month of October, with Apple's Mac hardware chief and retail mastermind both cashing in on stock options that combined to total of more than $55 million.

First was Bob Mansfield, who a little over a week ago exercised 40,000 stock options at a strike price of $36.54, selling them on the open market for $308 a share to net a profit of $10,858,400 before taxes and fees, according to a regulatory filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Mansfield made his way to Apple following its acquisition of Raycer Graphics in 1999 and within just a few years emerged as one of the leaders of the company's then ailing Mac division. In 2008, he was subsequently promoted to Senior Vice President of Mac Hardware Engineering, becoming the first public face of Mac systems development since the rocky departure of Tim Bucher back in November of 2004.

Since then, Jobs has entrusted Mansfield with heightened responsibilities, assigning him the new role of Apple's Senior Vice President of Mac and Devices Hardware Engineering this August to cope with the abrupt exit of Mark Papermaster, who oversaw iPod and iPhone engineering for a year and change leading up to this summer's iPhone 4 "Antennagate" debacle.

Meanwhile, Apple retail 'Genius' Ron Johnson on Thursday took receipt of his third mega-million dollar payload in as many years. According to SEC filings, he exercised 150,000 options at a strike price of $11.73, selling them in multiple trades at a weighted average of $306.07 per share to clear a whopping $44,151,000 in profit before taxes.

Johnson was lured away from Target by Jobs in 2000 to spearhead the company's fledgeling retail business. He's renowned not only for crafting an international chain of 317 retail stores that are among the world's most profitable per square foot, but also for pioneering the extremely successful "Genius Bar" concept found inside those stores, in the face of initial stiff opposition from Jobs.

Almost three years ago to the date, Johnson exercised the 700,000 options at $23.72 apiece, raking in a profit of nearly $113 million after selling the shares on the market for between $185 to $185.21. He followed that up this past March by moving 200,000 options for a profit of roughly $46 million.

In years prior, Johnson also completed sales of Apple stock for profits of $9.6 million, $22.6 million, $7 million, and 8 million, bringing his combined total of stock-based compensation while at Apple to at least $250 million.

According to filings with the SEC, Johnson still holds 232,875 beneficially owned shares of Apple.

They deserve it working hard to earn this type of money.The old cliche you do not get paid for nothing.
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Huh?
Where did this comment come from?

When you have all those teabags dangling from the brim of your hat, it's hard to see properly or make much sense at the keyboard I suppose.
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

IME, the Genii are average kids with average knowledge. They are no better than the average kids who work at Best Buy or anywhere else in low-level retail.

They have made statements to me that were contradicted by Apple's own webpages. Too many assume that they know more about computers that the customer.

The Genii are useful, just like the kids at Geek Squad. But they are no better or worse than other typical PBTCs in retail support roles, or at typical help-center phone banks.

If Steve was opposed to having tech support in his retail stores, it would surprise me greatly. I don't know what to make of the story, but I can't believe it is so straightforward as has been reported. It sounds like it has been translated too many times to be accurate, like a game of telephone.

I totally agree with this.

I waited for years for an actual Apple store to come to my town, but since it came it's been a lesser customer experience overall than before the store was there. Back in the day, you could actually get better customer service out of the web side of things.

All the local Apple store and the "genius bar" means to me is another bar of clumsy idiots that has to be leaped over before you get someone with any knowledge to actually handle your problem. I imagine they are good for the average joe, answering questions about how this program works or how to get the printer working etc., but for any kind of serious problem with a product, they are basically useless. Also, the Apple "managers" inside each Apple store often leave a lot to be desired personality wise, and generally muck up the works by micromanaging their employees IME.

Maybe my Apple store is different from most, but I find it crowded, hard to find help, and the staff to be borderline incompetent and downright anti-customer at times.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's Mac and Retail bosses cash in on over $55 million in options