or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended

post #1 of 121
Thread Starter 
Monday's U.S. launch of Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 was mixed, with some stores selling out and others selling just a handful of units. Apple has released another Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, and Adobe's CTO defended Flash battery performance, claiming that the test was flawed and that Apple is inciting "negative campaigning" against Flash.

Windows Phone 7

Reports from various cities around the U.S. show that Microsoft's launch of its Windows Phone 7 platform has seen varied results. The prospect of free tickets to a launch concert featuring Maroon 5 drew a line of 200 people to one AT&T store in San Francisco, but only "a small handful" ended up making a purchase, according to a CNET report. Despite the crowd, the store had sold "less than half" of its initial supply of 20 devices by midday.

At a T-Mobile store in downtown San Francisco, CNET editors Josh Loensohn and Ina Fried could "hardly tell" that new handsets were on sale. According to the report, the display unit had been broken by accident, so the store was awaiting a replacement, selling "roughly 7 devices by noon." On the other hand, CNET notes that various Twitter users around the U.S. have reported that local stores were sold out of Windows Phone 7 devices, with one store reportedly selling out within 30 minutes of opening.

Early overseas response to Windows Phone 7, which launched in parts of Europe and Asia on Oct. 21, has appeared positive. According to Digitimes, the initial stock of Windows Phone 7-based HTC handsets quickly sold out in Germany and Australia, while Samsung and LG were also seeing "rising demand" from carriers.

Initial reviews of Windows Phone 7 were pleased with Microsoft's upgrades to the user interface, but found the mobile operating system lacking when compared to Android and iOS, both of which have both already undergone several revisions.

The Windows Phone 7 launch is a stark contrast to Apple's iPhone 4 launch in June. In what Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs called "the most successful product launch in Apple's history," Apple sold over 1.7 million units of the Phone 4 in its first three days of availability. Preorders for the iPhone 4 overwhelmed Apple and AT&T phone lines and servers. Apple received over 600,000 preorders for the smartphone on the first day that preorders were offered.

Mac OS X 10.6.5

Just three days after Mac OS X 10.6.5 build 10H571 was released to developers, Apple has issued a new beta of Mac OS X 10.6.5, labeled build 10H574, MacRumors reports.

Mac OS X 10.6.5 is expected to come soon, as the company has already issued the first beta for the next update, Mac OS X 10.6.6.

The release of Mac OS X 10.6.5 is partly tied to the upcoming iOS 4.2 update, as 10.6.5 will enable AirPrint wireless printing compatibility between iOS devices and Macs. Apple issued the golden master version of iOS 4.2 last week, indicating an imminent release.

Adobe Flash

Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch told Fast Company in an interview that reports of Adobe Flash causing reduced battery life are a "false argument." Last week, Adobe came under criticism after reviews of Apple's new MacBook Air showed as much as a 33 percent drop in battery life when the Flash plugin was enabled.

"When you're displaying content, any technology will use more power to display, versus not displaying content. If you used HTML5, for example, to display advertisements, that would use as much or more processing power than what Flash uses," explained Lynch, citing several studies that point to Flash as having higher battery life and more reliable playback than HTML5.

Lynch went on to take issue with Apple's behavior as of late. "I just think there's this negative campaigning going on, and, for whatever reason, Apple is really choosing to incite it, and condone it," said Lynch. "I think that's unfortunate. We don't think it's good for the web to have aspects closed off--a blockade of certain types of expression. There's a decade of content out there that you just can't view on Apple's device, and I think that's not only hurtful to Adobe, but hurtful to everyone that created that content."

Apple recently announced that beginning with the MacBook Air, Macs will no longer ship with Adobe Flash pre-installed. Though Apple cited user security as the reason for the change, the policy was picked up by the media as further evidence of continued conflict between Apple and Adobe. Earlier this year, Jobs spoke out against Flash in an open letter, labeling it unfit for the modern era of low-power devices. Adobe responded with its own letter and an ad campaign accusing Apple of "taking away your freedom."

Despite the growing tension between Apple and Adobe, Lynch remains optimistic about a future with room for HTML5 and Flash, asserting that the success of HTML5 is good for Adobe. "We support HTML. We're making tools for HTML5. It's a great opportunity for us. Flash and HTML have co-existed, and they're going to continue to to co-exist."
post #2 of 121
God, what is Lynch smoking? This has been my experience with Flash.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #3 of 121
sure, taking away your freedom, like the FDA takes away your freedom to snort plutonium-viagra.
>>< drow ><<
Reply
>>< drow ><<
Reply
post #4 of 121
Quote:
On the other hand, CNET notes that various Twitter users around the U.S. have reported that local stores were sold out of Windows Phone 7 devices, with one store reportedly selling out within 30 minutes of opening.

How much is MS paying these days for this? Might be worth getting a Twitter account...
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #5 of 121
Its not hard to "sell out" when you only have 10 units to sell.
post #6 of 121
Lynch - get a f*cking life. It's a verifiable FACT that flash sucks up system resources and requires a LOT more power to run. Pathetic argument on his part, IMO.
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail.
Reply
post #7 of 121
Flash is an unmatched technology at the moment for making rich web content. People should still be given the choice to use it if they want to. I personally think a lot of this is more a hate campaign against adobe that saint jobs started. When adobe is dominating the market with html 5 creative tools and the browser is making the iphone's platform specific apps look crippled then we'll see saint job's true colors.
post #8 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Flash is an unmatched technology at the moment for making rich web content. People should still be given the choice to use it if they want to. I personally think a lot of this is more a hate campaign against adobe that saint jobs started. When adobe is dominating the market with html 5 creative tools and the browser is making the iphone's platform specific apps look crippled then we'll see saint job's true colors.

Does Jobs hate Flash? I think he does, but does he hate Adobe? I don't know. Like you said, Adobe can dominate the HTML5 creation tools market, but they must act quickly instead of taking rounds after rounds of flash-bashing.
post #9 of 121
This why no one should buy a Windows phone:

Windows Phone 7 features a version of Internet Explorer Mobile with a rendering engine that is "halfway between IE7 and IE8"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows..._7#Web_browser

IE is such an awful browser to develop sites for. It's rendering engine is archaic and just a load of crap. Currently Webkit enjoys a >80% share on the smart phone base. Which makes a developer's life much better. We should fight to keep Microsoft and their rubbish web bowser out of the mobile space! Developers don't want to support it so users will just be treated as 2nd class citizens.
post #10 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

God, what is Lynch smoking? This has been my experience with Flash.

But... But... This user found the solution!


9. May 27, 2010 11:05 AM in response to: mac__user
Re: High CPU usage on sites with flash content
Here's what fixed the problem for me. In the end, Flash wasn't the culprit (totally).

My laptop is a Core 2 duo and now 3 years old. I never thought that dust will go in through the CPU Fan vent and will accumulate there, causing the fan to work inefficiently and not cooling the CPU as much as required. I read on some Forums that cleaning this dust and taking out the congestion on the Fan solved their problem of high CPU. First I couldn't believe that. Yesterday I thought I will give it a try. I took my Vaccum Cleaner and used it across the vents. I couldn't believe the amount of dust came of out that thing. I cleaned it all up. Then I prayed and turned on my machine. Anyway I wanted to watch the last episode of LOST, so I thought that testing this fix on Hulu would be the best test. I watched the whole episode of length 1:45 mins with only few hickups. It was unbelievable. Now my machine is behaving like what a Core 2 duo should.

So, my advice is that. If your desktop/laptop is 1-2 years or more old, then the CPU fan definitely needs some cleaning. It made difference for me, no kidding. Just take that Vaccum Cleaner and fix it.

Hope this helps some of you!
post #11 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

...When adobe is dominating the market with html 5 creative tools and the browser is making the iphone's platform specific apps look crippled...

Well, not going to happen.
post #12 of 121
That the windows phone Was already on sale in Europe. If the sales had been great, I am sure the news would have been full of stories about this. With some stores only having a couple of units and not selling out, the response would seem to be somewhat tepid. I wonder how sales were at the msft stores. I am also wondering what the first production run was like.

The ad campaign for the new phone seems to be kicking into high gear. The ads are cute but don't show how the phone works. I still don't like the asymmetry and the tile concept but it is bothering me less than it used to.
post #13 of 121
Jobs hating Flash is him voting for the customer, not for Apple.

Adobe and Microsoft have a habit of defending technologies AGAINST the interests of customers, to the benefit of their hegemonies.

Wndows phone - 20 units per outlet?? 10 sold?! Sounds like DOA to me.
post #14 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, not going to happen.

Why not? They have demoed the best HTML5 creative tools so far and adobe are already the company every designer turns to for any web design work. Its like saying back in the 90s that MS won't dominate the browser market. Everyone already used their software, so of course they ended up using their web browser.
post #15 of 121
I'm so glad I installed ClicktoFlash. I've only had it for like a week, but my Macbook Pro doesn't even get warm any more while browsing.
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Reply
Excuse me. Um. I'm actually supposed to be getting out of jail.
Reply
post #16 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

IE is such an awful browser to develop sites for. It's rendering engine is archaic and just a load of crap. Currently Webkit enjoys a >80% share on the smart phone base. Which makes a developer's life much better. We should fight to keep Microsoft and their rubbish web bowser out of the mobile space! Developers don't want to support it so users will just be treated as 2nd class citizens.

I hate to be the one to break it to you but trying to convince people not to do something to keep developers happy a dead end argument

It will actually be interesting to see what happens with mobile versions of websites and WP7. My guess is that most sites will just re-direct WP7 to the full version of the website which will still have to support IE7.

Microsoft are going to have IE9 on WP7 before long so it hardly seems worth it to update the mobile version of a website to support IE7 as well.
post #17 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

I'm so glad I installed ClicktoFlash. I've only had it for like a week, but my Macbook Pro doesn't even get warm any more while browsing.

That's great! Same here.
Perhaps Mr Adobe should start thinking about why products like ClickToFlash start to emerge. It's not like Apple wrote it. Neither did Apple do any official testing/statement on MacBook Air with/without Flash in terms of battery power. That's the community.

The scary thing is when HTML5 is the default way of showing irritating adds screaming for attention. Then there is gonna be much harder to avoid stupid content.
post #18 of 121
My dislike of Flash goes back to 2004 when I installed 64bit Linux on an Athlon 64.

Steve Jobs started nothing, he provided a high profile voice for dissent which had been around for years in the Linux and Mac communities.

Adobe brought this on themselves with their abysmal support for any platform that wasn't windows.

I avoid Flash as much as possible, I don't miss it at all.

Edit:-

Crippled Apps:-

http://youtu.be/q4MTaQ8KkUM

wtf you smoking?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Flash is an unmatched technology at the moment for making rich web content. People should still be given the choice to use it if they want to. I personally think a lot of this is more a hate campaign against adobe that saint jobs started. When adobe is dominating the market with html 5 creative tools and the browser is making the iphone's platform specific apps look crippled then we'll see saint job's true colors.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #19 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Jobs hating Flash is him voting for the customer, not for Apple

That's BS. It's not like I don't think we would have a better web if Flash wasn't abused like it is at the moment, but let's not pretend like Jobs is being all warm and fuzzy and doing it all for us.




Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch told Fast Company in an interview that reports of Adobe Flash causing reduced battery life are a "false argument." Last week, Adobe came under criticism after reviews of Apple's new MacBook Air showed as much as a 33 percent drop in battery life when the Flash plugin was enabled.

Again, it's not like I don't think we would have a better web if Flash wasn't abused like it is at the moment, but Lynch is actually not far off the truth with this comment. The review mentioned only really tested how much battery life advertising takes up.
post #20 of 121
Frontpage, sort of destroys your argument.

What happened to Frontpage, after a while not many people ended up using that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Why not? They have demoed the best HTML5 creative tools so far and adobe are already the company every designer turns to for any web design work. Its like saying back in the 90s that MS won't dominate the browser market. Everyone already used their software, so of course they ended up using their web browser.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #21 of 121
Was hoping today was iOS 4.2. Week from today??
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #22 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Flash is an unmatched technology at the moment for making rich web content. People should still be given the choice to use it if they want to. I personally think a lot of this is more a hate campaign against adobe that saint jobs started. When adobe is dominating the market with html 5 creative tools and the browser is making the iphone's platform specific apps look crippled then we'll see saint job's true colors.

Which is a load of crap; for almost a decade Flash has been the inflicted upon the end users of the world thanks to incompetent idiots who have used and abused the technology for worthless and pointless crap. I don't want your banners, I don't want your games, I don't want your pop-ups, pop-unders and all the other crap that you push on your end users. The only person who would ever defend Flash is a person who has a vested interest in making money off it in some way - for everyone else the day it dies the day Apple can work on improving the whole user experience.

What can Adobe do to counter this? open source the bloody plugin! open source it, make it a standard and let different vendors and volunteers work to improve it; it is quite clear that for almost a decade that Adobe has owned the code they've don't sweet-bugger-all in the way of address grievances, I think giving some outsiders a go on the code can hardly cause any more problems!
post #23 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Which is a load of crap; for almost a decade Flash has been the inflicted upon the end users of the world thanks to incompetent idiots who have used and abused the technology for worthless and pointless crap. I don't want your banners, I don't want your games, I don't want your pop-ups, pop-unders and all the other crap that you push on your end users. The only person who would ever defend Flash is a person who has a vested interest in making money off it in some way - for everyone else the day it dies the day Apple can work on improving the whole user experience.

What can Adobe do to counter this? open source the bloody plugin! open source it, make it a standard and let different vendors and volunteers work to improve it; it is quite clear that for almost a decade that Adobe has owned the code they've don't sweet-bugger-all in the way of address grievances, I think giving some outsiders a go on the code can hardly cause any more problems!

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.
post #24 of 121
In reference to the vacuuming tip

My brand new, dust free, out of the box MBP i7 in simple tests I did had its fan blasting in minutes while running a few Flash videos on YouTube whereas the same videos run using HTML5 had no heat issues what so ever. Also running a CNN web page with numerous Flash ads on a page plus a video report can kick in the fan as the poor MBP heats to egg frying temperature but the same page with click to Flash and just watching the video report (by clicking to allow it) keeps it to a modest simmer. I am convinced, sorry Adobe.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #25 of 121
Looking around, it is hard to get a real good idea about how well the new phone is selling. There are sellouts in Europe but don't how how many phones were made and how many were sold. I would think if it was a really good number that MSFT would have released it in a press release. No stories of long lines, 20 phones to a store make it a difficult situation to really assess without the bean counters coming up with an actual number. I haven't seen many on the street reviews about this being a phone that is something that people love or must have so it will be interesting to see what happens to sales going forward from here.
post #26 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.

To be honest, your example is the epitome of the kind of web sites I leave right away. It is not a web site it is an interactive movie.

IMHO the most clicked on link on the web is "Skip Intro". Once you have visited one of these 100% flash sites you rarely want to visit it again other that to show someone else the cool movie.

That said, perhaps, there should be an entirely different class of site for these interactive movies, as I admit many are entertaining the first visit. Maybe instead of <http.domain.com> there could be a new type such as <flash.domain.com>. Then people would know and could choose.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #27 of 121
I feel really sorry for Adobe, when companies start lying outright you know they're circling the drain. If only they'd improve the efficiency of Flash instead of defending a old worn out codebase...

That which does not grow, dies.
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
Reply
"Picasso had a saying, 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we've always been shameless about stealing great ideas."
Reply
post #28 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

The person who owns and designed that website needs to be tied to a poll and beaten without mercy. I don't want gimicky crap, I want content, and I want a simple layout. I use the internet as a tool not a some sort of click and drool "ooh shiny" simpleton that so many seem to enamoured with when it comes to the use of Flash.

Quote:
I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.

How about using it and not abusing it. There is no reason for an ad to be done in Flash; use Flash where it is required and stick to HTML for everything else. Is it really so difficult to expect people not to abuse technology? not to flog it to death? it reminds me of people with those obnoxious 'splash screens' to their website.
post #29 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash.

To be honest I didn't see anything on that page that couldn't be done with HTML5. Have a look at some HTML5 demos and see what you think.
post #30 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

I feel really sorry for Adobe, when companies start lying outright you know they're circling the drain.

Are you talking about this article or something else. I don't see who lied in this one?

Some bloggers failed to understand the data and drew some poor conclusions, but I don't see that anyone flat out lied.
post #31 of 121
deleted
post #32 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

To be honest, your example is the epitome of the kind of web sites I leave right away. It is not a web site it is an interactive movie. ...

This is true of pretty much all heavily Flash based websites. There's just something about Flash that leads to horrible site design and a horrible user experience. This is why when people say that HTML5 must duplicate all of Flash's functionality before it's a viable replacement, I think to myself, "god, I hope it never does." The Flash design philosophy needs to die along with Flash, and the web will be a much better place when it does.

Quote:
... That said, perhaps, there should be an entirely different class of site for these interactive movies, as I admit many are entertaining the first visit. Maybe instead of <http.domain.com> there could be a new type such as <flash.domain.com>. Then people would know and could choose.

Maybe a new top-level 'flash' domain, like the 'xxx' the porn industry got, so you could segregate it off.
post #33 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.

Seriously? That's the website you're using to promote flash?

That is precisely the type of website that has caused many of us to dislike Flash. In all my years of web usage, i've only witnessed flash used well a handful of times. It seems like 99.5% of the time, flash worsens my web browsing experience rather than improving it. Not everyone feels this way, but many people do.

Our dislike of flash long predates the iOS/flash controversy. Jobs' decision to not pursue a usable iOS flash runtime, is largely motivated by the prevalence of the experience described above.
post #34 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Frontpage, sort of destroys your argument.

What happened to Frontpage, after a while not many people ended up using that?


I'm still of the opinion that any serious web developer uses a text editor and their favorite image editing software. Frontpage and Dreamweaver are children's toys. Adobe can continue ruling whatever market they think that is, and it won't affect me.


With regards to flash, I've had it blocked on my Mac well before this Jobs vs. Flash thing started. Why? It was a nuisance. It never performed well on the Mac due to Adobe's apathy, and 99% of the time it was just being used to display obnoxious ads or power websites with sloppy navigation and annoying transitions. Whatever SJ's motives are, I'll be glad when Flash is gone.
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
Prosecutors will be violated
Reply
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Adobe and Microsoft have a habit of defending technologies AGAINST the interests of customers,


What are examples of Microsoft "defending technologies" against the interests of consumers? What the heck are you talking about?
post #36 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

What are examples of Microsoft "defending technologies" against the interests of consumers? What the heck are you talking about?

Flash being one example; if there was a transition to HTML5 then all the responsibility would be in the browsers hands; the browser vendors could then spend their time on heavily optimising their HTML5 technology to improve the user experience rather than the experience being at the mercy of a third party vendor whom they have no input on - how many times have you heard people complain about their browser crash but it is due to a plugin?

It all comes down to control, the more of the stack you control the more consistent the experience will be - and that is the argument for Apple, the more open the technology is the more Apple can spend optimising Webkit technologies to produce a top notch experience for end users rather than having that experience being dictated by a whether a third party does a good job with a plugin.

It is the same reason Microsoft prefers to do things in house; if they control the code, control the technology then they're able to provide a consistent user experience - same can be said for Apple as well.
post #37 of 121
ClickToFlash is a great plugin, but probably not the best plugin to use to cast a vote against Flash. The problem with ClickToFlash is that it masquerades as Flash, and still leaves Flash running in the background. In this way, to a website owner, it still looks like their Flash content is getting hits even though you're not viewing it.

John Gruber of daringfireball.net wrote an excellent article about Flash, ClickToFlash, and how to disable Flash completely (except when you need it --Google Chrome) here:
http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/fl..._google_chrome
post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

The person who owns and designed that website needs to be tied to a poll and beaten without mercy. I don't want gimicky crap, I want content, and I want a simple layout. I use the internet as a tool not a some sort of click and drool "ooh shiny" simpleton that so many seem to enamoured with when it comes to the use of Flash.



How about using it and not abusing it. There is no reason for an ad to be done in Flash; use Flash where it is required and stick to HTML for everything else. Is it really so difficult to expect people not to abuse technology? not to flog it to death? it reminds me of people with those obnoxious 'splash screens' to their website.

Do you not understand the whole concept of design and branding? That website is not about a fancy easy user experience for geeks, it is meant to be something creative that stands out at it certainly does that.

Like many sites that are 100% flash it was made by a designer with no coding skills. As clever as code monkey web developers are, they are not always the most creative. Flash lets creative types make very different websites to conventional ones.
post #39 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.

One of the biggest problems with Flash is that its not great for SEO and rankings, the lifeblood of any good site. Flash is outdated bloatware and is a pain to develop for, in fact most of Adobe's software these days is bloatware. As a designer myself I run away from Flash, screaming.

A good brand manager will also tell you that a pretty Flash site is useless if it can't be found.

BTW, that site the corridor is a prime example of horrible navigation with useless communication, which is also something Flash is notorious for. What is that site? A design agency? Marketers? It tells me nothing.
post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Seriously? That's the website you're using to promote flash?

That is precisely the type of website that has caused many of us to dislike Flash. In all my years of web usage, i've only witnessed flash used well a handful of times. It seems like 99.5% of the time, flash worsens my web browsing experience rather than improving it. Not everyone feels this way, but many people do.

Our dislike of flash long predates the iOS/flash controversy. Jobs' decision to not pursue a usable iOS flash runtime, is largely motivated by the prevalence of the experience described above.

See above. The site is about creativity and design as its main content is about a group of designers. It needs to stand out and be different which it achieves.

Flash fills a gap that html5 can't meet yet. Sure html5 is great for video, I have developed websites choosing that over flash already and will continue to, but it does not cater for anyone that is a web DESIGNER yet. You can't make animated content without getting down to low level code with html5, you can with flash. This will change when adobe brings out its html5 creative tools but until then FLASH FILLS A GAP IN THE MARKET whether you or saint jobs likes it or not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended