or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended - Page 2

post #41 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Do you not understand the whole concept of design and branding? That website is not about a fancy easy user experience for geeks, it is meant to be something creative that stands out at it certainly does that.

Designers designing for design sake, is not something I find desirable outside of a purely artistic context. Websites should always be designed for the user unless they are intended as purely art.

As for branding, that website is harming the brand. It does stand out... stands out as a website so bad that I can't even remember what it was about and I didn't actually end up reading any of the content.
post #42 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

See above. The site is about creativity and design as its main content is about a group of designers. It needs to stand out and be different which it achieves.

This is fine. But this argument only persuades designers that they should want flash.
post #43 of 121
Outdated or whatever you want to say about Flash, I think it should be a matter of choice for the consumer. This is something I don't like about Jobs and Apple. After years of nearly begging people to support Apple's products, now that they have successful products, they exclude people like this. If it weren't for Adobe (and Quark) and the printing and prepress industry, I'm not sure Apple would even be here today. Times were pretty lean in the 1990's and the only market where Apple shined was in the printing and prepress industry, which is where Adobe pretty much had a locked up market, except for Quark's domination in page layout. It just about sucked to own a Mac at that time. People used to look at me like I had 2 heads when I told them I used a Mac. Now, they've gotten all arrogant about themselves.
post #44 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Jobs hating Flash is him voting for the customer, not for Apple.

Adobe and Microsoft have a habit of defending technologies AGAINST the interests of customers, to the benefit of their hegemonies.

One fundamental difference between Flash and HTML5 which supports your point is that if you want to develop Flash content, the first thing you have to do is purchase Flash (either alone, or as part of a CS package) from Adobe. If, on the other hand, you want to develop HTML5 content, you can just open up TextEdit (or NotePad on Windows), and start hacking away. Now, if Adobe removed their license restrictions from Flash, and made it available as a free download, then they would have a level playing field from which to plead their case. As it is, Adobe are torqued because Steve Jobs, with his very terse public statements, is making it more difficult for them to sell Flash.

HTML5 is not yet fully mature, as has been discussed in various articles, so for now, it's not a significant threat to Flash. But in a couple of years, if Steve's campaign of FUD continues, and in the same period of time, Adobe doesn't work to streamline its rich media platform, Flash could be in serious trouble.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #45 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirespeed View Post

ClickToFlash is a great plugin, but probably not the best plugin to use to cast a vote against Flash. The problem with ClickToFlash is that it masquerades as Flash, and still leaves Flash running in the background. In this way, to a website owner, it still looks like their Flash content is getting hits even though you're not viewing it.

John Gruber of daringfireball.net wrote an excellent article about Flash, ClickToFlash, and how to disable Flash completely (except when you need it --Google Chrome) here:
http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/fl..._google_chrome

This looks like a better solution for Chrome users.

It should hit release in 6 to 12 weeks.
post #46 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Outdated or whatever you want to say about Flash, I think it should be a matter of choice for the consumer. This is something I don't like about Jobs and Apple.

Note1) Everyone is saying that it is a choice for the consumer to make. I beg to differ. The consumer has no say in this issue. Are there online elections taking place for people to vote on what software a particular developer should be using? Or which software a particular company should use to design its website?

Note2) Since when Flash has become the good guy in town!

Flash is just a plugin that used to be used in older days in which browsers were not strong enough to provide dynamic interface. The browser market is now mature enough to move on from such plugins. Flash may still have some uses but its role is fading.

The only way I can see Flash to survive is if Adobe launches its own Flash OS phones. Otherwise why would companies like Google/Apple/MS have to spent so much money on mobile OS development. All they have to do is to create a minisoftware that can support Flash plugin, and they are NOT doing that!
post #47 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Jobs hating Flash is him voting for the customer, not for Apple.

Adobe and Microsoft have a habit of defending technologies AGAINST the interests of customers, to the benefit of their hegemonies.

One fundamental difference between Flash and HTML5 which supports your point is that if you want to develop Flash content, the first thing you have to do is purchase Flash (either alone, or as part of a CS package) from Adobe. If, on the other hand, you want to develop HTML5 content, you can just open up TextEdit (or NotePad on Windows), and start hacking away. Now, if Adobe removed their license restrictions from Flash, and made it available as a free download, then they would have a level playing field from which to plead their case. As it is, Adobe are torqued because Steve Jobs, with his very terse public statements, is making it more difficult for them to sell Flash.

HTML5 is not yet fully mature, as has been discussed in various articles, so for now, it's not a significant threat to Flash. But in a couple of years, if Steve's campaign of FUD continues, and in the same period of time, Adobe doesn't work to streamline its rich media platform, Flash could be in serious trouble.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #48 of 121
The world would be a better place if Adobe just shut down all mac products. Steve Jobs struts around like he is the most important person in computing and one day its going to kick him up the backside. The fact of the matter is the latest version of flash works fine on my non mac computer and is awful on my mac. Something doesn't add up here and I think it's the fact that apple won't let adobe use the appropriate APIs to make it run properly on a mac
post #49 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I do not have a vested interest in flash at all. I have never created any flash content in my life. I am just trying to be rational on this forum because most of you cult followers don't see the other side of the argument whatsoever.

perhaps there should not be websites like that in first place. The UI is horrible for corridor. Just because you have the freedom to make vertical text links, does not mean you should, especially for a site that is to be viewed horizontally. What is on that site, that could not be reproduced with jpgs, dhtml, css, and javascript? absolutely nothing, but guaranteed that flash file size dwarfs the html version. And for no added benefits other than the laziness to not have to css hack/optimize for the all the main browsers.

This is something no one talks about, but i am going to say it....Flash also allows talentless/hobbyist designers to create absolute foul stools and place them on the web to ruin the experience of the web for the rest of us. Design is more than flashy/crappy graphics and animation, 'cause you can. Though i will agree there is no competing program that can do what Flash does somewhat seamlessly, Actionscripting/javascripting was not originally designed/optimized to animate the horrendously large, complicated, algorithm-ed, multi-layed SVGs that non-professionals have atrociously used it for.

A professional "rich web content" experience is also about the limitations of your medium and becoming a master of the process, which includes design limitations relative to screen size, content delivery, and processing capabilities. Very few "flash" designers have every achieved this. Optimization is crucial, even with todays broadband and wifi accessible world. There is no substitution for proper planning, which also includes who will be able to access this content/how/at which speed, the lowest common denominators. The majority of the market of the personal/professional computer users are windows users with one thing in mind, price..which means cheap, which means configurations never even thought or considered. Which means Flash from a professional content designer's perspective leaves too many unknowns how it will run. Trust me, I have professional used, taught, and tutored flash since the beginning, i would test the same project on every computer I could get my hands on, offline and online and the experience was similar but different each time. There is no telling how it will run from computer to computer. Animation lag, is the best you can hope for.

Since Adobe has purchased macromedia, it has tried to merge the capabilities of Director and try to merge it with Flash...that was a bad idea from the start. Even before the purchase, trying to encode video? Seriously? Leave that to big boys, to dedicated professional video applications. Adobe has never gotten it right in that department either. Now the bulk of flash-designed content is annoying ads and porn, most professional designers abandoned it for websites a long time ago.

There I said...and with all that said, I hope to see the millions of poorly designed/optimized flash sites to quietly disappear into the night, so I can surf without the worry that flash is going to gain access or crash my browser/system
post #50 of 121
deleted
post #51 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Flash makes it really easy to build something akin to an App Store, but one where Apple doesn't get 30%.

Can it?

Note1) why hasn't it happen yet?

Note2) if something can make money, everyone would use it to make more money! Apple would use it to make more money as well.

Note3) The Adobe Air marketplace has been around for so long! How many apps have you bought/developed for Adobe Air?
post #52 of 121
some stores selling out of the phone sounds mysteriously like a spontaneous line dance.
post #53 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But... But... This user found the solution!


9. May 27, 2010 11:05 AM in response to: mac__user
Re: High CPU usage on sites with flash content
Here's what fixed the problem for me. In the end, Flash wasn't the culprit (totally).

My laptop is a Core 2 duo and now 3 years old. I never thought that dust will go in through the CPU Fan vent and will accumulate there, causing the fan to work inefficiently and not cooling the CPU as much as required. I read on some Forums that cleaning this dust and taking out the congestion on the Fan solved their problem of high CPU. First I couldn't believe that. Yesterday I thought I will give it a try. I took my Vaccum Cleaner and used it across the vents. I couldn't believe the amount of dust came of out that thing. I cleaned it all up. Then I prayed and turned on my machine. Anyway I wanted to watch the last episode of LOST, so I thought that testing this fix on Hulu would be the best test. I watched the whole episode of length 1:45 mins with only few hickups. It was unbelievable. Now my machine is behaving like what a Core 2 duo should.

So, my advice is that. If your desktop/laptop is 1-2 years or more old, then the CPU fan definitely needs some cleaning. It made difference for me, no kidding. Just take that Vaccum Cleaner and fix it.

Hope this helps some of you!

I assure you it isn't dust inside my laptop. In fact, when I read that, I didn't beliveve a goddamned word of it. Dust? Dafuck are they talking about? I'm not talking about dust. When Flash ads are run, the CPU pegs, PEGS at 100% and pretty soon, the fan starts to blow like a leaf blower. This was my old Pentium 4 Windoze XP laptop. It was single core, so a single runaway thread could do that. The whole Firefox app would become extremely unresponsive. I would have to force quit the process. Then I went to the Mozilla forums (thinking it was the browser) and other people were seeing this problem. Someone from Mozilla identified it as a problem with the Flash plugin. The forum members suggested a no-Flash plugin. It worked. That's the solution, not a vacuum cleaner.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #54 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I assure you it isn't dust inside my laptop. In fact, when I read that, I didn't beliveve a goddamned word of it. Dust? Dafuck are they talking about? I'm not talking about dust. When Flash ads are run, the CPU pegs, PEGS at 100% and pretty soon, the fan starts to blow like a leaf blower. This was my old Pentium 4 Windoze XP laptop. It was single core, so a single runaway thread could do that. The whole Firefox app would become extremely unresponsive. I would have to force quit the process. Then I went to the Mozilla forums (thinking it was the browser) and other people were seeing this problem. Someone from Mozilla identified it as a problem with the Flash plugin. The forum members suggested a no-Flash plugin. It worked. That's the solution, not a vacuum cleaner.

hmmmm I think nvidia2008 only posted a humorous response to the Flash problem. I have been laughing at it since I read it 10min ago

Resolving Flash CPU usage by vacuum cleaner is equivalent to blaming Steve Jobs for this:

Daily Mail Article
post #55 of 121
deleted
post #56 of 121
deleted
post #57 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

No, because such things are prohibited by the iOS dev agreement.

I think the issue is that it is allowed and can be done for other environments! Why hasn't it been done yet?

We can blame iOS terms of service for this particular case but what about other systems?
post #58 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

The world would be a better place if Adobe just shut down all mac products. Steve Jobs struts around like he is the most important person in computing and one day its going to kick him up the backside. The fact of the matter is the latest version of flash works fine on my non mac computer and is awful on my mac. Something doesn't add up here and I think it's the fact that apple won't let adobe use the appropriate APIs to make it run properly on a mac

It really isn't you know. There's no Special API to make Flash not suck. You think games and other visual software are sprinkled with some magical Apple pixie dust which everyone but Adobe has access to?
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
My Android phone is the worst phone I've ever owned.
Reply
post #59 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Outdated or whatever you want to say about Flash, I think it should be a matter of choice for the consumer. This is something I don't like about Jobs and Apple. After years of nearly begging people to support Apple's products, now that they have successful products, they exclude people like this. If it weren't for Adobe (and Quark) and the printing and prepress industry, I'm not sure Apple would even be here today. Times were pretty lean in the 1990's and the only market where Apple shined was in the printing and prepress industry, which is where Adobe pretty much had a locked up market, except for Quark's domination in page layout. It just about sucked to own a Mac at that time. People used to look at me like I had 2 heads when I told them I used a Mac. Now, they've gotten all arrogant about themselves.

But you forget that Adobe only recently acquired Flash. This "Apple hates Adobe" story isn't true. Do you really think Steve Jobs doesn't know Apples history with Adobe? He mentioned it in his "Thoughts on Flash" open letter. The not-so-sensationalist FACTS are that Apple has taken a "no external plugins" stance for their mobile browser. It's not aimed at Adobe anymore than it's aimed at Microsoft. I will dismiss the presumption of "arrogance" as the result of an incomplete grasp of the facts and believing in the blogosphere's false narrative. A narrative that Adobe's PR is gleefully perpetuating (for obvious reasons). Steve Jobs is more control freak than arrogant, or did you not pay attention to the dozens of biographical books and articles about him?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #60 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I think the issue is that it is allowed and can be done for other environments! Why hasn't it been done yet?

We can blame iOS terms of service for this particular case but what about other systems?

If you Google "Flash Games" or "Flash Arcade" you'll get a bunch of websites and thousands of games. Some are paid, most are ad supported.

You'll even find a lot of free games that have paid counterparts in the App Store.
post #61 of 121
When it comes to Flash vs. Apple, this site is like watching Fox News for political information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

One fundamental difference between Flash and HTML5 which supports your point is that if you want to develop Flash content, the first thing you have to do is purchase Flash (either alone, or as part of a CS package) from Adobe.

Not even slightly true. The whole Flex API is open source. You can download it for free on Adobe's site and program with an open source environment like Eclipse. Frankly, I find it easier than Adobe's own options for creating Flash content.

Flash flourished in the past because Javascript was designed by a committee of squabbling rivals and was inconsistant for both the author and end-user. Javascript was simply not suitable for creating the media web we now know. Flash was.

HTML5 is also being designed by committee and I'm certain will have the same issues. It may just about catch up with Flash from 5 years ago but it's not going anywhere new fast. The new stuff will again be left to companies who have tight control. That may be Flash or it may be something like Unity. It wont be HTML5. Who knows this truth better than anyone else? Apple, the king of control.
post #62 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

some stores selling out of the phone sounds mysteriously like a spontaneous line dance.

LOVE IT!!
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #63 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

gain, it's not like I don't think we would have a better web if Flash wasn't abused like it is at the moment, but Lynch is actually not far off the truth with this comment. The review mentioned only really tested how much battery life advertising takes up.

This is correct.

The only fair comparison that can be made at this time is that of HTML5 video to Flash video. HTML5 wins hands down in cpu usage. In my test with the exact same video with code that I wrote, HTML5 uses 19% compared to Flash 36%. Both of these numbers are quite satisfactory for rich media.

If I was to write a Flash swf that did absolutely nothing, the Flash plugin only uses 5% in an idle state. Flash was never intended to be a video player, it just turned out to be the best way to display video a decade ago, but it was a kluge at first and later improved with Flash 8 from Macromedia. It has remained pretty much in the same state since.

Flash is still the best way to display really fancy animations and interactive presentations. By the time the canvas tag and javascript are able to do what Flash can currently do, I'd be willing to bet it will use every bit as much battery and cpu as Flash does today.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #64 of 121
[QUOTE=tjw;1748843]I agree banners suck and everything but the fact remains. There is no technology that matches flash for rich web content. If there is, you will explain how it is possible to currently make a website like http://www.seecorridor.com/ without flash. This is what designers and brand managers use.

I'll field this.

Standards compliant css and javascript supports opacity, positioning, z-index, and image stretching and clipping. I don't see anything in that site that can't be done without flash. There are effects that only flash can do within reason (such as rotation and such), but that site doesn't have any of them.

It's a frustrating, CPU taxing, battery sucking fact that most people use flash because they're ignorant of other options. I'm still happily using a 2002 era titanium powerbook. You know why it's still snappy and usable? I disabled flash.

And yes, I do this stuff for a living.
post #65 of 121
deleted
post #66 of 121
deleted
post #67 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

When it comes to Flash vs. Apple, this site is like watching Fox News for political information.



Not even slightly true. The whole Flex API is open source. You can download it for free on Adobe's site and program with an open source environment like Eclipse. Frankly, I find it easier than Adobe's own options for creating Flash content.

Flash flourished in the past because Javascript was designed by a committee of squabbling rivals and was inconsistant for both the author and end-user. Javascript was simply not suitable for creating the media web we now know. Flash was.

HTML5 is also being designed by committee and I'm certain will have the same issues. It may just about catch up with Flash from 5 years ago but it's not going anywhere new fast. The new stuff will again be left to companies who have tight control. That may be Flash or it may be something like Unity. It wont be HTML5. Who knows this truth better than anyone else? Apple, the king of control.

Um. Steve's beef is with Flash, not with Flex.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #68 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post

Perhaps you could explain how moving large amounts of equivalent data around in optimized bytecode is less efficient than also having to parse verbose XML and interpret ASCII JavaScript at runtime to get the same result.


As you know, the javascript engine and the html5 interpreter are compiled into the browser executable where as Flash is a plugin. That is the main bottle neck. Sort of like the difference between running php as a module vs compiling it into apache. Big performance hit using a plugin architecture.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #69 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Um. Steve's beef is with Flash, not with Flex.


Sorry Flex uses the Flash plugin to display

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #70 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

It really isn't you know. There's no Special API to make Flash not suck. You think games and other visual software are sprinkled with some magical Apple pixie dust which everyone but Adobe has access to?

He is talking about the ability to use the GPU. Part of the reason Flash sucked was that Apple previously didn't allow access to the GPU so Flash had to do everything on the CPU. This has now changed but only for newer Macs.
post #71 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

See above. The site is about creativity and design as its main content is about a group of designers. It needs to stand out and be different which it achieves.

Flash fills a gap that html5 can't meet yet. Sure html5 is great for video, I have developed websites choosing that over flash already and will continue to, but it does not cater for anyone that is a web DESIGNER yet. You can't make animated content without getting down to low level code with html5, you can with flash. This will change when adobe brings out its html5 creative tools but until then FLASH FILLS A GAP IN THE MARKET whether you or saint jobs likes it or not.

That site is visually appealing and simple. The Flash isn't offensive and surprise, surprise, it isn't a CPU hog either. It doesn't exactly push the envelope in terms of interaction though (thank God) and could easily be done with HTML5. But honestly, does it really add much to the "branding?" I was just there and it made no impression on me as to what it was. The interactive text was practically illegible and sideways to boot (All I remember is that it was for something in London, presumably a fine arts event or a company involved in some creative endeavor. I lost interest before clicking through very much.)
I find this kind of site slightly annoying. The really awful ones I find intolerable. The content is not parse-able, searchable, or printable. What's the point other than to make the author think he's an artist? That is not branding.
Contrary to what you seem to think, Flash is a silly and inefficient choice for video, as well as most other applications it is used for.
The main use for Flash that makes any sense is for interactive visual presentations like you see in the New York Times, etc. or for a strictly artistic expression. I realize digital strategy consultants push it and company representatives crave the perceived "brand statement" and "rich user experience." But users find it an offensive annoyance. As a designer I see it as a naive excuse for real communication and value and a indicator that the enterprise and designing entity have no real ideas.
post #72 of 121
deleted
post #73 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

That's the engine. Now what about the code unique to a given site?

You may want to consider this:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=44

Exactly. That is where Flash really gets a bad rap. Amateur coders do really dumb things and Flash attracts them like flies. Well written code will run well on any platform.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #74 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Um. Steve's beef is with Flash, not with Flex.

I understand your confusion - Adobe hasn't helped by introducing these two names. For the purposes of an end user, they are the same thing. Both are AS3 at the core and, as the post above points out, the end point is the Flash stuff you see on the internet.
post #75 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

LOL - Gruber's answer is to run a second browser.

His solution is to run another browser, only when you absolutely need it, that has Flash built-in, not as a plugin, so that you can avoid using it almost all the time, and control when it's loaded, and kill it immediately when done with it.
post #76 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

The world would be a better place if Adobe just shut down all mac products. Steve Jobs struts around like he is the most important person in computing and one day its going to kick him up the backside. The fact of the matter is the latest version of flash works fine on my non mac computer and is awful on my mac. Something doesn't add up here and I think it's the fact that apple won't let adobe use the appropriate APIs to make it run properly on a mac

Ah then, clearly you are a troll.
Sorry I wasted my time and effort pointing out your blind spots before. Clearly you were already aware of them.
post #77 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

... Steve Jobs struts around like he is the most important person in computing ...

Well, actually, although I would disagree that he struts, right now, he is.
post #78 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

perhaps there should not be websites like that in first place. The UI is horrible for corridor. Just because you have the freedom to make vertical text links, does not mean you should, especially for a site that is to be viewed horizontally. What is on that site, that could not be reproduced with jpgs, dhtml, css, and javascript? absolutely nothing, but guaranteed that flash file size dwarfs the html version. And for no added benefits other than the laziness to not have to css hack/optimize for the all the main browsers.

This is something no one talks about, but i am going to say it....Flash also allows talentless/hobbyist designers to create absolute foul stools and place them on the web to ruin the experience of the web for the rest of us. Design is more than flashy/crappy graphics and animation, 'cause you can. Though i will agree there is no competing program that can do what Flash does somewhat seamlessly, Actionscripting/javascripting was not originally designed/optimized to animate the horrendously large, complicated, algorithm-ed, multi-layed SVGs that non-professionals have atrociously used it for.

A professional "rich web content" experience is also about the limitations of your medium and becoming a master of the process, which includes design limitations relative to screen size, content delivery, and processing capabilities. Very few "flash" designers have every achieved this. Optimization is crucial, even with todays broadband and wifi accessible world. There is no substitution for proper planning, which also includes who will be able to access this content/how/at which speed, the lowest common denominators. The majority of the market of the personal/professional computer users are windows users with one thing in mind, price..which means cheap, which means configurations never even thought or considered. Which means Flash from a professional content designer's perspective leaves too many unknowns how it will run. Trust me, I have professional used, taught, and tutored flash since the beginning, i would test the same project on every computer I could get my hands on, offline and online and the experience was similar but different each time. There is no telling how it will run from computer to computer. Animation lag, is the best you can hope for.

Since Adobe has purchased macromedia, it has tried to merge the capabilities of Director and try to merge it with Flash...that was a bad idea from the start. Even before the purchase, trying to encode video? Seriously? Leave that to big boys, to dedicated professional video applications. Adobe has never gotten it right in that department either. Now the bulk of flash-designed content is annoying ads and porn, most professional designers abandoned it for websites a long time ago.

There I said...and with all that said, I hope to see the millions of poorly designed/optimized flash sites to quietly disappear into the night, so I can surf without the worry that flash is going to gain access or crash my browser/system

Amen, Brother!
post #79 of 121
deleted
post #80 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

... The only fair comparison that can be made at this time is that of HTML5 video to Flash video. HTML5 wins hands down in cpu usage. In my test with the exact same video with code that I wrote, HTML5 uses 19% compared to Flash 36%. Both of these numbers are quite satisfactory for rich media...

Actually, I think it would be a totally fair comparison to redesign a Flash site to use the HTML5 functionality available today and compare both the resources required to render/run it and the usability. Not only will the resources required be less, the site is likely to be far better in terms of delivering it's message and in usability than the Flash site.

To say that it's not Flash's fault that it only works by being a complete resource pig and that, if we design equally resource pig HTML5 sites, they will suck just as bad is really missing the point of what's wrong with Flash.

Quote:
... Flash is still the best way to display really fancy animations and interactive presentations. By the time the canvas tag and javascript are able to do what Flash can currently do, I'd be willing to bet it will use every bit as much battery and cpu as Flash does today.

And here's hoping they never get to that point, or if they do, design will have moved on to a more rational basis by then. Those fancy animations and interactive presentations that are Flash's hallmark are the number one reason why Flash sites are so useless.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Briefly: Windows Phone 7 US launch, Mac OS X 10.6.5 beta, Adobe Flash defended