or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HyperMac to be rebranded HyperJuice after Apple legal action
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HyperMac to be rebranded HyperJuice after Apple legal action

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Accessory maker HyperMac announced Monday that its products will be rebranded HyperJuice, as part of negotiations with Apple following a lawsuit from the Mac maker.

"In the coming weeks, the 'HyperMac' brand name will be renamed to 'HyperJuice' as part of our ongoing comprehensive licensing negotiations with Apple regarding a wide array of technologies and issues," Daniel Chin, president of Sanho Corporation, said in a press release.

Sanho was sued by Apple in September, as the company alleged violation of patents it owns related to the MagSafe charger, as well as cables that use the iPod 30-pin connection. Instead of mimicking Apple's patented MagSafe connectors, Sanho's products actually rely on recycled official MagSafe products made by Apple.

Monday's comments would suggest that Apple's issues with Sanho went beyond the use of MagSafe cables, and also included the "Mac" name in the company's HyperMac product line. The company gave no indication of what its "comprehensive licensing negotiations" might mean for its product line in the future.

Named in the lawsuit are a number of HyperMac products for Apple's line of MacBooks that rely on magnetic power connectors. The complaint also lists external batteries that include a 30-pin dock connector compatible with Apple's iPhone, iPod and iPad ecosystem of devices."

Sanho has been forced to cease the sale of patented MagSafe MacBook charging cables. The company took the opportunity Monday to advertise that the sale of its MacBook external batteries will cease at midnight Pacific time on Nov. 2.

"While we will continue to sell the same batteries together with the rest of our product line after November 2nd, they will not be able to charge MacBooks without the cables," the company said.
post #2 of 15
There are a number of accessory companies and resellers out there with "Mac" in their names... Is Apple going to go after all of them, or just the ones infringing on patents? And "Hyperjuice"? Sounds like a bad energy drink...
post #3 of 15
Great batteries -- just travelled with their 150 Wh battery in tow and found it excellent for both my 17-inch MacBook Pro and iPod touch. Brilliant product!

Real pity that Apple couldn't accommodate them, but from the sound of it, Sanho wasn't exactly sterling at working with Apple. Here's hoping for official products of a similar quality in the future, from someone, somewhere.
post #4 of 15
So they're selling STEROIDS now? HyperJuice sounds like something Barry Bonds drinks..
post #5 of 15
I would called it HyperCharge.

MagSafe got their attention and Mac in their name got them easily slapped. Not having an iPod dock license didn't help.

I don't believe apple can truly stop someone from selling used and modified MagSafe cables, but maybe they can. Too much attention brings too much scrutiny.
post #6 of 15
Apple wasted time and money on getting them to change to such a stupid ass name?

how boring
post #7 of 15
So they are going to continue to sell the batteries, but without the cables.

There must be someone selling these cables 'elsewhere.' Where is this?
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So they're selling STEROIDS now? HyperJuice sounds like something Barry Bonds drinks..

Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #9 of 15
Hyperjuice? Really? Why? Are TobaccoCancer, ILoveNazi, MolestBarbie, IamaBanker, SwingScrotum, SpinningCowPie taken?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

So they are going to continue to sell the batteries, but without the cables. There must be someone selling these cables 'elsewhere.' Where is this?

Make your own the same way they did? So the batteries will be $100 cheaper since they don't have to buy the Apple charger they cannibalized to get the MagSafe connection, right?

They could provide a cable with a cigarette lighter so you could use the Apple Travel Charger" While not ideal, since you will loose some capacity to the inefficiency of having the adaptor in the middle, it would let them offer batteries to those who really do need the extra battery capacity.
post #11 of 15
What's next, JuiceDonalds?

Sad that Apple is picking on a company that makes quality versions of accessories that Apple should be making but refuses to (extended batteries, car charger/adapters, etc).

I can understand going after the guys that make iPod cables that sell on eBay for 5 cents and are pure garbage... but c'mon, these guys are trying to fill a void with top-quality products.
post #12 of 15
You can't use the name Mac in a market that Apple operates in (e.g. electronic goods). Last I checked, MacDonald's does not sell computers or other electronic goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

What's next, JuiceDonalds?

Sad that Apple is picking on a company that makes quality versions of accessories that Apple should be making but refuses to (extended batteries, car charger/adapters, etc).

I can understand going after the guys that make iPod cables that sell on eBay for 5 cents and are pure garbage... but c'mon, these guys are trying to fill a void with top-quality products.
post #13 of 15
Got my order in. Should have done it earlier. I hope it gets filled.

I understand Apple wants to make great batteries inside their MacBooks, batteries that don't require bringing an external along, but until they do and being that they are starting to seal in batteries, they ought to license MagSafe for official Mac accessories.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You can't use the name Mac in a market that Apple operates in (e.g. electronic goods). Last I checked, MacDonald's does not sell computers or other electronic goods.

Plus it's McDonald's, and predates Apple by twenty years or so.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post

There are a number of accessory companies and resellers out there with "Mac" in their names.

If it's in the computer market, it is possible. Mind you many of those companies probably licensed the ability to use the name when they licensed using needed tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Real pity that Apple couldn't accommodate them, but from the sound of it, Sanho wasn't exactly sterling at working with Apple.

IF Sanho had bothered to ask, but they didn't. That's really the main issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Make your own the same way they did? So the batteries will be $100 cheaper since they don't have to buy the Apple charger they cannibalized to get the MagSafe connection, right?

From what I understand they were not buying them retail but were getting them from recycling/ewaste centers. So they were probably spending more like $1-2 for each.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › HyperMac to be rebranded HyperJuice after Apple legal action