or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › UK Tory Calls for Stoning

UK Tory Calls for Stoning

post #1 of 4
Actually the title is an homage to some of the posters here who twist phrases out of context, distort them out of context and then defend the end result!

So first let me say: I DON"T CLAIM THIS GUY CALLED FOR STONING (inevitably there will be those who in the spirit of the opening paragraph repeat ad nauseum that I do - let's ignore them)

What he did do is in some ways worse. Here's the back-story:

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown is a Muslim journalist and left-wing advocate of human rights.

It's a heady cocktail...a woman, a Muslim...wanting justice..

It annoys some people.

It especially annoys Right-wingers. It makes them foam at the mouth (why that should be can be the subject of another thread or one could ask conspicuous individuals hereabouts perhaps).

It makes them violent and aggressive.

Anyway, one of these right-wingers - Tory councillor Gareth Compton (note that... a Tory Public servant high on the council) was so enraged he was moved to tweet the following:

Quote:
"Can someone please stone Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to death? I shan't tell Amnesty if you don't. It would be a blessing, really,"

So - some points arise for us to discuss ::

1) What is it about Right-wing politicians and these kind of remarks? I honestly do not know of any Left-wing equivalents....a Left-wing POLITICIAN calling for the murder of Bush say? Not out there...

2) What would make ANYONE tweet such a thing? Why? Why do the Right hate women, Muslims and Human Rights so much?

3) Is this the famous 'free speech' that people apparently 'give their lives to defend'? It's great! Wow!

4) What would happen if this was a Muslim calling for stoning of - say - a Right-wing politician?

Well...we all know the answer to the last one at least.

LInk
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #2 of 4
He's been arrested now.

At least something good's happening!
post #3 of 4
A link might of helped.

Although I read the BBC news, generally I don't follow UK news.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #4 of 4
In a related issue this developing news is interesting.

Basically, Paul Chambers got pissed off with delays at an airport and tweeted the following:

Quote:
''Crap! Robin Hood Airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your shit together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!

He was arrested under Terror Legislation and was found guilty of sending a menacing electronic communication (Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003).

Ridiculous abuse of Terror Laws but then again, that's who they're aimed at: the populace.

Anyway, now Twitterers are rising to his defence as his appeal has been rejected and they are all posting the same thing in an "I am Spartacus" campaign.

Quote:
Thousands of people have posted to Twitter 'threats' to blow up Doncaster's Robin Hood airport, in a campaign to satirise a judge's decision that the original such Twitter message was genuinely menacing.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › UK Tory Calls for Stoning