or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor

Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor - Page 5

post #161 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw View Post

Correction: You insult me with a patronizing 'quiz' to push your own agenda. All I have done is explained a lock in to the apple ecosystem, in mobile apps. When you buy an iphone you are limited to whatever the new iphone is when you come to upgrade. When you buy a phone on another platform that I have mentioned then you have a much wider choice of an upgrade handset in that platform without losing your apps. What is contrived about that example? Correct. Nothing.

Parody of your ridiculous position sucks don't it. You try to define a new to the universe version of lock-in. Problem is everyone else knows and accepts what you are trying to play as new and nefarious. At least you used the term platform this time. I think you fell flat on the upgrade within the platform again though, every viable platform provides an upgrade path. whether you like that path or not weighs on whether you buy into the platform in the first place.

Personally I find nothing in the Android world a significant upgrade compared to an iPhone 4. Spec-whoring can come up with little differences on a phone by phone basis, but overall where's the well executed feature that's an upgrade draw worthy of creating a platform to platform shift. It's not there. And if it's not there, there's no real upgrade. In platform or cross platform.

So trying to create a platform shift scenario with a LARGE paid app investment where no platform shifting motivation exists IS contrived. Especially when you ignore the whole set of reasons people buy into platforms in the first place, which is the platform itself. You keep leaving out all the important stuff to try and make your point and that just constitutes a heap of fail. Kinda like this:

post #162 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Parody of your ridiculous position sucks don't it. You try to define a new to the universe version of lock-in. Problem is everyone else knows and accepts what you are trying to play as new and nefarious. At least you used the term platform this time. I think you fell flat on the upgrade within the platform again though, every viable platform provides an upgrade path. whether you like that path or not weighs on whether you buy into the platform in the first place.

Personally I find nothing in the Android world a significant upgrade compared to an iPhone 4. Spec-whoring can come up with little differences on a phone by phone basis, but overall where's the well executed feature that's an upgrade draw worthy of creating a platform to platform shift. It's not there. And if it's not there, there's no real upgrade. In platform or cross platform.

So trying to create a platform shift scenario with a LARGE paid app investment where no platform shifting motivation exists IS contrived. Especially when you ignore the whole set of reasons people buy into platforms in the first place, which is the platform itself. You keep leaving out all the important stuff to try and make your point and that just constitutes a heap of fail. Kinda like this:

Tell me that you don't get more choice on the platforms I have named. Whether you think that the iphone is better or not is up to you but not everyone agrees with you. I don't even know why I am arguing with you any more since you have already showed your are incapable of responding meaningfully to my posts. I am an Iphone user for god sake, all I was doing is pointing out an example of a disadvantage of the lock in the iPhone has.
post #163 of 188
Quote:

Tell me that you don't get more choice on the platforms I have named. Whether you think that the iphone is better or not is up to you but not everyone agrees with you. I don't even know why I am arguing with you any more since you have already showed your are incapable of responding meaningfully to my posts. I am an Iphone user for god sake, all I was doing is pointing out an example of a disadvantage of the lock in the iPhone has.

Wow, you are really out of responses aren't you? As for Android having more choices, it a depends, but not really. Feature-wise you can get a couple different phones with the same feature set and same software but from different manufacturers. Is that real choice, or just platform parity? I don't see it as real choice when everything is the same.

If you want downmarket with restricted features, you could spin that that gives additional choice, but when the phones are already near free in BOGO deals does going downmarket even make sense? If you want that go with the free for an entire family set of feature phones.

The only real choice you get with non-iPone smartphones is a choice of carriers. No arguing that. As for lock-in once you chose your OS flavor, you are locked in to that, for all phones, no matter what. So I can go from a HTC Android phone this year to a Samgung Android phone in two tears which will have the same features as the two year from now HTC phone. I could cgo from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6 in the same period with the same basic feature upgrades, or I can chose to buy last years model as a slight downmarket move. What choice is lost? Only fake choice, that's what. Either way, I am locked-in to the OS platform, but at least with iOS and the family nature of the app licenses via iTunes I can have the same apps on three phones an IPod Touch and two iPads. That seems like a lot of choice and flexibility of which there is absolutely none like it in any other platform.
post #164 of 188
Quote:

As for lock-in once you chose your OS flavor, you are locked in to that, for all phones, no matter what.

There isn't going to be much of a lock-in --- when most of the apps are free (and funded by ads).
post #165 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

There isn't going to be much of a lock-in --- when most of the apps are free (and funded by ads).

By sheer numbers sure. On the other hand I have about a dozen and a half paid iOS apps between the iPhone/iPod/iPad with the more expensive app tools being on the iPad. Its about $125 worth to date, plus the music in iTunes that has been accruing for a dozen years. All of that works across the whole range of devices, except for a couple of the iPad apps which have a hardware tie to the screen size and wouldn't make sense on the iPhone/Touch. From one side it's lock-in, but it's lock-in I am happy with because of the platform compatibilities. From the other side I have quite a bit of choice as to which device to use for any particular task at any particular location, and which person will be using the device.

Even if almost all my apps were free, I still have data compatibility issues moving to a different platform, so I would need a substantial reason to change platforms and have to expend the effort of moving my data. That's still a form of platform lock-in as is the familiarity with the UI and people make purchase decisions routinely thinking about that kind of stuff as part of the decision.
post #166 of 188
Quote:

Wow, you are really out of responses aren't you? As for Android having more choices, it a depends, but not really. Feature-wise you can get a couple different phones with the same feature set and same software but from different manufacturers. Is that real choice, or just platform parity? I don't see it as real choice when everything is the same.

If you want downmarket with restricted features, you could spin that that gives additional choice, but when the phones are already near free in BOGO deals does going downmarket even make sense? If you want that go with the free for an entire family set of feature phones.

The only real choice you get with non-iPone smartphones is a choice of carriers. No arguing that. As for lock-in once you chose your OS flavor, you are locked in to that, for all phones, no matter what. So I can go from a HTC Android phone this year to a Samgung Android phone in two tears which will have the same features as the two year from now HTC phone. I could cgo from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6 in the same period with the same basic feature upgrades, or I can chose to buy last years model as a slight downmarket move. What choice is lost? Only fake choice, that's what. Either way, I am locked-in to the OS platform, but at least with iOS and the family nature of the app licenses via iTunes I can have the same apps on three phones an IPod Touch and two iPads. That seems like a lot of choice and flexibility of which there is absolutely none like it in any other platform.

Very few would agree with you on this. You're the one that is all out of responses. Go on any android news site, almost every article is about a new phone with a different feature set. We're talking price, screen size, processor speed, hardware keyboard, better gpus, different quality cameras, different integrated services such as htc sense. CHOICE. It is a good thing.

The same argument applies with windows phone 7, show me two devices which as you say are exactly the same but just from different manufacturers. You are full of shit. Bring a worthwhile response to the table because my attention span is getting shorter and shorter with you.

Apps are becoming more and more free and ad supported on android, not iOS as well. Just look at angry birds. Full version free on android.
post #167 of 188
Funny how "my MacBook Pro failed me" has turned into "Android rules iOS sucks", isn't it? I wonder at how these disappointed Apple customers always seem to move quickly to general contempt for everything Apple does-- and why they were Apple customers at all.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #168 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Funny how "my MacBook Pro failed me" has turned into "Android rules iOS sucks", isn't it? I wonder at how these disappointed Apple customers always seem to move quickly to general contempt for everything Apple does-- and why they were Apple customers at all.

I am not disappointed with apple, I just think some of their products have limitations. My macbook pro failing was a personal limitation that made me decide to build a pc instead of another mac. I have not stated "iOS sucks" or that "android rules". I have said iOS has limitations as a platform in terms of choice compared to other platforms - those being windows phone 7 android and blackberry.

This discussion about mobile OSs came from another user asking me to name limitations in the apple eco system, it was not driven by me, I am simply following up on other people's comments.

Everything apple does is so integrated, it is hard to love one thing they do if you have contempt for another....
post #169 of 188
Quote:

Very few would agree with you on this. You're the one that is all out of responses. Go on any android news site, almost every article is about a new phone with a different feature set. We're talking price, screen size, processor speed, hardware keyboard, better gpus, different quality cameras, different integrated services such as htc sense. CHOICE. It is a good thing.

The same argument applies with windows phone 7, show me two devices which as you say are exactly the same but just from different manufacturers. You are full of shit. Bring a worthwhile response to the table because my attention span is getting shorter and shorter with you..

Spec-whoring the finest differences in details isn't an addition of choice, it is just spec-whoring. The prices are all just about the same, the MP's in cameras are all near the 6MP limit for visual noise given the lens sizes, the processors are all in the same GHz band. The GPUs are one of two that do the same thing for the same power draw. HTC Sense isn't a service it's yet another non-standard Android GUI. Maybe you can cobble up a little choice there, but that's awful weak as a it doesn't fundamentally change anything, it just shuffles it around.

Choice is choice, not being fooled into thinking the same thing is different. You'll get that someday.

Quote:
Apps are becoming more and more free and ad supported on android, not iOS as well. Just look at angry birds. Full version free on android.

And you think that's a good thing? You like every application communicating when you hit certain functionalities via an ad pull, and you trust that in a non-curated environment they won't be sending anything that shouldn't be sent? Good luck with that, because nothing's free, you are just selling access to your digital soul a couple bits at a time when you use ad supported apps. I suggest you spend a little more time deciding when that should be accepted, and when karma works in your favor for paying a fair price up front for an app. Nothing wrong with ad supported as a model as long as you are fully aware of what is going on. I often prefer more control so I exercise that as I see necessary.
post #170 of 188
Quote:

Spec-whoring the finest differences in details isn't an addition of choice, it is just spec-whoring. The prices are all just about the same, the MP's in cameras are all near the 6MP limit for visual noise given the lens sizes, the processors are all in the same GHz band. The GPUs are one of two that do the same thing for the same power draw. HTC Sense isn't a service it's yet another non-standard Android GUI. Maybe you can cobble up a little choice there, but that's awful weak as a it doesn't fundamentally change anything, it just shuffles it around.

Choice is choice, not being fooled into thinking the same thing is different. You'll get that someday.

And you think that's a good thing? You like every application communicating when you hit certain functionalities via an ad pull, and you trust that in a non-curated environment they won't be sending anything that shouldn't be sent? Good luck with that, because nothing's free, you are just selling access to your digital soul a couple bits at a time when you use ad supported apps. I suggest you spend a little more time deciding when that should be accepted, and when karma works in your favor for paying a fair price up front for an app. Nothing wrong with ad supported as a model as long as you are fully aware of what is going on. I often prefer more control so I exercise that as I see necessary.

So let's summarise.... You are saying that both the android and windows phone 7 platforms offer no extra choice in handsets compared with the iOS platform. You sir are on another planet.... So blinded by the fanboy inside you.

Do some research, the latest version of HTC sense offers everything mobile me does for FREE
post #171 of 188
That last sentence is so false it doesn't even rate response beyond this.

post #172 of 188
Quote:

Do some research, the latest version of HTC sense offers everything mobile me does for FREE

Please, back up your comment with proof. Links and a list all all features of MobileMe would be great. It would prove your point and show the Apple sheep how foolish they are for paying $60/year for something that is completely free.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #173 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Please, back up your comment with proof. Links and a list all ‘all’ features of MobileMe would be great. It would prove your point and show the Apple sheep how foolish they are for paying $60/year for something that is completely free.

Ok lets have a look, if you allow I will correct myself saying features are offered as part of android or htcsense.com. Since the conversation was regarding phone overlays I am mainly referring to the phone features of mobile me and htc sense, but still I will state the free alternatives offered by htc/google that are not phone specific also.

So any latest htc sense phone offers this.

Mobile me features list from http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/

1. Synced mail, contacts and calendars

2. Find my iPhone

3. Gallery

4. iDisk

5. Me.com

This is answered by:

1. Synced mail, contacts and calendars through gmail. Also across non-google devices via google's microsoft exchange sync. Contacts can also be synced through htcsense.com

2. Find your htc android device, track it, ring it, push a message to it, remote wipe and brick it.

3. Gallery can be answered by flickr, picasa even facebook. Would anyone pay $60 in their right mind for an online photo gallery nowadays anyway?

4. iDisk - You can do more with google docs. Store any format, edit any format on any android or iOS device or any computer.

5. Me.com - functionality given on htcsense.com/google

In addition htcsense.com allows you to send sms, store and read sms regardless of where your device is and regardless of whether you change your device.

So with me.com you are basically paying for a fancy web interface and a webmail service that looks prettier but is not as powerful as gmail. Hell you can even get the google features listed above on your iPhone.

htcsense you see is not just a crappy custom UI as you seem to think.

Also Hiro I notice that you are unable to deny you were talking crap when suggesting that WP7 and android offer no extra choice when compared with iOS. I see you are resorting to cartoon retorts in an attempt to mock me. Grow up and stop spouting shit
post #174 of 188
Quote:

Ok lets have a look, if you allow I will correct myself saying features are offered as part of android or htcsense.com. Since the conversation was regarding phone overlays I am mainly referring to the phone features of mobile me and htc sense, but still I will state the free alternatives offered by htc/google that are not phone specific also.

So any latest htc sense phone offers this.

Mobile me features list from http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/

1. Synced mail, contacts and calendars

2. Find my iPhone

3. Gallery

4. iDisk

5. Me.com

This is answered by:

1. Synced mail, contacts and calendars through gmail. Also across non-google devices via google's microsoft exchange sync. Contacts can also be synced through htcsense.com

2. Find your htc android device, track it, ring it, push a message to it, remote wipe and brick it.

3. Gallery can be answered by flickr, picasa even facebook. Would anyone pay $60 in their right mind for an online photo gallery nowadays anyway?

4. iDisk - You can do more with google docs. Store any format, edit any format on any android or iOS device or any computer.

5. Me.com - functionality given on htcsense.com/google

In addition htcsense.com allows you to send sms, store and read sms regardless of where your device is and regardless of whether you change your device.

So with me.com you are basically paying for a fancy web interface and a webmail service that looks prettier but is not as powerful as gmail. Hell you can even get the google features listed above on your iPhone.

htcsense you see is not just a crappy custom UI as you seem to think.

Also Hiro I notice that you are unable to deny you were talking crap when suggesting that WP7 and android offer no extra choice when compared with iOS. I see you are resorting to cartoon retorts in an attempt to mock me. Grow up and stop spouting shit

It seems like youre missing that Find My iPhone works with all iDevices that run iOS, not just the iPhone.

Youre also missing out on Back to My Mac which allows for zero-congfiguration access across Macs. (I connect to plenty that I dont own with a special user account that I can use to do routine service for family and friends).

Youre also missing all the syncing that MobileMe does between Macs, iDevices and connected PCs running the MobileMe software.

Youre missing all the settings MobileMe backs up to their servers, which includes my keychain, notes, address book and a whole lot more.

Youre also missing push email that works great. (I have been this service since iTools and yet Ive never directly used my .mac email address. Even now my Gmail get forwarded to MobileMe which is pushed to my iPhone and gmail for my SMTP).

Dont underestimate what a convenient and well made user interface is and a single login to access all these features. I have better things to do than maintain a half dozen accounts just to get the same features as I get in MobileMe for ≈$60/year.

If you are just going to cherry pick some features that they have in common, they skirt over the usability of them and down play the usability by implying it only "looks prettier then you are fooling yourself into thinking that the service is as limited as you think it is.
post #175 of 188
Quote:

I do. It works amazingly well. I plug in my camera, photos copy to iPhoto, and I can hit one button and create a web gallery to share with friends and family. Its really well executed, looks great and when I share albums with people they don't have to download any additional apps or plugins. Its a very graceful solution.
post #176 of 188
Quote:

It seems like youre missing that Find My iPhone works with all iDevices that run iOS, not just the iPhone.

Youre also missing out on Back to My Mac which allows for zero-congfiguration access across Macs. (I connect to plenty that I dont own with a special user account that I can use to do routine service for family and friends).

Youre also missing all the syncing that MobileMe does between Macs, iDevices and connected PCs running the MobileMe software.

Youre missing all the settings MobileMe backs up to their servers, which includes my keychain, notes, address book and a whole lot more.

Youre also missing push email that works great. (I have been this service since iTools and yet Ive never directly used my .mac email address. Even now my Gmail get forwarded to MobileMe which is pushed to my iPhone and gmail for my SMTP).

Dont underestimate what a convenient and well made user interface is and a single login to access all these features. I have better things to do than maintain a half dozen accounts just to get the same features as I get in MobileMe for ≈$60/year.

If you are just going to cherry pick some features that they have in common, they skirt over the usability of them and down play the usability by implying it only "looks prettier then you are fooling yourself into thinking that the service is as limited as you think it is.

OK I was just going by what I found on the mobile me features page. I was not aware of these other features.

I did not miss push email though, this is all done through gmail now since you can just use your gmail account as microsoft exchange.

Still, the phone specific features are matched by google and htc sense. The point I am trying to make is that htc sense is not just a pointless overlay, it is added functionality that provides for free a lot of what competitors charge for.
post #177 of 188
Quote:

I did not miss push email though, this is all done through gmail now since you can just use your gmail account as microsoft exchange.

Gmail partially implements Exchange ActiveSync for mobile clients. Microsoft Exchange itself is a bit different.

Your point was correct, just the terminology you used was wrong.
post #178 of 188
Quote:

Let me mock you some more:
Quote:

OK I was just going by what I found on the mobile me features page. I was not aware of these other features.

Typical internet basher. Look something up quickly without understanding it, then use it as a bludgeon in a online venue. But the priceless part is getting it wrong! Wow, wasn't that just something! You do it all by yourself!

Your posts are painting a pretty insecure picture. Your arguments are weak to nonexistent, I've refuted them multiple times. It obviously hasn't made any difference to you, so why give any more visibility to those posts? Wouldn't make sense.

Please continue using foul language and ad hom attacks. I welcome the opportunity to help you find your vacation.

As for the HTC Sense UI being a free replacement for MobileMe, that fails too as solipsism has taken you factually to task. Almost all that functionality is from other 3rd party products, not part of the UI itself, none of it is integrated and Google Docs does not allow you to store arbitrary file data, only Google Docs files.

You give a laundry list of a piecemeal landscape that covers some majority of MobileMe functionality, but is missing the important rest of the picture. Integration and generality and simplification. Those happen to be worth something substantial. Factual inaccuracies like what you are providing are called white-washing or litter box logic. But if that's all you got, that's all you got and it explains a lot.
post #179 of 188
Quote:

Still, the phone specific features are matched by google and htc sense. The point I am trying to make is that htc sense is not just a pointless overlay, it is added functionality that provides for free a lot of what competitors charge for.

You can only use gmail or even exchange for an exchange account if the hardware encryption is turned off for the entire set of users on that Exchange Server. How many IT departments doe that? Almost none. Another software feature that's all but worthless because exactly zero Android handsets have the required hardware.

So calling that a valid push feature is at best uneducated, at worst, disingenuous.
post #180 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

Actually, that's largely a characteristic of the Android market, not the iOS market. It's also likely to be less of a factor for the Windows Phone market. I'm sure you've seen the stats that show how much more willing the typical iOS customer is to pay for quality. The Android market tends towards "good enough", as demonstrated by the almost complete lack of high quality titles exclusive to the platform.

That being the case, it will be much easier for Android customers to switch platforms than the other way around.
post #181 of 188
Quote:

No, it doesn't. It only works with devices that have a GPS chip, that being iPhones and the 3G iPad. It doesn't work with the WiFi iPad or the iPod Touch.
post #182 of 188
Quote:

You can only use gmail or even exchange for an exchange account if the hardware encryption is turned off for the entire set of users on that Exchange Server. How many IT departments doe that? Almost none. Another software feature that's all but worthless because exactly zero Android handsets have the required hardware.

So calling that a valid push feature is at best uneducated, at worst, disingenuous.

Mobile me offers no more encryption options, what are you on about?
post #183 of 188
Quote:

Let me mock you some more:

Typical internet basher. Look something up quickly without understanding it, then use it as a bludgeon in a online venue. But the priceless part is getting it wrong! Wow, wasn't that just something! You do it all by yourself!

Your posts are painting a pretty insecure picture. Your arguments are weak to nonexistent, I've refuted them multiple times. It obviously hasn't made any difference to you, so why give any more visibility to those posts? Wouldn't make sense.

Please continue using foul language and ad hom attacks. I welcome the opportunity to help you find your vacation.

As for the HTC Sense UI being a free replacement for MobileMe, that fails too as solipsism has taken you factually to task. Almost all that functionality is from other 3rd party products, not part of the UI itself, none of it is integrated and Google Docs does not allow you to store arbitrary file data, only Google Docs files.

You give a laundry list of a piecemeal landscape that covers some majority of MobileMe functionality, but is missing the important rest of the picture. Integration and generality and simplification. Those happen to be worth something substantial. Factual inaccuracies like what you are providing are called white-washing or litter box logic. But if that's all you got, that's all you got and it explains a lot.

Another poster has already explained how solopsism is wrong. You have basically cherry picked arguments that you think you can defend and done a very bad job at it. If you look at mobile me the same way as our original argument (iOS locks you in with less choice than other platforms) then it is just another thing apple want to lock you into for a year at least, limiting your choice for a new platform. Subscriptions for a service that is available free elsewhere for the tech savvy is not in the consumer's interest unless they like flashy interfaces and worship jobs like some of you fanboys.
post #184 of 188
Quote:

Another poster has already explained how solopsism is wrong. You have basically cherry picked arguments that you think you can defend and done a very bad job at it. If you look at mobile me the same way as our original argument (iOS locks you in with less choice than other platforms) then it is just another thing apple want to lock you into for a year at least, limiting your choice for a new platform. Subscriptions for a service that is available free elsewhere for the tech savvy is not in the consumer's interest unless they like flashy interfaces and worship jobs like some of you fanboys.

"Worship Jobs like some of you fanboys."

And right there it becomes evident that you actually have no argument at all, no case to make, nothing to say. Pathetic.
post #185 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

No, it doesn't. It only works with devices that have a GPS chip, that being iPhones and the 3G iPad. It doesn't work with the WiFi iPad or the iPod Touch.

Find My iPhone works without GPS, too. It can use the wireless network to gain your location, just like Maps used prior to the iPhone being released with a GPS chip.

There is a potential problem, which is an issue with Apples setup. If you are not on WiFi it wont work unless the device is connected to a known network that requires no password or acceptance page. So, if you have it password protected the person who found/stole your device wont be able to get it on the network, therefore making it impossible for you locate, send a message or wipe. If you do keep it unlocked there is no other security within MobileMe to prevent the user from turning offer Find My iPhone or simply deleting your MobileMe account from the device altogether.

Its a piss poor setup for anything not automatically connected to the carrier which is probably why its called Find My iPhone and not Find My iDevice.
post #186 of 188
Quote:

Find My iPhone works without GPS, too. It can use the wireless network to gain your location, just like Maps used prior to the iPhone being released with a GPS chip.

There is a potential problem, which is an issue with Apples setup. If you are not on WiFi it wont work unless the device is connected to a known network that requires no password or acceptance page. So, if you have it password protected the person who found/stole your device wont be able to get it on the network, therefore making it impossible for you locate, send a message or wipe. If you do keep it unlocked there is no other security within MobileMe to prevent the user from turning offer Find My iPhone or simply deleting your MobileMe account from the device altogether.

Its a piss poor setup for anything not automatically connected to the carrier which is probably why its called Find My iPhone and not Find My iDevice.

Wow, I've just checked, and they've added iPod Touch support. They didn't used to allow you to use FMiP at all with the iPod Touch. Thanks for the tip.
post #187 of 188
So much for DOA.

Galaxy Tab global sales top 600,000 units

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=15628

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

post #188 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

So much for DOA.

Galaxy Tab global sales top 600,000 units

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=15628

That bodes well for RiM and other vendors being able to carve out some profitable niche of this new tablet market* that Apple created, but 600k in 30 countries in a month isn’t much of a challenge to Apple at this point. I don’t expect to see anything really competitive until Android 3.0 gets demoed… and I expect RiM’s PlayBook to outsell the Galaxy Tab in its first month.

* By "new tablet market" I am obviously not stating that tablets never existed before the iPad but that Apple changed the way tablets are done, thus making it new. We only have to look at everyone now using mobile OSes redesigned for tablets to see this is true and, yes, Archos has been making tablet-ish devices for awhile but they were better defined as internet-capable PMPs or handhelds and are now just catching up with Samsung with their 10.1” Android 2.2-based device, which is very well priced at a proposed $300. I look forward to a review of the Archos 101 as I think they are best suited for this new area of consumer computing over others that are jumping in with Android to offer tablets.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review roundup: Samsung's Galaxy Tab, the iPad's first "real" competitor