or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G3 booting in Yaboot 1.3.13

iMac G3 booting in Yaboot 1.3.13

post #1 of 3
Hi There,
Hoping to get some advise on this and I apologise in advance if I use the wrong terminology or don't know as much as the rest of you - I have been jumped on in a forum once before and have not tried another until now.
I bought two of the fruity flavoured iMac G3's on ebay as a Christmas gift for my little girl - it will only need to run very basic word processing and kids educational games, so whilst I know it is incredibly outdated - it is also pretty!!
They are both supposed to be running OSX 10.2.8 - one is going fine and booting up correctly, the other is booting up in what it refers to as Yaboot 1.3.13
I have googled this and it seems to be some sort of Linux deal (of which I have NO knowledge) and since I have been unable to contact the seller, was wondering if anyone knew how to override this.
To complicate matters further, there appears to be a CD stuck in the drive which I cannot remove as the only thing this machine will do is turn on, show a pink screen and then show the Yaboot and all the failed system checks. It then proceeds to ask me for a Login and a Password (guessing has obviously gotten me nowhere here). I would have tried to insert my OSX disc to try and see if I could boot it that way - but as I said, disk drive is occupied!!
If someone would take pity and try to give me a hand here, I would really appreciate it. I am not TOTALLY illiterate when it comes to software for Macs etc, but Linux is WAY out of my league. Many Thanks for any help I could get
post #2 of 3
Turn the power on and hold down the mouse button after you hear the startup sound. That should get the disk out. Then put a 10.2 or 10.3 disk in it and do a clean installation.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #3 of 3
So pleased that I was at least on the right track - thank you for your time (fingers crossed and will try this tonight when the little one is asleep) can't let her see her Xmas Pres :-)
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › iMac G3 booting in Yaboot 1.3.13