or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Toshiba announces MacBook Air solid state drives available for sale

Toshiba announces MacBook Air solid state drives available for sale - Page 2

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's the same reason why Sandforces' (expensive) controllers are being used; you don't need TRIM as much (some say not at all). And these drives are pretty fast. Not the fastest, but closer to the fastest than to the slowest.

I wonder if TRIM really is that important. Ive been using an Intel X-25 G2 SSD since late April in a machine I use heavily.

I first tested the drive after installation and a fresh build on Mac OS X 10.6.3. I tested it again after 10.6.4 update and it was marginally faster. Certainly no dramatic drop is speed as I keep being told will occur without TRIM.

I have no idea how good the Intel PC29AS21BA0 is in comparison to other SSD controllers, but it seems damn good at keeping my drive zippy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if TRIM really is that important. Ive been using an Intel X-25 G2 SSD since late April in a machine I use heavily.

I first tested the drive after installation and a fresh build on Mac OS X 10.6.3. I tested it again after 10.6.4 update and it was marginally faster. Certainly no dramatic drop is speed as I keep being told will occur without TRIM.

I have no idea how good the Intel PC29AS21BA0 is in comparison to other SSD controllers, but it seems damn good at keeping my drive zippy.

Oh yeah, it's important. If you have a drive that's much larger than all the data on it, you won't notice much slowdown for some time. But if you get a drive that's got only 30% extra space, you could see it within a month or so. And it can get pretty bad. Write speeds can drop to 25% of what they started out as.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh yeah, it's important. If you have a drive that's much larger than all the data on it, you won't notice much slowdown for some time. But if you get a drive that's got only 30% extra space, you could see it within a month or so. And it can get pretty bad. Write speeds can drop to 25% of what they started out as.

That is true. Im only using 20GB of 80GB, with my user account on the HDD.
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Excellent, some good tech to produce some thin notebooks meaning everyone that wants something fast and light doesn't have to go visit the fruit shop.

Yup, darn that Apple and their walled gardens.

Er, wait...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Toshiba announces MacBook Air solid state drives available for sale