or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nvidia CEO: upcoming Android tablets will be 'magical' like Apple's iPad

Nvidia CEO: upcoming Android tablets will be 'magical' like Apple's iPad

post #1 of 52
Nvidia's chief executive this week took a page out of Apple's marketing playbook, saying that upcoming Android powered tablets with his company's processors inside will be "magical" just like the iPad.

In his company's earnings call this week, Jen-Hsun Huang admitted that the rest of the market is behind Apple's iPad. But, as ZDNet noted, he also said he believes big things are coming with devices running Nvidia's Tegra mobile processing chips.

"Although they're a little behind, the work that Google and Andy Rubin's team is doing at Google is just really amazing," he said this week. "I mean, this is clearly a world-class engineering team, And they're building a magical product."

Huang did praise Apple and its success with the iPad and the iPhone, calling both "amazing devices." He also said it would take products that are "truly remarkable" to compete with Apple.

"I think Andy and his team, and all of our engineers here working with them, and all of our partners around the world working on it, are going to absolutely deliver," he said.

Huang went on to use the word "magical" a second time when referring to future Android tablets, noting that building a viable competitor to the iPad takes time. The word "magical" has been used frequently by Apple in promotional materials for the iPad, and also repeated by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs to describe the 9.7-inch touchscreen tablet.

Huang also echoed Apple with other comments he made this week about tablets and the future of computing. Nvidia's CEO said he believes tablet-style devices will eventually replace devices like notebook computers for most day-to-day computing.

"Although we're a little bit late, the market potential is so huge, and this is the future of computing," he said. "This is the second device into the future of computing."

His comments echo those made by Jobs in June, when he said in an interview that tablet-style devices will make traditional computers less necessary. He compared the "uncomfortable" migration to tablets to the U.S. automobile industry, when most vehicles were trucks because they were driven by farmers. PCs, Jobs believes, will be like trucks -- they will still be needed and used, but will represent just a portion of the market.
post #2 of 52
David Copperfield is on their dev team. He's gonna make the iPad disappear.

;-)
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

His comments echo those made by Jobs in June, when he said in an interview that tablet-style devices will make traditional computers less necessary. He compared the "uncomfortable" migration to tablets to the U.S> automobile industry, when most vehicles were trucks because they were driven by farmers. PCs, Jobs believes, will be like trucks -- they will still be needed and used, but will represent just a portion of the market.

Real men dig trucks.

I wonder what Vince Vaughn/Ron Howard would have to say about the iPad? Are they 'magical fairy machines' like electric cars?
post #4 of 52
I can see it now, Maestro Huang's Magic Act...

Maestro Huang says, "Ladies and Germs, the beautiful assistant will step into the magic sales booth. I will now close the curtain and say the magic words..." "Android with Nvidia Inside, Bummmmm, Bum, Bum, Bum, Bmmmm" (apparently he likes to 'borrow' from Intel as well), back to the magic words... "Buy One, Get One Free, don't Focus on the Hoax-us!"... POOF (that's the sound of the fried Nvidia graphics chip of the Android tablet's motherboard) as a cloud of smoke rises in front of the magic sales booth, Maestro Huang says "I will now open the curtain and reveal, er reveal, uh, reveal..." quietly says to assistant, 'You're supposed to disappear!' To which she replied, 'Just like your 7" tablets... Not enough magic in the world. Not gonna happen. Get used to it!'

Nvidia CEO and all the other Jen-Hsun Huang's out there, this ones for you...

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose
If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues
Just go and listen it'll start with a smile
It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try
Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find
How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me
We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me
And maybe, if the music is right
I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night
And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see
How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer
[Fade]

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Real men dig trucks.

Eh, fuck that. I grew up in a farming community and there were lots of trucks around. We weren't, so biggest thing we ever had was a station wagon. I have a minivan since I have 2 kids. I'm not going to buy a truck just b/c it's a truck. If I needed the hauling capacity on a regular basis, maybe, but no reason to have awful gas mileage just to say I have a truck. That's dumb
post #6 of 52
Of course not. It will be a slightly different beast and some will like it better.
post #7 of 52
Ouch... A Good way for NVIDIA to enhance their place as a major vendor to Apple NOT. Hello AMD?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Maestro Huang says, "Ladies and Germs, the beautiful assistant will step into the magic sales booth. I will now close the curtain and say the magic words..." "Android with Nvidia Inside, Bummmmm, Bum, Bum, Bum, Bmmmm" (apparently he likes to 'borrow' from Intel as well), back to the magic words... "Buy One, Get One Free, don't Focus on the Hoax-us!"... POOF (that's the sound of the fried Nvidia graphics chip of the Android tablet's motherboard) as a cloud of smoke rises in front of the magic sales booth, Maestro Huang says "I will now open the curtain and reveal, er reveal, uh, reveal..." quietly says to assistant, 'You're supposed to disappear!' To which she replied, 'Just like your 7" tablets... Not enough magic in the world. Not gonna happen. Get used to it!'

Ohh, talking 'bout magic

[Fade]

I think you have to be over 55 to get this post, but it brings back lots of memories.
post #9 of 52
I still find it fascinating how badly Microsoft screwed up not being exactly where Google is now, i.e. the ones, yet again, supplying a generic OS to everyone with the ability to build a box (other than Apple that is).
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #10 of 52
I always wondered what a dinosaur would say if it could talk, thanks for helping me out.
post #11 of 52
magical JUST LIKE the iPad???
I think you've gotta build a thing that differs iPad to make it truly magical instead of coming out something JUST LIKE the iPad.
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Of course not. It will be a slightly different beast and some will like it better.

Once you define the device, there's only so many ways you can put a 9" screen into a handheld thing. The real question will be how Android 3.x's user interface tools deal with the extra screen real estate. And how well that competes with iOS 5.x, which will probably come out around the same time.
post #13 of 52
Magical? Hardly. The iPad is magical because it doens't FEEL like a computer is inside. It's your content there for the taking. Android, while it does a lot of the same things as iOS reminds you painfully every step of the way that it's an operating system on top of a computer. They still don't completely 'get it' like Apple does.
post #14 of 52
I have no doubts that some Android driven tablets are going to appear in the market that awill be great product. But I'd actually like to finally see one rather than hear yet another executive brag about something that has not launched.

What I find amazing (even "magical") is that Apple will seemingly have the Christmas shopping season to themselves -- I never thought that would happen when they launched their tablet in April. (And obviously I don't consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab true competition for the iPad. At 7 inches it is a different segment.)

By the way, I don't find my iPad "magical". I actually think of it as a workhorse -- a device that can an almost endless number of things quickly and efficiently.
post #15 of 52
first they copy the iPad then copy the sales pitch, the world is full of bores
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Real men dig trucks...

In my experience, if the guy isn't a farmer/logger or has some other kind of actual need for the truck (and let's face it, this is only a small fraction of truck owners), then he's usually an *sshole. The bigger the truck, the bigger the *sshole.

So if "real man" = "*sshole" then I guess I agree with you, but otherwise not.
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

In my experience, if the guy isn't a farmer/logger or has some other kind of actual need for the truck (and let's face it, this is only a small fraction of truck owners), then he's usually an *sshole. The bigger the truck, the bigger the *sshole.

So if "real man" = "*sshole" then I guess I agree with you, but otherwise not.

I'm guessing your live in a major urban center (perhaps San Fransisco?) and not out in the 'burbs or, heaven forbid, a rural area?
post #18 of 52
remember when version 1.0 android tabled comes out apple will be like version 2.5 ipad.
Of course they would try to make Android talblet 1.0 looks like ipad2.5

but they would fail
post #19 of 52
I wish everybody would just stop this whole "magical" nonsense. It's like everybody has gone to Disneyland. Have these people lost their minds? It's a freaking computer. No pixie dust involved.
post #20 of 52
they thought of it a very late second!
post #21 of 52
Man, Jobs and Apple have really gotten into these guy's heads haven't they. Has there ever been a CEO or company that has affected the brains of otherwise sane corporate leaders and turned them into mush like Jobs and Apple have. Even Ballmer talks jibberish when it comes to Jobs and Apple.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbean_mac View Post

remember when version 1.0 android tabled comes out apple will be like version 2.5 ipad.
Of course they would try to make Android talblet 1.0 looks like ipad2.5

but they would fail

Remember that development iterations are much faster on Android's side. I'd bet that the next few revisions of Android tablets will come all within 2011. I think that definitely by next year's end, we'll have reached the same point Android smartphones are at in comparison to the iPhone now.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by malax View Post

I'm guessing your live in a major urban center (perhaps San Fransisco?) and not out in the 'burbs or, heaven forbid, a rural area?

That would be another good example. Living in the north where 4WD will be extremely nice in the winter. I know a lot of people who own trucks and SUVs tho that never make use of the extra towing or storage and they always seem to fall back to "manly" references if questioned.
post #24 of 52
It's funny how much Huang is imitating Jobs. I saw his keynote at their dev conference recently and it could have been Jobs delivering that presentation. Exact same style down to little details in how he pauses and repeats certain phrases.
post #25 of 52
Problem is, this 'magical' device still has to get manufactured. That's where nobody, but nobody, can go toe-to-toe with Apple. It's why all these copycats will come up just a little bit short, and it's why most people insist on 'the original' (whatever the product is).
post #26 of 52
In Silicon Valley.... Jen-Hsun Huang principle reason for living is to blow smoke up the ass of Jen-Hsun Huang!
post #27 of 52
"Just like the iPad"...you know..."me too"! Are there no other innovators left in the computer/consumer electronics world other than Apple?
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Ohh, talking 'bout magic

[Fade]

Your a nutter, but a funny one at that .
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #29 of 52
He is just saying that because his company got a deal to supply Fusion chips to Apple.
post #30 of 52
It'll be a copy not magical. It's already been said here that it needs to be totally different to be magical.

Can you imagine how many years SJ has obsessed over the iPad. Whipping his engineers into a frenzy during unearthly hours in the lab only to change his mind as the sun rises. He probably had lots of different iterations of the device in his head and is probably still not happy with it.

This is why the iPad is arguably the best product ever from Apple IMO. You can't just copy something like this.
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I wish everybody would just stop this whole "magical" nonsense. It's like everybody has gone to Disneyland. Have these people lost their minds? It's a freaking computer. No pixie dust involved.

I agree, but I know people who own iPads, none tech minded, who never stop talking about how good it is. I've seen similar behaviour with the iPhone. You have to admit it is pretty special.
post #32 of 52
Just imagine what Apple will come up with for them to copy next year!
post #33 of 52
Just two points. 1) It's easy to call an invisible device "magical." 2) It's easier to copy a great product than to invent one.
post #34 of 52
Magical and Android? No way! Android turns any device into geeky device. You will spend most of your time to customize/hack Android device rather than use it for productive use.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #35 of 52
If you read the actual article, he actually seems quite switched on and on the ball.

Quote:
We’re going to start building into our phone and tablet design wins. And although they’re a little bit behind, the work that Google and Andy Rubin’s team is doing at Google is just really amazing. I mean, this is clearly a world-class engineering team. And they’re building a magical product. So I’m looking forward to the next generation of Android phones and tablets that are coming out. And I think it’s going to really, really surprise people and delight consumers everywhere. And so although it’s a little bit behind, I think it’s going to be completely fabulous. Now it’s going to take something absolutely great to compete against the iPad and the iPhone, as we all know. Because both of those devices are quite amazing devices. And so it’s going to take something that is truly remarkable to compete against it. And I think Andy and his team, and all of our engineers here working with them, and all of our partners around the world working on it, are going to absolutely deliver. And so that’s the second thing.

Quote:
We know at this point that the projects that we’re working on, particularly in the tablets, has taken longer than we expected. And it’s taken longer than we expected by a few months. But the important thing is that you can’t just build a tablet. You can’t just put an operating system on a tablet and hope that — on a piece of glass and hope that you’re going to compete against the iPad. The iPad is a wonderful product. And if you’re going to give that wonderful product a run for its money, you better build something absolutely exquisite. And so whether it’s the quality of the work of the craftsmanship that our teams are working on, or the capabilities of these devices, they have to be absolutely ground-breaking or why would anybody come to buy them? So I think that the extra time that was necessary to build these devices, and build the operating system and all the applications and the system software necessary to do it — and obviously, we’re not going to talk about what they are right now, but they’re going to be absolutely magical. And so I think that that’s the important thing to realize. And I think that although we’re a little bit late, the market potential is so huge, and this is the future of computing. This is the second device into the future of computing.

Competition is good, so I'm looking forward to what the ground up tablet version of Android (Honeycomb) has to offer when it's released in January.
post #36 of 52
Payback for Apple dumping nvidia from their desktop Macs.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

first they copy the iPad then copy the sales pitch, the world is full of bores

I think the correct word here is whores, not bores! Amazing how these clowns can't figure out how to innovate on their own, then all of a sudden someone blows the market away and all they can do is try to copy instead of come out with their own innovations. In fact, they should be embarrassed by their lack of innovation. (You have a company like MSFT that spends well over $3BILLION a year on R&D and what do they have to show for it? Xbox? Oh yeah, they've lost Billions of dollars on it but they hold it up as a success.) Pathetic actually.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Remember that development iterations are much faster on Android's side. I'd bet that the next few revisions of Android tablets will come all within 2011. I think that definitely by next year's end, we'll have reached the same point Android smartphones are at in comparison to the iPhone now.

So you're saying that's an advantage? Laughable. What it means is that all the suckers that buy one today already have obsolete devices, as will those that buy one tomorrow. Its not just about the OS, its about the hardware as well. Suckers are born every minute. The clowns out there talk like Android is a device, and its far from it. There are hundreds of software and hardware iterations out there for android, with more being added every day, not some unified ecosystem.
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Nvidia's chief executive this week took a page out of Apple's marketing playbook, saying that upcoming Android powered tablets with his company's processors inside will be "magical" just like the iPad.

But not better than the iPad? So they are simply trying to get up to the level of the market leader and not surpass them? Way to aim high…
Quote:
Huang went on to use the word "magical" a second time when referring to future Android tablets, noting that building a viable competitor to the iPad takes time.

Haven't they had years, the same as Apple?
Rather than trying to leap ahead, they are just going to (try to) play keep up after the fact?
"We wait until someone releases a good product then we will try to match it"...

"We will boldly go where Apple has gone before!" sounds like a great strategy and is sure to pull in investors...
post #40 of 52
Envydia
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Nvidia CEO: upcoming Android tablets will be 'magical' like Apple's iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Nvidia CEO: upcoming Android tablets will be 'magical' like Apple's iPad