or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 10.1 with support for iOS 4.2, AirPlay

Apple releases iTunes 10.1 with support for iOS 4.2, AirPlay

post #1 of 52
Apple on Friday released iTunes 10.1, the latest version of its media playing software, which users will need to install the forthcoming iOS 4.2 update for the iPhone and iPad.

iTunes 10.1 is available for both Mac and Windows via software update or direct from Apple. It weighs in at 90.63 MB for Mac, 78.10 MB for 32-bit Windows, and 78.98 MB for 64-bit Windows.

Features in the new version of iTunes, according to Apple, include:
Use AirPlay to instantly and wirelessly stream videos from iTunes to the all-new Apple TV.
Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 4.2.
Provides a number of important stability and performance improvements.
The update makes no mention of AirPrint, Apple's forthcoming wireless printing standard for iOS devices. For Windows users, iTunes 10.1 was supposed to enable sharing of printers to devices like the iPhone and iPad.

But this week, reports began to surface that Apple would be cutting features from AirPrint, specifically the ability to print to a shared printer. Support for ePrint-enabled devices will remain when iOS 4.2 is released.

Windows users aren't the only ones who will miss out on shared printer support. On Wednesday, Apple released Mac OS X 10.6.5 also without the functionality, which was apparently pulled at the last minute. Some, however, have found a workaround to reenable printer sharing in the latest update to Snow Leopard.
post #2 of 52
Am I the only one who would like to have the ability to suppress Ping and Genius so they disappear and do not eat up valuable screen real estate?
SkyKing
SkyKing
post #3 of 52
So now we have part 2 of 3. Now if they can get iOS4.2 out the door, my iPad will be very greatful!
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Am I the only one who would like to have the ability to suppress Ping and Genius so they disappear and do not eat up valuable screen real estate?

I agree completely!!
post #5 of 52
Quote:

No, you're not.
post #6 of 52
Quote:

You are not alone, I am here with you. Though we're far apart, this issue is dear to my heart.

With apologies to the late MJ.
post #7 of 52
I see a new Apple TV thingy at the bottom right of the iTunes window, but when I play a movie the option goes away. Maybe I need an AppleTV update now?
post #8 of 52
Quote:

You can now do that in the app settings.
post #9 of 52
Quote:

Yes, i don't have them displayed so yes, you are the only one as far as I know
post #10 of 52
I think we need to start a pool.....when is Apple going to replace iTunes with something new....call it iSync or something. iPhones and iPads need iTunes for syncing, and if we're now going to have print-sharing features....it's grown way beyond Tunes and needs to be a dedicated server/sync'er program. Of which iTunes would be a part.
post #11 of 52
So can other third party apps add AirPlay on Mac now, just like iOS?! No more need for Airfoil then!
post #12 of 52
Quote:

There is already functionality to do that. Just turn in off in the preferences.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #13 of 52
Quote:

post #14 of 52
weighs 55mb for me the update file.
post #15 of 52
Quote:

You can disable Ping now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

I see a new Apple TV thingy at the bottom right of the iTunes window, but when I play a movie the option goes away. Maybe I need an AppleTV update now?

Yes.
post #16 of 52
Despite hopes that the 3 CUPS files needed to bring shared printer support would be part of iTunes 10.1, that is NOT the case.

Before installing iTunes 10.1, I rolled back the 3 associated CUPS files to their OS-X 10.6.5 status, and removed my shared printer and rebooted.

I then installed iTunes 10.1 and checked in the appropriate directories to see if the files might have been part of the iTunes upgrade, but NO SUCH LUCK (same dates and sizes as in OS-X 10.6.5 for the 2 files in the mime folder and the urftopdf filter not added)

Just for grins, I added my shared printer back in and to verified that my IP4 was unable to see any printers (no printer found).

I then deleted my shared printer, overlaid the 3 CUPS files, rebooted my MBP, added my shared printer back and voila, my IP4 found my shared printer.

Now that we have the 2 OS-X pieces as released software, it does indeed seem that shared printing is NOT part of the this go around. But it is great to know that at least adding in the associated CUPS files brings shared printing live.
post #17 of 52
A new GM 4.2 for iPad just got released. They added a b to 8C134 for the iPad only. I wouldn't count on a 4.2 release until late next week.
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I think we need to start a pool.....when is Apple going to replace iTunes with something new....call it iSync or something. iPhones and iPads need iTunes for syncing, and if we're now going to have print-sharing features....it's grown way beyond Tunes and needs to be a dedicated server/sync'er program. Of which iTunes would be a part.

Well I don't know if it needs to be split up, but it would be nice to have subapplications to iTunes. You could have one called iTunes Jukebox if you just wanted to play music on your computer, and iTunes Sinc if you just wanted to sinc one of your iPod or iOS devices. However you would still have the option of opening up iTunes if you want or need to have the full functionality of iTunes.
post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

Despite hopes that the 3 CUPS files needed to bring shared printer support would be part of iTunes 10.1, that is NOT the case.

Not surprised as apple released that as part of a OSX build in the past and not part of iTunes.
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

A new GM 4.2 for iPad just got released. They added a b to 8C134 for the iPad only. I wouldn't count on a 4.2 release until late next week.

I want to test if the WiFi bug is fixed. Downloading now.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
GIGO. The truth in all of life.
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Never realized you could hide some of that stuff. But I only use iTunes occasionally, so I never looked too deeply into it's menus and options. I might go ahead and Hide some of that stuff next time I open it up.
post #22 of 52
Forgive me if this comes off as sound stupid, but cant we already stream video and audio from our iTunes to Apple TV via the "Computers" section within the Apple TV main screen? It works for me just fine, and any video, tv show or music file i have in my iTunes library streams just fine?
post #23 of 52
"Windows users... will miss out on shared printer support."

No upgrade for you! Come back, One Year! Next!!
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslacker View Post

Forgive me if this comes off as sound stupid, but cant we already stream video and audio from our iTunes to Apple TV via the "Computers" section within the Apple TV main screen? It works for me just fine, and any video, tv show or music file i have in my iTunes library streams just fine?

Sure the computer could stream to aTV before this release but now with AirPlay you can send the audio (soon video too) from your iDevice to aTV by clicking the AirPlay/AirPrint icon on your iDevice. Also proposed are AirPlay third party products such as wireless speakers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 52
OK, after preemptively copping to probable pilot error, I'm not seeing an AirPlay button anywhere on my iTunes 10.1 window (and I do have an AppleTV 2).
What am I missing?
post #26 of 52
I just updated tho 10.1 on my PC with Win 7 and now ITunes doesnt see my iPad.
post #27 of 52
Icon is in the lower right corner of the iTunes window: here's the popup shown:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

OK, after preemptively copping to probable pilot error, I'm not seeing an AirPlay button anywhere on my iTunes 10.1 window (and I do have an AppleTV 2).
What am I missing?
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure the computer could stream to aTV before this release but now with AirPlay you can send the audio (soon video too) from your iDevice to aTV by clicking the AirPlay/AirPrint icon on your iDevice. Also proposed are AirPlay third party products such as wireless speakers.

Am I the only one who does not see Airplay as a great feature for the iPad? I can see how it would be nice on the iphone, because I record HD video, and won't need to sync it with my Mac to be able to watch the video on the TV.

I don't see what the point would be on the iPad. What I REALLY want, would be the ability to stream iTunes protected content from my Mac to my iPad. Why has this feature not been added? \
post #29 of 52
Thank god they put a ping kill switch in this version. It was extremely annoying. I finally found a command line to kill it, but it is nice to be gone for good.....

Now if we can just get a kill switch for the gapless play back calculation that goes nuts with a library on a NAS drive we will be good to go....
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Icon is in the lower right corner of the iTunes window: here's the popup shown:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

Actually, it turns out that in addition you have to go to Preferences|Devices and select "Look for remote speakers connected with AirPlay".
That same dialog should also be set to "Look for iPod touch, iPhone and iPad Remotes" if one is to use the Remote app.

Tks!
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck78 View Post

Am I the only one who does not see Airplay as a great feature for the iPad? I can see how it would be nice on the iphone, because I record HD video, and won't need to sync it with my Mac to be able to watch the video on the TV.

I don't see what the point would be on the iPad. What I REALLY want, would be the ability to stream iTunes protected content from my Mac to my iPad. Why has this feature not been added? \

AirPlay for media is an opening gambit to bypass the free cable box against which everyone is futilely competing. See Jobs' interview a All Things D this year.
In the larger scope of things, this is v0.1

The big things will start happening if/when apps of all kinds start throwing their content (games, apps, etc) up on the big screen via AirPlay.

Think bigger.
post #32 of 52
My 3Gs with GM can no longer find printers with this version of Itunes as it DID with the Beta (it found my networked Brother printer with the previous beta version of itunes). Can the new Itunes prevent that ????
post #33 of 52
Sigh...once the jailbreak for iOS 4.2 comes out, I guess I'm finally going to have to downgrade from iTunes 9.2.1 and start replacing the graphical resources and that abomination of an icon with every single update that comes out. I was looking forward to being able to sidestep that whole neverending struggle against Apple for a while longer.
post #34 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslacker View Post

The difference with AirPlay (for the iMac/Macbook users) is that OTHER apps should be able to stream to aTV. They'll need to be updated to accommodate it of course, but QT, VLC, Plex, embedded videos in a browser... SHOULD all be able to have an option to stream across the local network via AirPlay.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck78 View Post

This is what I've been wondering for the longest. It seemed liked a logical feature of AirPlay. And of course allow us to stream our music to the iPhone (or in your case iPad) as well.

There's the Remote app for the iPhone but what's the deal with not allowing people, for whatever reason, to stream music or videos from the PC/Mac TO your iDevice?
post #36 of 52
You can now set iTunes to "Always Show Artwork" when you are in album view whereas it used to be 3+ tracks (if artwork size set to small) from a same album to see an artwork

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

They'll need to be updated to accommodate it of course, but QT, VLC, Plex, embedded videos in a browser... SHOULD all be able to have an option to stream across the local network via AirPlay.

The day this happens I'm in for an aTV.

But I'm sure Apple has sealed AirPlay shut for only their content.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post

The day this happens I'm in for an aTV.

But I'm sure Apple has sealed AirPlay shut for only their content.

Their content?... Or their Apps?

You can already use ANY content as long as you can store/play it through iTunes.

Being able to stream from 3rd party APPS (VLC can play a lot of stuff iTunes can't!) is, i assume, what you're hoping for. (and so am I)
they've specifically said it will be available from the tube app... So apparently it's not a private API, and anyone should be able to adjust their Apps to utilize it.
post #39 of 52
iTunes now constantly crashes, cannot connect from new Apple TV. Proceed with caution on this one.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4change View Post

iTunes now constantly crashes, cannot connect from new Apple TV. Proceed with caution on this one.

Mine is working fine (other than aTV has not been updated for video yet). I have been streaming audio from two different Macs running 10.1 for about 5 hours now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases iTunes 10.1 with support for iOS 4.2, AirPlay