or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'Hulu for magazines' to debut on Android as publishers struggle with Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Hulu for magazines' to debut on Android as publishers struggle with Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And, of course... If you don't want people to know you are moving -- perhaps you shouldn't be doing it!

Unless you plan to change your name, too.
post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerch View Post

www.google.com

didn't you mean: www.yahoo.com ?

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #83 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it's safe to say Apple and Google are not the same when it comes to privacy. Google are more like FaceBook. Although Apple does use user data, they don't do it like FaceBook and Google do it. Apple is more like: "people who like that app also like this app", or "people who like that music also like this music". Apple never goes to that creepy Google-level. I believe there is a line with this thing that Apple never crosses, and it's because they actually give a shit about your privacy. Google and FaceBook don't, because it's "their whole business model".

Maybe Apple is just better at hiding the 'creepy' factor.
Think about this;
Apple has millions of people's phone numbers, addresses, emails, buying habits, taste's etc...
Apple sees companies like Google making gobs of cash/influence by utilizing said information.
Apple develops iOS that only allows their API's - to protect/control information.
Apple starts iAd
Apple pushes publishers to buy into them having full control over subscriptions/personal info etc...

I would argue that Apple is hiding behind 'privacy' as a PR campaign to win market share and point out some mistakes/weaknesses by Google. (if this thread is any indication, it's working).

Apple is still using our private information for their own gain. It's just done a very good PR job of pointing over to google as a distraction. Thus the comment theme, "Apple is the lesser of the evil's".
Maybe on the surface, but your privacy is still being treated as a commodity by Apple... it's just not as 'in your face' about it.

From what i'm reading, people are starting to accept the fact that their privacy is a commodity - and now focus on which company they would like to broker it.

Life in the information age \
post #84 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Google could careless about privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

the statement "Google couldn't care less about privacy ..." is probably supported by the EULA of the Android OS.


"Google could [be/is] careless about privacy."

and

"Google couldn't care less about privacy..."


Likely, both are correct!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #85 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Zinio is a piece of crap.

I 100% disagree with your assessment. I have been getting all of my magazine subscriptions from zinio for the last three years. The early browsers were a little difficult to use, but the adobe air app for the Mac is excellent and the zinio app for the iPad is the best I have ever seen for reading magazines.....

In fact the zinio app for the iPad is one of the reasons why I decided to go ahead and buy the iPad....

To each his own I guess...
post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Maybe Apple is just better at hiding the 'creepy' factor.
Think about this;
Apple has millions of people's phone numbers, addresses, emails, buying habits, taste's etc...
Apple sees companies like Google making gobs of cash/influence by utilizing said information.
Apple develops iOS that only allows their API's - to protect/control information.
Apple starts iAd
Apple pushes publishers to buy into them having full control over subscriptions/personal info etc...

I would argue that Apple is hiding behind 'privacy' as a PR campaign to win market share and point out some mistakes/weaknesses by Google. (if this thread is any indication, it's working).

Apple is still using our private information for their own gain. It's just done a very good PR job of pointing over to google as a distraction. Thus the comment theme, "Apple is the lesser of the evil's".
Maybe on the surface, but your privacy is still being treated as a commodity by Apple... it's just not as 'in your face' about it.

From what i'm reading, people are starting to accept the fact that their privacy is a commodity - and now focus on which company they would like to broker it.

Life in the information age \

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Talk about throwing stones in a glass house

Seriously? None of your synapses could figure out that Apple wants to keep all of your personal information for themselves? To power their own advertising initiatives? That their entire mobile platform revolves around this control?

Wow dude, talk about epic reading comprehension fail.

Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM, Walmart... no large corporation is looking out for your privacy - just how to exploit it for their own gains.

If you can't read between the lines and see what is really happening (hello, your privacy is a commodity, pick your flavor of who you want to control it)... then you should chill on the ad-hom attacks.

Apple and Google are big brother.


These comments are pure cynicism. They mirror perfectly Google and Facebook's fundamental Business philosophy:
the world we live in is half-empty; why don't we make a buck or two hollowing the resisting half? After all, what are nerdy geeks for?

Apple makes money out of being upfront and reverential towards their customers; they profit from filing up the voids Google and Facebook create in their wake. Why should a thriving business practice have to justify doing what's in their business interest, namely sowing secured, carefree computing experiences and reaping profit, ... and my ever so grateful patronage?

Honesty pays at least as much dividend as trickery. It's not a moral issue, it's a balance sheet issue.
post #87 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

... Apple is still using our private information for their own gain. It's just done a very good PR job of pointing over to google as a distraction. Thus the comment theme, "Apple is the lesser of the evil's".
Maybe on the surface, but your privacy is still being treated as a commodity by Apple... it's just not as 'in your face' about it. ...

And your evidence for this is?

Yes, I think cynical is the perfect word to describe rain's comments here.
post #88 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Maybe Apple is just better at hiding the 'creepy' factor.
Think about this;
Apple has millions of people's phone numbers, addresses, emails, buying habits, taste's etc...
Apple sees companies like Google making gobs of cash/influence by utilizing said information.
Apple develops iOS that only allows their API's - to protect/control information.
Apple starts iAd
Apple pushes publishers to buy into them having full control over subscriptions/personal info etc...

I would argue that Apple is hiding behind 'privacy' as a PR campaign to win market share and point out some mistakes/weaknesses by Google. (if this thread is any indication, it's working).

Apple is still using our private information for their own gain. It's just done a very good PR job of pointing over to google as a distraction. Thus the comment theme, "Apple is the lesser of the evil's".
Maybe on the surface, but your privacy is still being treated as a commodity by Apple... it's just not as 'in your face' about it.

From what i'm reading, people are starting to accept the fact that their privacy is a commodity - and now focus on which company they would like to broker it.

Life in the information age \

The reasons you are wrong are staring in you the face. Apple sells lots and lots of expensive hardware and wants you to buy more. Their software, ecosystem, and privacy concerns (which they have repeatedly shown to take quite seriously) work in conjunction to sell you hardware. Yes, they will make money from other things but if the hardware and ecosystem suck...or if they start playing fast and loose with your privacy, their core business is negatively affected. Did you ever think how they dare charge for a service like mobileme when google and others provide it for free? Surely apple could provide it for free if they wanted to compete with google on an "ads and selling your data" model but they don't. And that's exactly why I am happy to pay for it.

OTOH, Google sells practically nothing but your information. If they can't abuse your private information, they are out of business. Period! And believe me, they are abusing and you ain't seen nothing yet.

The answer is as old as time: Follow the money.
post #89 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I 100% disagree with your assessment. I have been getting all of my magazine subscriptions from zinio for the last three years. The early browsers were a little difficult to use, but the adobe air app for the Mac is excellent and the zinio app for the iPad is the best I have ever seen for reading magazines.....

I agree with your assessment fully and I have to question how old Ireland's experience with Zinio is and whether he ever tried it on the ipad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

In fact the zinio app for the iPad is one of the reasons why I decided to go ahead and buy the iPad....

Zinio for the iPad is the reason why I will be acquiring the second generation iPad. Oh, that and Apple's decision to renege on the draconian wording of clause 3.3.1 in the original iOS 4.0 SDK.
post #90 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And your evidence for this is?

Can you say "Operation Skyhook replacement"?
post #91 of 120
I'm sure all the Chinese workers making Android phones for HTC, Motorola, Samsung, SonyEricsson etc will be pleased with their bonuses...

...what do you mean, Google's "slave labour" in China don't qualify?

Foxconn don't exclusively make Apple products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Google seems to know how to take care of its people. Don't see news like this coming from Apple even though they have record earning. Then again it would be hard to get a bonus to the slave labor in china.

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...-raise-2010-11
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #92 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I actually think Apple recognizes that protecting user privacy, and not (ab)using what user data they do have, is good business. So, while many may think all companies are the same, and will do anything for a buck, they might consider that for some companies, what they will do for that buck is not sell you out, because that makes more money for them in the long run. Not caving to publishers is, I think, part of a broader Apple strategy that has to do with maintaining a certain level of trust with customers.

Well stated.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #93 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

To bad. The Google's and Microsoft's, even the FaceBooks of the
world will surrender to the wills of the slave-masters.
Apple will try holding them off as long as possible.


Good stuff. Please post a whole lot more of this sort of thing.
post #94 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Apple is becoming the Big Brother that they threw the hammer at in 1984.

.

I wish I had a big brother just like Steve. He's great.
post #95 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Zinio is a piece of crap.

Zinio has it's place.
I get a few mags on Zinio, and I have subscribed to a couple of magazines on a dedicated iPad app. There are pros and cons both ways.

The Zinio magazines are mostly straight copies of the print magazines. They sometimes include some links to websites, and they also have the ability to include additional photo galleries and videos.

One of the magazines I get on Zinio includes a paper subscription. I especially like that, as I have the option to read the paper version if I prefer, and I can throw it away, even if I would like to hang on to some of the articles. Before Zinio, magazines would pile up, especially the how-to types that I wanted to retain.

I can read the Zinio magazines on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac. I can delete the files, and download them again anytime from Zinio. And, there is an HTML version available, so I can read my magazines on any computer using a browser. I can even print out some of the pages, although they include a watermark.

The special versions of magazines for the iPad I have sampled had very cool layouts, embedded videos, pictures... generally a good "feel" for use on the iPad. I enjoy reading these on the iPad more than their Zinio cousins, but I can't bring them up on my Cinema Display. That is a little frustrating.

So, Zinio could use a little improvement for use on mobile devices, but it still has versatility in terms of the number of ways it can be viewed, and a large number of available magazines. Personally, I do not want a separate app for every magazine subscription. I currently "subscribe" (ie in-app purchase each month) to two non-Zinio mags on my iPad, and each has its own app.

I would love to see the iBook app become a magazine platform as well. However, I would also like to see Apple adopt some of the practices of Zinio (which would be pretty detrimental to Zinio).
post #96 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Google seems to know how to take care of its people. Don't see news like this coming from Apple even though they have record earning. Then again it would be hard to get a bonus to the slave labor in china.

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...-raise-2010-11

Could just be Google got tired of their underpaid employees being constantly lured away. If google actually manufactured anything, they would be using Chinese factories too. Nice try though, too bad you are very confused.
post #97 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berp View Post

These comments are pure cynicism. They mirror perfectly Google and Facebook's fundamental Business philosophy:
the world we live in is half-empty; why don't we make a buck or two hollowing the resisting half? After all, what are nerdy geeks for?

Apple makes money out of being upfront and reverential towards their customers; they profit from filing up the voids Google and Facebook create in their wake. Why should a thriving business practice have to justify doing what's in their business interest, namely sowing secured, carefree computing experiences and reaping profit, ... and my ever so grateful patronage?

Honesty pays at least as much dividend as trickery. It's not a moral issue, it's a balance sheet issue.

Cynicism, truth, pick your favorite. Doesn't change the fact that Apple is profiting off your personal information. We just happen to prefer Apple's method of exploiting us over Google's.
post #98 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As we've been saying, Zinio isn't very good- on any platform. It's just at the beginning of the era for this, and we're seeing a lot of different approaches. Some are better than others.

I think we need at least a couple more years.

I'll be a contrarian on Zinio. I've found the price to be reasonable and having access to the device on my desktop and iPad is great. On the iPhone, forget it, it's too small.

While it's just a PDF of the magazine it serves its purpose for me:

* I get the content
* price is reasonable
* there are no magazines taking up space in my house

Until the magazine apps get pricing in sync with what they offer at Zinio, I'll stick with Zinio.
post #99 of 120
Lets all participate in completing this sentence in relation to the article;

In my perfect world, Apple would...

... forget about dealing with the large publication houses, and make Pages a kick-ass iPad publication tool with full interactive support. Let the millions of bloggers, journalists, designers, photographers, artists, writers, animators and advertisers - create their own publications. Let the market dictate what publications shine through.

Squeezing publishing houses for control of the very essence of what their business is... is futile and plain dumb.
post #100 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Magazine type content just does not visually work on a small 7" screen and/or a 16:9 aspect. which is where Android tabs are going.

An "Android Tablet" hasn't even been released yet. Just oversized phones.

Android 2.3/3.0 "Gingerbread" should be out by early 2011. This new version will actually support tablets, so you will see screens >7".

Hopefully they settle on a couple of different screen sizes and resolutions.
post #101 of 120
This was a thread about mobile platforms and the publishing industry... Until extremeskater tried to subvert it by talking about Google guys getting a fucking bonus and working conditions in China


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


But this vitriol against any company other than Apple here is getting bizarre...

My personal vitriol is mostly directed towards the guys that constantly seem to hijack threads.
post #102 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by habermas View Post

Can you say "Operation Skyhook replacement"?

Try again.
post #103 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Cynicism, truth, pick your favorite. Doesn't change the fact that Apple is profiting off your personal information. We just happen to prefer Apple's method of exploiting us over Google's.

Well, I think we all agreed that it was definitely cynicism and that you hadn't established any of the wild assertions you made, nor these.
post #104 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Too bad you are stupid enough to think a company has to manufacture something to make money, nice try but clearly you are the one that is confused.

Too bad you didn't understand his point.
post #105 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The point was that avoiding being tracked by Google is not as simple as just not actively using their search engine and other services.

Google do at least tell you how to opt out.

http://www.google.com/ads/preference.../browsers.html

The really scary ones are the smaller companies. Google gets lots of media attention so has to be careful, but the smaller players fly under the radar and therefore get away with much worse.
post #106 of 120
There are plenty Apps that are only useful to subscribers of that service (Netflix, Hulu, and the Wall Street Journal to name a few). I don't get why these magazines don't just make free applications that only have content for subscribers. They can even make a special online only subscription for those that don't want the print version.
post #107 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Try again.

Don't post if you're not adding to the discussion. Here's a hint: A position is normally supported by arguments and evidence.
post #108 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

I'll be a contrarian on Zinio. I've found the price to be reasonable and having access to the device on my desktop and iPad is great. On the iPhone, forget it, it's too small.

I agree with ltcompuser on the merits of the Zinio offering. Also, having the knowledge that I can retain my subscription content even if I decide to replace my mobile platform gives me great comfort that my money hasn't been wasted on native iPad magasines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

While it's just a PDF of the magazine it serves its purpose for me:

Likewise - also I'd like to point out that the magasines served through the Zinio reader include a clickable table of contents and also give you the possibility of having the text of the article displayed in a WriteRoom-like fashion (i.e. without pictures, layout and formatting), which gives you the best of both worlds: The ability to enjoy the photos with the clarity of easily readable high contrast text.
post #109 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

Lets all participate in completing this sentence in relation to the article;

In my perfect world, Apple would...

... forget about dealing with the large publication houses, and make Pages a kick-ass iPad publication tool with full interactive support. Let the millions of bloggers, journalists, designers, photographers, artists, writers, animators and advertisers - create their own publications. Let the market dictate what publications shine through.

Squeezing publishing houses for control of the very essence of what their business is... is futile and plain dumb.

Best solution to "The Problem" posted 'til now!

Go one step further, and include a new version of iWeb to create HTML5 compliant web-apps and sites, and let the creatives go at it!

No one other single group has stoked the flames of the digital revolution more than individual creatives, and the arts in general. Since Postscript and Midi hit the scene 20+ years ago, we've been doing the "envelope pushing" with the tools available, and our pocketbooks.

We are begging at the moment for better tools, since Adobe won the "Creative Software War". A bloated behemoth which is reflected in their software, and is more concerned with jumping in the sack with the other "Big Mamas" of publishing, rather than enabling the independent and small creatives who supported them and put them on their pedestal in the first place.

Would love to see Apple pick up this fight for real, rather than just poke at Adobe continuously. Quit jabbin' and go for the KO already (TKO would be better i s'pose

Do it with user-friendly tools and alternatives to what's out there. Make it fun again, like everything else SJ expounds and professes in Apple's products. "Magical" comes to mind even....
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Reply
post #110 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by habermas View Post

Don't post if you're not adding to the discussion. Here's a hint: A position is normally supported by arguments and evidence.

I reply with the arguments and evidence a post deserves. If it deserves none, it gets none.
post #111 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

OTOH, Google sells practically nothing but your information. If they can't abuse your private information, they are out of business. Period! And believe me, they are abusing and you ain't seen nothing yet.

Where is YOUR proof? Honestly, if you're just going to overlook the huge mound of data that Apple has been able to start collecting about users since the launch of iTunes, then where is your proof that Google is "abusing" my personal information?
post #112 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Where is YOUR proof? Honestly, if you're just going to overlook the huge mound of data that Apple has been able to start collecting about users since the launch of iTunes, then where is your proof that Google is "abusing" my personal information?

Seriously, as has been pointed out over and over, Google's entire business model is built on collecting and exploiting personal information. All of their products are designed with the goal of collecting as much of that as possible. Without that, they have nothing to generate revenue from. Apple on the other hand, generates revenue from hardware sales, and all of their services are designed to promote that. Without exploiting your personal information for profit, including sharing it with 3rd-parties, Google is out of business, Apple has no need to do so. To the contrary, Apple has every reason to treat your personal information as confidential data, and keep it out of the hands of 3rd-parties, otherwise they lose the trust of their customers, which is worth more to them than the data.

This whole disagreement with publishers highlights the fact that Apple is not selling or giving away the information they have, so it's ridiculous to imply that they are. Anyone who does so deserves nothing but scorn.
post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

An "Android Tablet" hasn't even been released yet. Just oversized phones.

Android 2.3/3.0 "Gingerbread" should be out by early 2011. This new version will actually support tablets, so you will see screens >7".

Hopefully they settle on a couple of different screen sizes and resolutions.



This seems insightful to me.

We may likely forget all about these current devices in the near future, unless they do a good job with Gingerbread.

And you predict that the release of Gingerbread will spur the release of better tablets. I hope that you are correct.

Do you think that anything under current release will have difficulty updating to or running Gingerbread? Or will they all just get updated when the new version is available?
post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post


This was a thread ...

extremeskater tried to subvert it ...

Google guys getting a fucking bonus ...

working conditions in China ...




My personal vitriol ...

guys that constantly seem to hijack threads ...



.



Physician, heal thyself.
post #115 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by habermas View Post

Don't post if you're not adding to the discussion. Here's a hint: A position is normally supported by arguments and evidence.

Yes, but in certain cases, the position has risen to the level of being a shibboleth. In those cases, arguments and evidence should be avoided at all costs, because they tend to disprove the shibboleth.

In the case of popular shibboleths, their truthiness speaks for itself. Arguments and/or evidence just get in the way.
post #116 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

The reasons you are wrong are staring in you the face. Apple sells lots and lots of expensive hardware and wants you to buy more. Their software, ecosystem, and privacy concerns (which they have repeatedly shown to take quite seriously) work in conjunction to sell you hardware. Yes, they will make money from other things but if the hardware and ecosystem suck...or if they start playing fast and loose with your privacy, their core business is negatively affected. Did you ever think how they dare charge for a service like mobileme when google and others provide it for free? Surely apple could provide it for free if they wanted to compete with google on an "ads and selling your data" model but they don't. And that's exactly why I am happy to pay for it.

OTOH, Google sells practically nothing but your information. If they can't abuse your private information, they are out of business. Period! And believe me, they are abusing and you ain't seen nothing yet.

The answer is as old as time: Follow the money.

Interesting read:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/col...he-Product.htm

Quote:
There's only one way to understand Google's business model, which is to understand that Google's services are not products. In fact, Google has only one product. And that product is you.

and

Quote:
Who's Google's customer? You? Really? When's the last time you paid Google for anything?

and

Quote:
Advertisers are Google's customer. What do they sell to advertisers? They sell you. Or, at least, they rent you out, or provide access to you.

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #117 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

And you predict that the release of Gingerbread will spur the release of better tablets.

I'd bet my house on it. The current crop of Android "tablets" are running a phone OS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Do you think that anything under current release will have difficulty updating to or running Gingerbread? Or will they all just get updated when the new version is available?

Based on existing phones it's safe to say that not all current 7" tablets will be upgraded.

The bigger concern is whether the 7" form factor will stick once Gingerbread allows for larger screens and higher resolutions.

Gingerbread will certainly allow for a 7" screen, but if it isn't a popular standard there are no guarantees about the developer support it will receive.
post #118 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I'd bet my house on it. The current crop of Android "tablets" are running a phone OS.



Based on existing phones it's safe to say that not all current 7" tablets will be upgraded.

The bigger concern is whether the 7" form factor will stick once Gingerbread allows for larger screens and higher resolutions.

Gingerbread will certainly allow for a 7" screen, but if it isn't a popular standard there are no guarantees about the developer support it will receive.

The reason the initial batch of Android based tablets (as well as the RIM Playbook) are using 7" screens is that they can't afford to come close to competing with Apple on price if they make a 10" tablet. Gingerbread, which may make a better tablet OS (yet to be determined), isn't going to magically change that fact.
post #119 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The reason the initial batch of Android based tablets (as well as the RIM Playbook) are using 7" screens is that they can't afford to come close to competing with Apple on price if they make a 10" tablet. Gingerbread, which may make a better tablet OS (yet to be determined), isn't going to magically change that fact.

Of course it will! (It's not magic though )

With the iPads screen the Galaxy would cost $252 to manufacture ($12 less than the iPad).

Of course Samsung don't have access to the same screen pricing as Apple because they aren't playing with anywhere near the economies of scale that Apple are.

I've got a feeling that something might be coming out soon that increases demand for Android devices with larger screens and higher standardized resolutions...
post #120 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I reply with the arguments and evidence a post deserves. If it deserves none, it gets none.

Well screw you too, buddy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • 'Hulu for magazines' to debut on Android as publishers struggle with Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'Hulu for magazines' to debut on Android as publishers struggle with Apple