or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T

T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T

post #1 of 64
A new advertisement from T-Mobile parodies Apple's iconic "Get a Mac" ads, suggesting that the AT&T network and the lack of 3G support for FaceTime have weighed down the iPhone 4.

The commercial, which debuted this week, features a woman wearing T-Mobile's trademark magenta color, introducing herself as a myTouch 4G handset. The TV spot spoofs Apple's award-winning "Get a Mac" ads, which Adweek declared the best campaign of the last decade.

The myTouch 4G is flanked by a man playing the iPhone 4, who is carrying the "AT&T network." The commercial says that the iPhone is slowed down by AT&T, as the actor portraying the personification of Apple's handset says the carrier's network is the "price" he paid for 3G speed.

The commercial goes on to criticize the fact that FaceTime on the iPhone 4 is only available on Wi-Fi, touting that the new myTouch 4G allows video chat "practically anywhere" over T-Mobile's network.

When Apple announced the iPhone 4 and FaceTime video chat earlier this year, company co-founder Steve Jobs acknowledged that they need to "work a bit" with cellular providers to enable video chat over 3G.

T-Mobile is pitching its wireless network as the largest "4G" network. While technically built on "3G" technology, the carrier's HSPA+ network operates at "today's 4G speeds," the company has said, though it is not available everywhere.

T-Mobile, of course, is not the first to directly attack AT&T's network and its exclusive hold on Apple's iPhone. Last year, Verizon and AT&T engaged in separate back-and-forth attack campaigns which even led to legal action, before a truce was reached between the two largest wireless carriers.

T-Mobile is the smallest of the four major wireless carriers in the U.S., but its network is built on the same wireless standard as AT&T's. Because of that, T-Mobile has long been rumored to be a potential home for the iPhone, should Apple's exclusive agreement with AT&T end.

But the current iPhone 4 would not work with T-Mobile's high-speed 3G network in the U.S. without modifications, as the carrier uses the unique 1700MHz spectrum. The iPhone is compatible with UMTS/HSDPA 3G connections at the frequencies 850MHz, 1900MHz and 2100MHz.
post #2 of 64
It's a pretty effective commercial. I like it.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #3 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Agreed. I would use FaceTime so much more if it didn't require WiFi... oh, and I wasn't under the 200MB plan... can't imagine how much a FaceTime call would cost.
post #4 of 64
Quote:

Or is it? Parodies will hardly bring commercial success and since 4G is probably the only advantage they have, well...
post #5 of 64
And they come out swinging! I just checked and their 4G map isn't as embarrassing as I thought.

*Puts on Capt Obvious hat*

PS: She's hot.

*Takes off hat*
post #6 of 64
Quote:

It's kind of fun. Apple being poked fun at in ads is an indication of how far they have come - 10 years ago who would have thought it worth bothering parodying them.

On a side note, I would be quite willing to buy a phone from that girl!
post #7 of 64
Funny T-Mobile in the UK are saddled with the 'slow' 3G network as well, they forgot to mention that.

As T-Mobile actually sell the iPhone 4 in the UK (on a slow 3g network), they will probably need to be a bit more sensitive to their phone supplier!
post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post

Agreed. I would use FaceTime so much more if it didn't require WiFi... oh, and I wasn't under the 200MB plan... can't imagine how much a FaceTime call would cost.

So, to clarify... you would use FaceTime "so much more" if you didn't have to compensate the carrier for the amount of data you were using. Got it.
post #9 of 64
Their HSPA+ isn't a recognized ‘4G’ tech and their coverage is less than AT&T's HSDPA/HSUPA which still rivals T-Mobile for speed (at least according to independent tests I’ve seen), but they also aren’t lying as these are just marketing buzzwords. Verizon and AT&T could call LTE 5G now if they wanted. It doesn’t change anything. At worst it gets T-Mobile free press if the other carriers want to throw a stink about it. I say it’s a good ad that will work for T-Mobile regardless of how people react to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post

Figure on about 3MB per minute. Note, Jobs said FaceTime over the carrier networks will come after 2010. I’d guess that iOS 5.0 will offer it.

This isn’t a 3GPP technology designed work within their walls, FaceTime is designed to be open and free so we can finally get video chat working across any and all internet-capable devices, but this kind of plan does take some planning and rejiggering from carriers (as stated by Jobs). If a year goes by and it’s still no active then I’d start to worry.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #10 of 64
I thought it was a pretty funny commercial I haven't used FaceTime once on my iPhone 4 -- mainly because my friends are either on Verizon or they don't have iPhone 4s. My wife has a 3GS, so no go there either.
post #11 of 64
I haven't seen the commercial, but it sounds delicious. But of course, T-Mobile USA can still make money from FaceTime: sell pocket wifi hotspots that use HSPA+.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I haven't seen the commercial, but it sounds delicious. But of course, T-Mobile USA can still make money from FaceTime: sell pocket wifi hotspots that use HSPA+.

Try clicking the Flash box on front page of this post (I assume you are running ClicktoFlash and missed it).
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I thought it was a pretty funny commercial I haven't used FaceTime once on my iPhone 4 -- mainly because my friends are either on Verizon or they don't have iPhone 4s. My wife has a 3GS, so no go there either.

Exactly my situation too. Regarding the commercial: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Side note: can commercials be patented? How close can you copy without infringing? I don't think freedom to parody counts in commercial enterprises as it does, say, on a comedy CD.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #14 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I like it and IMHO it doesn't slam Apple at all, only AT&T.
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I like it and IMHO it doesn't slam Apple at all, only AT&T.

Now that you mention it, I cant recall it beating up the iPhone, expect indirectly for the carrier its on.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The commercial goes on to criticize the fact that FaceTime on the iPhone 4 is only available on Wi-Fi, touting that the new myTouch 4G allows video chat "practically anywhere" over T-Mobile's network.

If I'm not mistaken, the Android apps that T-Mobile is promoting for doing video chat are Qik and Yahoo Messenger.

Both of these are available for the iPhone and work over the 3G network.

While FaceTime is limited to WiFi the pool of available contacts is also 10X as big.
I'm also sure that the actual user experience is also better using FaceTime over WiFi than any other app over 4G.
post #17 of 64
Wow, how creative.

Let's simply copy the look and feel of someone else's ad instead of coming up with an original, creative thought.

Even better if Catherine Zeta-Jones appears and sticks the phone...
post #18 of 64
Thank heavens for competition!!!

Now maybe Apple/AT&T will get off their butts and make FaceTime work over 3G!

P.S. Isn't she yummy too?
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wow, how creative.

Let's simply copy the look and feel of someone else's ad instead of coming up with an original, creative thought.

Even better if Catherine Zeta-Jones appears and sticks the phone...

Umm, the imitation part is what makes it funny. In a way, it's both mocking Apple (with the theme of the commercial) while bashing AT&T (making fun of the network).
post #20 of 64
The 4G standard, LTE, is not compatible with the patchwork that T-Mobile has put together with WiMax + 3G. They'll have to eventually catch up. Will they leave their present "4G" customers behind when they DO make the transition?
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Truth hurts, eh? There is no reason in the world that face time shouldn't work on 3G...

This should be good. Tell us how Apple is at fault that the open FaceTime protocols may have disallowed by carriers? By your reckoning, Skype was half baked for only working on PCs at first. :rollseyes:
post #22 of 64
I worked in advertising for a couple of years and I have to admit that I never liked the concept of mentioning someone else's product in your ads. No matter how pretty a picture you paint of yourself, you are giving them free publicity at your expense.

However, I did like the recent Amazon Kindle commercial that showed glare on a reader device (iPad) but didn't actually mention the device by name.

That being said, I do use my jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile because AT&T sucks.
post #23 of 64
Pretty funny.
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try clicking the Flash box on front page of this post (I assume you are running ClicktoFlash and missed it).

Yeah, thanks. I love ClickToGetYourEyesRapedByFlashAds. I've just grown accustomed to ignoring it on ad-supported sites.

She's hot, but not enough to sell me on a myGrope 4G.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #25 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now that you mention it, I cant recall it beating up the iPhone, expect indirectly for the carrier its on.

I wonder if it is T-Mobile's way of getting a subliminal message to Apple, that if indeed they are ending exclusivity with AT&T and have gone so far as to break their mold of one standard phone (with various memories), and are now creating a phone to compliment CDMA technology used by Verizon and China or whoever else, that T-Mobile is saying 'Look at us, too!'... "T-Mobile is pitching its wireless network as the largest "4G" network. While technically built on "3G" technology, the carrier's HSPA+ network operates at "today's 4G speeds,"

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steve Jobs acknowledged that they need to "work a bit" with cellular providers to enable video chat over 3G.

IOW, "we have not been able to secure any partners yet, but we will announce this shite like it is some kind of a breakthrough that is new and exclusive".
post #27 of 64
T-Mumble WILL leave their current '4G' customers using the 1700 mhz band because their new boss - Nokia - will tell them to. I just find it hard to believe that these two haven't gotten married yet?? Other, than the fact that T-Mumble has got some handset manufacturers contracts to work out - usually pretty simple, and Nokia has a bizzillon old , very old, and ancient handsets they have to dump somewhere before they get 'reborn'.....HA!
post #28 of 64
Quote:

I tend to put ads like this in the same category as recent political ads. There's some truth to the claims but it's mostly smoke and mirrors, spin, and misdirection. The time is coming, however, when we'll see if the proof is in the pudding. At&t's exclusive agreement is running out. The iPhone will be available on other networks. Then and only then will we see if the anti-at&t raging is valid or not. We will see if Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile networks can handle the iPhone. Most analysts seem to think that iPhone users suck up much more bandwidth than Android users. Why that is I don't know but it appears to be factual.

So sit back and wait. We'll know soon enough.
post #29 of 64
Yesterday, T-Mobile referred to their network as 3G. Today, they call it a 4G based on speed comparisons. (Does that mean Verizon should really be called a 2G?)

These are all marketing gimmicks.
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Yesterday, T-Mobile referred to their network as 3G. Today, they call it a 4G based on speed comparisons. (Does that mean Verizon should really be called a 2G?)

These are all marketing gimmicks.

They are and its great. I hope they all start marketing higher Gs until this marketing tactic becomes common knowledge and they finally fall back to terminology that is defined and useful.
post #31 of 64
Sprint's use of the higher 1700 MHz frequency restricts its penetration.

Penetration of building infrastructure of course.

In many cases, 4G will not go all the way.

Thus making Sprint the Christine O'Donnell of the cell phone industry.
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, thanks. I love ClickToGetYourEyesRapedByFlashAds. I've just grown accustomed to ignoring it on ad-supported sites.

YVW. Is it just me ... but it seems something not quite right about AI posting a Flash version and not even having the HTML 5 version to load when running ClicktoFlash ...
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

It's not a witch too?
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

LOL... That could mean one of 2 things:
1. Both are witches
2. Both are not very good at "penetration"

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Apple is at fault for not being multi carrier after three going on four years. When you have competition, you get innovation instead of stubbornness.

Apparently T-Mobile can make it work on their network without crashing. Why can't ATT? :crosses eyes:

Frankly I don't really care what everyone's excuses are. Apple, just make it work. That's your job.

1) Who said AT&T can’t make it work? You’re assuming because Apple didn’t add that feature immediately out of the gate that it doesn’t work for AT&T. The fact is that it does work on AT&T as jailbroken iPhone 4s have clearly shown.

2) You suggest Apple should be multi-carrier in the US simply because you want them to, but you haven’t addressed any contractual obligations Apple may still have with AT&T. You’ve also ignored the fact that all high-profile devices have carrier lock-ins and haven’t even begun to address why a handset vendor would want a carrier lock-in in the first place or why Apple might agree to a 3 or 5 or x-year deal with a carrier in order to do get leeway in trying some game changing tactics that could pull power from the carriers and into the handset vendors. Do you deny that Apple has done with in the handset market?
post #36 of 64
Dumb.
post #37 of 64
I don't know. "Really?" I kinda think they did a better job than Microsoft. "Really?"

Kinda understood the message a little bit better. "Really?"

At least it didn't hurt my eyes. "Really?"
post #38 of 64
She's Hot!!

Is it me or does that guy getting a piggy back look like Ballmer?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #39 of 64
It would be great if Apple and the big 4 could get along here. Once that new Verizon compatible phone becomes a reality, it shouldn't be to hard for Apple to be useable in all 4 carriers.

They have to start somewhere, if they really plan on making this a truly Universal one size fits all phone.

One thing about FaceTime. You figure if it ever becomes 3G or 4G capable. Somebody will have to pay for all those minutes you use it that way.
I think that will defeat the purpose in why Apple made it available thru WiFi first. They are trying too push the Carriers to accept all the calling to be Data wise.
I am sure the Carriers don't want to accept that position because that would cut down their lucrative cell and text charges.

We will have to wait to see who blinks first. Apple does have some things going their way though.
That White Space provision should start showing up in 2011. Also that WiFi direct thing might be a little bit bigger than what many give them credit for. Oh Well. Just have to wait and see.
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I tend to put ads like this in the same category as recent political ads. There's some truth to the claims but it's mostly smoke and mirrors, spin, and misdirection. The time is coming, however, when we'll see if the proof is in the pudding. At&t's exclusive agreement is running out. The iPhone will be available on other networks. Then and only then will we see if the anti-at&t raging is valid or not. We will see if Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile networks can handle the iPhone. Most analysts seem to think that iPhone users suck up much more bandwidth than Android users. Why that is I don't know but it appears to be factual.

So sit back and wait. We'll know soon enough.

I agree there's a lot of fudge in it, but I think it serves its purpose well. From an technologically ignorant consumer's perspective, I'm interested in the phone and might buy it because it's cooler than the iPhone by being able to video chat anywhere on a really fast network. Now that may be a faulty thought process, but it's pretty effectively induced by the commercial. That's what I like about it: cheeky, memorable, and with enough info to make me think about it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T