or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Conway was a nazi!

Conway was a nazi!

post #1 of 9
Yes,definitely,I found a swastika in The Game of Life.By the way does anyone know if there is a complete taxonomy of the creatures in the game? Any information would be appreciated.
post #2 of 9
Twitty? Tim? Who the hell is Conway?
post #3 of 9
Conway, this name sounds me familiar but i can get it.
Can you enlightened us ? Rick1138
post #4 of 9
(John?) Conway invented the `game of life`. its a computer simulation of some kind of paramecia or virii or something tiny like that. they live, die and multiply based on how many neighbors they have. you can get mac versions on versiontracker.com or download.com, or search google.com. if u take cs it'll probably get menioned at some pt.

as for the nazism, lol. just b/c u saw a swastica doesn't mean conway had ne thing to do with it. and i think theres an old version of the game (made for MacOS that had a large listing of the freaky freakys. i don't know of any definitive complete listing tho.
post #5 of 9
I was joking about the Nazism,but I really did find a swastika,actually several,in a simulation.And if anyone is interested Conway is a very interesting mathematician-he wrote extensively on game theory,crystallographic groups and orbifolds-his books are very readable-the hallmark of a great mathematician.The Game of Life is particular version of 2d cellular automata.The game of life is composed of a grid of sqares,which theoretically is infinite,but in pratical applications must be bounded.Each grid has two states,living and dead,most commonly represented by black and white squares respectively.The state of a square in the next time step is determined by the state of its eight surrounding neighbors in the current time step.In the case of Conway's Life,the rules are that if a dead square has two or three living neighbors,then it comes alive.If a square is alive it remains alive only if it has exactly two alive neighbors.Conway's Life is one of 65,536 possible configurations of the ruleset,it has come to be known as the ruleset that produces the most interesting results.There is a good shareware Classic app called LifeLab that enables you to play this game,it's the tool I used to find the Swastikas.

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Rick1138 ]</p>
post #6 of 9
It reminds me a little bit of the game "Go".

[quote]Conway's Life is one of 65,536 possible configurations of the ruleset<hr></blockquote>

Hows about a 32 bit version?
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a...
post #7 of 9
A 32 bit ruleset would have 4,294,967,296 configurations,or 4 gigabits of information.
post #8 of 9
Bah. Swastikas shouldn't be associated with Nazism anyway.
post #9 of 9
Right, sanskrit for well-being.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Conway was a nazi!