or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android edges Apple iPad as second-most-popular mobile development platform
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android edges Apple iPad as second-most-popular mobile development platform

post #1 of 98
Thread Starter 
Google's Android platform has narrowly overtaken the Apple iPad in terms of total developer support for mobile devices, though the iPhone remains the most popular software destination, according to a new report.

The new study, released Thursday by cross-platform mobile ad network Millennial Media and DigiDay, found that 30 percent of developers are currently creating content for the iPhone. In second is Android, with 23 percent, followed in third by the iPad with 21 percent.

Developers surveyed also indicated in the "State of the Apps Industry" report that they plan to support Android in 2011, with 29 percent saying Google's mobile operating system is the new platform they will embrace next year. Another 20 percent said they will expand to the iPad, and 20 percent also plan to write software for Windows Phone 7. A small percentage of developers -- 8 percent -- who are not currently writing for the iPhone will do so next year.

"We have seen significant cross-platform adoption in the past year and can expect to see continued growth and diversity in the coming year," said Mack McKelvey, senior vice president of marketing at Millennial Media.

Developers ranked the reach of a platform as their top consideration when choosing what they will develop for. Demographics were the second most important concern, followed by better branding, ease of use, and higher sales potential, respectively.



Publishers expect that applications will see significant growth in revenue in 2011. Of those surveyed, 31 percent said they believe they will see an increase of 100 percent or more in revenue next year, and another 34 percent expect their earnings to increase by at least 25 percent.

Last month, Millennial Media revealed that online ad revenue from the iPad grew 316 percent in the third quarter of 2010. In that same period, the total number of advertisers supporting Apple's touchscreen tablet increased by 94 percent.
post #2 of 98
Which is to say 51% developing for iOS vs 23% for Android. At some point we're going to have to start talking about platforms instead of devices, or risk making no sense at all, particularly as Apple is even now converging their mobile OS across form factors.

Do we break out figures for "netbook" developers vs. "laptop" developers?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #3 of 98
Please tell me where to take the "I plan on buying a private jet in 2011" survey so I can have my input registered as a solid data point.

haha
post #4 of 98
Another stupid flamebait post essentially making things up for ad impressions.

iOS (51%) is crushing Android (23%).
post #5 of 98
Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?
post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?

not really. the iPad is capable of running iPhone apps in a similar manner to how OS X used to run OS Classic apps.
post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?

And are developers only able to develop on one "platform"? Where do they register those who develop on multiple devices?

A pie chart is not the proper medium for this analysis.
post #8 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

not really. the iPad is capable of running iPhone apps in a similar manner to how OS X used to run OS Classic apps.

Very different manner from Classic, which involved some fairly lifting in software emulation. The iPad either runs the iPhone apps bone stock or scales them up to fit the screen.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #9 of 98
Face it, if you develop an app for the iPhone it's not much of a reach to adapt it to the iPad--they do run the same OS after all. iPhone developers are pretty much the same thing as iPad developers, and talk about them as if they are not is silly. This premise of this article is pretty much comparing apples to oranges.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #10 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?

I really hope iPhone developers don't just think they can stretch the content area out and it's suddenly an iPad app. While the coding is largely the same, the UI design is markedly different.

Arcade style games aside, iPad developers should concentrate on developing a "full-size" UI where the large screen is conducive to full size content areas, popup views, etc. that work on a larger screen. iPhone developers should concentrate on how the user can quickly access all of the apps content on a small screen - a lot more prioritizing and presentation of features is required.
post #11 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Very different manner from Classic, which involved some fairly lifting in software emulation. The iPad either runs the iPhone apps bone stock or scales them up to fit the screen.

True enough, although it doesn't make the apps fit the screen, there is still a border in 2x mode. However, the point is still valid - running an iPhone app on the iPad is not making full use of the form factor of the device.
post #12 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

not really. the iPad is capable of running iPhone apps in a similar manner to how OS X used to run OS Classic apps.

Actually, the iPad runs iPhone apps more like the way OS/2 v2.0 ran Windows 3.0 apps, well, except that the iPhone apps usually run ok on the iPad. But it feels equally frustrating. (Technically, there is little, or no, similarity, though.)
post #13 of 98
Don't make fun of Google and MS, you'll be eating crow one day. That said, iOS will do just fine.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #14 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Very different manner from Classic, which involved some fairly lifting in software emulation. The iPad either runs the iPhone apps bone stock or scales them up to fit the screen.

However, it should also be noted that an iPad will use Retina Display graphics when in 2x mode when available, so most iPhone games these days when run at 2x look almost the same as a full-resolution iPad app and run at full speed as well. Very different from an emulation layer.

Also, when it comes to full-screen games it's fairly easy to add iPad support if you're already doing retina support from a developer's point of view.
post #15 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Another stupid flamebait post essentially making things up for ad impressions.

iOS (51%) is crushing Android (23%).

Whoever made those pie charts should never be allowed to perform data anlaysis again. You can't simply add up the iPhone and iPad shares and assume they are mutually exclusive. Also, if you are calling the iPhone and iPad different platforms (since they are separated on the chart), then you shouldn't even be making comparisons between the iPad and Android, since Android is nearly entirely about phones (for now) not tablets.

This whole analysis assumes that developers will only develop for a single platform and that there is no overlap in development capabilities between platforms (like iPhone and iPad).

The entire analysis should be used as a case study on how NOT to perform analysis.
post #16 of 98
So which one of the scores of Android devices has single-handedly edged out the iPad in developer interest?
post #17 of 98
I work and live in Silicon Valley and I see about 20 iPhones for every Android phone.

At work, I don't know anyone who has an Android phone, yet I counted 37 that have an iPhone.

I attend San Jose Sharks hockey games--I am a season ticket holder, in fact. While in my seat, during a stoppage in play and intermissions, people usually whip out their phones--I know because I can look down and over their shoulders. Again, I see about 20 iPhones, a Symbian phone here and there, and the occasional RAZR.

Am I missing something here? Who has an Android phone?
post #18 of 98
Umm, and what about developers that are going to go multi-platform!?

And why is it platform vs. device here? iPad, iPhone vs Android!? Shouldn't it be iOS vs. Android. There are still new devices being released with Android 1.6. A developer will have to target which Android version to develop for. If they opt for 2.2, then their app won't run on some of these new devices. And if you say, they can create an app that tests which version of the OS is running, then this is also true for iPhone and iPad, as there are currently apps that can run on both devices.

This report makes no sense what-so-ever.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I work and live in Silicon Valley and I see about 20 iPhones for every Android phone.

At work, I don't know anyone who has an Android phone, yet I counted 37 that have an iPhone.

I attend San Jose Sharks hockey games--I am a season ticket holder, in fact. While in my seat, during a stoppage in play and intermissions, people usually whip out their phones--I know because I can look down and over their shoulders. Again, I see about 20 iPhones, a Symbian phone here and there, and the occasional RAZR.

Am I missing something here? Who has an Android phone?

Nope, you're not missing something here... and "who has an Android"? Apparently people who are embarrassed to show them off in public.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #20 of 98
So... is this based on apps/developers available in the app store (for iPad) vs. Android Market? If so, *YAWN* I wonder what Apple's number's would be if they allowed basically every single app submitted to be published to the App Store like is allowed in the Android Market?
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #21 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I work and live in Silicon Valley and I see about 20 iPhones for every Android phone.

At work, I don't know anyone who has an Android phone, yet I counted 37 that have an iPhone.

I attend San Jose Sharks hockey games--I am a season ticket holder, in fact. While in my seat, during a stoppage in play and intermissions, people usually whip out their phones--I know because I can look down and over their shoulders. Again, I see about 20 iPhones, a Symbian phone here and there, and the occasional RAZR.

Am I missing something here? Who has an Android phone?

I think the big "Android is beating iPhone" headlines we see all have this in common:
1) they're comparing a platform (Android) to a device (iPhone). Apples and oranges, and the pundits know it. But it makes good headlines The real comparison is Android vs iOS (all devices) or iPhone against any single Android-based phone. Apple wins all in a valid comparison.
2) they're reporting current sales, not overall saturation (which is what you're seeing at a ball game.)
3) They're describing multiple carriers (Android) vs single carrier (iPhone/AT&T.) That all changes in a month or 2. Look at Europe to get a better idea of how iOS does against Android when they're on equal footing. (Spoiler... iOS stomps Android.)
post #22 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which is to say 51% developing for iOS vs 23% for Android. At some point we're going to have to start talking about platforms instead of devices, or risk making no sense at all, particularly as Apple is even now converging their mobile OS across form factors.

Do we break out figures for "netbook" developers vs. "laptop" developers?

SheesH! They call this analysis?

With apologies to my dear departed mama:

You get to slice the pie [chart] any [crazy] way you want -- I get to pick the first piece!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?

A little?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #24 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

not really. the iPad is capable of running iPhone apps in a similar manner to how OS X used to run OS Classic apps.

That's true -- as far as it goes.

Many developers have reworked their iPhone apps to be universal apps. This allows a single code base to exploit the advantages of both devices.

Some iPhone apps (Koi Pond, for example), were originally written in such a way as to present very well without modification.

Some iPhone apps, however, must be significantly redesigned for the iPad -- so there are likely 2 separate versions.

Finally, some apps that are practical on an iPad, would not be practical on an iPhone (and maybe not for a smaller tablet).

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #25 of 98
Just remember, the iPhone is only on AT&T...

We will see the 2nd flood when the device moves over to Verizon
post #26 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Did you miss Chart B? Showed a very different story.

Err... the 53% already developing for iOS wont pick it as a New platform!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #27 of 98
The real story is, despite being on more carriers and across more manufacturers, and being "open", Android Apps still pale compared to iOS, several years running.

"Studies" like this one that twist facts to present a hack analysis and the other "Android outsells iPhone in US" only show the weakness of Apple's competition (for now).

That Google has yet to make a real dent in Apple's "killer feature" for iOS devices is noteworthy... though once the Open Handset Alliance allows Android Market to exist on non-3G-capable devices, the numbers may change.

For now, Apple is the clear App leader.
post #28 of 98
Isn't it possible that these numbers also reflect the fact that there are so many apps already developed for iOS, and many developers will spend the latter part of '10 and most of '11 catching up on Android?

Verizon = gamechanger
post #29 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I think the big "Android is beating iPhone" headlines we see all have this in common:
1) they're comparing a platform (Android) to a device (iPhone). Apples and oranges, and the pundits know it. But it makes good headlines The real comparison is Android vs iOS (all devices) or iPhone against any single Android-based phone. Apple wins all in a valid comparison.
2) they're reporting current sales, not overall saturation (which is what you're seeing at a ball game.)
3) They're describing multiple carriers (Android) vs single carrier (iPhone/AT&T.) That all changes in a month or 2. Look at Europe to get a better idea of how iOS does against Android when they're on equal footing. (Spoiler... iOS stomps Android.)


Apple Snags Second Place Among Global Smartphone Manufacturers




http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010...manufacturers/
.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #30 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Since iPhone developers are by default iPad developers since the apps both run on the same OS, isn't this report a little skewed?

Don't you know, you can only count a full OS for those other guys, Apple must count each product. It would not be fair to list those other guys by product because their piece of the pie would be so small it wouldn't show up. So they have to add up the totals of all 94 competing Android devices and pit them all together against the iPhone and the iPad seperatly. It's only fair, those other guys need some love to. They also can not even count the iPod Touch it just isn't fair to even consider that cheating device, they just ignore it.
post #31 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Did you miss Chart B? Showed a very different story.

When most of the developers are already doing iOS development you can't add much percentage-wise
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #32 of 98
While I don’t have a reason to dismiss this research as inaccurate I doubt it holds any value. Here’s why:

1. “Developers ranked the reach of a platform as their top consideration when choosing what they will develop for”. If you look at the biggest developers they don’t commit themselves to a single platform. First they release to the platform of their choice (shown in the graph) then a bit later they release a port to the next platform of choice (missing from the graph) and so on. In this case the product is released on several platforms, but this data is missing from the research.

2. iPad and iPhone could be considered as two different platforms if not for the apps that come out optimized for both of them. Those apps add error margin as well though admittedly they stay within iOS realm.

3. It is not stated what size of companies were sampled for the data. I assume they were big names and small independent developers bundled together in one research. Biggest mistake ever; it makes graphs pretty useless. Take one independent developer: chances are (s)he is committed to a single platform, and data is accurate. Now add some big house, like Gameloft. The platform of their choice is iPhone. However, at the same time they release games for every other platform listed, in large quantities. Their contribution to the least important platform is still bigger than what many independent devs provide to the same platform.

Hence, the biggest error: they count developers, NOT the projects, and they put those to one platform only. Thus, the data is useless.
post #33 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Isn't it possible that these numbers also reflect the fact that there are so many apps already developed for iOS, and many developers will spend the latter part of '10 and most of '11 catching up on Android?

Best post yet.

The App Store is becoming a victim of its own success; there truly IS an app for that. When you have an idea for an app & do a little market research, it's just a bit frustrating to find pages of apps that already do the same thing for little or free. Really, why bother?

IMO the smartphone market is still young and anybody's game long-term.
post #34 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Which is to say 51% developing for iOS vs 23% for Android. At some point we're going to have to start talking about platforms instead of devices, or risk making no sense at all, particularly as Apple is even now converging their mobile OS across form factors.

?


But as of now, iOS is fragmented into different branches for the different devices.
post #35 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

So which one of the scores of Android devices has single-handedly edged out the iPad in developer interest?

It doesn't matter. That would be irrelevant.
post #36 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Am I missing something here? Who has an Android phone?

Apparently, you don'[t know an average cross-section of phone buyers. The fact is that Android phones outsell the iPhone.
post #37 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

True enough, although it doesn't make the apps fit the screen, there is still a border in 2x mode. However, the point is still valid - running an iPhone app on the iPad is not making full use of the form factor of the device.

Sure, don't disagree, but Classic isn't really a point of reference here.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #38 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

1) they're comparing a platform (Android) to a device (iPhone). Apples and oranges, and the pundits know it. But it makes good headlines The real comparison is Android vs iOS (all devices) or iPhone against any single Android-based phone. Apple wins all in a valid comparison.


How about all the phones running Android vs. all the phones running iOS? Is that a fair comparison?



The Wall Street Journal seems to think so:

"According to market research firm NPD Group, devices with the Android operating system accounted for 44% of new smartphones sold to U.S. consumers in the third quarter. Apple iPhones came in second place with 23%."
post #39 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I really hope iPhone developers don't just think they can stretch the content area out and it's suddenly an iPad app. While the coding is largely the same, the UI design is markedly different.

Arcade style games aside, iPad developers should concentrate on developing a "full-size" UI where the large screen is conducive to full size content areas, popup views, etc. that work on a larger screen. iPhone developers should concentrate on how the user can quickly access all of the apps content on a small screen - a lot more prioritizing and presentation of features is required.

The important thing, viz-a-viz the original article, is not comparing iPhone and iPad versions, but rather that iOS developers can easily work both devices--they already know the "code." How well they adapt their app to each device is another matter. The article made it sound like iPad developers were some coompletely different kind of beast from iPhone developers--that iPhone developers shouldn't be counted in with them.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #40 of 98
Google's Android platform has taken the lead in the US smartphone market. Finally.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Android edges Apple iPad as second-most-popular mobile development platform
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Android edges Apple iPad as second-most-popular mobile development platform