or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500 - Page 4

post #121 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Rim announced the PlayBook on 9/27 -- showing videos and mockups only, lots of missing specs (price, Battery, etc). No demos -- a brand new (to them) OS (QNX) and brand new (to them) UI (Flash, AIR, whatever). No SDK, no release date. RIM and Adobe, both have poor track records with touch, and multitouch interface.


Based on that, and extrapolating from Apple's intro / release of the iPhone, (AIR) I predicted a June 2011 release (at best) of the PlayBook. I wondered why they held the announcement at all.


Apple demoed working iPhones in Jan 2007. Announced specs, Battery, Price and release month. R Apple had to transfer expert Mac OS X people to the iPhone team (Delaying the new release of Mac OS X) to make their June deadline. An SDK was not part of the original package.


I just watched the 2007 iPhone announcement keynote. Very long, complete, detailed demo of apps and the UI. I would call this a very advanced beta, Reporters had hands-on within weeks.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/18/...n-with-iphone.

Apple met their 6 month release deadline -- 6-month concentrated effort from a late beta at announce.


Rim and Adobe, 1 month after announce, release preliminary SDKs -- fragmented, download bits from several places -- early alpha feel.

Rim, 1 month after their sept 27 announcement, live demos PlayBook at Adobe event. Very limited and controlled demo of OS and apps. UI is not done. Has late Alpha look and feel. AFAICT, no one outside Rim and Adobe has hands-on experience. Still no published battery life? No published release month?


Based on where we are today, I revised my estimate to, a very generous, March 2011 release -- that means significant product, say 100,000 in the channel by March 31, 2011. Sales would need to be over 100,000 for the 9 months of availability in 2011.

I don't see this competing with the iPad, HP Slate, or Galaxy Tab. Supposedly it is targeted at enterprise.

There better be a lot of enterprise apps already written in AIR!

I did not factor in competition for parts and production facilities.

I believe that most enterprises are in, or have recently completed, their budget/planning cycle for 2011. I doubt many PlayBooks are in these budgets. I suspect there are many iPads in enterprise budgets and app development projects are already underway.


I just don't see the PlayBook being a success -- it's the wrong company(s), introducing the wrong product at the wrong time.


But, as you say: we'll see.

.

I do not know if it will be successful, but the one area I think it does have a real chance is the Medical setting. The size fits in the pockets of standard doctor jackets, and BB security meets or exceeds federal HIPAA requirements - so it would be perfect for electronic transfer of records.
post #122 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Now, that is really the make or break question right there... (the screen size is certainly not)

So far, IMHO of course, RIM has not proven that they do understand touch interfaces, neither the Storm, nor the Storm 2, nor the Torch have received any praise for their touch implementation. How they will magically just pull that off on a bigger device is something I do not see just happening (of course, it is possible). So far they gave the press no hands-on time with the devices, and one can literally show off everything hidden inside a glass cube and running a video.

RIM still has a special position in the enterprise world (at least in the US), and they will certainly move some units. But without attracting consumers, it will remain a niche product. Usability and availability of apps and media will be key factors... none of these are historical strengths of RIM, let's see if they can change that.

I totally agree! The Playbook is a device that will pretty much be useless without an actual Blackberry handset. And with the popularity of the blackberry handset dwindling, it's just pretty impractical to think that a person will buy a phone with failing popularity just so that they can have a playbook. I am an owner of the original storm and I can't wait until my contract is up so that I can change platforms. I Will never again buy another RIM device, they are horrible when it comes to support. And more importantly, they are horrible when it comes to innovation and creativity.
post #123 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by crift2012 View Post

...when Jobs says a 7-in tablet is DOA, I would not bet against him. What other company has even put in a fraction of the time developing and researching what size is a ideal form factor for a tablet? its purely reactionary...

Well said. Jobs and Company have been astutely researching these issues... although I still think a 7" size may be a good addition at some point.
post #124 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

I totally agree! The Playbook is a device that will pretty much be useless without an actual Blackberry handset. And with the popularity of the blackberry handset dwindling, it's just pretty impractical to think that a person will buy a phone with failing popularity just so that they can have a playbook. I am an owner of the original storm and I can't wait until my contract is up so that I can change platforms. I Will never again buy another RIM device, they are horrible when it comes to support. And more importantly, they are horrible when it comes to innovation and creativity.

Blackberry dwindling? They sold nearly 12 million handsets in the 3rd quarter, which is a 40% increase over the year before. Hardly dwindling. Yes, I know that is not the same as massive increase in Android sets, but it also not an indication of a RIM death knell as the press likes to claim.
post #125 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I do not know if it will be successful, but the one area I think it does have a real chance is the Medical setting. The size fits in the pockets of standard doctor jackets, and BB security meets or exceeds federal HIPAA requirements - so it would be perfect for electronic transfer of records.

Is this why the clipboard size has prevailed for about 80 years, and several healthcare organizations that own hospitals are doing in-house iPad integration work for an upcoming system-wide rollout?
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #126 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I do not know if it will be successful, but the one area I think it does have a real chance is the Medical setting. The size fits in the pockets of standard doctor jackets, and BB security meets or exceeds federal HIPAA requirements - so it would be perfect for electronic transfer of records.

It could be successful in medical -- especially if the software is there.

There are a lot of medical apps already written for the iPad.

I think iOS 4.2 satisfies the security requirements.


I searched a couple of months back for lab coats and other medical garb that had pockets big enough for the iPad -- rather tedious job looking up pocket sizes. It wasn't too successful.

But that has changed. Medical clothing manufacturers are now advertising iPad-ready clothing. There must be a demand!.

http://www.uniformsandscrub.com/thum...deep=1&cid=481


Finally, the budget issue I mentioned -- here's an interesting link -- including some medical:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/11/ipad-...-corporations/

And the slide show at:

http://www.boxtone.com/products/smar...rise_ipad.aspx

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #127 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Is this why the clipboard size has prevailed for about 80 years, and several healthcare organizations that own hospitals are doing in-house iPad integration work for an upcoming system-wide rollout?

Clipboards = paper = standard size of 8.5 x 11. Until the advent of tablet computers, there was not much in the way of an alternative to paper. Also, if you notice, most doctors carry a pocket version of the PDR and a small flip style notebook that fits in the coat pocket. Hence, when given the option, many/most doctors will put things in their pockets to leave their hands free.

Several healthcare organizations does not equal every single health care organization. Notice, I said the Playbook could be successful in the medical setting, not that the Playbook would be the ONLY tablet. Success does not necessarily equal 100% market share.

Part of the advantage of the Playbook would be that hospitals would not need to do their own integration if they already have BB servers installed. Supposedly the Playbook is ready to go once one turns it on. This lowers the cost to the hospital.
post #128 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

Clipboards = paper = standard size of 8.5 x 11. Until the advent of tablet computers, there was not much in the way of an alternative to paper. Also, if you notice, most doctors carry a pocket version of the PDR and a small flip style notebook that fits in the coat pocket. Hence, when given the option, many/most doctors will put things in their pockets to leave their hands free.

Several healthcare organizations does not equal every single health care organization. Notice, I said the Playbook could be successful in the medical setting, not that the Playbook would be the ONLY tablet. Success does not necessarily equal 100% market share.

Part of the advantage of the Playbook would be that hospitals would not need to do their own integration if they already have BB servers installed. Supposedly the Playbook is ready to go once one turns it on. This lowers the cost to the hospital.

No I don't notice that about Doctors. And the decades of paper have created a certain comfort with the format. So unless somebody can come up with a compelling way to talk people into believing smaller and lower resolution is better for medical imagery, or form reading/input the concept you seem to want won't even be DOA, it just won't be.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #129 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

No I don't notice that about Doctors. And the decades of paper have created a certain comfort with the format. So unless somebody can come up with a compelling way to talk people into believing smaller and lower resolution is better for medical imagery, or form reading/input the concept you seem to want won't even be DOA, it just won't be.

First off, where did I ever mention medical imagery? I mentioned document transfer - hence paper records and charts. The Kindle and other e-readers seem to do just fine on the smaller screen. So, I guess millions of people using e-readers must be wrong, and your vastly superior and omniscient intellect must be correct.

Second, my area of research is MRI and fMRI in drug abusers. You can read images just fine on smaller screens.

But, you do not have to take my word for it, as it appears that the Playbook will get the eUnity Imaging App, which allows for the streaming of medical images.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Health-Care...cation-689386/

so apparently, I am not the only that thinks the idea is viable, but again, your superior intellect must know all and be correct.
post #130 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

Clipboards = paper = standard size of 8.5 x 11. Until the advent of tablet computers, there was not much in the way of an alternative to paper. Also, if you notice, most doctors carry a pocket version of the PDR and a small flip style notebook that fits in the coat pocket.

I'd have thought most docs had moved to Epocrates or something by now vs a pocket pdr. You can get it on pretty much any smartphone.

Quote:
Hence, when given the option, many/most doctors will put things in their pockets to leave their hands free.

Well yeah...but the iPad fits too. Probably a little awkwardly once you put it into a case...you pretty much have to have one for the environment. Preferably a case you can easily sterilize.

Quote:
Part of the advantage of the Playbook would be that hospitals would not need to do their own integration if they already have BB servers installed. Supposedly the Playbook is ready to go once one turns it on. This lowers the cost to the hospital.

BB servers have zip to do with the back end EMR/EDIS as far as I know. The key to a tablet's success in the medical arena will be software support by the various vendors...not how long it takes for IT to configure.
post #131 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

I'd have thought most docs had moved to Epocrates or something by now vs a pocket pdr. You can get it on pretty much any smartphone.

The younger ones yes, but the older guys are traditionalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Well yeah...but the iPad fits too. Probably a little awkwardly once you put it into a case...you pretty much have to have one for the environment. Preferably a case you can easily sterilize.

Unfortunately, the iPad does not fit easily into a standard pocket - in the sense of easy in and out, and the weight is a bit of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

BB servers have zip to do with the back end EMR/EDIS as far as I know. The key to a tablet's success in the medical arena will be software support by the various vendors...not how long it takes for IT to configure.

You may be right, I was just referring to the security aspects of data transfer for HIPAA regulations.
post #132 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

First off, where did I ever mention medical imagery? I mentioned document transfer - hence paper records and charts. The Kindle and other e-readers seem to do just fine on the smaller screen. So, I guess millions of people using e-readers must be wrong, and your vastly superior and omniscient intellect must be correct.

You didn't mention medical imagery, and that was a critical omission on your part. The ability to take imagery directly to a patient without specialized hardware is one of the primary reasons two of the organizations I know of are doing the iPad work.


Quote:
Second, my area of research is MRI and fMRI in drug abusers. You can read images just fine on smaller screens.

I disagree, and that comes from conversations with the guy that developed (and owns, as in his work + hired talent to generate them) most of the patents on the imagery processing for those machines.

Quote:
But, you do not have to take my word for it, as it appears that the Playbook will get the eUnity Imaging App, which allows for the streaming of medical images.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Health-Care...cation-689386/

so apparently, I am not the only that thinks the idea is viable, but again, your superior intellect must know all and be correct.

Well, just because something is made available, doesn't mean it will be successful. The Edsel was a car, available to the general public all the way until it was killed. The Galaxy Tab is available and getting killed so badly in reviews it will be non-viable pretty quickly.

My points on image size and the Gizmodo evisceration of the 7" Galaxy Tab overall usability in the 7" form factor (for pretty much the same reasons) paint a awfully bleak picture for the probability of success for the PlayBook in anything that requires imagery unless it is impossible to get such imagery on an iPad. And we know that isn't the case.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #133 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

Clipboards = paper = standard size of 8.5 x 11. Until the advent of tablet computers, there was not much in the way of an alternative to paper. Also, if you notice, most doctors carry a pocket version of the PDR and a small flip style notebook that fits in the coat pocket.

So the only reason the clipboard size has endured is because "there's no alternative to paper" except, apparently, for smaller sized paper.

Quote:
Hence, when given the option, many/most doctors will put things in their pockets to leave their hands free.

If smaller sized flip style notebooks that fit in a pocket are preferable, why does the clipboard not just endure, but remain the de facto standard? Doctors clearly have the option, small notebooks are available, yet the clipboard is ubiquitous.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM's PlayBook will take on Apple's iPad with a price under $500