or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netbook demand sinks as 80% of tablet buyers want Apple's iPad

Netbook demand sinks as 80% of tablet buyers want Apple's iPad

post #1 of 83
A new survey has found that consumer demand for low-cost, low-power netbooks remains low, as touchscreen tablets continue to gain popularity. And Apple's iPad still dominates mindshare, even as competitors like Samsung and Research in Motion tout their own tablets.

The results of the October survey of 3,108 customers were released Tuesday by ChangeWave. Respondents were asked about devices they plan to buy in the next 90 days, and the results show that just 14 percent of laptop buyers are eyeing a netbook, a full 10 points below the peak of netbooks in June 2009.

"The decline of netbooks is attributable to a combination of factors including the end of the recession and the mounting penetration of tablet computers -- notably the Apple iPad," wrote Paul Carton, vice president of research with ChangeWave. "Moreover, in a close-up look at tablet demand trends for the holidays, our ChangeWave survey finds continuing momentum for the iPad."

Netbooks have been on the decline in 2010, as PC makers have reduced shipments since the iPad launched in the U.S. April. In the last quarter, Apple sold 4.19 million iPads, and the company has ramped up distribution for the upcoming holiday buying season.

The survey found that despite a slew of announcements from competitors, consumer interest in the iPad remains far above its peers. Of those polled,80 percent said they are most likely to purchase an iPad, while 8 percent opted for RIM's Playbook, and 3 percent prefer the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The Playbook is expected to launch in early 2011, while the Galaxy Tab debuts this month in the U.S. Both will sport a 7-inch screen smaller than the 9.7-inch multi-touch display on Apple's iPad.

Those will also have to overcome the overwhelming satisfaction iPad owners have expressed with their purchase. Nearly three-quarters -- 72 percent -- of iPad owners polled by ChangeWave categorized themselves as "very satisfied" with the iPad, while another 23 percent said they are "somewhat satisfied." Just 1 percent labeled themselves as "somewhat unsatisfied" with the iPad.
post #2 of 83
and the other 20% want an 11" MacBook Air
post #3 of 83
""Those will also have to overcome the overwhelming satisfaction iPad owners have expressed with their purchase. Nearly two-thirds -- 72 percent --..."

Two thirds is 66.66 percent- well below 72%. I think you meant to write "nearly three-quarters", no?
post #4 of 83
Although I'm sure the iPad is a factor I wouldn't descirbe it as the main factor. Considering that many consumers have already bought netbooks and found them lacking in many areas has probably had a bigger effect.

If you spend £250 on a netbook and discover that it's a piece of shit you aren't likely to run back out there and buy another one in a hurry, instead you'd console yourself with the old "you get what you pay for" mentality and look for a proper notebook or perhaps a new iPad.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #5 of 83
deleted
post #6 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

and the other 20% want an 11" MacBook Air

I almost split my drink dude . very funny.
The ipad is know in over 6000 locations and smaller independent resellers will also get the ipad either direct or thru ATT. So in 2 yrs 20.000. usa locations and 4,000 canadian bacons shops will also be selling or bundling data time .

DATA TIME is the next monster out their and the race to the pricing bottom will start with sprint.

Apple sits back and lets the market place tell it what it wants .
I do see a new model having a usb port and older models keeping its no port policy.

Apple's data farm is over filled already . Both of them in SC.
So apple will have grow 5 or 6 new quad farms soon enough. Bringing data charges way down and making apple the guard wall against over pricing for data .5$ a gig a month is real bad .

Someone said sell your aapl . I waited 4 weeks and it went up 120 points . I ask him well well dude whats up and he said he will re buy soon . STUPID

hold all you aapl as gold . a company split can give you triple shares

and a stock split of 5 for every 2 you hold ill also bode well

and apple at some point may just buy back 10bn $ to options for its own people .

hold you stock

rant over

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Other tables are shipping already? There's so few that 80% seems kinda low.

This is what people want to buy. Not what they are buying.
post #8 of 83
Hey, I like my Samsung netbook. It works great as a stand-alone music server for my home stereo, running a Logitech Squeezebox. Nice little jukebox. If the iPad came with 128Gb+ of memory, I'd consider it, but I can't fit my 90Gb of .flac/.m4a files on any current iPads. Oh, and the Sammy cost only $280.
post #9 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Hey, I like my Samsung netbook. It works great as a stand-alone music server for my home stereo, running a Logitech Squeezebox. Nice little jukebox. If the iPad came with 128Gb+ of memory, I'd consider it, but I can't fit my 90Gb of .flac/.m4a files on any current iPads. Oh, and the Sammy cost only $280.

Sounds like it worked out very well for you. You're proof that the iPad will never fully overtake netbook sales, only take away the customers that would be better with an ipad.
post #10 of 83
Quote:

good use for a netbook, I'll have to start watching craigslist.
post #11 of 83
Quote:

You do realize that you can stream audio and video over WiFi and 3G from your home (or any computer) to your iPad.

See the StreamToMe app & its personal computer companion ServeToMe.

We, routinely, stream home movies of soccer highlights to show others during practices -- in the middle of a park. There are 4 separate Macs running ServeToMe so we have a selection of 10,000 songs and 800 videos.

In addition, these Macs each run a VideoCam server (iCam/iCamServe) when we're out and about -- so we can monitor what's going on at home. Those damn cats keep triggering alerts (push notifications) as they move about!

The only time you really need to store AV content on your iPad is for long car trips, etc. where WiFi is not readily available and 3G data use would be too expensive.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #12 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

It's still best to take these kind of numbers with a huge grain of salt though.

There is another report out this morning that the iPad has captured 95% of the tablet market world-wide, with Android taking up 2% to 3% in "second place" even though no Android tablets have really shipped.

These numbers usually come from individual analysts working alone with a calculator and a bunch of data. They are rarely accurate beyond the general trend they indicate and should be considered "guestimates."
post #13 of 83
Interesting. I always wondered why Apple seemed to advertize video on the iPad. I thought to myself, "you can't play a DVD on it......and who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

The streaming from a server of some sort makes more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You do realize that you can stream audio and video over WiFi and 3G from your home (or any computer) to your iPad.

See the StreamToMe app & its personal computer companion ServeToMe.

We, routinely, stream home movies of soccer highlights to show others during practices -- in the middle of a park. There are 4 separate Macs running ServeToMe so we have a selection of 10,000 songs and 800 videos.

In addition, these Macs each run a VideoCam server (iCam/iCamServe) when we're out and about -- so we can monitor what's going on at home. Those damn cats keep triggering alerts (push notifications) as they move about!

The only time you really need to store AV content on your iPad is for long car trips, etc. where WiFi is not readily available and 3G data use would be too expensive.

post #14 of 83
There isn't really anything in the original article that is the basis for this AI article to support any connection between iPad sales (and/or future tablet sales generally) and declining netbook sales. Maybe they have some data that support or suggest a connection, but they certainly did not present it and make the case for it.

Nevertheless, it is what I think ought to be expected. Some other numbers presented in the original article -- desktop sales up 1%, laptop sales flat -- also hint at how the personal computer market is likely to shake out over the next few years:

* Laptop sales have quite likely peaked, or very nearly peaked.
* Desktop sales have, or have nearly bottomed out.
* The fortunes of the laptop and desktop segments are poised to reverse.
* Tablets will displace netbooks for mobile computing...
* ...Except for very demanding users, who will turn to ultralight full laptops like the MBA.
* Smartphones will continue on their current trajectory independent of these trends.

(
* Netbooks may retain a toehold as bargain basement price computers when cost is the only important factor to a consumer.
* Traditional laptops will likely retain a slightly larger toehold for circumstances where desktop functionality is required, but space is at a premium -- e.g., students living in dorms.
)
post #15 of 83
Quote:

Interesting. I always wondered why Apple seemed to advertize video on the iPad. I thought to myself, "you can't play a DVD on it......and who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

Note, that is still playing video on the iPad, just like people have been doing on their iPhones and iPods for years. Outside of reading watching video is probably the 2nd most common usage for my iPad.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #16 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There isn't really anything in the original article that is the basis for this AI article to support any connection between iPad sales (and/or future tablet sales generally) and declining netbook sales. Maybe they have some data that support or suggest a connection, but they certainly did not present it and make the case for it.

I thought they linked to articles of others stating that the iPad has limited netbook sales this year.

Quote:
Nevertheless, it is what I think ought to be expected. Some other numbers presented in the original article -- desktop sales up 1%, laptop sales flat -- also hint at how the personal computer market is likely to shake out over the next few years:

Thats interesting. Desktop sales have been declining and notebook sales have been on the rise. I wonder if the iPad is showing its first signs of people buying it over a notebook and possibly the anecdotal trend of people buying a desktop as their stationary computing needs and iPad for their satellite computing needs, instead of having a single notebook for all computing needs.
post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Although I'm sure the iPad is a factor I wouldn't descirbe it as the main factor. Considering that many consumers have already bought netbooks and found them lacking in many areas has probably had a bigger effect.

If you spend £250 on a netbook and discover that it's a piece of **** you aren't likely to run back out there and buy another one in a hurry, instead you'd console yourself with the old "you get what you pay for" mentality and look for a proper notebook or perhaps a new iPad.

I think also the tiny laptop doesn't actually appeal to as many people as they thought, most everyone finds the screen & keyboard too cramped for everyday use. A touch interface doesn't suffer same draw backs, in fact it has a sort of magic about it that you can manipulate the device with your finger.

Apple was smart not to fall into the netbook craze, that's all it was & it is passing quickly. The 11" MBAir will sell good but probably won't ever exceed the iPad, it's kind of a niche device that appeals to specific exec types.
post #18 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Other tables are shipping already? There's so few that 80% seems kinda low.

I don't know if that is low or not. But it struck me that most of the listed alternatives are not available for sale, nor are they ever advertised. The RIM number I found surprisingly high. I guess their PR is effective.
post #19 of 83
Quote:

Have you seen the tiny boxes HP makes to do that? They are basically drive bays and IO for storing and serving media. I've only glanced at them.
post #20 of 83
I too am skeptical that netbook sales are being heavily influenced by iPad sales.

Certainly it is the storyline that many news outlets have been parroting. But as of yet I haven't seen any actual evidence that bears this out. Some people been repeating the story and pointing in a big circle as the supporting evidence.

It seems more likely that the recession and changing computing needs are the true cause. iPads probably have some influence. But it seems that the influence is being blown way out of perspective simply because the iPad is fun to talk about.
post #21 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That is very, very cool.
post #22 of 83
deleted
post #23 of 83
Quote:

Note that you still have to (somehow) load the movie onto your computer in order to stream it using these applications. Thankfully, this is a fairly simple task using "Handbrake". It can even break the encryption on DVDs if you happen to have VLC installed on the same computer. I have a few hundred of my own movies loaded into iTunes in "m4v" format. Many of them take up less than 1 GB of space in spite of the fact that they look great when streamed via AppleTV to my bigscreen. (I originally thought that that level of compression would cause significant quality degredation.) Because of this, we can fit quite a few movies on both of our 64GB iPads. Perhaps you have never experienced this process, so you didn't really understand how simple and space efficient it is.

Until now, I hadn't heard of "StreamToMe", and I'm definitely going to get it along with the associated server software. Meanwhile, my family has been doing a great deal of movie watching while we travel (road or plane trips). Before we go on such a trip, our daughters drag the movies they want into specific playlists identified for the purpose, and I hook up the iPads, which automatically sync the movies of their choices for our impending trip. It is already a great travel companion. Now, with these streaming apps, we can also have remote access to our entire library from our hotel rooms or our relatives homes (assuming they have WiFi). Even greater! (Thanks, Dick.)

So now, reviewing your question...

"who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

... the answer is (emphatically) ME!

Thompson
post #24 of 83
iPad killed the netbook.
post #25 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

But I think MacRulez still raises a good point. Want to buy is sometimes influenced by what is familiar and available. Given that the Playbook, Tab, etc are not yet in stores for the general public to see and know it exists, it's not really a shock that they want to buy an iPad.

Once they see the other two 'in the flesh' it is possible that the numbers will come up. Perhaps not hugely but I could see Apple's lead dropping down to more like 60% once all these other 'amazing' tablets are out. But 60% while some 6-7 other items share the other 40% still isn't shabby. Not to mention that while a result of being the only product on the market, this overwhelming lead is a dangerous territory anti-trust wise. It would actually benefit Apple legally to lose a little market share. They are still making bank hand over fist.

Let's also keep in mind that this is 3100 folks, gathered from who knows. And looking at other sources they are more than willing to admit that their results don't reflect the whole. So it's likely not a well formed population sample and was done by one of those magazine subscriber, web site members or joe on the street coming out of best buy methods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I thought they linked to articles of others stating that the iPad has limited netbook sales this year.

True, there have been tons of articles. And it is plausible that percent wise, netbook sales have gone down as the ipad captures the market that didn't see the point in a netbook or subsize notebook for whatever reason.

What would be interesting is to see how netbook sales are affected if you toss the Macbook Air into the mix, cause regardless of what Apple might say, it is a netbook, even in the 'it's a sub size notebook with lower performance' form that pretty much every netbook has been guilty of.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 83
Besides form factor there are other considerations people have when choosing to buy a computer.

1. There are varying needs i.e. casual computing vs. business/scientific/academic
2. There are various price points that influence purchasing decisions
3. There is software compatibility factors as well ( some applications have OS exclusivity )

Variety is good and a single product cannot fit everyones needs. I personally could not give up my MBP for an iPad because when I am on the road I need to be able to solve any issue that comes up. if for some reason they call me when I'm on vacation, it is going to require full capabilities to fix what ever is broken, otherwise they wouldn't have called me and would have fixed it themselves.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #27 of 83
This is just temporary. There is no way the iPad will succeed in the long run without flash.

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #28 of 83
To want a a RIM Playbook instead of an iPad is kind of like wanting a unicorn instead of a horse.
post #29 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Have you seen the tiny boxes HP makes to do that? They are basically drive bays and IO for storing and serving media. I've only glanced at them.

I think a cheap netbook (I'm guessing they will start showing up for $50 on the used market) would make a great media and print server. They should be easier to set up and a lot more flexible than the dedicated boxes. I never did get my print server working
post #30 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

... I personally could not give up my MBP for an iPad because when I am on the road I need to be able to solve any issue that comes up. if for some reason they call me when I'm on vacation, it is going to require full capabilities to fix what ever is broken, otherwise they wouldn't have called me and would have fixed it themselves.

But, would you give up your MBPro for a MBAir?

Quite likely, I think, and you fit into the relatively small category of people who actually need a mobile desktop experience. Most people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... That’s interesting. Desktop sales have been declining and notebook sales have been on the rise. I wonder if the iPad is showing it’s first signs of people buying it over a notebook and possibly the anecdotal trend of people buying a desktop as their stationary computing needs and iPad for their satellite computing needs, instead of having a single notebook for all computing needs.

I think this is the computing model of the future (and it will be the same with or without cloud): fixed workstations plus satellite devices. Satellite devices may be, depending on need, tablets or ultralight laptops, but tablets will be more prevalent. (Smartphones also serve as satellite devices, but are, and will remain, constrained in functionality and usability vs. tablets and UL laptops.)

Although, the article yesterday re NFC+fixed workstations points to another possible scenario where your "satellite device" is merely a repository, and the computing power is provided by a fixed workstation. This is further in the future, though, and depends on the ubiquity of fixed workstations supporting this functionality.

EDIT: Note that this NFC+fixed workstation mode of computing is still part of the Star Trek model that everyone, knowingly or not, is aiming for. Sometimes they carried around little data modules that they could just plug into any available computer to access and work with, and they always had exactly the tools they needed available.
post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, would you give up your MBPro for a MBAir?
Quite likely, I think, and you fit into the relatively small category of people who actually need a mobile desktop experience. Most people don't.

Not sure. I don't know that much about MBA. Can you run Parallels? I need to manage Windows servers sometimes. That is what I like about Macs. You have full UNIX, plus Windows, plus OS X desktop environment. Totally flexible and powerful solution and the weight of MBP isn't that much of a burden for me.

post #32 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

True, there have been tons of articles. And it is plausible that percent wise, netbook sales have gone down as the ipad captures the market that didn't see the point in a netbook or subsize notebook for whatever reason.

At this point the causation is speculative, though too coincidental to seem unlikely. Well have to see some real numbers and a long term trend to really know for sure. Playing devils advocate, it could be the economy is turning around so people are buying cheap notebooks over netbooks, or realizing that they get a lot more bang for their buck with a $400 notebook.

Quote:
What would be interesting is to see how netbook sales are affected if you toss the Macbook Air into the mix, cause regardless of what Apple might say, it is a netbook, even in the 'it's a sub size notebook with lower performance' form that pretty much every netbook has been guilty of.

I completely disagree. Netbooks are a low cost and small notebook form factor that came about specifically because of the Intel Atom and other such chips. The MacBook Air, Dell Adamo, Voodoo Envy and other ultra-portable notebooks are not netbooks.

The MacBook Air performs higher than cheap notebooks and far above any netbook on the market. It uses a C2D CPU and Nvidia IGP that are more powerful than most cheap notebooks and cost more, on their own, than most netbooks.
post #33 of 83
Quote:

Well:

1) In order to stream from a server, the video (DVD, etc.) has to reside on the server.

2) You can download videos to an iPad or stream them

3) You can sync any videos you have on your computer (we have 500) to your iPad.

So there are lots of ways to get content.

Also, it is fairly easy to write a server app for Mac OS X to stream to an iPhone or iPad.

If you are really lazy, you don't really need a streaming server on the computer. The iPad app just needs to "play" content from a remote URL, e.g. www.somesite.com/myVideo.mov.

To see what I mean, get the URL of any movie and enter it into Mobile Safari. Mobile Safari is just an app that can play a movie (in addition to surfing the web).

Here's one on my MobileMe:

http://web.me.com/dicklacara/Movies/...unstan%201.m4v

This really is trivial to do on a primitive level.

Where it becomes more complicated is when the server monitors bandwidth and adjusts the quality accordingly.

In California, we need to vote out of the Box...

post #34 of 83
Quote:

Not sure. I don't know that much about MBA. Can you run Parallels? I need to manage Windows servers sometimes. That is what I like about Macs. You have full UNIX, plus Windows, plus OS X desktop environment. Totally flexible and powerful solution and the weight of MBP isn't that much of a burden for me.

Yes, any of the MBAs can do Parallels well. They all have Intel VT. Youll want the 4GB, and depending on your workload they may not offer the right HW for your needs, but for the casual use of VMWare or Parallels for some esoteric app or checking how a webpage renders you should be fine.
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?id...64,36689,37262,
post #35 of 83
I agree that netbooks, themselves, have contributed to their demise. They've long been underpowered, and cries for more powerful systems at reasonable prices have mostly fallen on deaf ears. Then, they run either XP or Win 7 Starter which is not truly optimized for such low powered machines. Then there is the issue of the crappy hardware...

iPad is solid built, designed with purpose from the ground up, and plenty zippy. There is an expectation of quality from an Apple product, and it gets delivered with every product they make. The public has faith in what Apple sells them. That goes a long way.
post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

I too am skeptical that netbook sales are being heavily influenced by iPad sales.

Certainly there are many factors involved in the decline of netbooks. But in case you haven't noticed, while the Great Republican Recession is over TECHNICALLY (i.e. economy is no longer shrinking) the reality is a lot more grim in terms of any real recovery. So people are not turning away from them because they are so much richer now.

A drop from 24% to 14% (10 points) is a 42% drop, that is huge. People must be looking at alternatives for whatever reasons. Upscaling or moving over to iPad.

It would have been interesting to see actual sales figures so we can see what numbers we are talking about. How many units of netbooks and how many units of iPads. Then we could see the comparison. One thing is sure, someone is not too likely to buy both a netbook and an iPad.
post #37 of 83
Quote:

Besides form factor there are other considerations people have when choosing to buy a computer.

1. There are varying needs i.e. casual computing vs. business/scientific/academic
2. There are various price points that influence purchasing decisions
3. There is software compatibility factors as well ( some applications have OS exclusivity )

Variety is good and a single product cannot fit everyones needs. I personally could not give up my MBP for an iPad because when I am on the road I need to be able to solve any issue that comes up. if for some reason they call me when I'm on vacation, it is going to require full capabilities to fix what ever is broken, otherwise they wouldn't have called me and would have fixed it themselves.

When I moved from BBerry to iPhone I stopped taking my laptop everywhere, I can VPN to my work & provide full support via RDP & VNC (though painful on tiny screen). With the iPad this is even more possible & is actually not a frustrating trade off at all. Now VMWare just announced RDC client app coming to iPad that gives users a true iPad thin client. I am at a place now where I am seriously considering moving to iMac + iPad vs MBPro for next config, especially since I can now use iTap VNC to remote into all our Mac systems.

If you really examine the multitude of apps available for iPad I think you will find it actually lacks very little now in the way of network troubleshooting. Scany is great network scanning tool, WifiTrak is good tool for scanning available wifi networks. There are RDP, VNC, & SSH apps galore. There are office apps like quickoffice or the iWork apps. You can organize PDFs in iBook app, do markups & bookmark your reading. There are actually even a few things an iPad can do that I wish my Mac could. The more time I spend actually working with iPads at my work the more I'm finding I'm not so in love with a full sized, full featured laptop. Crazy part is I have a 13" MB & it is starting to feel too big & clunky!
post #38 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

This is just temporary. There is no way the iPad will succeed in the long run without flash.

-kpluck

Flash is a dying technology.
2010 iMac
32gb WiFi iPad
1st Gen. iPod Touch
2010 iMac
32gb WiFi iPad
1st Gen. iPod Touch
post #39 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Note that you still have to (somehow) load the movie onto your computer in order to stream it using these applications. Thankfully, this is a fairly simple task using "Handbrake". It can even break the encryption on DVDs if you happen to have VLC installed on the same computer. I have a few hundred of my own movies loaded into iTunes in "m4v" format. Many of them take up less than 1 GB of space in spite of the fact that they look great when streamed via AppleTV to my bigscreen. (I originally thought that that level of compression would cause significant quality degredation.) Because of this, we can fit quite a few movies on both of our 64GB iPads. Perhaps you have never experienced this process, so you didn't really understand how simple and space efficient it is.

Until now, I hadn't heard of "StreamToMe", and I'm definitely going to get it along with the associated server software. Meanwhile, my family has been doing a great deal of movie watching while we travel (road or plane trips). Before we go on such a trip, our daughters drag the movies they want into specific playlists identified for the purpose, and I hook up the iPads, which automatically sync the movies of their choices for our impending trip. It is already a great travel companion. Now, with these streaming apps, we can also have remote access to our entire library from our hotel rooms or our relatives homes (assuming they have WiFi). Even greater! (Thanks, Dick.)

So now, reviewing your question...

"who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

... the answer is (emphatically) ME!

Thompson

I have to laugh that the "entertainment system" accessory on a new car can cost several thousand dollars.

You can buy quite a few iPads for less money, and take them to your hotel room, tent/cabin while camping, the park, and even use them in the vehicle.

In California, we need to vote out of the Box...

post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shank View Post

Flash is a dying technology.

The argument for the pro-Flash crowd a couple months ago was: "If Flash and other multimedia plugins were obsolescing we’d see Adobe start to focus on HTML5 instead of pushing Flash as the only option.”

Yet now we have Adobe hitting HTML5/CSS3/JS with Flash a fallback on two fronts, and MS coming out with a great (for MS) browser and focusing on HTML5/CSS3/JS over Silverlight.

I fully expect the Flash devs to picket WHATWG and W3C with misspelled signs saying “THAY TOOK ‘ER JOBS!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Netbook demand sinks as 80% of tablet buyers want Apple's iPad