or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug - Page 2

post #41 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

DST is stupid. Everybody needs to stop doing it.

What is DST? (In Arizona, we don't use day light savings time. It gets confusing when trying to remember what time it is in other places. "Are we 2 hours or 3 hours different from the east coast?")
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordeagle View Post

Same here!

I'm in Austin, TX USA and mine went off an hour early this moning (iPhone 4) however, my wife's 3GS went off at the regular time!
post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

What is DST? (In Arizona, we don't use day light savings time. It gets confusing when trying to remember what time it is in other places. "Are we 2 hours or 3 hours different from the east coast?")

Wouldn't it be great if a handheld device such as your phone could translate that for you on the fly?

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Wouldn't it be great if a handheld device such as your phone could translate that for you on the fly?

It would actually take me more time when on a call with a client, for me to move the device from my ear, use an app to look up the time in their state, than to just memorize the current time change. I was just commenting to the fact that in a state with no "stupid DST", we still have to take it into consideration for the rest of the country.
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Reply
post #45 of 81
If everybody used an iPhone, everybody would have gotten an extra hour of sleep, and nobody would complain. The real problem here is the people who didn't use iPhones to wake up, since they ended up starting the day before the well-rested iPhone users. But I don't blame them for being grumpy, I'm grumpy too if I don't get enough sleep.
post #46 of 81
I am in Europe. My timezone is set correctly. iPhone changed time and I did not have any problem with alarm, it sounded at the correct time. I have iPhone 3G with iOS 3.1.3.
post #47 of 81
Both my macs and my iphone got their time synchronized by themselves (in Romania, Eastern Europe). The iphone alarm rang at 3:40 AM as I set it. And I had no trouble caching my London plane as planned.
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

So long as you mean by making it permanent!
post #49 of 81
DST is a tricky thing to get right. It is changing all the time, different in some regions and if you are programming it, you don't have any real world way to test it prior to the actual event. Sure it can be simulated but you never know for sure.

I think we should bail on DST altogether. I don't like fake things including fake time. I'm not really a morning person anyway. That is when the daylight issue is more significant because you are not fully alert having just awakened. There are reports that the change in time may cause auto accidents to increase as well. By evening you should have your wits about you so it is less of a factor then.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #50 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdbauw View Post

How can anybody be an hour late? Since on sunday morning the clock was set back from 3 A.M. to 2 A.M. the alarm should go off an hour early if it did not adjust!

Well, but the bug makes the alarm go 1 hour AFTER the time it was set. Who knows which algorithm the use for timing...
post #51 of 81
I too woke up late, and it is very annoying to fine it is a known bug that they have not bothered to publicise. Now if they issue the software update before the US ends DST next week, that will doubly p*ss me off.
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

DST is a tricky thing to get right. It is changing all the time, different in some regions and if you are programming it, you don't have any real world way to test it prior to the actual event. Sure it can be simulated but you never know for sure.

I think we should bail on DST altogether. I don't like fake things including fake time. I'm not really a morning person anyway. That is when the daylight issue is more significant because you are not fully alert having just awakened. There are reports that the change in time may cause auto accidents to increase as well. By evening you should have your wits about you so it is less of a factor then.

It might be difficult to get right, but they got in right in iOS3, iOS2 ....
post #53 of 81
Forget DST, we never fixed Y2K bug. We are living in 1910.
post #54 of 81
I have the alarm on my iP4 (iOS 4.1) set for weekdays and it had automatically adjusted to the new time and got me up as usual. No problems here in old blighty.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #55 of 81
Just a weird, random thought: does the fact that today is 011110 have anything to do with it?
post #56 of 81
Steve Jobs to crowd: "Calm down, people, the problem is already fixed!"
post #57 of 81
My alarm clock went off an hour EARLY this morning, it's an old one that didn't change. How can they go off an hour LATE? That's two hours later than usual?

~Callum
post #58 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just a weird, random thought: does the fact that today is 011110 have anything to do with it?

Interesting thought.
But wouldn't Jan 11th 2010 have given the same Palindrome, at least the way the US types it?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #59 of 81
I know a lot of people who were late today because of this here in Switzerland. Those are moments when I love my ancient, radio controlled alarm clock.

In other news, Steve Jobs was heard being furious on the phone with the World Energy Council, demanding the abolition of DST.
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
post #60 of 81
I like Daylight Savings Time and I'm even on the western side of the Eastern (USA) time zone where it's less needed. But as a sign of how things change... the excuse now for getting rid of DST is that it messes up iPhones and the like while the original reason for not liking it way back when was that the cows didn't change their internal clocks. They still needed to be milked according to what time they (the cows) thought it was. OK, maybe that was just folklore.

More history. It was the railroads that necessitated the creation of "standard time". Prior to that it was often a practice for each locality to set their own time by solar noon. Of course that leads to an infinite number of de facto time zones. I'd like to see an iPhone deal with that one!
post #61 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

Exactly. It's failed miserably at saving energy - never mind the costs associated with screwups like this over some bone-headed artificial manipulation of time.
post #62 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Europe jumped the gun.

Actually, we changed it - not Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ht_saving_time
post #63 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually, we changed it - not Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ht_saving_time

And thank God we did - the only thing that's stupid is "Standard Time" - wtf is the point in having it bright at 6AM in the morning when over half the nation doesn't even have to be ato work until 8 or 9? There has been study after study after study that killing afternoon sunlight has a profound effect on depression so why in the world have we not made DST standard time? You're giving up an hour of worthless sunlight for an hour of sunlight that actually has a profound effect. The only thing stupid about it is the fact that we revert back to standard time just as we need it most!
post #64 of 81

Assigning time-zones is, in itself, an artificial manipulation of time so that's little more than a pot and kettle argument.
post #65 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Assigning time-zones is, in itself, an artificial manipulation of time so that's little more than a pot and kettle argument.

Time zones may be an artificial construct, but they are one born from practicality. DST shares none of that. Furthermore, before DST, time zones were consistent. Now we are randomly changing the time periods within some time zones (but not all!) based on arbitrary and superficial arguments from whoever can convince whom to change things around on an apparent whim - much like the latest change that caused this problem.

Time zones and the problems of DST aren't the same at all...
post #66 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Steve Jobs to crowd: "Calm down, people, the problem is already fixed!"

Just don't set the alarm that way
post #67 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Apple don't acknowledge bugs, no matter how small and stupid they are.

Yep, it is annoying all right. We have had that bug for ages in NZ. I have to use my BB for morning wake ups, which sucks. I don't like using that thing more than absolutely necessary.
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually, we changed it - not Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ht_saving_time

Yeah, it was supposed to "save energy" (which, ironically, would potentially drive up the unit costs paid to energy producers). In reality it had no net effect on energy usage except to waste billions of IT dollars in 2007 as everyone tried to recode applications and hardware for the change from the first Sunday in April/last Sunday in October to the second Sunday in March/first Sunday in November.

If they are going to monkey will this stuff, they ought to do what they did in WW2 which was to just make the DST apply year round, once and for all.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Finally, some common sense!


BTW, in the US Daylight Savings Time goes back to "Standard Time" (i.e. normal, non-shifted time) on the first Sunday in November: next weekend. Europe jumped the gun.

But your point is well taken, "Fall Back" means you'd get an extra hour of sleep.

BTW, after implementing DST, Europe hasn't changed it, the US did (so we're just behind ... again ). I remember having to install patches on Windows Mobile devices when this happened a few years back. What a pain ... DST is one of the most moronic, annoying ideas to ever get approved.
post #70 of 81
I don't get to see sunlight morning or evening in the fall/winter. I am an Architect in a window-less office

Change your work hours, if you don't like the light conditions.

BTW: I heard somewhere that sleep deprivation can have anti-depressant effects. random thought ...
post #71 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by toes View Post

BTW, after implementing DST, Europe hasn't changed it, the US did (so we're just behind ... again ). I remember having to install patches on Windows Mobile devices when this happened a few years back. What a pain ... DST is one of the most moronic, annoying ideas to ever get approved.

Then tell your government to get rid of DST. I'm sure they'll sympathize with your distaste for applying patches once every decade or more.
post #72 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Yeah, it was supposed to "save energy" (which, ironically, would potentially drive up the unit costs paid to energy producers). In reality it had no net effect on energy usage except to waste billions of IT dollars in 2007 as everyone tried to recode applications and hardware for the change from the first Sunday in April/last Sunday in October to the second Sunday in March/first Sunday in November.

If they are going to monkey will this stuff, they ought to do what they did in WW2 which was to just make the DST apply year round, once and for all.

If it cost "billions of IT dollars" in 2007 to move the expiration of N. American DST by one week in 2007 then all of those IT departments should be fired for incompetence.
post #73 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdbauw View Post

How can anybody be an hour late? Since on sunday morning the clock was set back from 3 A.M. to 2 A.M. the alarm should go off an hour early if it did not adjust!

Yeah, that confused me too. Its as if they tried to fix it but over-did it.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #74 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I'm in Austin, TX USA and mine went off an hour early this moning (iPhone 4) however, my wife's 3GS went off at the regular time!

Could be a firmware issue, maybe the issue only effects iPhone 4. Weird.
post #75 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Just don't set the alarm that way

That may not be as daft a suggestion as you think it is. Setting your alarm differently - ie so that it's NOT a repeating alarm seems to get around the problem.

My alarm was set for 7am, repeating every weekday, but it failed to go off until 8am. On Sunday, however, my alarm went off at 9am as it should. The only difference (apart from the time obviously!) was that Sunday's wasn't repeating whereas this morning's alarm was.
post #76 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree, end the madness. End the age-old practice of adjusting the clock!

I firmly oppose your position. I don't want the sun coming up at 4:15AM.

I believe jurisdictions in latitudes above 45° should change the clocks 4 times per year to take advantage of summer evenings while retaining "standard" time for winter so children can get to and from school in daylight.

I'd move forward one hour on the first weekend in March, another hour on the first weekend in May, move back one on the first weekend in September and another on the first weekend of November.

The fact that some people claim they can't handle a minor clock adjustment when their bodies already adjust to the changing light of seasons and weather and to different sleep/wake patterns 104 times per year (the Friday-Saturday and Sunday-Monday transitions) makes me think some people just like to complain.
post #77 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I firmly oppose your position. I don't want the sun coming up at 4:15AM.

I believe jurisdictions in latitudes above 45° should change the clocks 4 times per year to take advantage of summer evenings while retaining "standard" time for winter so children can get to and from school in daylight.

I'd move forward one hour on the first weekend in March, another hour on the first weekend in May, move back one on the first weekend in September and another on the first weekend of November.

The fact that some people claim they can't handle a minor clock adjustment when their bodies already adjust to the changing light of seasons and weather and to different sleep/wake patterns 104 times per year (the Friday-Saturday and Sunday-Monday transitions) makes me think some people just like to complain.

+ 1. Definitely.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #78 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

ha ha. the lesson here is to wake up and stop believing that apple products fall from cupertino heaven without flaw....
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If it cost "billions of IT dollars" in 2007 to move the expiration of N. American DST by one week in 2007 then all of those IT departments should be fired for incompetence.

WTF are you talking about? Hundreds of hours were spent by the company I work alone testing systems with mission time components. Repeated over thousands of other companies. Microsoft alone spent huge amounts of efforts on this -- and not completely successfully, either (cough, Exchange Server, cough, cough).

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #80 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

It was the railroads that necessitated the creation of "standard time". Prior to that it was often a practice for each locality to set their own time by solar noon.

Indeed. I think it's worth emphasizing that standard time was an invention of private corporations--that it arose organically, not by government fiat--and that it's useful.

Why should government be in the business of time, telling me quite literally when to rise and rest?

A big reason for DST these days is nothing practical. It's because of lobbyists. Sporting good and candy consortiums...
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
Reply
When will the governments realize it's got to be funky, sexy ladies?
-Flight of the Conchords
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug