or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Apple released a new version 9.1 update for iPhoto '11, adding back support for creating calendars, fixing bugs and offering additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes.

The new update is the second in just over two weeks, following the initial release of iLife 11 on October 20, and a 9.0.1 update hastily released to solve a problem causing data loss for some users upgrading from iPhoto '09.

Apple's release notes for the update state:

This update adds several new print product options to iPhoto '11. It also improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues.

- Provides the ability to create and order calendars in iPhoto.
- Additional letterpress holiday greeting card themes are now available.
- Fixes an issue that prevented videos downloaded from MobileMe or Flickr from importing correctly into iPhoto events.
- The update is recommended for all users of iPhoto '11.

post #2 of 33
I believe you meant iPhoto '11 in the headline, instead of iPhone '11
post #3 of 33
shouldn't the title be iPhoto '11 and not iPhone '11?
post #4 of 33
They should bring back pinch to zoom in full screen mode. In iPhoto 11 it only works in editing mode.
post #5 of 33
After this update, every time I launch iPhoto '11 I get the security pop-up window "Do you want the application "iPhoto.app" to accept incoming network connections?" Does anyone else have the same problem after this update?
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by axc51 View Post

shouldn't the title be iPhoto '11 and not iPhone '11?

Yes, it should.
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny View Post

After this update, every time I launch iPhoto '11 I get the security pop-up window "Do you want the application "iPhoto.app" to accept incoming network connections?" Does anyone else have the same problem after this update?

This happens from time to time. Reinstall it.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 33
"Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update"

I haven't gotten that update yet
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This happens from time to time. Reinstall it.

?? Reinstall the whole iPhoto '11 or just the update?
When I disable the firewall, that security pop-up window doesn't appear.
post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny View Post

?? Reinstall the whole iPhoto '11 or just the update?

I’d back up my iPhoto Library in ~/Pictures. Then reinstall iPhoto ’11 from iLife ’11. Then reinstall the update.

Quote:
When I disable the firewall, that security pop-up window doesn't appear.

But keeping that off isn’t ideal.

This is the only way I know to resolve this issue, but I’m not saying it will work. It’s SW and there will be bugs or issues. There wasn’t, then you wouldn’t have had an update to do in the first place. It’s the nature of the beast. Good luck.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 33
If they would only please add back the simple ability to e-mail photos in a size of ones choosing and without forcing you to use one of the cosmetic, stationary layouts, I might even be happy with the update. As it is, I'm pissed! Don't remove basic everyday functionality in lieu of new fancier features.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

If they would only please add back the simple ability to e-mail photos in a size of ones choosing and without forcing you to use one of the cosmetic, stationary layouts, I might even be happy with the update. As it is, I'm pissed! Don't remove basic everyday functionality in lieu of new fancier features.

You can drag the photo/s to the Mail app icon in the dock and it will be emailed as an attachment.
post #13 of 33
They added more than new themes for letterpress cards in this update. They also increased the price by 10%. I had a letterpress card saved on my laptop and after the update it was $3.99 AUD. On my MacPro without the update it is still $3.63 AUD. I guess I'll order them from my MacPro.
post #14 of 33
Nice workaround, Nasserae.

That will suffice for now, but I always like to go to iPhoto->Provide iPhoto Feedback and offer feedback. I asked to:

- Bring back the email via Mail option, at least as an option
- When I'm in an Event, make the esc Key exit me out of the event, like it used to
- Rethink the UI, the various buttons are far apart from each other
- It was easier to merge and separate events on import in the last version

Apple took a few steps forward and a few steps back in this version. But even with all that, I really like the goodies.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can drag the photo/s to the Mail app icon in the dock and it will be emailed as an attachment.

Yes, or attach from within the Mail program, but I haven't found a way to conveniently rescale the photos on the fly, the way you used to be able to from within iPhoto. Am I missing something here ...?

RIght now if I drag a 1.4 MB photo to Mail, that is the size that it goes out, and that large of a file is too big for 'most of the time' uses for me. They had an easy way before, why would they take it away? No sense.
post #16 of 33
Dear apple:

Thanks for f*cking up my iPhoto with the 9.1 update.

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Yes, or attach from within the Mail program, but I haven't found a way to conveniently rescale the photos on the fly, the way you used to be able to from within iPhoto. Am I missing something here ...?

The workaround isn't perfect. iPhoto used to lay it out simply, optionally with captions. I like the tip, but it often needs cleanup. The photos are right on top of each other. The captions are gone. But it's better than the templates.

In order to resize the photo(s) that you've dragged onto the Mail icon, just select a size from the drop down menu in the lower-right corner of the Mail window. Choices are Small, Medium, Large and Actual Size. My sample 3.9 MB file has options to send at actual size, or 303K, 90K and 33K.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

Yes, or attach from within the Mail program, but I haven't found a way to conveniently rescale the photos on the fly, the way you used to be able to from within iPhoto. Am I missing something here ...?

RIght now if I drag a 1.4 MB photo to Mail, that is the size that it goes out, and that large of a file is too big for 'most of the time' uses for me. They had an easy way before, why would they take it away? No sense.

After you drag the photo there will be a drop down menu at the lower right corner of the email window. You can choose the size you want.

Edit: bugsnw beat me to it
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

Dear apple:

Thanks for f*cking up my iPhoto with the 9.1 update.


I live off my iPhoto. Thanks for the tip!!!!
post #20 of 33
Some of the interface changes are cool and annoying at the same time. For instance, I like the new interface for setting up books, but hate how they changed it to a column on the right rather than a row on the top. It takes away a lot of space from working on my books!
post #21 of 33
i got excited for a minute thinking this was a calendar view like photoshop elements used to have (does it still have this feature?).

the calendar (or date view) showed a monthly calendar with a thumbnail photo of a photo taken on that day in the day cell. it turns out to be a great way to navigate a photo library quickly (at least i thought so).

i miss it.

post #22 of 33
and iPhoto still can't open my library. F*CK!!!!!!
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
post #23 of 33
Thanks Bugs and NasserAe, I had never even noticed that button in the Mail window ... solves the problem. I've calmed down ...

But I still think that they should put this ability back within iPhoto.

At least they got it right on the iPhone.
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You can drag the photo/s to the Mail app icon in the dock and it will be emailed as an attachment.

Yes, but that doesn't allow you to easily resize all of the images in one process and that's just annoying. I would also like to see the copy/past option return to the image adjustments section, there's tons of dead space in that window. It is still there as a three-button key command, but you would never know it was available if you were a new comer to iPhoto. They also need to re-add the ability to jump back out of edit mode>photo>event>events using the escape key. All if these little changes and oversights are really starting to piss me off.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

and iPhoto still can't open my library. F*CK!!!!!!

Yeah, mine seemed to be fine after the update, but as of this morning it's taking about 2-3 minutes to get up and running. I'm also seeing editing issues. If I make any changes to a photo and then try to move on to the next photo... game over. The whole program grinds to a halt and its time for Force Quit. Extremely... Lame. It's starting to feel as if iLife 11 was more of an unfinished "end of summer project" instead of a steady and well tested build.
post #26 of 33
So NOW I can get iLife 11

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply

Giovanni B. Saccone
Creativity is just connecting things (Steve Jobs)
> > > My wEb SiTe < < <

Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicpony View Post

They added more than new themes for letterpress cards in this update. They also increased the price by 10%. I had a letterpress card saved on my laptop and after the update it was $3.99 AUD. On my MacPro without the update it is still $3.63 AUD. I guess I'll order them from my MacPro.

True! I really wanted to order a Softbook, but they increased the price by almost 2 euro! They also increased the price of each single page... (sigh)
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapplez View Post

i got excited for a minute thinking this was a calendar view like photoshop elements used to have (does it still have this feature?).

the calendar (or date view) showed a monthly calendar with a thumbnail photo of a photo taken on that day in the day cell. it turns out to be a great way to navigate a photo library quickly (at least i thought so).

i miss it.


I'm using iPhoto 09 and it's excellent, but I too miss this feature.
post #29 of 33
Anyone know of a method to tag descriptions to photos on import ? All I can see at the moment is the ability to give an event a title when importing from camera. Where's the lower window that allowed tagging ?

(Sorry if answer is obvious - had a long night).
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealofThelake View Post

Yes, but that doesn't allow you to easily resize all of the images in one process and that's just annoying. I would also like to see the copy/past option return to the image adjustments section, there's tons of dead space in that window. It is still there as a three-button key command, but you would never know it was available if you were a new comer to iPhoto. They also need to re-add the ability to jump back out of edit mode>photo>event>events using the escape key. All if these little changes and oversights are really starting to piss me off.

Actually drag and drop is a universal method of emailing and moving files in all OSs. Furthermore, the drag and drop method is much faster and efficient than the (choose photo -> click Email photo button -> choose the size from the popup window -> photos in email window). If you drag and drop (drag and drop -> choose the desired size from the email window itself). See, less steps. Beside, you can still use the old method and attach the picture file and change size except that with this you have to use a theme for the email body.
It will take some time to get used to things. I was pissed when Apple changed iMovie UI few years back but now I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Anyone know of a method to tag descriptions to photos on import ? All I can see at the moment is the ability to give an event a title when importing from camera. Where's the lower window that allowed tagging ?

(Sorry if answer is obvious - had a long night).

Everything is in the Info side bar now. Just click the "Info" button on the bottom right corner. Of course thats after you import.
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Everything is in the Info side bar now. Just click the "Info" button on the bottom right corner. Of course thats after you import.

Am I alone in thinking this isn't as handy as the previous version ? The ability to input description when importing was useful.
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
Macs. Then: IIc. IIsi. IIfx. Color Classic. LCII. LCIII. Beige G3 266. G4 450. Now: i7 iMac. 24-inch iMac 2.8GHz. MBP 2GHz. G5 2GHz. iPad 32GB wifi
Tunes: 32GB iPhone 4G. 32GB iPhone 3GS. 32GB...
Reply
post #32 of 33
This roll-out of iPhoto '11, its import problems, and now an update to add a past (or normal) feature is so not up to Apple standards. This all feels like Microsoft of old. If Steve Jobs did know that the calendar was not in iPhoto 2011 or was not ready, then he must have been screaming at people to get the program out the door anyway. To add such a major feature later is just so lame. Then, all the import problems with loss of photos (or entire library in some cases) should be embarrassing to Apple and Steve. What went on that brought all this about? Even without the glitches, the idea of adding a main feature later, as an update is ridiculous. Since early news of problems, sluggishness, and lack of older features surface, I have refrained from buying iLife '11. A first for me.
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab695 View Post

This roll-out of iPhoto '11, its import problems, and now an update to add a past (or normal) feature is so not up to Apple standards. This all feels like Microsoft of old. If Steve Jobs did know that the calendar was not in iPhoto 2011 or was not ready, then he must have been screaming at people to get the program out the door anyway. To add such a major feature later is just so lame. Then, all the import problems with loss of photos (or entire library in some cases) should be embarrassing to Apple and Steve. What went on that brought all this about? Even without the glitches, the idea of adding a main feature later, as an update is ridiculous. Since early news of problems, sluggishness, and lack of older features surface, I have refrained from buying iLife '11. A first for me.

Welcome to the iOS world.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple adds calendars back to iPhone '11 in new 9.1 update