or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)

Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)

post #1 of 155
Some people need to learn what the meaning of ad hominem is, but whatever. Point remains, the best way to help the environment is not to parrot bullshit claims backed by major polluting corporations with huge incentives to keep the status quo and put real science under wraps. No, we need to actually confront our environment issues, starting right at home.

Please post as many do-it-yourself or relatively inexpensive home improvement tips aimed at reducing our impact on the environment (and as a side benefit, our utility bills, too).

I'll get us started (one more time):

Here's how you can convert your regular single flush toilet into a dual flush toilet for roughly $30:

Lifehacker article about it
Direct link to the process

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 155
Here's another AWESOME tip.

Below are links telling you how you can opt out of receiving those stupid yellow pages deliveries you don't want anymore. We don't need such a huge waste of paper in the digital age.

Direct link to the opt-out site

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #3 of 155
I'll email Al Gore a link to this thread.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #4 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Why start this? Let's chill.

無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #5 of 155
Thank you for your non-contribution to this thread, Jazzguru. Please do not clutter this thread with your nonsense agenda. Back to tips:

Here's a link to how to recycle a lot of our old computer and tech gadgetry. It's very bad to just throw this stuff out. There are very easy ways of handling it, and sometimes even make a little money back in the process:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Reduce,_...ur_Old_Gadgets

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #6 of 155
One area where there could be more green is in packaging. Apple has made a start in minimizing the amount of packaging for their products. Ever see the amount of plastic used for packaging products like cosmetics and house hold products or hardware?

case in point: http://www.tedxgreatpacificgarbagepatch.com/
post #7 of 155
Agreed. Video game boxes have certainly shrunk over the years. But you are absolutely right. I see just as much excessive packaging as ever.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #8 of 155
Not entirely sure I get the title: "Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)"

Is this addressed to the many rich politicians, celebrities and climate change pundits who, despite preaching to the rest of us, live rather lavish lifestyles in multiple homes, multiple cars, private planes flying all over the world, etc.?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #9 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Agreed. Video game boxes have certainly shrunk over the years. But you are absolutely right. I see just as much excessive packaging as ever.

Get several large re-usable shopping bags, if you have a few $ get nice unbleached cotton ones that will last a few years.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #10 of 155
MJ, I normally have you on ignore but viewed your post anyway to see if you had a constructive tip. Turns out you didn't. I should have guessed.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #11 of 155
Quote:

MJ, I normally have you on ignore but viewed your post anyway to see if you had a constructive tip. Turns out you didn't. I should have guessed.

No, btu I have a valid and relevant question. Exactly who's hypocrisy are you addressing. The only hypocrisy I'm seeing are the wealthy, already have it made in the shade, "preachers" who are telling the rest of us what we should do while they live quite lavish un-green lifestyles. Or the politicians and bureaucrats who drive around in SUVs and fly big jets all over the world to climate change summits" to decide how the rest of us should live our lives. A president who burns more carbon on an average 2-week vacation than the average person does in a lifetime. The Al Gores and James Camerons of the world to pick only two of the most obvious examples.

Who's hypocrisy are you addressing with this thread?

P.S. Absent a valid answer to this question we have no choice but to assume this hypocrisy you refer to is some bullshit figment of your imagination.

post #12 of 155
i have an easier and COST FREE method, i just tell my family not to flush pee but once a day and just before bed time

we've been doing it for a while and except for company it works i should put a sticker on my commode but my guests can have that option of flush or no flush

and if we flush twice a day and just before bed it works

also, you can't retrofit a powerflush system as we have, so this is the best solution
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #13 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

No, btu I have a valid and relevant question. Exactly who's hypocrisy are you addressing. The only hypocrisy I'm seeing are the wealthy, already have it made in the shade, "preachers" who are telling the rest of us what we should do while they live quite lavish un-green lifestyles. Or the politicians and bureaucrats who drive around in SUVs and fly big jets all over the world to climate change summits" to decide how the rest of us should live our lives. A president who burns more carbon on an average 2-week vacation than the average person does in a lifetime. The Al Gores and James Camerons of the world to pick only two of the most obvious examples.

P.S. Absent a valid answer to this question we have no choice but to assume this hypocrisy you refer to is some bullshit figment of your imagination.

I am refusing to answer this question because the person in question may report me again and I'd prefer not to get another infraction. So get the fuck out of the thread unless you are going to actually contribute something, please.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #14 of 155
Quote:

I am refusing to answer this question because the person in question may report me again and I'd prefer not to get another infraction. So get the fuck out of the thread unless you are going to actually contribute something, please.

I have contributed something. I have contributed a valid and relevant question.

P.S. I'm pretty sure you don't "own" this thread. It's public now. If you wish to make claims about hypocrisy then you should be prepared to defend those claims.

post #15 of 155
One way I cut my carbon foot print is to use public transportation more. I often have to go downtown and I find that taking the Metro faster and don't have to find parking and in downtown that's $10-$20.
post #16 of 155
Quote:

Some people need to learn what the meaning of ad hominem is, but whatever. Point remains, the best way to help the environment is not to parrot bullshit claims backed by major polluting corporations with huge incentives to keep the status quo and put real science under wraps. No, we need to actually confront our environment issues, starting right at home.

Please post as many do-it-yourself or relatively inexpensive home improvement tips aimed at reducing our impact on the environment (and as a side benefit, our utility bills, too).

I'll get us started (one more time):

Here's how you can convert your regular single flush toilet into a dual flush toilet for roughly $30:

Direct link to the process

That's a pretty cool article and as an owner of one dual-flush toilet I've seen it and thought of using it to convert the other two. Another thing I've pondered instead is simply using something to fill up part of the space in the older toilets so they use less water for each flush.

I personally installed an evaporative cooler in my house a few years ago. The effect on the electric bill was immediate and it paid for itself in the first summer even when it cost me over $500 just for the cooler itself.

My wife at first was very skeptical about the cooler but now she, like I, prefer the feel of it to air conditioning. Air conditioning sucks all the moisture out of the air and makes my skin feel very dry. The evaporative cooler makes the air feel just right in our dry summers.

In California, the king of regulation and government incentives, I'm shocked as to why evaporative coolers are not mandated or that there is not at least a large program of some sort encouraging their use. I saw them all over the place in New Mexico.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #17 of 155
Quote:

Actually, he does have a good point. Who is the hypocrite you are calling out?

Also on the subject, I know of many who have gotten large 50 Gallon drums and attached them to their downspouts of their homes and then used them to water their lawns and gardens rather than the hose. You actually get relatively pure water for the plants and none of the chemicals the city puts in it. As an added bonus, you can get a break in your sewer rate for managing your storm-water runoff...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #18 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

That's a pretty cool article and as an owner of one dual-flush toilet I've seen it and thought of using it to convert the other two. Another thing I've pondered instead is simply using something to fill up part of the space in the older toilets so they use less water for each flush.

I personally installed an evaporative cooler in my house a few years ago. The effect on the electric bill was immediate and it paid for itself in the first summer even when it cost me over $500 just for the cooler itself.

My wife at first was very skeptical about the cooler but now she, like I, prefer the feel of it to air conditioning. Air conditioning sucks all the moisture out of the air and makes my skin feel very dry. The evaporative cooler makes the air feel just right in our dry summers.

In California, the king of regulation and government incentives, I'm shocked as to why evaporative coolers are not mandated or that there is not at least a large program of some sort encouraging their use. I saw them all over the place in New Mexico.

You see more swamp coolers in the central and San Joaquin Valleys. When I lived there, we also had a large exhaust ceiling fan. Both worked fine to keep the house cool.
post #19 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

You see more swamp coolers in the central and San Joaquin Valleys. When I lived there, we also had a large exhaust ceiling fan. Both worked fine to keep the house cool.

My grandparents had a nice home in Chino and had one of those large ceiling exhaust fans at the top of their stairs. It made a huge difference in the cooling of their home.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #20 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i have an easier and COST FREE method, i just tell my family not to flush pee but once a day and just before bed time

we've been doing it for a while and except for company it works i should put a sticker on my commode but my guests can have that option of flush or no flush

and if we flush twice a day and just before bed it works

also, you can't retrofit a powerflush system as we have, so this is the best solution

That's great for areas that have their water shipped in from 100s of miles aways but doesn't mean a whole lot for those of us in the great lakes region.

Wanna reduce your energy use? Use a clothesline.
post #21 of 155
When cooking something in an oven don't preheat it and turn it off maybe 10 mins before the normal end - the oven will stay hot if you don't open it and cook it with the retained heat.

Also use smaller pots/pans when boiling or frying.

When washing clothes or dishwashers make sure they're full and try to use warm or cold as opposed to hot...can save loads if you get a cold water detergent.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #22 of 155
Oh..I think BR's Yellow Pages tip was a good one... in the UK there is a similar scheme where you can opt-out of junk mail and have the junk lists monitored to make sure you stay off for a yearly subscription.

The idea is you buy a removal kit and the company plants some trees but the real benefit is in making a dent in the 400M junk mail that is produced every year.

The only one I can find for the US is Green Dimes but their site seems to be down.
post #23 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I very much appreciate your very relevant and thoughtful post on topic. I'm definitely going to look into one of those swamp coolers. Are you with LA DWP? What was your actual monthly savings? For two months in the summer, I only paid roughly $400 for my water & power--roughly $150 to $200 more than my winter usage.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #24 of 155
Quote:

It is important with all the pollution we face everyday we are lucky we are alive! Start with having programs at night in schools pertaining to the seniors and the newly arrived immigrants who are legal here and want to become citizens eventually.Educate all of them on the environment.
post #25 of 155
Quote:

Thank you for your non-contribution to this thread, Jazzguru. Please do not clutter this thread with your nonsense agenda. Back to tips:

Here's a link to how to recycle a lot of our old computer and tech gadgetry. It's very bad to just throw this stuff out. There are very easy ways of handling it, and sometimes even make a little money back in the process:

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Reduce,_...ur_Old_Gadgets

Yes, because you started such a balanced and non-political thread. Speaking of which, I find it ironic that while you attack those who parrot the large, polluting corporations rhetoric, you ignore the rhetoric on the other side. We're not going to save the planet by using CFLs and buying Smart Cars.

Now, if you want to discuss actual ideas for making one's home more environmentally friendly, that's one thing. Start with high efficiency windows, appliances and heating/cooling. Recycle. Use more paper than plastic. Turn off lights when not needed. Keep the thermostat at 68 in the winter instead of 72....and 72 in the summer instead of 68. What the greenies have to learn, though, is that by focusing on things such as houses made out of shipping containers and cars that run on dung, they paint themselves as extreme.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #26 of 155
A great place to start is getting a home energy audit.

A basic audit can determine how much electricity your household consumes and making recommendations as far as energy-efficient appliances and lifestyle changes.

In the more thorough audits, sophisticated technology is used to determine whether your home is properly sealed and insulated. They may also observe you and your family for a day or two so they can recommend specific lifestyle changes that can help you conserve energy and resources.

Some power companies offer free energy audits upon request, so that is a good place to start.

There are many companies out there specializing in these audits and prices vary, but if you act upon their recommendations, you will recoup the cost of the audit and much more with the money you will save on your utility bills.

Google "home energy audit" for more info.

Also, if anyone here has already had a HEA please share your experience!

post #27 of 155
Quote:

I very much appreciate your very relevant and thoughtful post on topic. I'm definitely going to look into one of those swamp coolers. Are you with LA DWP? What was your actual monthly savings? For two months in the summer, I only paid roughly $400 for my water & power--roughly $150 to $200 more than my winter usage.

I'm with SCE. We had some $400+ electric bills during the summers in the past. It was because of A.C. and we have a pool that has to run the filter as well. The most expensive bill we've had the past two summers in $250. So most months the savings is at least $150.

I try to keep reminding myself to install a clothes line too. Thanks for the thread and the suggestion from FloorJack. We have a natural gas heater so I'm not sure how large the savings will be, but you can't beat free with regard to a clothes line.

post #28 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post

Get several large re-usable shopping bags, if you have a few $ get nice unbleached cotton ones that will last a few years.

Reusable bags are an excellent idea, but be careful:

Even Reusable Bags Carry Environmental Risk

post #29 of 155
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

It is important with all the pollution we face everyday we are lucky we are alive! Start with having programs at night in schools pertaining to the seniors and the newly arrived immigrants who are legal here and want to become citizens eventually.Educate all of them on the environment.

Nice comment, but you didn't have to link it to mine. Totally taking mine out of context. If you need to understand what was meant check out the exchange between BR and jg in Climategate.

Quote:

Quote:

post #30 of 155
Quote:

Thank you for your non-contribution to this thread, Jazzguru. Please do not clutter this thread with your nonsense agenda.

I was just returning the favor for cluttering the Climategate thread with your "nonsense agenda".

post #31 of 155
Replacing your showerheads and faucets with low-flow fixtures is a cheap and effective way to cut down on water consumption.

Look for fixtures that flow 1.5 gpm (gallons per minute) or less.

post #32 of 155
Quote:

I was just returning the favor for cluttering the Climategate thread with your "nonsense agenda".

jg speaks

post #33 of 155
Quote:

jg speaks

You must have missed my post on Home Energy Audits.

post #34 of 155
Quote:

You must have missed my post on Home Energy Audits.

If it's in your Climategate thread---left that and don't intend to return any time soon. You have been more engaging here than in Cg.
post #35 of 155
Quote:

If it's in your Climategate thread---left that and don't intend to return any time soon. You have been more engaging here than in Cg.

Good grief, man. Scroll up.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=26

post #36 of 155
One master switch that turns off multiple lights and electrical outlets at the same time:

http://www.greenswitch.tv

My wife has a habit of turning on every single light in the house (well, it seems like every single light to me) and leaving them on even when it's not needed.

Despite my frequent pleadings with her to turn off lights when she's done with them, I often find myself going around the house turning off lights. This GreenSwitch thingy would save me a lot of trouble at night and when leaving the house! And it would save me some $, too! I'm currently renting, but I'll definitely have something like this installed in the next home I own.

Also, GreenSwitch is made right here in the good ol' USA!

post #37 of 155
Quote:

Reusable bags are an excellent idea, but be careful:

Even Reusable Bags Carry Environmental Risk

It is very nice of you to support my post but I have preempted the led problem by recommending unbleached cotton canvas bags. These bags will probably last for decades and you can wash them when they get funky. I have collectible WWI cotton canvas bags from the US military which are like new. Unfortunately this quality of cotton is no longer available.

Purchasing items which will last long is an excellent way to go green. This includes LED lights which may seem expensive but in the long term they are a great investment. Reclaimed wood furniture is not only the latest home fashion rage but also saves a lot of trees and energy and will last forever as well.

As a rule if you think you get a great deal on an appliance think again. A few 100 spent on better quality products will save you 1,000 over time.
yes I want oil genocide.
yes I want oil genocide.
post #38 of 155
Quote:

Replacing your showerheads and faucets with low-flow fixtures is a cheap and effective way to cut down on water consumption.

Look for fixtures that flow 1.5 gpm (gallons per minute) or less.

Really? We did an experiment in our house with this. It turns out that water consumption actually went down with higher flow shower heads.

Low flow toilets also present their own problems, like sometimes needing to flush (at least) twice for solid waste.

post #39 of 155
Quote:

Really? We did an experiment in our house with this. It turns out that water consumption actually went down with higher flow shower heads.

Low flow toilets also present their own problems, like sometimes needing to flush (at least) twice for solid waste.

Hence the dual-flush toilets that you can upgrade to with a DIY kit. Small flush for small things, large flush for your huge gnarly dumps.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #40 of 155
Since this thread is all about environmentalism, and hypocrisy, I had to throw this old canard out there: It's old news, but for those who haven't seen this, have a look at this, when it comes to hypocrisy re. environmentalism:

Ain't it weird that Al Gore's mega-mansion in Nashville is an extreme example of energy-wastage, yet its owner is known for his "stance on protecting the environment" (?!!)...... and just as strange that George W. Bush's ranch in Texas is the model of sound environmentally-conscious planning/design, yet his policies as president were as anti-environment as its possible to be.

Which form of hypocrisy is worse?... it's hard to gauge.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Green Your House (or how not to be a raging hypocrite)