or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad

Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad

post #1 of 77
Apple on Friday released a second gold master of iOS 4.2, its forthcoming software update, which may address Wi-Fi connectivity issues some have reported with the iPad.

The new build, dubbed 8C134b, has replaced the previous gold master released to developers on Nov. 1. Typically a gold master issued to developers is identical to the version that eventually becomes the final release.

It is unknown what changes have been made in the second gold master, though it's possible the latest version could be to address Wi-Fi issues that some users experienced with the pre-release build. Recent reports have claimed that Apple hoped to release iOS 4.2 sooner, but was forced to push back the launch to address issues with the software.

However, Apple still remains on track for its promised launch window of November.

Numerous reports have made claims of dates of launch dates for the software, but they have changed frequently and so far have been incorrect. The Telegraph added its prediction to the mix on Friday, suggesting that Apple had delayed the release of iOS 4.2 until Nov. 24, based on information given by a "reliable source."

"A source that works closely with Apple said that the company had shelved its original plan to release the software update today, and had instead pushed back the launch until later this month," the report read.

Regardless of whether the software has actually been "delayed" from Apple's own internal launch goals, it has become increasingly apparent that there are issues with iOS 4.2. In addition to the Wi-Fi problems reported by testers of the first golden master, Apple has also cut features from AirPrint -- specifically, the ability to print to a shared printer through a Mac or Windows machine.

Printer sharing was supposed to be a part of Mac OS X 10.6.5, but the software was released Wednesday without any official support for sharing a printer with iOS devices. And iTunes 10.1 was supposed to allow shared printers for Windows users, but the update arrived Friday also without mention of AirPrint.
post #2 of 77
I have the same problem on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2. Hope it's also fixed! So is my wife on her 3GS with 4.2. Pleeeeeeeez fix! Ty ;-)
post #3 of 77
I predicted 24th about a week ago. Not a bad 'guess'.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 77
Quote:
In addition to the Wi-Fi problems reported by testers of the first golden master, Apple has also cut features from AirPrint

Hold on, are you saying they have also removed AirPrint features that exisited in the first GM, from this 2nd GM??

I know they removed them from the final version of 10.6.5, but from iOS 4.2?

I have the 1st 4.2 GM, and can print via my iMac on 10.6.5 fine (after copying some files from the 10.6.5 beta). Why would Apple also remove stuff from 4.2??
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coords View Post

I have the same problem on an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2. Hope it's also fixed! So is my wife on her 3GS with 4.2. Pleeeeeeeez fix! Ty ;-)

Sorry, only the iPad file was updated.
post #6 of 77
Apple need to start using karat ratings along with the gold releases
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple need to start using karats ratings along with the gold releases

hehe Nice!
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #8 of 77
What I can't understand is why they would mess with the networking code. It has worked rather well in iOS. It is hard to believe their drivers are this freakishly unstable.
post #9 of 77
The first edition was only Gold PLATED..... this one is solid Gold
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

hehe Nice!

c'ept I typo'd I should have written karat not karats! I was rushing before some one else wrote it lol
post #11 of 77
Showering us with gold... Oh, wait --
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #12 of 77
This from new iTunes. Yippeee, can't wait to try it.

<Choose which speakers to use
You can listen to iTunes audio through any of the following:

Your computers built-in speakers

Speakers connected to your computer and a power outlet

Remote speakers connected to an AirPort Express network

An AirPlay-enabled device>
post #13 of 77
So recent iOS hardware and software faux pas now read:

Antennagate
Glass Shattering and/or fragility
Withdrawl of Slide on Cases
Proximity Sensor Bug (which personally has forced me to return 2 iPhone4s)
Poor performance of iOS 4 on iPhone 3G
Wifi Connectivity Issues
And now
The disappearance of Airprint

This is not the Apple we love...
post #14 of 77
This release will be twice as Golden as the previous release, and 4 times as magical.
post #15 of 77
I think it was primarily a fix for the mute switch.
post #16 of 77
the most magical update ever. ever. iOS. double click to adjust volume and brightness. i can wirelessly prin... err, NEW FONTS in notepad.

this is incredible. i'm excited it's gone DOUBLE GOLDEN master. double. two times as much golden. the most golden master EVER.

a WHITE case. liquid metal. the most liquid metal EVER in a computer. no one else even comes CLOSE to how liquid our metal is. lightpeak, which we're calling iPeak. it's trippy how fast this is. no one else comes close. now we've got an ad i'd like to show you...
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

I think it was primarily a fix for the mute switch.

Good joke. Apple are not that sensible.
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

the most magical update ever. ever. iOS. double click to adjust volume and brightness. i can wirelessly prin... err, NEW FONTS in notepad.

this is incredible. i'm excited it's gone DOUBLE GOLDEN master. double. two times as much golden. the most golden master EVER.

a WHITE case. liquid metal. the most liquid metal EVER in a computer. no one else even comes CLOSE to how liquid our metal is. lightpeak, which we're calling iPeak. it's trippy how fast this is. no one else comes close. now we've got an ad i'd like to show you...

Whoosh..
post #19 of 77
Thats gold Jerry...gold.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #20 of 77
@ joindup

...can't say that I agree specifically with everything you've said... but I do agree that this isn't the Apple we've known and loved.

Specifically calling out software, I'd like to see all the stuff they've 'promised' on stage, and haven't delivered 'recently'.

Hardware, well, the new iPhone is 90/10 ratio of glass to non-glass. Up from 45/55 with the iPhone 3G's.

Can't say the breakage of the hardware on the iPhone 4 was a complete shock, it's simple physics. (Never saw Antennagate as anything but hype).

post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwacky View Post

Hold on, are you saying they have also removed AirPrint features that exisited in the first GM, from this 2nd GM??

I know they removed them from the final version of 10.6.5, but from iOS 4.2?

I have the 1st 4.2 GM, and can print via my iMac on 10.6.5 fine (after copying some files from the 10.6.5 beta). Why would Apple also remove stuff from 4.2??

From what I can tell, Apple is removing AirPrint to shared printers attached to a Mac or PC, whereas they are maintaining it for use with printers that have native compatibility with AirPrint such as HP's ePrint printers.

This 2nd GM sounds like it's just to fix some serious flaws with Wi-Fi in the previous GM, so probably no change to the AirPrint stack already set for release in iOS 4.2.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What I can't understand is why they would mess with the networking code. It has worked rather well in iOS. It is hard to believe their drivers are this freakishly unstable.

Power management. Wifi is one of the larger power draws after the backlight.
post #23 of 77
Oh come, all ye faithful. Joyful and magical. Oh come ye, oh come ye, to iPad.
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Whoosh..

Ugh. Your feature requests suck.

The green button should not = full screen, but full height only. This would be most practical for single and multiple windows. Your idea yeilds way too much unused horizontal screen real estate, and makes copying from one window to another, or folders on the desktop into a Windows like UI nightmare. Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work.

Also Airplay would make more sense built into the Mac's system audio I/O settings, but that would probably be too confusing for the overwhelming majority of consumers who stream for a limited time (watching a movie), then move the device elsewhere. Having that setting as close as possible to the playback/selection controls (aka iTunes), is the ideal way to do it. Sorry bub.
post #25 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Ugh. Your feature requests suck.

The green button should not = full screen, but full height only. This would be most practical for single and multiple windows. Your idea yeilds way too much unused horizontal screen real estate, and makes copying from one window to another, or folders on the desktop into a Windows like UI nightmare. Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work.

Well that particular request has already come true, thanks for playing. Actually think before you post next time.
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

They didn't remove AirPrint, but had to disable it using shared printers because of legal issues. Hopefully they are resolved soon and can issue an update to OSX that will reenable it. It does work with HP ePrint printers however.
post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well that particular request has already come true, thanks for playing. Actually think before you post next time.

Easy there cupcake - You're not any kind of player, there was no contest, I wasn't requesting a feature, I was explaining.

You should try both reading, then thinking, because those reflexes aren't very impressive.

You'll notice I said that's how the green button 'should' work? (probably not, probably all flustered with crafting your little retort, you forgot to read correctly)
That's how it's supposed to work, but not all apps follow this behavior... even some written by Apple. It also has the annoying habit of sometimes toggling only between the default and custom sizes of a window.

But hey, it's your bolded footer, you can write whatever you like. However I might suggest instead of the convoluted ramblings, you might advertise your ideas better with this.

post #28 of 77
Quote:

Antennagate
Wifi Connectivity Issues
And now

I forgot to add:

Daylight Savings Time Bug
Lack of White iPhone

That's 9 significant annoyances. Apple MUST issue fixes and updates fast if they are to retain their reputation as User Experience leaders. I'm not saying the iPhone isn't still my favorite phone, but added to the problems/feature lacks with MobileMe, iTunes and file management roundtripping and the cloud, I guess I was hoping for a lot more from the whole 10.6.5 + iTunes 10.1 + 4.2 unification release. But.....

I guess I'll have to wait for a white iPhone 5 that Airprints and doesn't drop a signal if I hold it wrong and can update a Pages document in the cloud.

Talk about inviting Android to rush in....
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

c'ept I typo'd I should have written karat not karats! I was rushing before some one else wrote it lol

Carrots would've been better.
post #30 of 77
Quote:

Antennagate
Wifi Connectivity Issues
And now

The funny thing here is that people claim Apple is ignoring the Mac but my Mac literally runs better than when I first got it. IPhone has gone in the opposite direction.

I'm especially bothered by WiFi issues as they have had years now to resolve the issues seen with iOS devices. Think about it how useful would these devices be without connectivity. People actually wonder why I want to see a massive increase in Flash storage in these devices.

As to the poor performance of iOS on the 3G, all the 3G does is demonstrates jut how bad iOS 4.x is in general. The faster machines just mask the fact that iOS 4.x is a steaming pile of dung. The bugs and regressions are still there but your CPU just powers through most of the time. Sadly 3GS and iPhone 4 users still report the same problems I've seen on my 3G.

Even though 4.1 is better it still does nasty things a Unix based machine shouldn't do. For example:

1. A complete hang yesterday in the settings app.
2. Apparent hangs or back ground operation of apps that literally drain the battery in a small fraction of the time it usually lasts. And people wonder why we want a process monitor and associated tools.
3. Numerous Safari and Mail app crashes. I'm not sure if it is a case of running out of memory or other nastiness. I lean to other because there isn't a lot going on with Mail to cause memory faults. Unless of course apps aren't quiting properly or iOS itself is still leaking memory. Note these are Apple coded apps, many of my third party apps are pretty good.

I still like my iPhone but Apple has lost a lot of credibility here. The whole point of buying into the product line is the idea of it just works. Instead of 100% we get just works about 95% of the time.
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Power management. Wifi is one of the larger power draws after the backlight.

Considering WiFi is a key component of these devices last minute glitches like this one simply aren't acceptable. Frankly it should be heavily tested well before golden master time.
post #32 of 77
Why all the fuss about Air Printing? Who prints anything these days anyway? iPad is the best device ever to finally go all paperless and save some trees. My all-in-one printer/scanner/fax these days only gets used for scanning documents from 20th century relics, placing them in my online hard disk, so I can access any document from my iPad anywhere in the world. So, really missing from iOS 4.2 is full WebDav access from all native apps and iWork, not any paper wasting functionality that would require you to leave on your PC or Mac while working on your iPad.
post #33 of 77
Quote:

Antennagate
Wifi Connectivity Issues
And now

I, along with 99.9% of other Apple customers, have not experienced any of these issues. It is also perplexing that you are complaining about the alleged "pulling" of a feature of a product that has not even been released. If you dislike Apple so much, perhaps now is the time to move to the Microsoft forums.
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydog View Post

I, along with 99.9% of other Apple customers, have not experienced any of these issues. It is also perplexing that you are complaining about the alleged "pulling" of a feature of a product that has not even been released. If you dislike Apple so much, perhaps now is the time to move to the Microsoft forums.

Good points and welcome to the forum.

The only thing being pulled from the iPad that bothers me is the removal of the HW orientation lock. Oddly, its the one thing joindup doesnt mention. This was a feature put in place for the release of the iPad and is still there. Thats 8 months itll be used by some people just to be changed when this update is released with no Setting to switch the physical toggle switch from being an orientation lock to a mute switch, which really isnt needed as holding volume down for a second will instantly mute the device.
post #35 of 77
Quote:

The funny thing here is that people claim Apple is ignoring the Mac but my Mac literally runs better than when I first got it. IPhone has gone in the opposite direction.

I'm especially bothered by WiFi issues as they have had years now to resolve the issues seen with iOS devices. Think about it how useful would these devices be without connectivity. People actually wonder why I want to see a massive increase in Flash storage in these devices.

As to the poor performance of iOS on the 3G, all the 3G does is demonstrates jut how bad iOS 4.x is in general. The faster machines just mask the fact that iOS 4.x is a steaming pile of dung. The bugs and regressions are still there but your CPU just powers through most of the time. Sadly 3GS and iPhone 4 users still report the same problems I've seen on my 3G.

Even though 4.1 is better it still does nasty things a Unix based machine shouldn't do. For example:

2. Apparent hangs or back ground operation of apps that literally drain the battery in a small fraction of the time it usually lasts. And people wonder why we want a process monitor and associated tools.
3. Numerous Safari and Mail app crashes. I'm not sure if it is a case of running out of memory or other nastiness. I lean to other because there isn't a lot going on with Mail to cause memory faults. Unless of course apps aren't quiting properly or iOS itself is still leaking memory. Note these are Apple coded apps, many of my third party apps are pretty good.

I still like my iPhone but Apple has lost a lot of credibility here. The whole point of buying into the product line is the idea of it just works. Instead of 100% we get just works about 95% of the time.

This is all inside the package of introducing multitasking, my gut feeling is that iOS is still not ready. The one app at time model worked pretty well and apple somehow started feeling the pressure from the bakery (Google) which produces half baked stuff anyway.

Multitasking is very very complex and it has to undergo a lot of regression to know the issues of the real world and then go back and fix it. But, I am sure they are also equally annoyed as they also own the same device
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

This is all inside the package of introducing multitasking, my gut feeling is that iOS is still not ready. The one app at time model worked pretty well and apple somehow started feeling the pressure from the bakery (Google) which produces half baked stuff anyway.

Multitasking is very very complex and it has to undergo a lot of regression to know the issues of the real world and then go back and fix it. But, I am sure they are also equally annoyed as they also own the same device

iOS has ALWAYS multitasked. From day one. Third party apps have not been allowed to run in the background, that's all.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydog View Post

He has obviously invested in Apple products and if he has had problems that you have not experience why should he not be allowed to make his case. Just because you have not experienced these problems does not invalidate his. Apple is bog enough to take a little criticism.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

iOS has ALWAYS multitasked. From day one. Third party apps have not been allowed to run in the background, that's all.

They are just using known methods for time splicing. What is there to debug?
post #39 of 77
Quote:

It doesnt just work because youre running a modern OS on antiquated hardware. Why is this so hard to comprehend?
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

He has obviously invested in Apple products and if he has had problems that you have not experience why should he not be allowed to make his case. Just because you have not experienced these problems does not invalidate his. Apple is bog enough to take a little criticism.

Exactly, thanks.

Our household is entirely iOS: Macs, AppleTV, the lot. I'm just saying I think that current output is not up to the usual perfectionist standards. When Microsoft and Android are both upping their smartphone games, now is not the time to get sloppy. iPhone 4 return rates are an excellently low 1.7%, but let me tell you, when you can't make a phone call because every time you put it to your ear your ear touches the live buttons because the proximity sensor is faulty is MADDENING. It's precisely because that feeling was exactly the one that made be choose Mac years back after pulling my hair out with Windows that it upsets me so much. It's the little details. Apple products shouldn't make me feel like that.

The cloud and device interconnectivity really are next years big battlegrounds. I'd like Apple to apply the same attention to detail to their software solutions in these areas as they do to their hardware as witnessed by the beautiful new MacBook Airs - that's all.

As for iOS, bugs, I guess I'm just unlucky to be in the 1.7%....
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad