or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T

T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Sometimes The Mirror hurts.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

YVW. Is it just me ... but it seems something not quite right about AI posting a Flash version and not even having the HTML 5 version to load when running ClicktoFlash ...

I just watched it on my iPhone...
(and not from the mobile site which I still boycott from the days of the black band headders and footers...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post

Agreed. I would use FaceTime so much more if it didn't require WiFi... oh, and I wasn't under the 200MB plan... can't imagine how much a FaceTime call would cost.

Gawd, I wouldn't. The last thing I want to do is piss my minutes down the drain via FaceTime when I have unlimited time via a high-speed Wifi network.

Who the hell wants to watch a bunch of people staring into a phone babbling along as they walk around in public. What an obnoxious reality.
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sprint's use of the higher 1700 MHz frequency restricts its penetration.

Penetration of building infrastructure of course.

In many cases, 4G will not go all the way.

Thus making Sprint the Christine O'Donnell of the cell phone industry.

Now you're expecting the average person to have a basic understanding of Wavelengths and Frequency. They'll just respond with, ``Just put in more towers to bump up the signal!'' as if flooding the area with increased RF is the answer.
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Because it isn't there. Unless you suggest it's Apple's limitation, in which case it is Apple's fault.

How about neither? I expect AT&T is simply holding back for a bit on allowing that functionality for bandwidth reasons. Just as they did with other potential bandwidth suckers like tethering and MMS. It will be enabled eventually, though I'm hoping Facetime via 3g isn't degraded too badly.
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

How about neither? I expect AT&T is simply holding back for a bit on allowing that functionality for bandwidth reasons. Just as they did with other potential bandwidth suckers like tethering and MMS. It will be enabled eventually, though I'm hoping Facetime via 3g isn't degraded too badly.

Your typical voice call (with compression) is about 8kps.
Your typical video call (with compression) is about 512kps, or about 64 times that of a voice call.

AT&T has twice as many smartphones as its nearest competitor. I'm sure this is the reason why they don't want to open it up quite just yet. T-Mobile has far fewer customers, far fewer smartphones.

On the side, if you want to quickly burn up your monthly data allocation, just make a few quick video calls.
post #47 of 64
deleted
post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

The 4G standard, LTE, is not compatible with the patchwork that T-Mobile has put together with WiMax + 3G. They'll have to eventually catch up. Will they leave their present "4G" customers behind when they DO make the transition?

No US carriers, or any carrier in the world is technically a 4G network. Nobody has deployed ITM-Advanced. T-Mobile uses HSPA+ technology, they don't use WiMax. Additionally, they don't have a "patchwork" network. HSPA+ will hit over 200M users by the end of 2010, over twice the deployment sizes of WiMax and LTE and will do so at 21Mbps. Next year, a second carrier channel will bump that speed to 42Mbps. Verizon and Sprint deployments won't touch that speed until 2012 or 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

T-Mobile is only using "4G" for marketing purposes, the same way Sprint and Verizon market WiMax and LTE as 4G when both of those technologies are not 4G.
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gawd, I wouldn't. The last thing I want to do is piss my minutes down the drain via FaceTime when I have unlimited time via a high-speed Wifi network.

Who the hell wants to watch a bunch of people staring into a phone babbling along as they walk around in public. What an obnoxious reality.

That would mane a great Window phone 7 commercial.
post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrmidon10 View Post

No US carriers, or any carrier in the world is technically a 4G network.

That’s an erroneous idea as stated which is why they state it ‘4G’ all they want. It has a lose reference to generation and sequential numbering of that generation. The iPhone is 4G because it’s the 4th generation iPhone. Apple could market it as iPhone 4G if they wanted. Subsequently, T-Mobile can refer to each data acronym change as a generational change, or make an arbitrary download speed demarkation point to denote different generations. Unless they are specifically stating that HSPA+ is 4G as defined by the ITU then they are not in violation of anything, which is why arguing that this isn’t ‘4G’ is silly.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

It's a pretty effective commercial. I like it.

This is a warm up for what's to come when AT&T looses exclusivity, they're gonna be forced to open up FaceTime over 3G.
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

It makes a good point well, and the chick is undeniably hot.

Won't be long before it's irrelevant once Apple moves on to other carriers, but till then this is a good ad.

You know what I would saddle?

Her!

But seriously, the term "4G" is so overused in marketing now (it originally meant LTE), AT&T could simply rebrand their 3G service "4G" and claim to be the biggest.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 64
Pretty funny story. Most of Tmobiles coverage is through roaming agreements with AT&T (or their subsidiaries).

Hasn't AT&T sold more iPhones than tmobile has sold all of their smart-phones? Whole thing is quite strange, seems like their goal is to get Apple to sell the iPhone on t-mobile more than anything.

Hmm.
post #54 of 64
Something is starting to smell over at T-Mumble..they are trying to make fun of Apple badly, brow beat their other competitors and really treat these customers like third-class citizens... If I were a betting man, this looks like a carrier clean up so it can be bought. By NOKIA??

T-Mumble's network is running out of steam, Nokia needs to dump MILLIONS of old, S3-based handsets in the market before it can start a new, and this seems that two European companies like this coming together would make sense...

Then, with Nokia-Mumble is the only place you can upgrade to a can-and-string device next year!!!
post #55 of 64
Every single one of Apple's competitors parodies its ads. Why? Because they can't come up with anything creative on their own.
I am the Great Bug

:-P
I am the Great Bug

:-P
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know what I would saddle?

Her!

Ha! I was just going to say she looks like a horse. You beat me to it.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Every single one of Apple's competitors parodies its ads. Why? Because they can't come up with anything creative on their own.

Not only have the ads been smart, they have been effective financially.

Island of misfit toys --- Verizon beat AT&T Wireless in postpaid net adds last Christmas quarter.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Funny T-Mobile in the UK are saddled with the 'slow' 3G network as well, they forgot to mention that.

As T-Mobile actually sell the iPhone 4 in the UK (on a slow 3g network), they will probably need to be a bit more sensitive to their phone supplier!

Yeah...except this advert is for T-Mobile USA, not UK. Separate companies in separate countries.

Further to this, the slow 3G we have on T-Mobile UK? based on what? I get HSPA everywhere I go on my HTC Desire.
post #59 of 64
.... Slams AT&T.

Not only does the commercial NOT dog Apple, it actually compliments them.

Apple is represented by a good looking (sexy) dude. Nah, I'm not gay (but it was confirmed by my wife) who is saddled with a out of shape ugly dude. They wouldn't put the contrast there if they didn't mean it.

I think they understand that they don't want to dog Apple in fear of future deals with them. Steve Jobs is known for sticking to his guns when it comes to backing up threats. He might have told all the carriers if they want to have a chance to carry the iPhone, they better not blast it. So, my guess is you'll only see other phone makers blasting the iPhone, and the carriers will stick with just blasting each other.

-GP

(Damn, I just realized you could read my 3rd sentence to mean I'm an out of shape ugly dude!) For the record, I was talking about the guy representing the iPhone (not me.)

But I do happen to be an out of shape ugly dude, who my good looking wife is obviously saddled with.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I worked in advertising for a couple of years and I have to admit that I never liked the concept of mentioning someone else's product in your ads. No matter how pretty a picture you paint of yourself, you are giving them free publicity at your expense.

However, I did like the recent Amazon Kindle commercial that showed glare on a reader device (iPad) but didn't actually mention the device by name.

That being said, I do use my jailbroken iPhone on T-Mobile because AT&T sucks.

Well apparently your concept doesn't agree with the folks that awarded Apple the campaign of the decade, in which they consistently call out the competition... to great effect, according to the market share gains that the Mac OS has seen.

Thompson
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbyrd View Post

Because it isn't there. Unless you suggest it's Apple's limitation, in which case it is Apple's fault.

As the earlier poster said, FaceTime works over 3G on a jail broken iPhone, suggesting that there are no technical obstacles to overcome. The capability is basically being blocked until AT&T and Apple come to an understanding about its use on the AT&T network. The issue is most likely a combination of (1) what kind of bandwidth increase on AT&T's already struggling networks will this cause when it goes massively "live", and (2) can AT&T somehow monetize it?

In other words, the issue is politics, $$$, and resources. That's the way of the world we live in, so you can't just blame Apple for that.

Thompson
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

And they come out swinging! I just checked and their 4G map isn't as embarrassing as I thought.

*Puts on Capt Obvious hat*

PS: She's hot.

*Takes off hat*

Agreed. She's really hot.
post #63 of 64
Ads banging on ATT because of iPhone - you got a better idea, also ran??? Gonna put some iPhone on that renamed 3g slush pit you got t-mumble to add some speed..???
T-Mobile stores selling iPhone stuff because of European customers coming into a T-Mumble store to get a cable for their iPhone..Really??? NOT...

IF you want to share in the iPhone movement, then instead of trying to side-swipe the carrier and the consumers knowledge, just ask Apple to give you a cut?? WHY won't you clowns just come out and say to Steve - Hey, we want some too??? Is that real hard?? Or is that just too damned easy??
post #64 of 64
Just couldn't pass it up as a marketing writer that sees fraudulence when it so vagrantly waves itself in your face. The commercial is not really brilliant at all. Someone got paid more than anyone on here (just a guess) to NOT do anything. Gets my goat. They found a couple of dopey stand ins and stole Apple's format. Come on!

Stupid T Mobile isn't original enough to come up with their own commercial format. If they're too lazy to think of their own campaign then why should I believe their service is worth my spit?

And no I don't think that vapid person in a red dress is cute. Even SHE isn't original. T Mobile rips off the ad campaign and then casts a Liv Tyler (and an Owen Wilson) wannabe. There's NOTHING original about the commercial. Not even the "talent"-less.

And IMHO Liv Tyler is the only one for me - not T Mobiles personality-less half-wit.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › T-Mobile US ad parodies Apple, shows iPhone 4 saddled by AT&T