or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: AT&T objection, Skyfire sold-out, PayPal vulnerability

Briefly: AT&T objection, Skyfire sold-out, PayPal vulnerability - Page 2

post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by september11th View Post

This afternoon when I tried it it was about 10-15 seconds to get a video to start.. About 10 minutes ago the video wasn't loading at all.. Their servers are getting killed.

Overall though, I feel kinda ripped off. Bought it on a impulse.. and to be honest it's not the best experience. The browser itself is ok, but a bit sluggish compared to safari. Waiting for stuff to load on another server side is almost annoying enough to not deal with it.. And, more annoying, since it streams live, you cannot fast forward through any clips. I guess it will be nice to have every now and again if I really want to see a flash clip but for the most part its nothing special.

Killed is the word, and it isn't just the massive numbers of downloaders and app users that's causing this - remember that the Skyfire servers have to scale the enterprise of converting the hideous blobs (Binary Large OBjects) of bundled Flash runtime, media, DRM etc into HTML5 before servicing these myriad requests. A double whammy if you ask me.

It still remains to be seen how this will convert "on-mouse-over" "hover" and similar flash UI input events into gestures so that users can create avatars for social networking, play traditional keyboard and mouse games on touch-screens etc etc

After the politics and the melodrama die down, the hard science questions will need to be answered, not by Apple, or by Skyfire but by - you guessed it - Adobe boffins.

Problem is they should have been working this out in R&D at least 5 years ago - too little, too late, that's what I say...
post #42 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

There is also a #3, having to do with hardware acceleration and APIs.

Positing a limited number of choices, manufactured in one's imagination, and then picking one rarely gives a correct answer.

Also known as "Adobe can't get it together." which was choice #2.

If there is no box, I don't want to hear you argue that you're outside of it, Flash-boy.
Let us know when Adobe gets that moving picture and video thing sorted.
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

It's so tiresome to read that nonsense that Mac's can't cut it in the enterprise. Just like saying that enterprise demand RIM and Windows Mobile phones for "real" enterprise email, etc. Those days are over.

Apple laptops, iPhones and iPads are making it into the enterprise on a large scale since demand for Apple is driven top down and even by IT departments.
Heck, most of the system and network admins I know only use MB's/MBP's. Not just Linux and Cisco guys, but people administering 200 Dell servers using a Mac

It is not nonsense it is the truth. In global companies such as the one I work at they have mac pilot schemes and the people on them have to have a windows desktop too just so they can access some critical applications. Either that or they have to use VMware. parallels or bootcamp etc. which kind of defeats the object of having the mac in the first place. Even version of Office for mac most mac users are still using is utter crap at integrating into a corporate environment. It remains to be seen if office 2011 will be any better.

iPhones and iPads are toys in the enterprise, nothing more. They do email in a pretty way. They barely contribute anything else
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

It is not nonsense it is the truth. In global companies such as the one I work at they have mac pilot schemes and the people on them have to have a windows desktop too just so they can access some critical applications. Either that or they have to use VMware. parallels or bootcamp etc. which kind of defeats the object of having the mac in the first place. Even version of Office for mac most mac users are still using is utter crap at integrating into a corporate environment. It remains to be seen if office 2011 will be any better.

iPhones and iPads are toys in the enterprise, nothing more. They do email in a pretty way. They barely contribute anything else

I disagree. IT is starting to like Mac with VMWare for Windows, they get more control and can trivially do VM resets with simple file operations, not long ghosting sessions. The tool becomes what it needs to be rather than what ever happens to be available on the platform. This will only accelerate as thin-apping licensed software to run on VMs becomes more widespread.

You really need to be more aware of the cutting edge before you make sweeping statements about toys, because the VM is being seen as a way to transition away from broken toy MS lock-in without losing legacy support. And even better since the legacy app support is in no way holding back the host OS evolution.
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

and apple still think the iTwats don't want flash on their devices......

Just get Android or web OS or blackberry or symbian or windows phone 7. All will have flash soon!

Love how SOON is the operative term. So many alternatives to iOS offering the "Full Internet". Soon...
post #46 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

No, that's not true. You really don't get it, do you? There is HUGE demand for video on iOS. Nobody gives a shit whether or not it's in Flash, they just want to watch the video. And they don't want to lose 1/2 their battery life every time they watch a 5 minute clip either, which is prone to happen on a mobile device with Flash.

Read this post by the Skyfire CEO for some enlightenment:

http://www.skyfire.com/press/blog/60...hase-of-growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I think that the number of downloads of an app which does nothing except allows Flash Videos to work is an indication of demand for Flash video.

You might arrive at the conclusion that it indicates an undifferentiated demand for video, bit given taht the app is specifically for Flash Video, and NOT for video in general, I'm not sure how your conclusion follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russgriz View Post

Your way with logic gives me a chuckle.

Nicely put. I wouldn't say it makes me chuckle as much as sigh.

The lack of logical reasoning in Steve-J's argument makes it kind of pointless to continue with him. But your comment made me chuckle.
No Matte == No Sale :-(
No Matte == No Sale :-(
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: AT&T objection, Skyfire sold-out, PayPal vulnerability