or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store

post #1 of 117
Thread Starter 
The next major revamp of Apple's iWork productivity suite is finished and ready to go, but the company may hold back the release until it gets around to launching the Mac App Store early next year, AppleInsider has been told.

People familiar with the matter say development of iWork '11 wrapped up this fall and the software was initially slated for an introduction alongside iLife '11 last month, but was held back at the last minute for undisclosed reasons.

Apple's revised plans currently call for the company to launch the new productivity suite alongside the forthcoming Mac App Store, these same people say. The applications included in the bundle -- Pages, Numbers and Keynote -- will be available for purchase individually when the Mac App Store debuts.

Those familiar with the matter said it remains undecided whether Apple will also release a retail box version of the iWork suite, as it has been sold previously. Alternatively, it could become the first piece of major Mac software from the Cupertino-based company to be available exclusively online.

Last month, visual cues presented during Apple's "Back to the Mac" media event suggested that it would sell the iWork and iLife suite applications individually on the Mac App Store. Images of the forthcoming software download destination included the ability to purchase iWork apps for $19.99 each, while iLife applications were shown at $14.99.

While Apple highlighted updates to GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto at the event, no mentions of iWork were made. The same event saw the announcement of the Mac App Store, which is scheduled to launch before the end of January 2011. Like the App Store on iOS devices, it will allow users to download and install software with just one click. Developers will take a 70 percent cut of sales, while Apple will retain 30 percent.



Apple began the sale of mobile versions of the iWork suite applications individually earlier this year, when Pages, Keynote and Numbers debuted on the iPad. Priced at $9.99 each, the multi-touch versions of iWork have consistently been among the top grossing options on the iPad App Store.

Though Apple has not yet announced a firm launch date for the Mac App Store, it has already begun accepting submissions for the digital service. Like with the existing App Store for the iPhone and iPad, software will be hosted and licensed by Apple.

The current version, iWork '09, was released in January of 2009 and sells for $79 as a standalone product, or $49 with the purchase of any Mac. It was introduced alongside iWork.com, Apple's online document sharing service.
post #2 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...launching the Mac App Store early next year...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. "Within 90 days" doesn't instantly mean "next year". I'm still hoping for a late November/early December launch. Perfect for the holidays.

Quote:
...held back at the last minute for undisclosed reasons.

Nonsense. That's the reason.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 117
Yay! I can't wait for a new iWork suite. I'm anxious to see what tweaks Apple's made to Pages. It's let me entirely drop Word since 2008. Now if Adobe will just make an import filter for placing Pages text into InDesign...
post #4 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The next major revamp of Apple's iWork productivity suite is finished and ready to go, but the company may hold back the release until it gets around to launching the Mac App Store early next year, AppleInsider has been told. ...

They need to spend some time updating the iOS version of these apps first. Apple released the iPad with beta-quality versions of these apps, the only update they have had restores *basic* functionality only.

How about making a version of Pages for iPad that can actually be used for serious work? Anything more than a very casual edit of a stray document once in a while is completely out of reach at this point.

How about the capability to edit styles or create them? How about the ability to simply change the colour or font of the text in a document without going through ten swipes and pokes? Word counts? Section breaks? How about the ability to do almost anything besides very basic typing, on documents that all had to be created on other platforms in the first place? Pages (and the other iOS apps), are okay in a pinch, but when are they thinking of making them work like proper applications?
post #5 of 117
In the past there was an export option in Keynote to save as Flash. The current version of Keynote is lacking this sorely.
I hope that there will be an export option to save Keynote presentations as HTML5/javascript. That would be great! The first easy to use HTML5 creation tool....
post #6 of 117
let's see it versus office 2011, then I'll know what to choose.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #7 of 117
I love Pages, iPhoto and iWeb. And would most likely order just those two when available individually.

As much as I like numbers...who really wants to work spreadsheets all day? Ughh!

The less I have to be at my computer the better. I will be fine with my iPhone 4 and an iPad.

Can't wait.

Best

PS. I have Office 2008 and never open it.

PSS. What do you guys and gals think? 2992, allblue, applestockholder, Asmodai, diddy, fh-ace, Gamrin, Goldenclaw, Jsyedinak, kube, Londor, ollebolle, Prof. Peabody, RPT, sflocal, sgginc, skeedadell, Tallest Skil, Touche, tzb
post #8 of 117
There is no doubt that these apps will bring visitors to the Mac App Store.

I am curious about the new features of iWork. Coming from a school setting, the lack of any integrated artwork for Pages and Keynote has been a real negative. The ability to get clip art via AppleWorks was turned off this past summer.

Not that we can really afford new software, but hey, it's nice to dream.
post #9 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

In the past there was an export option in Keynote to save as Flash. The current version of Keynote is lacking this sorely.
I hope that there will be an export option to save Keynote presentations as HTML5/javascript. That would be great! The first easy to use HTML5 creation tool....

What? When?! QuickTime, PowerPoint, PDF, web pages, and images. FLASH?! I don't think so.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #10 of 117
oh give me a break. if they're ready then release them.
post #11 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

In the past there was an export option in Keynote to save as Flash. The current version of Keynote is lacking this sorely.
I hope that there will be an export option to save Keynote presentations as HTML5/javascript. That would be great! The first easy to use HTML5 creation tool....

Good call. Probably not many used the Flash export in Keynote, though I did use it to create a Flash web site. A nice trick. With limitations it worked pretty well. I keep my old version of Keynote around just in case I want to try it again. I was surprised to see Flash export deleted in from iWork '09. Was this the first indication of a breakdown in relations between Apple and Adobe?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #12 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They need to spend some time updating the iOS version of these apps first. Apple released the iPad with beta-quality versions of these apps, the only update they have had restores *basic* functionality only.

iPad simply doesn't have enough RAM to run anything but trivial apps well. I know people don't want to hear that but at best you have about 120MB of RAM for apps on the iPad. That really isn't much.
Quote:
How about making a version of Pages for iPad that can actually be used for serious work? Anything more than a very casual edit of a stray document once in a while is completely out of reach at this point.

My guess is this will be resolved with a software release that targets iPad 2
Quote:
How about the capability to edit styles or create them? How about the ability to simply change the colour or font of the text in a document without going through ten swipes and pokes? Word counts? Section breaks? How about the ability to do almost anything besides very basic typing, on documents that all had to be created on other platforms in the first place? Pages (and the other iOS apps), are okay in a pinch, but when are they thinking of making them work like proper applications?

I don't think the intention was to make them be "proper applications", rather it was an attempt to put tools on the platform to work with documents created else where. You have to remember the iPad has an extremely slow CPU, it will be very difficult to keep the app responsive while trying to do everything a desktop app does.

By the way every time I say the iPad has a slow CPU there are always a bunch of people that want to jump on me and go on at length about how fast their iPad is. It isn't folks, anything that is CPU bound runs at a crawl on the machine.
post #13 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

let's see it versus office 2011, then I'll know what to choose.

Try Office 2004; There hasn't been more than a handful of useful new features in the last 3 releases of office - combined.

Still, I'm waiting, too. iWork 09 was OK, but not quite there yet in a few key areas, so I still can't dump office completely...
post #14 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way every time I say the iPad has a slow CPU there are always a bunch of people that want to jump on me and go on at length about how fast their iPad is. It isn't folks, anything that is CPU bound runs at a crawl on the machine.

If you don't want to hear about how fast the iPad runs, then how about some examples of apps that crawl on the iPad. I haven't found one yet.

BTW having used Keynote and Pages on the iPad for real-world purposes, I would not call them trivial. They are not their desktop equivalents, but that does not translate into uselessness.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #15 of 117
My business want a stronger iWork that i.e. can handle simple things as printing lables from numbers. Now I have to move my 35.000 "records" to address book to make my lables. Not smart!

We will have to move all our users to Office2011 if iWork cant provide us with more power. Hope to see a solution soon, very soon Mr Jobs
post #16 of 117
I have recently liberated myself from Office altogether, and my job requires me to produce and revise complex documents that are distributed over lots of platforms. I couldn't be happier, and can't imagine going back.

The only reason I waited so long is because I just assumed that I needed to be using Word. When I finally tried to rid myself of it after seeing how uninterested I was in Office '11, I was shocked at what a non-event it was.

One feature that I hope arrives, however: the ability to File-->Send in Mail a document in DOC or PDF format. It doesn't seem like I should have to export as a word file and then drop it into Mail to send a .doc to a colleague.
post #17 of 117
Has anyone mentioned the number of installs that you can do with Mac App Store purchases?

For my $19.95 iWork app for Mac, do I get to install this on one computer, or five like the iOS app purchases?
post #18 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

One feature that I hope arrives, however: the ability to File-->Send in Mail a document in DOC or PDF format. It doesn't seem like I should have to export as a word file and then drop it into Mail to send a .doc to a colleague.

You can do that now, but it's under the Share menu. The options are Pages, Word, or PDF.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #19 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

People familiar with the matter say development of iWork '11 wrapped up this fall and the software was initially slated for an introduction alongside iLife '11 last month, but was held back at the last minute for undisclosed reasons.

Apple should be trying to sync the release of iLife and iWork and offer a reduced price bundle. This would probably encourage further adoption of iWork.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Those familiar with the matter said it remains undecided whether Apple will also release a retail box version of the iWork suite, as it has been sold previously. Alternatively, it could become the first piece of major Mac software from the Cupertino-based company to be available exclusively online.

I wonder what they will offer for those of us who currently buy family packs. I know they said that the software could be downloaded to other computers using the same AppleID, but what of us who have family members who use their own AppleIDs? I'll be pretty unhappy if I have to purchase the software for each of four family members.
post #20 of 117
Am I wierd for being excited about the Mac App Store? I've found so much cool stuff on the iPhone App Store that I'm sure my Mac experience is going to be improved with stuff I can find the same way.
post #21 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Am I wierd for being excited about the Mac App Store? I've found so much cool stuff on the iPhone App Store that I'm sure my Mac experience is going to be improved with stuff I can find the same way.

Interesting, Paul...what are your favorite 5 iPhone Apps?

Best

Mine are...Dropbox app, Chase app, ATT app, TuneIn Radio (NPR/FM), RedBox, NikePlus, Financial Times, iBooks...
post #22 of 117
It makes sense that Apple would hold back the iWork apps to have some 1st Party Marquee apps in the store when it launches the Mac App Store. Just like it had the iWork for iPad apps as Marquee apps for the iPad Launch.

IMHO, that's why Apple's held these apps back. It's also why iLife 11 is only $49. $15 x 5 apps = $75 - so people who bought iLife '11 don't feel ripped off when the individual apps go on sale in the Mac App Store.
post #23 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

I have recently liberated myself from Office altogether....


I second that Jetlaw. I work primarily in Pages and love the integration of iPhoto, Numbers, Mail, PDF, iWeb, etc. It's just wonderful working in the Apple Eco System...and it only gets better year over year.

Sorry, MS...no thanks to Office 11
post #24 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

Apple should be trying to sync the release of iLife and iWork and offer a reduced price bundle. This would probably encourage further adoption of iWork.
.

Excellent point...If I remember correctly, I bought a box set of SL, iWork and iLife last time around and saved a little cabbage!

Best
post #25 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Interesting, Paul...what are your favorite 5 iPhone Apps?

Best

Mine are...Dropbox app, Chase app, ATT app, TuneIn Radio (NPR/FM), RedBox, NikePlus, Financial Times, iBooks...

Good question.

1. Netflix (OK better on iPad than iPhone, but still pretty cool).
2. Red Laser.
3. Yelp.
4. FlightTrack Pro (if you travel a lot, this is a must have app).
5. BBC News.
post #26 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Good question.

1. Netflix (OK better on iPad than iPhone, but still pretty cool).
2. Red Laser.
3. Yelp.
4. FlightTrack Pro (if you travel a lot, this is a must have app).
5. BBC News.

Cool, I have BBC News, Red laser and NetFlix...I'll try Yelp and FlightTrack!

Good to know! Thx!

Best
post #27 of 117
Pretty predictable...the store needs something to launch with.
post #28 of 117
Update iWeb.
post #29 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Update iWeb.

Agreed...I'm a big fan of iWeb. I would like to see it move from iLife to iWork. I use it for my Real estate business...and prefer it over the web-based alternatives.

I think Apple has realized that young people aren't going to go to the trouble of putting together a website in iWeb or posting pictures/video on MobileMe. They're just going to post everything on FaceBook.

BTW: Has anyone noticed the new design of YouTube?

Very clean.

Best
post #30 of 117
Silly question perhaps, however... As a corporate customer I get a pretty substantial discount on Apple-branded software (about twenty percent). iWork, normally $79, is about $65; Final Cut Express ran me about $149 as opposed to $199. I wonder if these corporate discounts will still be available via the App Store...
post #31 of 117
Well, if they put as much care into testing iWork as they did iLife 11... it will suck badly. iPhoto in particular is in very bad shape... expect several more .1 bug fixes. I've had 10 crashes in 2 days... and I'm not that hard on iPhoto. iPhoto 09 crashes? Never had one.

I like iWork for the little I use it... but it needs to grow up and be a big-boy application. The whole tiny 'inspector' type paradigm needs to go. There is too much going on in too many boxes.

For the minor price difference, I'd like to give Office a try...
post #32 of 117
I was holding out to buy iWork when the Mac App Store came out, so I could get it without having to buy Numbers too. Now I'm even happier if they're also releasing an update. Awesome.

My opinion on iWork vs. Office...

Word > Pages

Excel >>>>> Numbers

PowerPoint <<<<< Keynote

I think anyone who tells you Pages is better than Word just doesn't use a lot of the features of Word. Yes, Word is incredibly convoluted and cluttered, but it's more than just a word processor. Pages stays truer to what a word processor is supposed to be, though.

Excel is about as important as oxygen to breath in my workplace.

PowerPoint makes everything look like a middle school book report compared to Keynote.
post #33 of 117
PowerPoint 2010 has improved a lot, in fact from 2007 it has been trying to mimic or copy Keynote is every areas. However Keynotes 09 is still better then 2010. And 2011 may be even better

I think Pages and Word are two different type of Word Processing Apps. Pages is more about design and presentation of the document. And Word is... arh... i dont know, more like an Type Writing with a Screen. Honestly my usage will never use the full limit of Word 's full functionality. I only remember the pain and frustration of Wanting to throw my Computer into the trash. Trying to Line up Graphics, Foot notes etc. Then i try Pages on Mac, although i have been using Keynotes, I have never used pages before because i thought it was like toys and not for true Office Work. It turns out i was wrong. Using iWork is such a present experience. Layout would just work, default template were beautiful. The same goes for Pages.

Till today i still dont know what is the TRUE meaning of spreadsheet. The usage that people said Excel is better then Numbers sounds very Database work like to me.
post #34 of 117
Pages is much more pleasant to use for any task that it is capable of doing, which is most things for me. The main things Pages is missing is proper numbering and it needs to handle tables beter (e.g. cells that span pages). Other than that, I don't feel the need for Word. I'd be interested to hear what 'advanced' features of Word people miss so much.

The feature gap is much bigger in Excel and some of the ways Numbers does things is not intuitive (the cutting and pasting of cells is a basic one). Of course, if you want your spreadsheets to look great then Numbers wins ... but who really needs to make their spreadsheets look that great. Having said that, it's perfectly fine for doing some pretty advanced stuff.

Powerpoint vs. Keynote. Nuff said.
post #35 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

Pages is much more pleasant to use for any task that it is capable of doing, which is most things for me. The main things Pages is missing is proper numbering and it needs to handle tables beter (e.g. cells that span pages). Other than that, I don't feel the need for Word. I'd be interested to hear what 'advanced' features of Word people miss so much.

Out of curiosity, how does a cell span a page? My complaint about table-handling in Pages is the lack of real control over cell padding. Seems you can't create a really tight table, and I've tried everything. What do you mean by proper numbering?

The most common complaint I've heard about Pages from Word jocks is the lack of a formula editor, and an inability to mix footnotes and endnotes. Neither of these affect me, but they might be deal-killers for some. Also, lack of an autosave feature.

Generally though the complaints about Pages are coming from people who expect it to be a Word clone. Some of us take this as a blessing, but a suppose Word has been around long enough that a lot of people are totally locked into the way Microsoft does things. Pages isn't about feature cram.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #36 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Also, lack of an autosave feature.

This is a HUGE annoyance to me. I have stopped using Pages because if it. I use primarily Keynote among the iWOrk apps, and it still annoys me that if I forget to save, I am hosed with a crash, accidental reboot etc. The sort-a saving grace is that iWork apps crash less frequently than Office on the Mac....

But could it really be so hard to add autosave??? Really!?
post #37 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

This is a HUGE annoyance to me. I have stopped using Pages because if it. I use primarily Keynote among the iWOrk apps, and it still annoys me that if I forget to save, I am hosed with a crash, accidental reboot etc. The sort-a saving grace is that iWork apps crash less frequently than Office on the Mac....

But could it really be so hard to add autosave??? Really!?

It does seem like an omission, though personally I don't care for autosave and might be annoyed if it couldn't be turned off. TextEdit does this fairly well by creating a separate autosaved document, but I'm not sure if this would be practical for the larger documents created by Pages.

Not sure how you could accidentally reboot your Mac, or forget to save. I've never seen the former and for the latter you'd have to blow past the dialog box asking if you want to save or discard changes.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #38 of 117
[QUOTE=Dr Millmoss;1748772Not sure how you could accidentally reboot your Mac, or forget to save. I've never seen the former and for the latter you'd have to blow past the dialog box asking if you want to save or discard changes.[/QUOTE]

How about dead battery? Many open windows, then a reboot because of networking issues (they still occur), boot, iWork doc gone...

Anyway, stuff happens..
post #39 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

How about dead battery?

Doesn't OSX save state when the battery gets to <= 1% and hibernate? I've never had any problem with that...just plug it in, hit the power button and you're back where you left off.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Reply
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Reply
post #40 of 117
This could be the reason why they did not include iWeb to the iLife suite.

It'll be offered as a separate update in the new Mac App Store.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple's iWork '11 suite tracking for release alongside Mac App Store