or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

It doesnt just work because youre running a modern OS on antiquated hardware. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

As the subject says the bugs in iOS have nothing to do with the 3G hardware. They may crop up quicker due to the lack of RAM but that only highlights that iOS is very buggy. Besides that I've repeatedly have heard the same complaints from people using newer hardware.

Issues like suddenly running the battery down and requiring a reboot are not unique to the 3G. In fact the only time my iPhone actually gets hot is when iOS is screwed up in some manner. Besides that why should a simple app like settings hang on any version of the hardware? Beyound that what is the issue with Mail having to be restarted, often more than once.

You can stick your hand in the sand if you want but everything I've seen indicates that iOS is the problem and not the hardware. That doesn't mean there aren't 3G specific issues but the vast majority of iOS complaints come from a wide cross section of device owners. If a 3GS or iPhone 4 owner reports the same issues as 3G owners that kinda rules out the 3G hardware doesn't it?

Maybe we need a show of hands! How many out there found themselves with issues after an upgrade to iOS 4.0 on a 3GS? That is finding the need to reboot, issues with iOS supplied apps or general stability issues? I know 4.1 improved this some but every indication I have is that 4.x has issues.
post #42 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydog View Post

I, along with 99.9% of other Apple customers, have not experienced any of these issues.

I don't buy it. 3G issues are widely reported as have been issues with 4.0 on all models.

In effect you are saying you never had Safari crash on your device or never had to reboot to clear performance or battery lifetime issues? This after the upgrade to 4.0.
Quote:
It is also perplexing that you are complaining about the alleged "pulling" of a feature of a product that has not even been released.

Well I will give you that one. So far though iOS has been pretty crappy as a software release.
Quote:
If you dislike Apple so much, perhaps now is the time to move to the Microsoft forums.

See this is the sort of ignorance I find highly distressing. It is not an issue of hate but really one of love for this product of Apples. Many of us see a company that has become reckless with iOS and are thus voicing our opinions loudly. Why.? Maybe because we get pissed off when getting screwed over or taken advantage of. It is pretty obvious that Apples quality control procedures need an overhaul with respect to iPhone and iOS. Frankly I'm not sure how anybody could argue differently the evidence is pretty clear.

Like I said in another post my MBP runs like a champ and has actually gotten much better after purchasing it in early 2008. I can't say that about my iPhone. I like my Mac and even my iPhone, I'm not one however to throw on rose colored glasses to isolate myself from reality. Rather I and I suspect many others, speak up because we really love the iPhone and the concepts behind it and are not at all pleased with what has happened recently with respect to iOS.
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Considering WiFi is a key component of these devices last minute glitches like this one simply aren't acceptable. Frankly it should be heavily tested well before golden master time.

The reality is that no one knows for certain why Apple is delaying the release. However, it seems that Apple just can't win either way. They get reamed for delaying it and not "testing" it enough, and of course, certain folks here will are just looking for the moment to scream at them for putting out a release that had problems.

In this case, they're getting smacked for supposed problems that is in a release that is not even out yet??? IMHO, it's not Gold until it's on actual consumer products. So I'm fine they delayed.

Lighten-up people. I prefer they get it done right the first time out of the gate.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Considering WiFi is a key component of these devices last minute glitches like this one simply aren't acceptable. Frankly it should be heavily tested well before golden master time.

Are you moving the goal posts to say that Apple shouldnt ever have an issue with a development build of iOS? Just because its GM doesnt mean its without issue; do you think these are sent to devs for the fun of it? Its also why there are point updates to major, feature releases. This is software, there will be issues that crop up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Talk about inviting Android to rush in....

Thanks for the laugh, Joindup! Because we all know Android works so well, no problems there

P.S. And I'm NOT trying to cover-up Apple's problems, but to say people are flocking to Android because of some software issues with iOS, is just silly.
post #46 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Easy there cupcake - You're not any kind of player, there was no contest, I wasn't requesting a feature, I was explaining.

You should try both reading, then thinking, because those reflexes aren't very impressive.

You'll notice I said that's how the green button 'should' work? (probably not, probably all flustered with crafting your little retort, you forgot to read correctly)
That's how it's supposed to work, but not all apps follow this behavior... even some written by Apple. It also has the annoying habit of sometimes toggling only between the default and custom sizes of a window.

But hey, it's your bolded footer, you can write whatever you like. However I might suggest instead of the convoluted ramblings, you might advertise your ideas better with this.


Think before you post. Or at least admit you put your foot in it. "Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work."

Remove foot from mouth and quit babbling.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #47 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV View Post

Why all the fuss about Air Printing? Who prints anything these days anyway? iPad is the best device ever to finally go all paperless and save some trees. My all-in-one printer/scanner/fax these days only gets used for scanning documents from 20th century relics, placing them in my online hard disk, so I can access any document from my iPad anywhere in the world. So, really missing from iOS 4.2 is full WebDav access from all native apps and iWork, not any paper wasting functionality that would require you to leave on your PC or Mac while working on your iPad.

I have the idea you could place anything on the glass of the iPad and it would instantly capture it. Business cards, Paper (trickier but still possible) etc. When we have instant paper scanning without the trouble of scanning (which let's face it has been around for 20 years in it's current form)... Then maybe less paper will be used because everything can be instantly captured and sent to the cloud. BTW Evernote is awesome. I just hope their security is up to par, as with MobileMe and Google cloud services. Looks like our heads are truly in the clouds nowadays.
post #48 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Thanks for the laugh, Joindup! Because we all know Android works so well, no problems there

P.S. And I'm NOT trying to cover-up Apple's problems, but to say people are flocking to Android because of some software issues with iOS, is just silly.

Phew, it's getting pretty hard to make constructive criticism these days on AI.

I'm suggesting that a buggy iOS creates an invitation for competitors to attack. I didn't say they HAD taken up the invitation, but I'm big enough to admit that the competitive offerings are improving. I WILL stick by Apple, as their products are legend BUT when a promised feature is possibly dropped, it can make life hard for developers trying to plan Apps which help keep the iPhone ahead.
post #49 of 77
Way too much arguing going on in this thread.

I came here to see if others had installed the second 4.2 gm and are seeing improvements or the same?

My wifi issue, which is the typical documented issue, still exists so far in 4.2 GMb.
post #50 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good points and welcome to the forum.

The only thing being pulled from the iPad that bothers me is the removal of the HW orientation lock. Oddly, its the one thing joindup doesnt mention. This was a feature put in place for the release of the iPad and is still there. Thats 8 months itll be used by some people just to be changed when this update is released with no Setting to switch the physical toggle switch from being an orientation lock to a mute switch, which really isnt needed as holding volume down for a second will instantly mute the device.

I absolutely agree. I will eventually update, but I hate the removal of the hardware orientation lock.
post #51 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

It doesnt just work because youre running a modern OS on antiquated hardware. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

I dont even know how to respond to those people that use a marketing slogan as a absolute engineering requirement. Apples control over the HW and SW does allow them the ability to make smoother transitions than most, but that doesnt mean its going to be a guarantee. If it was to Just Work without fail then wed have little need for point updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I absolutely agree. I will eventually update, but I hate the removal of the hardware orientation lock.

I think Ill write to Mr. Jobs today. Its one thing to change up a feature that is still in Beta (still miss Safari 5 with tabs on top, but I accept it), but 8 months with a setup and no option to change it back in SW seems ridiculous to me.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #52 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Ill write to Mr. Jobs today. Its one thing to change up a feature that is still in Beta (still miss Safari 5 with tabs on top, but I accept it), but 8 months with a setup and no option to change it back in SW seems ridiculous to me.

You mean Safari 4, right? And someone already e-mailed him about it. He's not changing it back and not adding it as an option.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean Safari 4, right? And someone already e-mailed him about it. He's not changing it back and not adding it as an option.

Whatever Safari Beta that had it. I guess it could have been v4b

This is where multiple emails and petitions could have an effect as it requires little effort on Apples part to include a SW settings to switch the physical toggle button between Mute and Orientation.

Did he respond to such an email?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #54 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Whatever Safari Beta that had it. I guess it could have been v4b

Yep, something like that. I miss it as well, and it works with the vertical stoplight as then more of the space is given to tabs and the stoplight can float down beside the toolbar that is always there.

Quote:
Did he respond to such an email?

Sure did. http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/24/...nge-permanent/

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #55 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure did. http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/24/...nge-permanent/

Nuts! That answers my specific request to make it user selectable. Oh well, Ill send my email anyway. You never know how many hes received on the issue or how fast is his position.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #56 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nuts! That answers my specific request to make it user selectable. Oh well, Ill send my email anyway. You never know how many hes received on the issue or how fast is his position.

Steve Jobs can't be swayed from his ideas unless he believes that yours is better. Then he'll behave as though it was always his idea and you had the opposing position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hertzfield, one of the original Macintosh engineers

Well, just because he tells you that something is awful or great, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll feel that way tomorrow. You have to low-pass filter his input. And then, he's really funny about ideas. If you tell him a new idea, he'll usually tell you that he thinks it's stupid. But then, if he actually likes it, exactly one week later, he'll come back to you and propose your idea to you, as if he thought of it.

The iPad was listed as having Mute during the keynote, I believe. The website turned that into an orientation lock, which everyone loved. The switch back is nonsense.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/03/12/goodb...n-lock-switch/

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #57 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good points and welcome to the forum.

The only thing being pulled from the iPad that bothers me is the removal of the HW orientation lock. Oddly, its the one thing joindup doesnt mention. This was a feature put in place for the release of the iPad and is still there. Thats 8 months itll be used by some people just to be changed when this update is released with no Setting to switch the physical toggle switch from being an orientation lock to a mute switch, which really isnt needed as holding volume down for a second will instantly mute the device.

The reason I see for the orientation/mute change is related more to alarms and alerts. If it's nap time (all ages included). You switch on your mute for your iPad and iPhone and you know some alert won't wake up the house without ever turning on your device. Same goes for movies or meetings(turn off beeps). This will be more important when alarm and Skype type app are running in the background . If you need orientation lock it is a given that your iPad is on and in use so software button is always there (double click, swipe, tap button)
post #58 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

I absolutely agree. I will eventually update, but I hate the removal of the hardware orientation lock.

Why, just because? Once you have apps running in the background you'll want to shut off alarms and alerts without looking at or powering up your iPad . You never need to reach in your pack or briefcase to disable the orientation.
post #59 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Why, just because? Once you have apps running in the background you'll want to shut off alarms and alerts without looking at or powering up your iPad . You never need to reach in your pack or briefcase to disable the orientation.

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.

I was wondering that, too. And if there was an alarm I depress the volume down button for an instant to mute the device, as has been the case with v3.x on the iPad.

Trying to see it from Apples PoV, their reasoning may have to do with changes coming with v5.0 (that have easily been ironed out in the release of the iPad) that will make this toggle switch change make sense next year. Meaning, they are getting everything inline now because sooner rather than later is key with iPads sales growing so quickly. Whilst 10M units sold is a lot, it pales in comparison to the number of units to be sold before v5.0 is released.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #61 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you moving the goal posts to say that Apple shouldn’t ever have an issue with a development build of iOS?

Not at all, what I'm saying is that somethings should be stabilized well before a Goldem Master. Things like the kernel, network stack and other basic components of your OS need to stabilize well before you print your final build.

I look at it as an upside down pyramid, with the kernel at the very bottom followed closely by the networking stack and other low level drivers. If these are not right you can't possibly expect the upper levels of code to work correctly nor be especially easy to debug.

So if the indications are correct, that is a change was made that impacted networking right before GM release then yeah it reflects poorly on Apple.
Quote:
Just because it’s GM doesn’t mean it’s without issue;

No software is without issue, I'm certain we agree with that concept. In this case what bothers me is breaking something like networking one rev from release.
Quote:
do you think these are sent to devs for the fun of it?

Not at all. On the other hand how many developers out there dig into the guts of their code and disturb stable logic right before a major release?
Quote:
It’s also why there are point updates to major, feature releases. This is software, there will be issues that crop up.

This is my whole point, it is software which is composed of many components some of which are key. These key components need to be frozen well before the rest of the release and they need to be stable. Especially in the case of iPad where the thing is close to useless without WiFi. An iPad without WiFi is like a tractor without wheels, both can be useful but you need wheels to go anywhere.

Frankly I haven't been in contact with any developers in the last few weeks so maybe this WiFi rumor is all bunk. However back around the time of iOS 4.0 release more than a few people where surprised that Apple went with what they had due to all of the known bugs. I really have this fear that Apple is just becoming very sloppy with iOS releases. It is one thing to have to release point releases for things you didn't catch in QA, it is a whole different ball game when you release point releases to fix things that where previously released very broken. Broken it was if you where anything but a trivial user.

The other way to look at this, at keast personally for me, is that I bought my iPhone 3G and my MBP (early 2008) within a few months of each other. OS/X on my MBP has gotten progressively better while iOS has gotten progressively worst. Sadly it appears that most of iOS's problems involve poor coding or software QC. If you step back a bit the whole iOS development history looks like crap.

The common refrain I hear is that your 3G is old. Anybody with any sense knows that is not an issue because hardware has nothing to do with memory leaks and other coding issues in iOS. There is a limit to how much slack I'm willing to give Apple and obviously some will give Apple more, but they need to know they are not making customers happy out here. We are not all fanbois bent over ready and willing to take everything Apple throws at us, some actually expect software updates to work.
post #62 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I predicted 24th about a week ago. Not a bad 'guess'.

Actually I would say it is a bad guess. That's the day before Thanksgiving and the stores and Apple Care will be closed on Thursday and Friday, perhaps also Saturday will be all hands on selling at the stores. No way are they going to do a software release during that time and risk total madness when it bonks folks phones and ipads.

My guess is that it will release early this next week or early the week after the holiday. Since they have already released iTunes 10.1 this coming week seems more likely.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bulk001 View Post

He has obviously invested in Apple products and if he has had problems that you have not experience why should he not be allowed to make his case. Just because you have not experienced these problems does not invalidate his. Apple is bog enough to take a little criticism.

THe issue isn't pointing out a problem etc. It's this constant painting of everything as a Design Flaw, a Tragic Error, a Serious Faux Pas etc when the number of affected parties is actually a very small percent (less than 5% in most issues). No software, electronic device etc is perfect with some companies getting a pass on things like a 60% failure rate within the first 4 months of purchase. But because it is Apple, it's huge. Even when it's 1/10th of 1% and the primary cause is some other party like the cell phone carrier having shitty coverage.

Blowing everything Apple way out of proportion has become the Tech version of getting thousands of hits by debating whether the kid in Harry Potter is gay or if those crazy kids in Twilight really are madly in love and even secretly had a kid they are hiding in England with his parents.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #63 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was wondering that, too. And if there was an alarm I depress the volume down button for an instant to mute the device, as has been the case with v3.x on the iPad.

Trying to see it from Apples PoV, their reasoning may have to do with changes coming with v5.0 (that have easily been ironed out in the release of the iPad) that will make this toggle switch change make sense next year. Meaning, they are getting everything inline now because sooner rather than later is key with iPads sales growing so quickly. Whilst 10M units sold is a lot, it pales in comparison to the number of units to be sold before v5.0 is released.

No clock/alarm app? What do you mean? on the top 10 utilities the #1 paid app is an alarm clock and there are like four more just on that page between paid and free. Also by the time you press and hold the volume button you have all ready disturbed the whole room.
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What alarms? It's an iPad. There's no clock app.

Haha! There an app for that!
There are lots of them you just have to get them from the app store ? with 4.2 they should run in the background, right?
post #65 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

No clock/alarm app? What do you mean? on the top 10 utilities the #1 paid app is an alarm clock and there are like four more just on that page between paid and free.

You missed Tallest Skils point, though it seems you did so intentionally as I cant imagine his comment would be interpreted to mean that there are no alarm clock apps on the iPad App Store.

The very fact that its not a default app on the iPad, but is on the iPhone and iPod Touch is an indication that alarms are a requirement for day-to-day iPad operations. Ive still downloaded one, yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.

Quote:
Also by the time you press and hold the volume button you have all ready disturbed the whole room.

I can find and press the volume down switch before the toggle switch. First of all, the volume switch is larger, secondly its not encumbered by the Apple made iPad case like the toggle switch is. Regardless, the difference in time would be so slight that your argument is invalidated.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #66 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

The reason I see for the orientation/mute change is related more to alarms and alerts. If it's nap time (all ages included). You switch on your mute for your iPad and iPhone and you know some alert won't wake up the house without ever turning on your device. Same goes for movies or meetings(turn off beeps). This will be more important when alarm and Skype type app are running in the background . If you need orientation lock it is a given that your iPad is on and in use so software button is always there (double click, swipe, tap button)

You just made the point for keeping the orientation lock the way it is. When you mute alarms and alerts you only going to do it once, at the start of the nap, meeting or movie (who is going to take their iPad into a movie?) and then undo it when you are done. So the Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap is no issue. You do it once and forget about it. Whereas I end up resetting the orientation lock several times within a web session and will find the SW method very tedious.

As an example;
I prefer to view Wired.com and MacRumors.com in portrait mode. Their site designs are such that I can zoom in on their text so that I can read it while still maintaining their columns within the iPads screen. While AppleInsider, this site, has one column taking the full page width. The displayed text is to small to read, yet when I zoom in so that I can read the text the lines go off the edge of the screen forcing me to scroll back and forth. Thus I view this site in landscape. (The text is still to small but I can read it, and I do not have to scroll.)

So with your method my web surfing will be:
Display Mac Rumors.
Lock the screen with four actions
Zoom in so that the text is large enough to read.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Display AppleInsider.
Unlock the screen with four actions.
Rotate to Landscape.
Lock the screen with four actions.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Display Wired.com
Unlock the screen with four actions.
Rotate to Portrait.
Lock the screen with four actions.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Unlock the screen with four actions when done surfing.

How is replacing the single toggle switch action with Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap actions better? Especially when doing several screen reorientations within one web session? Your alarm muting will only be done at the beginning of a session and again at the end of the session. The SW screen orientation will be a pain in the butt for those using their iPads to read, surf the web and playing games. And a loss of functionality for those who will not be using their iPad as oversized phones.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #67 of 77
Funny I've really only used the lock with iBooks. I never seem to use it surfing the web. Just shows the iPad is something different to everyone.
post #68 of 77
Keep in mind, you only EVER have to do this when you're browsing in bed. Which, for most people, is not very often. When you're browsing while sitting up, you don't HAVE to do any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

You just made the point for keeping the orientation lock the way it is. When you mute alarms and alerts you only going to do it once, at the start of the nap, meeting or movie (who is going to take their iPad into a movie?) and then undo it when you are done. So the Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap is no issue. You do it once and forget about it. Whereas I end up resetting the orientation lock several times within a web session and will find the SW method very tedious.

As an example;
I prefer to view Wired.com and MacRumors.com in portrait mode. Their site designs are such that I can zoom in on their text so that I can read it while still maintaining their columns within the iPads screen. While AppleInsider, this site, has one column taking the full page width. The displayed text is to small to read, yet when I zoom in so that I can read the text the lines go off the edge of the screen forcing me to scroll back and forth. Thus I view this site in landscape. (The text is still to small but I can read it, and I do not have to scroll.)

So with your method my web surfing will be:
Display Mac Rumors.
Lock the screen with four actions
Zoom in so that the text is large enough to read.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Display AppleInsider.
Unlock the screen with four actions.
Rotate to Landscape.
Lock the screen with four actions.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Display Wired.com
Unlock the screen with four actions.
Rotate to Portrait.
Lock the screen with four actions.
Continue viewing the site till done.

Unlock the screen with four actions when done surfing.

How is replacing the single toggle switch action with Double-Tap > Swipe > Tap actions better? Especially when doing several screen reorientations within one web session? Your alarm muting will only be done at the beginning of a session and again at the end of the session. The SW screen orientation will be a pain in the butt for those using their iPads to read, surf the web and playing games. And a loss of functionality for those who will not be using their iPad as oversized phones.
post #69 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Showering us with gold... Oh, wait --

Tut tut!
post #70 of 77
I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x
post #71 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x

The software solution works. It works well. It's easy to use.

So instead of adapting to the software solution, you'll give up all the other advantages of the upgrade... mmmkay...

Knock yourself out.
post #72 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x

This is, without questions, the biggest waste of breath I've ever read an undoubtedly the dumbest apple issue to ever be discussed ad nauseum.

Who cares. I have to take great issue with any who whines about this for more than 5 seconds before moving on.

BY the way, THE FRIGGING SLEEP/WAKE BUTTON, is all you need to mute alarms.
post #73 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You missed Tallest Skils point, though it seems you did so intentionally as I cant imagine his comment would be interpreted to mean that there are no alarm clock apps on the iPad App Store.

The very fact that its not a default app on the iPad, but is on the iPhone and iPod Touch is an indication that alarms are a requirement for day-to-day iPad operations. Ive still downloaded one, yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.


I can find and press the volume down switch before the toggle switch. First of all, the volume switch is larger, secondly its not encumbered by the Apple made iPad case like the toggle switch is. Regardless, the difference in time would be so slight that your argument is invalidated.

My real point has nothing to do with clock apps. My point is that it is more useful to be able to insure your iPad remains silent (or just check to confirm that mute is on or off) with out turning it on than it is to toggle the orientation lock, not only that but you can still silence it quickly the way you described. That function is not going away. Once ipads start getting alerts from thing like game time, the mute switch might seem more useful. Anyway someone at Apple seems to agree with me, so the word invalidated comes across as a little strong, at least to me.
Also if you reread your post you seem to contradict yourself when you say "alarms are a requirement" and "I've still download one". (invalidating your argument )
post #74 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I use the lock switch all the time. If they're changing it to a useless (for me) mute button I may just stick with 3.x

I'm the opposite. I don't think I ever used the lock button except the first morning on the try all the switches routine. I routinely reach for it when going to mute the iPad though, then have to move down to the volume when I don't get the same little shake I get with the iPhone. So for me it will finally work like it feels it should.
.
Reply
.
Reply
post #75 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiJoe View Post

Also if you reread your post you seem to contradict yourself when you say "alarms are a requirement" and "I've still download one". (invalidating your argument )

My use of the conjunction yet should have give rise to the statement itself not making sense. Its clear I accidentally omitted a negative.

" Ive still [never] downloaded [an alarm app for my iPad], yet use the one on my iPhone all the time.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #76 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Keep in mind, you only EVER have to do this when you're browsing in bed. Which, for most people, is not very often. When you're browsing while sitting up, you don't HAVE to do any of this.

I also use it in my lunger. Keep in mind that I do my personal web surfing at home not at work.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #77 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Think before you post. Or at least admit you put your foot in it. "Apple figured that out long ago, and is probably a serious contributing factor into why you aren't doing much OS/UI work."

Remove foot from mouth and quit babbling.

Sigh. I'm still waiting for your actual rebuttal, but I'm guessing you can't defend yourself - hence the repetitive deflection.

Why exactly should I be putting my foot in my mouth, because you can't comprehend how the little green button works? Seriously, go back and re-read - because I think your emotions are clogging-up your reasoning bandwidth.

Like I said "you aren't doing much OS/UI work.", those silly feature requests will never appear in OS X Lion, but your tears will make my OS X upgrade all the sweeter. Enjoy, cupcake.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple issues developers second iOS 4.2 gold master for iPad